Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Shepherd

Article: Love at First Sight

By Shepherd Bliss
    WaccoBB.net

I’ve never believed much in that old saw “love at first sight.” But that is the way it happened when I met Winnie at the Sebastopol Farmers’ Market on Jan. 27. Our eyes met. She came toward me. So I opened my arms and held her. After a few hours of walking around and introducing this Cazadero resident to my small town friends, I took a risk and invited her to my place.

I bought her favorite food along the way, as well as a few special treats. She was glad to be well-fed and well-provided for. After a few hours, I bedded Winnie. We both fell asleep soon and easily, without any fuss, after an active day together, mainly walking and talking.

In the middle of the night, I noticed a strong smell, which woke me up. I had been warned by her Cazadero human companions that 12-week-old Winnie was not yet house-broken. What to do? I’ve become a Mr. Fix-It. We manage, with the good counsel of other dog-lovers.

Winnie is a Catahoula Leopard Hound. I find her beautiful, spots and all, as well as highly communicative. Who could resist those blue eyes gazing right at you?

She has a diamond shape on her back and stands as if she were royalty, her head proudly held high. She plows ahead, focused, with me in tow, barely able to keep up with her on her large paws. Though I do physical work most days of the year on my farm, after only a week with Winnie I find myself growing stronger, in various ways, to meet her needs.

On the first time I took her to the cows next door, she pointed at them and stood at attention, ready to work. Catahoulas are herders and hunters. They were apparently the first North American breed, originating in Louisiana, where they are cherished as the state dog.

Winnie seldom barks. She welcomes strangers who approach her in friendly ways. But when in my lap, she growls, barks, and snaps at those who need training on how to approach dogs appropriately. I am now her protector, but when she gets around 50 pounds and two feet tall, she will be my protector.

The thought of having a dog on my farm had occurred to me. It could be helpful. So I began dog-walking: a week with Yoshi, a small Japanese Shebu Enu; then Bliss, with whom I share a name—a Blue Meryl Collie; and Tilia, an Australian Shepherd.

Winnie has some of their characteristics. But I was not thinking of a puppy. Now I am this puppy’s guardian and she is what some Native American’s call my “side-by.” What a learning curve, especially for one’s first dog as an adult nearly 70 years old.

Winnie is expensive—hundreds of dollars already, with much more to come. She causes troubles. She makes me break the rules. How could I not take her to my college classes, even if it is against university policy? So I was called on the carpet, especially after what she left on the carpet. My communication students, however, sat on the floor around her and adored her, which she reciprocated. We talked about two-leggeds communicating with other animal forms. Winnie was also exiled from my yoga class, to which she was welcomed by the teacher and students. But, alas, there are the rule-keepers.

Winnie has been accumulating uncles and aunties. “I laughed when you reported about the ‘expensiveness’ of owning a dog,” said her Uncle John Taylor. “On a practical level, you are correct; there is cost there.”

Uncle John spent fifteen years as the companion of a dog, who recently passed away. “Having Gilly was the best investment I've ever made. The return in joy, happiness, initiating and building new relationships with others, and much, much more paid me back a thousand time over whatever it cost me in dollars.”

“I believe that dogs like it when their people or person talk to them, about anything and everything,” Uncle John later added. “They hear the tone, feel the emotion, and it helps them to feel connected.” These thoughtful words helped me accept that my talking to Winnie about all kinds of things does not mean that I am going crazy. She listens and seems to help me solve various problems. I’ve noticed that she calms down more easily when I speak to her in Spanish. It is, after all, a romantic language. Winnie is a romantic who radiates unconditional love. I tend to be more serious.

It takes a village to raise a puppy. Two days after Winnie first folded herself into my arms, I attended a Sebastopol Grange pot-luck and meeting. I feared that Winnie might be expelled, as officials tried to do when I took her to college.

Grangers Deborah Thayer and Kathy Johnson, two experienced dog-sitters, immediately took Winnie into their arms, which made it easier for me to eat. “I love how emotional dogs are,” commented Auntie Deborah. She added, “Lord, make me the person my dog thinks I am.” On the next night I attended a Sonoma County Grange pot-luck at the Seed Bank in Petaluma, where two more volunteer Granger aunties enabled me to eat by holding a content Winnie in their laps. It is good to be in such groups as the Grange, many of whom are farmers and have animals.

Winnie recently spent two hours at a Sebastopol City Council meeting, where she fell asleep. I was proud of her for staying in my lap and curling up into a ball. A friend sat right behind me the entire time. When I turned around at the end of the meeting, he was surprised to see that I had a dog in my lap during the entire meeting. I do not expect Winnie to always be so calm.

“I witnessed Winnie attend a 3 hour public hearing,” commented Thomas Morabito. “She maintained a level of decorum far exceeding that of the two-legged creatures in the room. I am sure that once Mr. Bliss is properly trained, those little spots on the rug will go away.” That training is scheduled to start soon, and I do need it.

Winnie has a mind of her own and is strong-willed. She marches to a different drummer, herself, and march she does. After walking or playing with her, I announce “Now it’s my turn and I have some work to do.” Winnie responds with her “Oh yea?” look. She circles me and tries to draw me into her play. Or she wants me to follow her self-educating toward the work she plans to do. I do my best to set limits and be the head of our small pack, but it is not easy. I do not know how my mother managed five children.

I’m new to the dog world. The last dog I had was well over half a century ago, Spot, when I was an enthusiastic child, as Winnie is. Now I’m an old man, who can hardly keep up with Winnie. If I had thought about getting this puppy and all the consequences, I probably would not have done it. But it was the heart connection that guided me to adopt her. She opens my heart and draws me into her play. Accepting her into my life was the right thing to do.

My already messy house is now more messy. My daily schedule has changed, adapting to Winnie’s needs. She already chewed her way through my phone cord. What is the message there? Perhaps “pay even more attention to me.”

Now I am in a new world—the dog world, “four legs attached to a nose,” as one person describes this delightful animal that can “keep its nose to the ground.” That is a wise thing to do, especially at this unpredictable time in history. Winnie is scent driven, and there are many interesting smells here at Kokopelli farm.

My previous animal-of-choice was the chicken. For a while, I had 80 here on the farm, from whom I learned a lot. I have written about “Chicken Wisdom.” They are much smarter than most people think, being the prey that they are.

More recently, I have also been working with horses. One group that I work with uses horses to help military veterans; it can be reached at www.horesesbuildingcommunities.org. Chickens and now horses and dogs, as well as the feral cats that roam the land that I share with them, have all become my teachers.

The dog-loving world of humans is a helpful community. When I walk alone, no one hardly notices me. But while walking with Winnie people come up and inquire what kind of dog she is and can they touch her. Her fur is very soft and she is a master at cuddling, one might even say a teacher. She is alert to what is happening around her. This is a good thing for people in our fast-moving 21st century of mass distraction by all the gadgets, media, and advertising to learn.

(Shepherd Bliss {[email protected]) has operated the Kokopelli Farm for the last 20 years, teaches college, and has contributed to two dozen books.)
    Last edited by Barry; 02-12-2013 at 12:51 PM.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    Shandi

Re: Article: Love at First Sight

Beautifully expressed! May I suggest that you pick up a couple of books on dogs. This will help you make the necessary adjustments, and be a great support. Although I've owned both cats and dogs most of my life, I find that when I pick up a book on cats (which I now have) I'm always learning something new, and helpful.

There are books on this breed, which you may not find in a thrift store.You can get a lot of information online. Each breed has different characteristics, and it pays to know what they are. But there are general books, which apply to most any kind of dog.

Remember what the Dog Whisperer says, the priorities are "Discipline, Excercise, and Affection....in that order." He knows his stuff, and has helped a lot of people whose lives have been wrecked, because they didn't follow these principles. Dogs are pack animals, and their nature is to either be the pack leader, or follow the pack leader. YOU ARE THE PACK LEADER, which means you have the responsiblity for teaching this young one. Or he will be the PACK LEADER, and the outcome will not be pleasant, but more of the same. I've seen so many people who allow their dogs to run their homes. It's not that difficult to do what's needed. Dogs are like our children. Would we want our children to run our lives?

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Shepherd: View Post
    By Shepherd Bliss
    WaccoBB.net

I’ve never believed much in that old saw “love at first sight.” But that is the way it happened when I met Winnie at the Sebastopol Farmers’ Market on Jan. 27. Our eyes met. She came toward me. So I opened my arms and held her. After a few hours of walking around and introducing this Cazadero resident to my small town friends, I took a risk and invited her to my place.

I bought her favorite food along the way, as well as a few special treats. She was glad to be well-fed and well-provided for. After a few hours, I bedded Winnie. We both fell asleep soon and easily, without any fuss, after an active day together, mainly walking and talking.

In the middle of the night, I noticed a strong smell, which woke me up. I had been warned by her Cazadero human companions that 12-week-old Winnie was not yet house-broken. What to do? I’ve become a Mr. Fix-It. We manage, with the good counsel of other dog-lovers....
    Last edited by Barry; 02-18-2013 at 12:42 PM.

3. TopTop #3
    Shepherd, this is a brave and honest telling of your new experiences in learning how to mesh your world and Winnie's. I have been training dogs for over 17 years. The one thing I know above all else is that "Your dog wants to be good." Dogs are truly motivated by whatever the most rewarding outcome will be. Reward based training and consistency are key to long term success. I would be glad to share the "tricks of the trade" with you for housebreaking and encouraging Winnie towards better pursuits than chewing items in your home, if you feel that I might be of any assistance. They are fairly straightforward and highly successful. I am glad you have community who are welcoming your new family member into their hearts. You sound like a loving dog parent and I wish you and Winnie the best.