Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1

Mayor loses backbone...

Last night I witnessed mayor Guy Wilson backpedal and cave-in to one concession after another at the request of Armstrong Development that revealed his true allegience to corporate America instead of the town he is suppose to serve.

From the very start of this project, the planning commision said NO. The Design Review Board said NO. And the community, by a conservative margin of 3-1, said NO*.

And with his vote to uphold the appeal by Armstrong Development to overturn the decision by the DRB, Guy Wilson has basically said, none of that matters: the Planning Commission doesn't matter, the DRB doesn't matter and the community doesn't matter.

While Armstrong back-pocket residents, Kathleen Shaffer and Patrick Slayter were obvious corporate allies throughout this process, I thought Guy Wilson would have the decency and the backbone to put the community first and follow guidelines set forth in the General Plan. Community didn't matter when he voted to uphold the appeal by Armstrong Development and it didn't matter last night as he made every concession that rendered conditions more developer-friendly. One of those conditions would allow the developers to come back after 90 days and request that any conditions that don't suit them be removed**.

But, mayor Wilson has somehow misplaced his spine.

So, good riddence Mr. Wilson. You leave in your wake the damage that has occured in almost every small community across this country that has had big box stores inflicted upon them. I heard you mention "fairness" many times in your reasoning last night. At least you have a sense of humor.

And don't forget, folks, if we would like Sebastopol to be further subjected to the backroom politics that has opened the door to corporate America muscling their way into our downtown, then a vote for Ms. Shaffer (and Ms. Austin) will ensure that.

Gee. I wonder if Armstrong Developers contribute to political campaigns.

*Except for the meeting that saw the two rotary clubs in Sebastopol show up en masse after Kathleen Shaffer went "under the radar" to politicized those two stellar organizations, meetings were constantly attended by a majority of opponents to the project. The last meeting I attended saw 46 against and 17 for.

**If Shaffer and Austin are elected to the two vacant seats on the council, Armstrong Development will own Sebastopol.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

3. TopTop #2
    Sebtown1968

Re: Mayor loses backbone...

The community is not saying NO by a margin close to 3-1..It is split with the majority shifting each week. While I am no fan of this project, I do think it is important to keep in mind that there are many in this community that are either indifferent to this project or in favor of it.

What I am getting weary of hearing from the "Anti-Chase/CVS" side is, "The Pellini Building should be/could be.." The property could be a lot of things..Unless you have money and a plan, it doesnt really matter what your idea is..That excercise goes on ad nauseum here and will get us nowhere.

We, who are against this project should fight as hard as we can to oppose it while making a real effort to bring another player to the table. This property will not stay empty...get over that fantasy. It won't be a park or a community garden unless someone is going to step up and do it. In the end, if the project is getting the green light, we should respect the other side (who do support this) for coming out on top..not sit and stomp our feet, cry foul and assume a conspiracy..We wouldln't want our kids acting like this if they lost something, so why do we think it is ok to do so?

4. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

5. TopTop #3
    La.Sereniti

In the face of a MAJOR recession, I don't think anyone can justify giving up jobs to a MEGA-CORPORATION.

CVS and CHASE hit the most profitable sectors (Banking and Drugs) then start siphoning off other opportunities since they CONTROL THE CONSUMER RELATIONSHIP. (ie computer repair, copy services, groceries.. Whatever they want to do without limitations or approval by anyone)

Think about it... They lock in people on loans or buy the loans from another originator and they also create EXCLUSIVE group buying agreements for drugs people need on a routine basis. Once the relationship is captured and we are already there, they hijack that relationship for other buying opportunties.

It is short sighted for anyone to approve this development. If you really want to see development that is more suitable to the community, give full disclosure (no backroom deals and lies that benefit a few).

I DARE YOU PELLINI... Give this town 6 months to come up with a solution. MAKE IT HIGHLY PUBLIC. There a some very, very smart and resourceful people in this town. Give them a REAL chance to create a legacy you can be proud of. You might not get $20 million, but you can get something that your grandchildren will not be ashamed of. Give them real values (financial and intellectual) for our world rather than buying it for them.

You would hear from more from people about how they felt if:
    a) they thought their voice actually mattered in changing things
    b) if they had time outside their daily lives to act in public service and offer their voice
    c) you actually showed that you were listening and not cramming this down our throat.

THE PELLINI'S COULD HAVE BEEN MORE PUBLIC IN SOLICITING REAL SOLUTIONS. SHOW US THAT WAS TRULY WORKED OUT IN GOOD FAITH WITH LOCAL BUSINESSES.

DON'T PARADE ROTARIANS AT MEETINGS. THAT IS JUST LAME ON SO MANY LEVELS. THE PRIMARY REASON BEING THAT IS AN ABUSE OF THE PRINCIPLES FOR WHICH ROTARY STANDS.

This objective is set against the "Rotary 4-way Test", used to see if a planned action is compatible with the Rotarian spirit. The test was developed by Rotarian and entrepreneur Herbert J. Taylor during the Great Depression as a set of guidelines for restoring faltering businesses and was adopted as the standard of ethics by Rotary in 1942. It is still seen as a standard for ethics in business management:

The 4-Way Test considers the following questions in respect to thinking, saying or doing:

* Is it the truth?
    * Is it fair to all concerned?
    * Will it build goodwill and better friendships?
    * Will it be beneficial to all concerned?

If this development is realized, then I personally (and MANY others) will have lost all hope that individual members of a community ever have a chance of
    a) keeping a healthy economic base in local towns
    b) having a voice in politics that make a difference

By approving a MEGA-CORPORATION development in the heart of our town, you sell out our future for us to become slaves to a system we did not chose or allow to become involved in alternative choices..... for the benefit of a few while we slave away in minimum wage jobs for those few that controlled the system.

THIS IS FAR FROM OVER!

6. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

7. TopTop #4
    La.Sereniti

PS For the benefit of those who don't know: Pellini is a long standing member of Rotary.

And he did do some nice things for people.

However, this development eclipses anything else he has done in his entire life.

8. TopTop #5
    twodogs

Re: Sebtown--Finally, a grown-up response!
    Quote Posted in reply to the post by Sebtown1968: View Post
    The community is not saying NO by a margin close to 3-1..It is split with the majority shifting each week. While I am no fan of this project, I do think it is important to keep in mind that there are many in this community that are either indifferent to this project or in favor of it.

What I am getting weary of hearing from the "Anti-Chase/CVS" side is, "The Pellini Building should be/could be.." The property could be a lot of things..Unless you have money and a plan, it doesnt really matter what your idea is..That excercise goes on ad nauseum here and will get us nowhere.

We, who are against this project should fight as hard as we can to oppose it while making a real effort to bring another player to the table. This property will not stay empty...get over that fantasy. It won't be a park or a community garden unless someone is going to step up and do it. In the end, if the project is getting the green light, we should respect the other side (who do support this) for coming out on top..not sit and stomp our feet, cry foul and assume a conspiracy..We wouldln't want our kids acting like this if they lost something, so why do we think it is ok to do so?
    Last edited by Barry; 08-23-2012 at 07:14 PM.

9. Gratitude expressed by:

10. TopTop #6
    Geni Houston

Three points from the peanut gallery:

1. I think it is an assumption to say the community was 3-1 against. Personally, I wish we could have had a count to know the truth. I think many would be suprised.

2. It is amazing those that jump on the "anti-corporate" bandwagon and yet support one of the biggest corporate raiders in town (and no, I am not going to start down that road)

3. Pete and Pauline Pellini have done as much or more for this community over the years than almost anyone I know. And yes, they may be Rotary members - an organization that DOES a lot of good - what's your point there? The other people I could name here in being contributors to the community are all Rotary and or Chamber members.

11. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

12. TopTop #7

My position on this issue has been firm from the beginning. I have also put some effort into supporting other options which could be a legacy landmark for the owners; instead of only being against the current project.

You can vote for those you like, or think are "viable"; or you can vote for, and work to elect someone who's taken an unwavering stand, for the last 10 years, on all of Sebastopol's core values reflecting: social, environmental, and constitutional justice.

You can trust I will consistently vote to protect these vital issues, and respect the wishes of our true majority, in balance with the responsibilities and budget of the City.

Please send me your key issues as I update the poll on my website. Such as: alternatives for CVS/Chase, with funding ideas. How about citizens' review boards for our cities and county budgets and law enforcement? What imporvements to the general plan; like a ban of future drive-throughs, and restrictions for chain stores modeled on the ones for the Plaza in Sonoma?

What do you see as GOOD for Sebastopol, which may raise the bar for all candidates to find solutions for?

Thank you,

Colleen Fernald

Sebastopol's Constitutional
    Candidate for PEACE!
    City Council 2012
    www.campaignforpeace.org
    Last edited by Peace Voyager; 08-23-2012 at 10:02 PM.

13. TopTop #8
    theindependenteye

>>>Last night I witnessed mayor Guy Wilson backpedal and cave-in to one concession after another at the request of Armstrong Development that revealed his true allegience to corporate America instead of the town he is suppose to serve.

For the record, I don't support the development project and I don't know Guy Wilson personally. But I think it ill-serves progressives to assume that anyone they feel is on the wrong side of a particular issue, or who changes positions on an issue, is doing it solely because he/she has been bought & paid for, is spineless, is a vile hypocrite or corporate stooge, etc. etc.

Is it remotely possible that he voted that way because he actually believes he's doing the right thing?

Irrational ad hominem attacks bother me more coming from people whose politics I agree with than from the other folks, and in a small town I think they're tremendously damaging. I've spent 40 years in theatre and gotten used to the occasional stupid or savage review, but never would I subject myself to the kind of shit I've seen hurled at local representatives. Shades of St. Stephen.

Cheers—
    Conrad

14. TopTop #9
    La.Sereniti

I am seeking substantial reasons (other than maximizing profit on the sale of land).

No-one here is "anti-corporate". That is an in-accurate generalization. We love O'Reilly and Traditional Medicinals among other examples of stellar local businesses.

Chase and CVS are MEGA-CORPORATIONS. They aren't locals and they aren't keeping profit here. I will repeat what I said yesterday for clarity:

***********************************************************************************************

CVS and CHASE hit the most profitable sectors (Banking and Drugs) then start siphoning off other opportunities since they CONTROL THE CONSUMER RELATIONSHIP. (ie computer repair, copy services, groceries.. Whatever they want to do without limitations or approval by anyone)

Think about it... They lock in people on loans or buy the loans from another originator and they also create EXCLUSIVE group buying agreements for drugs people need on a routine basis. Once the relationship is captured and we are already there, they hijack that relationship for other buying opportunties.

It is short sighted for anyone to approve this development. If you really want to see development that is more suitable to the community, give full disclosure (no backroom deals and lies that benefit a few).

I DARE YOU PELLINI... Give this town 6 months to come up with a solution. MAKE IT HIGHLY PUBLIC. There a some very, very smart and resourceful people in this town. Give them a REAL chance to create a legacy you can be proud of. You might not get $20 million, but you can get something that your grandchildren will not be ashamed of. Give them real values (financial and intellectual) for our world rather than buying it for them.

You would hear from more from people about how they felt if:
    a) they thought their voice actually mattered in changing things
    b) if they had time outside their daily lives to act in public service and offer their voice
    c) you actually showed that you were listening and not cramming this down our throat.

Show me someone who is objective on the matter and not influenced by who they might piss off by disagreeing with the Pellini's and their buddies. There is a trickle down effect that is creating unfair bias (of a small group of people) that is not reflective of anyone's opinion of a healthy, vibrant economy.

I am focused on the issue and I not the person. Tell me why this will benefit the town.

Don't tell me because no one else will buy it. That is B.S. You aren't offering anyone the chance for anything other than a deal to the highest bidder.

I never saw a for sale sign on the property, nor did I see a listing on the Internet. This was a backroom deal. Furthermore, instead of serving the community and having a little pride, you could have cleaned the windows and pulled the weeds. But making it an eyesore seemed to be important to you.

Offer the opportunity for a positive change that enhances the local community's economy and image. If they fail then I will be the first to welcome your developer pals.

....standard for ethics in business management:

The 4-Way Test considers the following questions in respect to thinking, saying or doing:

* Is it the truth?
    * Is it fair to all concerned?
    * Will it build goodwill and better friendships?
    * Will it be beneficial to all concerned?

[QUOTE=Geni Houston;156307]Three points from the peanut gallery:

15. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

16. TopTop #10
    La.Sereniti

Colleen

You certainly have made an effort to be involved in this project.

We definitely need to put some effort into more viable options that can be acceptable for all involved.

I have not heard of any such effort to date.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Peace Voyager: View Post
    My stance on this issue has been firm from the beginning...

Unlike some, I have also put some effort into supporting other options which could be a legacy landmark for the owners; instead of only being against the current project.

17. TopTop #11

Thanks for chiming in Sereniti.

Hope you're finding a fit for your home.

It's going to take a lot more than just me to craft a better viable option for the Pellini's property. I do hope everyone who wants uncongested traffic chooses to put energy into finding and funding alternatives.

This is one reason I suggested to the City they look at the idea of swapping property with the Pellini's. That would open up so many possibilities.

BTW I know there are mindful corporations; we need to be the place that makes a directory of them, after co-creating the criteria. Sounds like a job this full community could help Occupy with. Along with making the tent beautiful, so no one will want to graffiti it.

I'd like to see the City & Center for the Arts replace the tent during the Sculpture Jam with something lovely, which still serves the same free speech & peaceful assembly purpose; in honor of the effort our country is attempting to fix itself with.

Too bad our State and federal funds are so badly managed that our cities are so far behind on just basic services; so we are short changed for these added improvements, as well as, for our parks, etc.

I'm sorry that some folks think Occupy Sebastopol is somehow against the City of Sebastopol. It may be that we're the only city in the country to have a physical Occupy space with the City's cooperation for this long.

We currently have an underutilized, potentially and occasionally beautiful thing @ Occupy Seb. How can we propel that into something a greater majority cherishes? We've seen Occupys not work in many ways. How can we invite people to bring their best to it for the optimal results?

I really want it to be known; I am not anti-development. Green design is in my genes. On the O'Connor side, my Uncle Allan is an Architect who was designing passive solar homes, and businesses in Bishop, & Mammoth back in the 60's; and Richard was designing electric cars during the gas crisis of the 70's.

Got my Green Building Certification from NARI, the re-modeler's association in 2004. LEEDS standards have a long way to go on indoor air quality and sourcing local, renewable resources.

Sebastopol & the West County can lead the way. Could this also be the spot to showcase a counter measure to the Bohemian Grove? A Sustainable 99% hybrid of left + middle + right. Where's all the non-violent communication folks to help us gel? There is strength in numbers; we don't have to be slaves to broken, unsafe & unhealthy systems.

I've often conveyed optimal connections of solutions for our challenges; based on utilizing our amazing network of ideas, people, and resources. Let's set down the prejudices and, weave something ideal.

What's important is finding the right fit. We've spent too many hours trying to define what does, and doesn't work here, to be stuck so long on trying to force something out of sync with Sebastopol's style, and traffic congestion.

Defining what is "Sustainable Sebastopol" clearly has a way to go.

There's a new .org; 1 long lived yahoogroup, another sort of long lived one; the City's incorporation of it; and a former, though possibly future, salon which the whole community is invited to, in small weekly or monthly groups, and big annual ones.

This sounds like a job for: The Core Project + Occupy + Transition + Rotary + Analy, + Citta Slow + The Green Garage + etc.+ etc.+++

With this kind of thinking, we can leap forward, and even profit with Solar Sebastopol; if we assist with the regional plan for local power.

Aren't we smart enough yet, to weave our existing networks to serve for solutions for our balanced best interests being more easily negotiated? It may not always be pretty; but it's possible.

We did our best to get all sides working together for the North East plan, on the City's dime. Perhaps we can find more affordable ways to keep it going.

I want to see how many ways the City of Sebastopol, its residents and businesses; can enable our best definition of an amazing, attractive, safe, prepared, and kind small town to shine.

Wacco is, & can be our springboard for visioning this thing.

Sure need help to get it to fly.

Who's
    in?

Quote Posted in reply to the post by La.Sereniti: View Post
    Colleen

You certainly have made an effort to be involved in this project.

We definitely need to put some effort into more viable options that can be acceptable for all involved.

I have not heard of any such effort to date.
    Last edited by Barry; 08-24-2012 at 04:13 PM.

18. Gratitude expressed by:

19. TopTop #12
    Bird Watcher

Thank you, Conrad, for articulating the main thing I don't miss about moving away from Sebastopol. While I now live in Georgia, it's near a university and also attracts retired folks from New York and other "blue" regions. Consequently the political diversity in our area is greater than one might usually associate with this Southern state. So while there can be heated debate, what I appreciate is that it never gets vicious.

Pam

Quote Posted in reply to the post by theindependenteye: View Post
    >>>Last night I witnessed mayor Guy Wilson backpedal and cave-in to one concession after another at the request of Armstrong Development that revealed his true allegience to corporate America instead of the town he is suppose to serve.

For the record, I don't support the development project and I don't know Guy Wilson personally. But I think it ill-serves progressives to assume that anyone they feel is on the wrong side of a particular issue, or who changes positions on an issue, is doing it solely because he/she has been bought & paid for, is spineless, is a vile hypocrite or corporate stooge, etc. etc.

Is it remotely possible that he voted that way because he actually believes he's doing the right thing?

Irrational ad hominem attacks bother me more coming from people whose politics I agree with than from the other folks, and in a small town I think they're tremendously damaging. I've spent 40 years in theatre and gotten used to the occasional stupid or savage review, but never would I subject myself to the kind of shit I've seen hurled at local representatives. Shades of St. Stephen.

Cheers—
    Conrad

20. Gratitude expressed by:

21. TopTop #13
    dzerach

Quote Posted in reply to the post by twodogs: View Post
    Re: Sebtown--Finally, a grown-up response!

The property could be a lot of things..Unless you have money and a plan, it doesnt really matter what your idea is.

Yes, and it's always easy to slip down the edge, even of something as genuinely cool as Pragmatism?? Yes to money and a plan! So, YES, I think it DOES MATTER what the IDEAS are -- whether that same person can finance that idea or not. I think it matters tremendously. It has throughout history. Let's not forget WHY IDEAS are indeed more powerful than MONEY. I mean really, what is the real fuel supporting/creating everything we see in our world? Concepts and feelings. Investors invest in something big only because they are inspired by an idea --essentially, by their own feelings/perceptions -- however lowbrow that idea might be. Money continues to FLOW based on fulfilling expressed needs and perceived wants. The V-word: I guess people can't value something like livability if they don't consciously understand all of the bits and pieces that compose it. And what a town LOOKS LIKE is just BASIC to livability.

22. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

23. TopTop #14
    Sebtown1968

You know what they say about opinions....

The fact is the Pellini family is sitting on private property- not public. This means, they have the right to sell to whoever they like without having to gain anyones approval or with having to be publicly disparaged (which has happened). Could you imagine if this same treatment was applied to anyone selling their private residence?

Anyone who would be purchasing this property (which is one of the most important pieces of commercial property in this town) would need a significant amount of capital and would (naturally) want a reasonable return on his/her investment. Knowing what a town is lacking/ what need would/could generate a profit worthy of an investment would be done in the form of a feesibility study or any type of proper research, not seeking the unsolicited opinions of a bunch of people on a bulletin board.

Most of the ideas thrown around on here are of non-commercial nature (community garden, park, art space, etc.). Nobody, outside of a philanthropist or a non-profit with significant funding would have an interest in doing so. Sebastopol desperately needs to generate tax income, so there is little to no incentive for the City Council to want anything like that developed on that property. Land-swapping with the city is equally as strange as there does not currently exist a property in this town that would have equal value to allow for a fair trade.

The point of my previous post is: It's quite simple to throw out ideas and tell others what they should be doing when you have no intention of investing or no real skin in the game. You have no idea- A) What the cost of the property is. B) What it would take to repay the investment of purchasing and jumping through all the hurdles to get something developed there. You are simply ill informed and in no position to offer an opinion that would hold much water.

We would have had a much better chance of success if we were (with the help of the Chamber or Sonoma County EDB) to court businesses that would have been a better fit. Nobody did that work. Nobody brought anyone else viable to the table. Why? Because for some silly reason, many believed that they could successfully block anyone from developing there and keep the property vacant ad infinitum. Similar to the strategy of continually shooting down anything and everything proposed for the NE (Barlow) property. Spinning lies of four story buildings/looming structures only backfired because those lies robbed the people against development of any credibility.

And when we don't agree with who is taking the space or developing the land, we are so quick to villify. I saw the same treatment applied to O'Reilly and Associates when they attempted to build their project on 116 (right near my home). They tried everything to show that they were serious about working with the community and they were villified in a similar manner. Why? Because someone who has no idea how agriculture works believed that this could remain an apple orchard- even though apples/apple processing stopped being a viable industry for this town over 20 years ago. This is a company that is a wonderful addition to this town and they were treated horribly. Are these the "Progressive" values we want to teach our children? Win at all costs, even if the tactic is a lie? Constant accusations of paid off city officials. Supposed backroom deals... all this B.S. as long as we win the war? Are we proud of this brand of politic?

24. Gratitude expressed by 9 members:

25. TopTop #15
    Geni Houston

Mark (Sebtown 1968) - can I give you multiple gratitudes?

26. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

27. TopTop #16
    Sebtown1968

Yes you can! Thank you.

Mark Inman

28. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

29. TopTop #17
    La.Sereniti

Earn business thru good will...... not coercion

Money ALSO flows by coercion and exclusive agreements that participants didn't get a say in choosing.

You asked the question, what is fueling what we see in our world, but omitted that very IMPORTANT AND SALIENT POINT. CVS and Chase do business by coercion.

I appreciate your assertion that solutions need to be provided and I agree. Yet no one asked the question.

There are participants with lots of skin in the game (time and money) just for the sake of doing what they feel is right and best for the future of their community..... WITHOUT REMUNERATION EVER!

Take that to your bank and you'll find you can't buy that kind of genuine devotion.....

...Those that do get bought off to work with MEGA-CORPORATIONS know in their heart that it isn't right, but they have a kid's college fund to pay or whatever. I understand those needs.... but do you want your kid to live in a world that does business that way?

I mean really... =)

(Sorry for multiple posts... Darned Typos. Need a break... Been working on this for the past 7 hours and until 1am last night.

Barry, can we please start a thread starting with this post about earning business thru GOODWILL, not coercion. I'd like people to talk about what earning GOODWILL looks like.... A POSITIVE CONTRIBUTION.)

Quote Posted in reply to the post by dzerach: View Post
    .... I mean really, what is the real fuel supporting/creating everything we see in our world? Concepts and feelings. Investors invest in something big only because they are inspired by an idea --essentially, by their own feelings/perceptions -- however lowbrow that idea might be. Money continues to FLOW based on fulfilling expressed needs and perceived wants....

30. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

31. TopTop #18
    dzerach

You make some very good points. I value both your committment to being sensible, the frustration of what is going on, and your passion.

What you haven't understood is that I'm speaking generally. But only in response to you trashing the ultimate power of "currently unfunded / unworkable" ideas. Perhaps, then, that other V-word better applies? Vision? And the need for its accompanying nitty-gritties. It's already been discussed.

The generalized, long-term point I tried to make -- that seems unrecognized by you -- is that Investment and Vision can indeed and have worked side by side. Are you rejecting this assertion?

Secondly, private property rights do not trump all other considerations in all situations. That's not an opinon but an unfortunate, proven fact.

The degree of impact of a private residence isn't even comparable to the downtown property.

Sorry to say, not all of us are motivated by money, yet somehow manage to make a living within the law. Believe it or not, in life, in general, there are also people with access to wealth who aren't necessarily motivated by money and don't grovel at the bottom line. And you never know who they are either!

Nobody, outside of a philanthropist or a non-profit with significant funding would have an interest in doing so.

As a general fact, that's just not accurate. Life isn't that tidy.

The fact is the Pellini family is sitting on private property- not public. This means, they have the right to sell to whoever they like without having to gain anyones approval or with having to be publicly disparaged (which has happened). Could you imagine if this same treatment was applied to anyone selling their private residence?

Anyone who would be purchasing this property (which is one of the most important pieces of commercial property in this town) would need a significant amount of capital and would (naturally) want a reasonable return on his/her investment. Knowing what a town is lacking/ what need would/could generate a profit worthy of an investment would be done in the form of a feesibility study or any type of proper research, not seeking the unsolicited opinions of a bunch of people on a bulletin board.

Most of the ideas thrown around on here are of non-commercial nature (community garden, park, art space, etc.). Nobody, outside of a philanthropist or a non-profit with significant funding would have an interest in doing so. Sebastopol desperately needs to generate tax income, so there is little to no incentive for the City Council to want anything like that developed on that property. Land-swapping with the city is equally as strange as there does not currently exist a property in this town that would have equal value to allow for a fair trade.

The point of my previous post is: It's quite simple to throw out ideas and tell others what they should be doing when you have no intention of investing or no real skin in the game. You have no idea- A) What the cost of the property is. B) What it would take to repay the investment of purchasing and jumping through all the hurdles to get something developed there. You are simply ill informed and in no position to offer an opinion that would hold much water.

We would have had a much better chance of success if we were (with the help of the Chamber or Sonoma County EDB) to court businesses that would have been a better fit. Nobody did that work. Nobody brought anyone else viable to the table. Why? Because for some silly reason, many believed that they could successfully block anyone from developing there and keep the property vacant ad infinitum. Similar to the strategy of continually shooting down anything and everything proposed for the NE (Barlow) property. Spinning lies of four story buildings/looming structures only backfired because those lies robbed the people against development of any credibility.

And when we don't agree with who is taking the space or developing the land, we are so quick to villify. I saw the same treatment applied to O'Reilly and Associates when they attempted to build their project on 116 (right near my home). They tried everything to show that they were serious about working with the community and they were villified in a similar manner. Why? Because someone who has no idea how agriculture works believed that this could remain an apple orchard- even though apples/apple processing stopped being a viable industry for this town over 20 years ago. This is a company that is a wonderful addition to this town and they were treated horribly. Are these the "Progressive" values we want to teach our children? Win at all costs, even if the tactic is a lie? Constant accusations of paid off city officials. Supposed backroom deals... all this B.S. as long as we win the war? Are we proud of this brand of politic?

32. Gratitude expressed by:

33. TopTop #19
    La.Sereniti

So tired of the backbone comment... Mayor probably saw city debt mounting fighting this

You said alot.... I can't digest it all, but you have some very useful and pertinent knowledge to this situation.

The one thing that is going to give this traction is to identify specific problems at it's most basic level, state a goal and break up into small task groups that want to work on that SPECIFIC OBJECTIVE AND DEADLINE.

We have tons of people volunteering in city functions for decades now... I have no trouble imagining someone joining a group with a specific objective for the town, as a volunteer.

But to be part of a larger group for which a specific purpose has yet to be defined is not attractive to a highly experienced, educated person that has other things to do.

Occupy is a perfectly good concept.... just needs structure, that's all.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Peace Voyager: View Post
    ....How can we propel that into something a greater majority cherishes? We've seen Occupys not work in many ways. How can we invite people to bring their best to it for the optimal results?

....I want to see how many ways the City of Sebastopol, its residents and businesses; can enable our best definition of an amazing, attractive, safe, prepared, and kind small town to shine.

Wacco is, & can be our springboard for visioning this thing.

Sure need help to get it to fly.

Who's
    in?

34. Gratitude expressed by:

35. TopTop #20

I have a lot to respond to about this post; though prior commitments keep me from doing that fully now.

BTW My "skin in the game" is my time and ideas; both of which have more value than money.

For 10 years, I've been at the core of helping to define sustainably for Sebastopol with the 3 priorities of supporting our local: economic, ecological, and social values.

You know this because you helped sponsor the 1st Sebastopol Sustainability Conference and Festival which I produced. It was a rough start, but it did help pave the way towards mainstreaming the then new concepts of being Green, importance of living wage, fair trade, etc. Things you helped promote in your family's coffee business, and that industry.

I'm concerned about how you measure sustainability now; and how the dark side of the wine grape industry may have diluted those values I thought we shared.

Putting "my skin in the game" and willingness to stand for the truth; even when most others on all sides prefer to keep it covered, has cost me more than you will ever know.

You also don't know the pivotal beneficial changes which have resulted from the fearless risks I've taken. In due time these facts will be revealed.

I remain undaunted; and look forward to providing even better results with my investments, and inviting opportunities for better ones from you.

Colleen Fernald

Sebastopol's Constitutional
    Candidate for PEACE!
    City Council 2012

www.campaignforpeace.org

36. Gratitude expressed by:

37. TopTop #21

Re: So tired of the backbone comment... Mayor probably saw city debt mounting fighting thi

This is exactly why, for several years, I have tried to compel the City of Sebastopol, and the folks with Sustainable Sebastopol Salon, and all related groups, such as Transistion, etc. to consolidate and meet face to face, in addition to the online groups and City Council meetings.

There is no end to the ways we can fight about our differences; there is vast power in focusing on what unites us.

You said alot.... I can't digest it all, but you have some very useful and pertinent knowledge to this situation.

The one thing that is going to give this traction is to identify specific problems at it's most basic level, state a goal and break up into small task groups that want to work on that SPECIFIC OBJECTIVE AND DEADLINE.

We have tons of people volunteering in city functions for decades now... I have no trouble imagining someone joining a group with a specific objective for the town, as a volunteer.

But to be part of a larger group for which a specific purpose has yet to be defined is not attractive to a highly experienced, educated person that has other things to do.

Occupy is a perfectly good concept.... just needs structure, that's all.

38. TopTop #22
    Sebtown1968

I did not have a family coffee business. Taylor Maid Farms was started by Chris Martin and his family. I was a brought in as a partner in 1993. I sold my interest back to the family in 2011.

I don't know what you mean by the dark side of the wine grape industry if this comment is directed at me. I am currently a coffee trader and importer and aside from enjoying a glass of wine from time to time, I have no involvement- nor has my family ever had involvement in the wine grape industry.

Mark "Grapeless in Sebastopol" Inman

39. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

40. TopTop #23

Then I stand corrected. Foregive me for that incorrect conclusion.

I thought, perhaps based on some comments related to the Jenekel/Hobbs property, that your family had moved into wine grapes: www.inmanfamilywines.com

So you're not related?

I did not have a family coffee business. Taylor Maid Farms was started by Chris Martin and his family. I was a brought in as a partner in 1993. I sold my interest back to the family in 2011.

I don't know what you mean by the dark side of the wine grape industry if this comment is directed at me. I am currently a coffee trader and importer and aside from enjoying a glass of wine from time to time, I have no involvement- nor has my family ever had involvement in the wine grape industry.

Mark "Grapeless in Sebastopol" Inman

41. Gratitude expressed by:

42. TopTop #24
    Sebtown1968

Nope, no relation

43. Gratitude expressed by:

44. TopTop #25
    La.Sereniti

Re: Mayor loses backbone... (Mayor is probably tired of this taking his resources)

Mr. Pellini,

If for some reason you don't have the resources or energy to clean up your property, may we do it for you?

There are lots of people in this town who care about it's social fabric and would be happy to volunteer their time. Many hands make small work and it could probably be done in a day.

I hope you will consider this offer. I'm simply looking out for the best interests of this unique community as a whole. I have nothing to gain, but friendship for doing so.

Best wishes to you in navigating this difficult situation.
    ~ Sereniti ~

.....Furthermore, instead of serving the community and having a little pride, you could have cleaned the windows and pulled the weeds. ....
    Last edited by Barry; 08-25-2012 at 06:22 PM.

45. Gratitude expressed by 3 members: