Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Larysa

Food Stamps Denied: A Human Rights Issue

Greetings Community!

I am writing this not only for me, but for anyone else denied access to county benefits for which they are qualified.

Due to great financial hardship, in late December 2011 I finally decided to apply for Food Stamps in Sonoma County. This was not an easy decision as I kept hoping my relentless efforts to find employment would soon prove fruitful. However, we are in an economic depression and many former professional people are becoming destitute.

In mid-January 2012 I had a phone interview with Ms. Tracy Perry - Worker Number EC47. Afterwards she mailed me a stack of paperwork to complete and return promptly. To verify county residence I submitted a copy of my rental agreement as I had been instructed to do. Toward the end of the month, I received my Food Stamp card and other documentation.

Today – January 31st, 2012 – I received a notice from the county stating:
    “Effective 01/31/12, your Food Stamp benefits have been stopped. You must get your Food Stamp benefits from the County you live in. You no longer live in SONOMA County. If you want Food Stamps, you may apply in the County or State where you now live.
    “QR 377.4 Disc. (01/04) FS Notice of Termination for Quarterly and Change Reporting Households.”

I am a U.S. citizen, Sonoma County resident, a former California Community College adjunct mathematics instructor, someone with numerous employable skills and a strong work ethic. I have been unable to find full time employment, exhausted my savings and unemployment benefits and now have been denied Food Stamps and most likely deleted from the County Medical Services Program for which I had also been approved.

I am tired and hungry, but I refuse to be silent. America is becoming more and more like the old Soviet Union at an alarming rate. It is imperative for each of us to take a stand when confronted with governmental or corporate injustice, communicate clearly and not back down.

The County of Sonoma ‘Notice of Action’ informs me that I can ask for a State hearing. I do not understand what more I need to do to prove county residency nor why. Applying for a hearing is a lot of work and I already am doing a lot of work looking for work using a ten year laptop that is nearly kaput. I am hungry and soon to be homeless. I need to find employment and not waste time reapplying for county benefits for which I have already been approved. I am hungry in a wealthy county in a wealthy country. I am hungry in Sonoma County because of Sonoma County.

If anyone has any input, please let me know.

Most Sincerely,
    Larysa
    Last edited by Alex; 02-01-2012 at 04:58 PM.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

3. TopTop #2
    CSummer

Re: Food Stamps Denied: A Human Rights Issue

There's something disgustingly familiar about the county social services agency making false allegations as a
    pretext for denying benefits to someone. And, yes, it is an issue of human rights - or at least human decency.
    In a country where food is abundantly available, no one should be lacking what they need.

If it would be of any help, I'm available to support you as an advocate in dealing with the county. Maybe 50 others
    could join us and we'll all make appointments to see Ms Perry!

At some point, though, we need to stop turning to government for aid and start turning to each other.
    Hmm, maybe such a mutual support community could start right here on Wacco!

CSummer

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Larysa: View Post
    Greetings Community!
    I am writing this not only for me, but for anyone else denied access to county benefits for which they are qualified......
    Last edited by Alex; 02-01-2012 at 04:59 PM.

4. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

5. TopTop #3

Hi Larysa,

I work at a local organic farm, and I'd be happy to get you some free vegetables if that would help you out. Just send me a private message. If any other local farmers might be reading this thread, perhaps you have some eggs or milk or meat that you could donate, I would encourage you to do that! I wish I could but I do not have access to those items.

Take care.

6. Gratitude expressed by 6 members:

7. TopTop #4
    authenticeye

Hi Larysa,

I feel there is probably a misunderstanding in your case. Have you persued speaking with a manager?

When I first landed in the county in '07 I sought out food stamps as well - not wanting to and yet accepting that those services were there for support.

I vaguely remember some odd glitch where it seemed my benefits were stopped only to restart again. I strongly suggest contacting the human resources office and request to speak with a manager to the worker on your case.

Going deeper with your post I want to point out how often when we experience some kind of hardship we automatically retreat into a "I'm not supported" cave of thought - I know cause I did it - and the beauty of your sharing of the experience is demonstrating that we can be supported in ways we hadn't even imagined.

Kudos to the farmers offering goods to Larysa. Do our network of community farmers have a means for making excess available to those with great need?

I also want to point out despite the "corrupt systems" in our world, our county resources team has proven to continually provide new programs to support people's health, i.e. - food stamps being accepted at the various farmers markets - hurrah for that ~

In closing it seems you were accepted into the program Larysa and a "hiccup" happened - trust that they will be fixing the error and commend yourself for asking for assistance -

Trust yourself in moving through this hard time and may you receive all that you need

InJoy,
    Rei

Greetings Community!
    I am writing this not only for me, but for anyone else denied access to county benefits for which they are qualified......
    Last edited by Alex; 02-01-2012 at 05:00 PM.

8. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

9. TopTop #5
    "Mad" Miles

The job of functionaries in social service bureaucracies is to not only administer programs, but to find reasons to deny aid. It's how they justify their fiscal responsibility and keep their stats up.

I experienced this when receiving CMSP in 1998. Every week or so I would get a menacing letter, boldly announcing, "You're getting cut off!!", and then I had to read a bunch of complex verbiage, to find what little hoop of compliance I had to jump through, to keep myself eligable.

That's when it dawned on me that more effort was put into cutting me off, than into helping me.

Since I'm pretty good at wading through complex and lengthy bureaucratese, it wasn't that bad, once I understood the game. I felt sorry for those who didn't have my reading skills, my tenacity and even in my difficult emotional state (I was being treated for Dysthymia) my patience and ability not to panic. Believe me, those letters were designed to instill panic and anger.

Appeal your cuttoff. Provide them with the documentation required to prove them "mistaken". Provide more documentation than they require. Stay calm in the hearing and simply state your case. Talk only when it is your turn and cut to the chase. (I know that's obvious, but many people blow it by getting angry and telling long convoluted stories. The Commissioner has a frustrating job, she or he knows what's up. If you personalize the matter and attack them, if you waste their time, you'll get short shrift.)

You will win.

It's just part of the rigamarole they force you to go through to justify their existence as a county or state bureaucracy. And the funtionaries have no choice in the matter. To keep their jobs it's what's required of them by the higher ups, particularly elected officials who need something to do to justify their positions, and to show that every measure is being taken to be conservative in the dispensing of taxpayers funds.

Even if it costs more than it would to just provide assistance to those who need it and qualify.

As a teacher in San Quentin, you would not believe the amount of crap paperwork I had to do, redundant and time consuming, that had nothing to do with helping my students, and everything to do with providing higher-ups a way to document that their jobs were somehow necessary. Even when most of what they did was to waste the time of teachers, time that could have been better spent teaching, rather than doing data-entry, printing lengthy reports and filling out forms.

Bravo to those, especially Handy, who have offered to help! I don't know much about the Food Banks, and I read that they're oversubscribed in the last two, three, years. Might that also be an option?

Be Cool, Stay Strong!

10. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

11. TopTop #6
    jesswolfe

I want to concur with Rei. When I was on food stamps there were a few times I "lost benefits" for things that were not issues or for misunderstandings. Just give them a call and tell them that they have made a mistake and work it out with them. They are doing their best and they do make mistakes on occasion. It will be worked out.

Jess

12. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

13. TopTop #7
    Glia

Did you contact the person who processed your application? Also, is it possible that there has been an identity theft and someone else posing as you has applied in another county?

Today – January 31st, 2012 – I received a notice from the county stating:
    “Effective 01/31/12, your Food Stamp benefits have been stopped. You must get your Food Stamp benefits from the County you live in. You no longer live in SONOMA County. If you want Food Stamps, you may apply in the County or State where you now live.
    “QR 377.4 Disc. (01/04) FS Notice of Termination for Quarterly and Change Reporting Households.”

14. TopTop #8
    Dixon

Larysa, I understand your frustration and the extreme emotional stress of your poverty. I'm going through a similar situation. But I saw nothing in your post that made me feel anyone was purposely screwing you over. I urge you to remember the general principle of giving people the benefit of the doubt, as all of us would like to be given. In this case, that means assuming that an honest mistake was made and approaching them respectfully about it, with a positive attitude. That will likely clear things up.

And if you do actually find yourself foodless one of these days, call me at 527-6163 and (if I have any food myself!) I'll feed you. Actually, you may want to call me anyway, as I have a lead on a way you can get an occasional free restaurant meal in exchange for helping with restaurant reviews.

15. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

16. TopTop #9
    Larysa

Life Purpose Denied: A Human Rights Issue

Dear Everyone!

Thank you very much for your gracious postings and emails!!! Yes, it got worked out today without a State hearing!!!
    First of all: I want to publically apologize regarding Ms. Perry, she had no idea about the notice I received and assured me my paperwork was complete. Computer generated notices apparently override human actions. Probably not a good thing for us.

In speaking w/ friends and reading the emails sent privately to me, there is a great need for many to secure meaningful work whether they are self-employed or work for someone else. Struggling to meet our basic needs of food and shelter has been ongoing for too many people too long, as well as not being able to share their skills, talents and gifts to benefit other sentient beings. Fulfilling our life purpose is our birth right and our birth rite bringing us great joy!

Enough is enough.

I lived in San Diego - a military town - for many years and am well aware of the enormous amounts of money spent on all things that go BOOM!!! It's a no brainer that WAR has trumped education, health, basic needs, etc. in this country and we cannot survive. I suggest meeting w/ our elected officials as a group and bringing our resumes to them so they really get the loss of human productivity to our county to our state and to our country. These resumes would form a mosaic of potentiality.

Our political leaders need to have the courage and chutzpah to be willing to put their jobs on the line for the rest of us: adults and children. They need to stand up and say "No more defense (offense) spending!" There's more military stuff and gadgets on earth and in outer space then we need to obliterate the entire solar system.

I am serious about meeting w/ our Senators and Representatives for starters. I'll even shave my legs and put on a business suit. If anyone is interested in being part of this professional delegation, please post your ideas here and we can organize a meeting. I think the pain many of us feel is: Life Purpose Denied. Time to reclaim and fulfill!

Thank you for reaching out to me. Looking forward to making a HUGE shift starting in Sonoma County!

Hugs & Blessings,

Larysa

17. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

18. TopTop #10
    Shandi

I tend to agree that there is a misunderstanding, and would encourage you to fax any additional documents that prove your residency, such as PGE, phone bills, bank statement, or anything that has your Sonoma County residence, although I don't understand why there's a question about the rental agreement. Something is amiss. People I know have applied, and had no problem getting Food Stamps, if you're qualified as a Sonoma County resident, which you should have no problem proving, aside from the rental agreement.

When I applied for Food Stamps a few years ago, I gave them my rental agreement and bank account statement, along with my car insurance card to verify my residence. They may have situations where friends falsify rental agreements to help non-residents get benefits.

I suggest that you put your energy into supplying the information that proves without a doubt that you're
    a qualified resident. You must have other documents that you can use. Don't waste time complaining; use it to prove your case.

Personally, I think that Sonoma County has more social service benefits that any other county I know of.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by authenticeye: View Post
    Hi Larysa,

I feel there is probably a misunderstanding in your case. Have you persued speaking with a manager?

When I first landed in the county in '07 I sought out food stamps as well - not wanting to and yet accepting that those services were there for support.

I vaguely remember some odd glitch where it seemed my benefits were stopped only to restart again. I strongly suggest contacting the human resources office and request to speak with a manager to the worker on your case.

Going deeper with your post I want to point out how often when we experience some kind of hardship we automatically retreat into a "I'm not supported" cave of thought - I know cause I did it - and the beauty of your sharing of the experience is demonstrating that we can be supported in ways we hadn't even imagined.

Kudos to the farmers offering goods to Larysa. Do our network of community farmers have a means for making excess available to those with great need?

I also want to point out despite the "corrupt systems" in our world, our county resources team has proven to continually provide new programs to support people's health, i.e. - food stamps being accepted at the various farmers markets - hurrah for that ~

In closing it seems you were accepted into the program Larysa and a "hiccup" happened - trust that they will be fixing the error and commend yourself for asking for assistance -

Trust yourself in moving through this hard time and may you receive all that you need

InJoy,
    Rei

19. TopTop #11
    Shandi

Re: Life Purpose Denied: A Human Rights Issue

I'm glad you were able to clear up the Food Stamp glitch.

I don't believe that your life purpose can be denied by anyone because you're unemployed and unable to find a job. I encourage you to identify your life purpose so this community is aware of it. I also encourage you to find a place to volunteer that uses the elements of your life purpose, so that you may feel more fulfilled, and connect with others who have similar life purposes.

I don't have a job, but my life purpose is reflected in my daily acts and words. Please look for ways to share your gifts and talents, even if you don't get paid....otherwise we all lose.

I doubt if most politicians, or for that matter anyone will put their jobs on the line for the rest of us. If the loss of lives doesn't affect the status quo, I doubt that a "resume mosaic of potentiality" will have much of an effect, but if you believe that it's the best use of your time, I would encourage you to gather with those who agree.

Dear Everyone!

Thank you very much for your gracious postings and emails!!! Yes, it got worked out today without a State hearing!!!
    First of all: I want to publically apologize regarding Ms. Perry, she had no idea about the notice I received and assured me my paperwork was complete. Computer generated notices apparently override human actions. Probably not a good thing for us.

In speaking w/ friends and reading the emails sent privately to me, there is a great need for many to secure meaningful work whether they are self-employed or work for someone else. Struggling to meet our basic needs of food and shelter has been ongoing for too many people too long, as well as not being able to share their skills, talents and gifts to benefit other sentient beings. Fulfilling our life purpose is our birth right and our birth rite bringing us great joy!

Enough is enough.

I lived in San Diego - a military town - for many years and am well aware of the enormous amounts of money spent on all things that go BOOM!!! It's a no brainer that WAR has trumped education, health, basic needs, etc. in this country and we cannot survive. I suggest meeting w/ our elected officials as a group and bringing our resumes to them so they really get the loss of human productivity to our county to our state and to our country. These resumes would form a mosaic of potentiality.

Our political leaders need to have the courage and chutzpah to be willing to put their jobs on the line for the rest of us: adults and children. They need to stand up and say "No more defense (offense) spending!" There's more military stuff and gadgets on earth and in outer space then we need to obliterate the entire solar system.

I am serious about meeting w/ our Senators and Representatives for starters. I'll even shave my legs and put on a business suit. If anyone is interested in being part of this professional delegation, please post your ideas here and we can organize a meeting. I think the pain many of us feel is: Life Purpose Denied. Time to reclaim and fulfill!

Thank you for reaching out to me. Looking forward to making a HUGE shift starting in Sonoma County!

Hugs & Blessings,

Larysa

20. Gratitude expressed by:

21. TopTop #12
    podfish

Quote Posted in reply to the post by CSummer: View Post
    ....At some point, though, we need to stop turning to government for aid and start turning to each other. ...
    ... actually, turning to government aid is kinda the same thing. People often seem to see government as an extension of the king - in our society, it's supposed to be an extension of ourselves. Rather than fighting or resisting it as if it were a surrogate for the king, we'd be better off occupying it (to use contemporary jargon) and ensuring it does act as our own surrogate should!
    There's no reason a citizen's access to society's support should be metered by the number of his friends.

22. Gratitude expressed by 5 members: