Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Investigative Reporter

Why the CVS Deal Could Be Catastrophic for Sebastopol business and tax revenue

In the wake of the PFD editorial supporting this project for the money it offers our city, I wrote this and sent it to our Council a few minutes ago... By the way, is any Wacco readers can explain where the PD got the $100,000 additional property tax calculation from, please reply and share--thanks!

Dear Members of the Sebastopol City Council,

I have heard the argument that we need the tax revenue from the CVS deal, and I would like to express my concern that the CVS deal could aversely impact businesses and tax revenue in Sebastopol.
    While a $99,000 increase in property tax is, if a true figure, attractive, the impact on our tiny downtown could be catastrophically transformative in the long term. Beyond being a billboard for two megacorproations greeting anyone entering our "Go "local" green community (our "brand"), I am concerned about the environmental impact to our family from the air pollution from idling cars likely to back up past the library. This could make shopping downtown less healthy and pleasant, in terms of air quality,
    More importantly, from an economic perspective, I have a major concern about the increased traffic and how this will aversely impact thousands of Sebastopolians once the project is finished. This ibcreased traffic could create a tipping point, in which drivers from the Bay area en route to Guernville or Occidental or west county beaches will BYPASS downtown Sebastopol because of an additional ten or 15 minute log jam at what is already the biggest traffic choke point in West County. This, in my view (as someone with decades of experience as an investigative financial journalist and analyst), could cause diminished revenues at all our downtown businesses, which could result in more vacancies, and lower commercial property values and lower tax receipts. In the long run, this deal could be bad for business in Sebastopol, not good. In addition, it could hurt the therapists and yoga schools and the many, many people who work from studios or homes, because clients from Santa Rosa and other destinations will not have 20-30 minutes to add to their round trip visits, and hence avoid coming into Sebastopol.

I ask that you weight these long term implications in your important vote this evening, and oppose this development.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by 2 members: