Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Zeno Swijtink

Is Whole Foods out of touch with the community?

Is Whole Foods out of touch with the community? It's still offering Hobbs's liquid at a marked-up price in its cooler section. -- Zeno

| Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by 5 members:

3. TopTop #2
    Zeno Swijtink

Re: Is Whole Foods out of touch with the community?

“To me, his wines are unpalatable as they carry strong tones of environmental harm with overwhelming notes of arrogance,” Carrillo wrote.

4. Gratitude expressed by 6 members:

5. TopTop #3
    Iolchan

Whole Foods as a company has a rather interesting & curious history. It started out as a hippie Food collective in New Orleans, back in 1969. It did very well, and soon was off and running... Sometime in the early 70's - around 1972, as I recall - they wanted to expand the good thing they had going, down in New Orleans, and move it on over to Austin, Texas. But they needed some capital to do that. So they took on a partner; some other successful company that had venture Capital.

Later, the new partners engaged in some manner of 'hostile takeover,' and the [former] hippies were given das boot. Then the whole thing was packaged, and sold as a kind of counter-cultural food-chain, complete with slick New-Age patina, and air-ducts that look like something out of the movie, "BRAZIL"

When Whole Foods came to Berkeley, back in the 1980's, after the demise of the CO-OP, some of the old CO-OP die-hards kept a picket going at the Whole Foods store at Ashby and Telegraph, (where one of the CO-OP markets had been.) The pickets were there for several years, rain or shine. I never crossed that picket line, as long as it lasted, and I always took the flyers they handed out, too.

One thing I remember from the leaflets that were circulated in those days {mid-to-late 'eighties, down in Berkeley} still stays with me: that the new, corporate owners of Whole Foods {after the New Orleans hipsters were given the boot, had an interlocking directorate with Raytheon Corporation, and other Sun Belt "defense" industry giants. Small World.

Last edited by Iolchan; 12-18-2011 at 01:58 AM.

6. TopTop #4

Yah....I was just thinking today about what a greenwashed store Whole Foods is. They sell unlabeled GMO food and refuse to carry raw milk. I only shop there if I can't make it to the farmer's market or it's something the Good Earth doesn't carry....only as a last resort. I just don't want to support them. Too corporate.

By the way, I just heard today that Seeds of Change, one of the largest organic seed companies, is owned by pro GMO corporate giant, Mars. Does anyone see a conflict of interest? Does anyone think there might be a problem?

Read more of this post

Liz
    Opt-out of having a smart meter whether you have one now or not, anytime. 1-866-743-0263 24/7 Spread the word. More info here.

7. Gratitude expressed by 8 members:

8. TopTop #5
    Oceans11

Re: Is Whole Foods out of touch with the community? Definetly ! THanks for your post this

This issue is long overdue. I was always praying hoping for a food coop in Sebastopol similar to the one in Brooklyn. What has gone wrong with places like Sebastopol that seem to be asleep and support corporate take overs without a doubt. Whole foods has taken over the local food economy, is not socially, financially or ecologically responsible to the locals what ever city it exists in (although its marketing executives try to convince us otherwise,) has no union or decent treatment of its employees and puts other local stores out of business. Life would be better if there were more Santa rosa community markets, Brooklyn food coops, and Rainbow grocery collectives replacing all the whole food stores.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Iolchan: View Post

Whole Foods as a company has a rather interesting & curious history. It started out as a hippie Food collective in New Orleans, back in 1969. It did very well, and soon was off and running... Sometime in the early 70's - around 1972, as I recall - they wanted to expand the good thing they had going, down in New Orleans, and move it on over to Austin, Texas. But they needed some capital to do that. So they took on a partner; some other successful company that had venture Capital.

Later, the new partners engaged in some manner of 'hostile takeover,' and the [former] hippies were given das boot. Then the whole thing was packaged, and sold as a kind of counter-cultural food-chain, complete with slick New-Age patina, and air-ducts that look like something out of the movie, "BRAZIL"

When Whole Foods came to Berkeley, back in the 1980's, after the demise of the CO-OP, some of the old CO-OP die-hards kept a picket going at the Whole Foods store at Ashby and Telegraph, (where one of the CO-OP markets had been.) The pickets were there for several years, rain or shine. I never crossed that picket line, as long as it lasted, and I always took the flyers they handed out, too.

One thing I remember from the leaflets that were circulated in those days {mid-to-late 'eighties, down in Berkeley} still stays with me: that the new, corporate owners of Whole Foods {after the New Orleans hipsters were given the boot, had an interlocking directorate with Raytheon Corporation, and other Sun Belt "defense" industry giants. Small World.

9. Gratitude expressed by 7 members:

10. TopTop #6

What happened to the thriving local health food store in the heart of downtown Sebastopol? I haven't been up there for a long time. Please don't tell me Whole Foods came in and put it out of business.

Liz
    Opt-out of having a smart meter whether you have one now or not, anytime. 1-866-743-0263 24/7 Spread the word. More info here.

11. TopTop #7
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Whole Foods bought Food For Thought years ago.
    Which also means that Food For Thought sold out to Whole Foods.
    Good Earth, in Fairfax, is quite the exceptional store, including not selling out, on many levels...

Quote Posted in reply to the post by ubaru: View Post
    What happened to the thriving local health food store in the heart of downtown Sebastopol? I haven't been up there for a long time. Please don't tell me Whole Foods came in and put it out of business.

Liz

12. Gratitude expressed by 6 members:

13. TopTop #8
    1104GT

I've never understood why people flock to Whole Foods. Just just a giant, corporate, overpriced Safeway in green clothing. The farmers market or Fircrest Market are MUCH better alternatives. Fircrest is locally owned, has a good selection of local and organic products, reasonable prices and they will actually get something unusual for you if you request it. The scale of the place and friendly staff all just adds to the positive experience. Pacific Market is another local alternative, but I don't think their produce and selection compares to Fircrest and their prices are just plain nuts.

Go with a local market and leave Whole Foods for the soft headed people who think they are doing the right thing when in reality, they are just feeding another global beast.

14. Gratitude expressed by 11 members:

15. TopTop #9
    Roland Jacopetti

What do the Waccistas think about the Oliver's Markets? They're locally owned (I think), somewhat high priced but with an excellent selection, extremely friendly employees (I shop at the Montecito and Stony Point stores) and they give a ten percent discount to oldsters like me on Wednesdays. I also shop Community Market and, for those particular bargains unobtainable elsewhere, Trader Joes (blasphemy!)

Roland

16. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

17. TopTop #10
    Bryan

Our family CO-OP number was 4454. One thing I learned in Berkeley was never to cross a picket line.
    Another thing I learned was that co-op's can eventually fail if they can't compete with corporate decision making.
    Andronico's filled part of the gap with the co-op closing as a locally owned market, and places like Monterey Market, Berkeley Bowl keep some of the feeling alive.

Yesterday, we visited Shattuck and saw the line going out the door for pizza at the Cheese Board.
    That's a worker's collective that has succeeded.

https://cheeseboardcollective.coop/about

Here's a recent coop attempt that failed:

https://the-cog.org/?page_id=19

As someone running a member's club, we work very hard to get new members, and to keep the ones we have.
    Any alternative to standard commerce requires a LOT of personalized attention as well as a way to get
    people in the door. Note that a lot of things that co-ops were known for (e.g. member's discounts or rebates,
    bulk foods departments) were later co-opted by corporate chains (pun intended). I do remember things like Berkeley co-op's child care center though as something extra special and helpful. Wonder what corporate vendor would do that in today's environment?

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Iolchan: View Post

18. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

19. TopTop #11
    MichaMaya

Raytheon? Who knew? Thanks to WACCO, I now do ... no point in protesting for Peace & Justice if I shop at Whole Foods! Oh, for land to grow my own ... meanwhile, it'll be the Santa Rosa Community and the Sebastopol Farmer's Markets.

20. Gratitude expressed by:

21. TopTop #12

I really like Oliver's; but I do not like the VP & General Manager Tom Scott. I found him to be very rude, and arrogant when I had to deal with him on a professional matter. I also think roundabouts are a good thing, and I deplore the tactics he used with the City of Cotati.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Roland: View Post
    What do the Waccistas think about the Oliver's Markets? They're locally owned (I think), somewhat high priced but with an excellent selection, extremely friendly employees (I shop at the Montecito and Stony Point stores) and they give a ten percent discount to oldsters like me on Wednesdays. I also shop Community Market and, for those particular bargains unobtainable elsewhere, Trader Joes (blasphemy!)

Roland

22. TopTop #13

I was a member of the Cotati Co-op when I moved here nearly 30 years ago; loved it.

Community market is, I think, employee owned. With all the competition they're getting; they might benefit by going the co-op route, and expand into other towns. I've mentioned this to them several times, but they've not been interested.

Not sure many folks know the Sebastopol Farmer's market is going year round now.

So many folks would love a co-op in Sebastopol, it's a shame one has not emerged; maybe the Barlow center will find a spot for one with the inventive enterprisers here.

I did hear from a gal at an Occupy/City Council meeting that the Spiral Foods co-op in Graton is looking for ways to have a store.

Also, I understand the Whole Foods refused to take Paul Hobbs wine off their self as many requested, after finding Hobbs to be unaccountable for their deplorable, unethical and illegal, social and environmental practices.

I spread my food shopping around to many retailers; and I'm a hypocrite, I do shop at WF sometimes; but would whole heartedly support a co-op.

Maybe we could start a list of everyone who would join a West County co-op, with an estimated annual dollar amount of monthly: food, personal care and cleaning products, and supplements spending. This would help inspire potential investors; and perhaps make existing food markets demonstrate how much they value their customers.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by MichaMaya: View Post
    Raytheon? Who knew? Thanks to WACCO, I now do ... no point in protesting for Peace & Justice if I shop at Whole Foods! Oh, for land to grow my own ... meanwhile, it'll be the Santa Rosa Community and the Sebastopol Farmer's Markets.

23. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

24. TopTop #14
    AllorrahBe

"Maybe we could start a list of everyone who would join a West County co-op, with an estimated annual dollar amount of monthly: food, personal care and cleaning products, and supplements spending. This would help inspire potential investors; and perhaps make existing food markets demonstrate how much they value their customers."

I would be willing to help with such a project... data entry or whatever... keep me in mind if anyone gets a co-op going here!

Thanks for your post.

Happy Holidays, all!

Rev. Allorrah Be
    Circles of Light Ministries

25. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

26. TopTop #15

Thanks for reminding the public Zeno.

Carrillo's hypocrisy regarding Hobbs should seal the deal that he is never elected to ANY office. If the public comments section of the BOS meetings were video tapped, you could see for yourself how many times he was told about the shameful ways Hobbs was taking Jenkel's property; you could also see how he voted to approve what they did. The County has enough lawyers to make the illegal look legal; they've had a long time to perfect their schemes. Carrillo is continually groomed by faux environmentalist Eric Koenigshofer. If you all don't take action, we will lose many more dry farmed apple orchards and redwood forests to wine grape conversions very soon. Efren and Eric are answering to the demands of the 1%, not the majority of West County.

I was not fooled by Carillo, or Obama.

Where are the challengers for 5th District Supervisors???

Stand up now, or else we need to recruit someone.

Has Sarah Gurney expressed interest?

Nominations anyone?

BTW, do you think Feinstein works for the 99%? If not, please help me challenge her to do so. This race is not about me, it's about you. What are the 5 most important things you want your Senator to take action on?

Occupying the offices of the House and Senate members is a much better use of one's efforts; they are the enablers who let Wall Street do biz as usual. They can stop it; but only if they fear they will lose their seats.

Much thanks,

Colleen Fernald

California's Constitutional Candidate for PEACE!
    UNITED States Senate
    2012 Democratic Primary

campaignforpeace.org

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Zeno Swijtink: View Post
    “To me, his wines are unpalatable as they carry strong tones of environmental harm with overwhelming notes of arrogance,” Carrillo wrote.

27. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

28. TopTop #16
    sambacat
    Supporting member

Re: Is Whole Foods out of touch with the community? Definetly ! THanks for your post this

Your wish is granted! I just read about a new food/bulk goods coop launching here in West County. It sounds fabulous. Check out: www.spiralfoods.coop.

29. Gratitude expressed by 6 members:

30. TopTop #17
    Iolchan

Poster Art

Hey, you'all, just remember; the struggle for Economic, Industrial,
    and Agricultural Democracy - and parity for the farmers, as well
    as the consumers; i.e.,
    the People - has been going on for a long time...

Name:  pop-soc.jpg
Views: 1994
Size:  126.7 KB

Cartoon (c. 1934) from the Farmer-Labor Party,
    which party grew out of the Political Prairie Fire;
    the Non-Partisan League, of North Dakota, 1915-6...

...which Movement, had roots in The Grange,
    founded in the Mid-West, in the 1870's...

Last edited by Iolchan; 12-10-2011 at 03:52 AM.

31. Gratitude expressed by 5 members:

32. TopTop #18
    Sabelrose

Hello Community,

In response to the direction this thread took on folks craving a market that reflects the needs of our community, I'm happy to let you know that there IS A FOOD CO-OP in West Sonoma County!

It's called Spiral Foods Cooperative. Our team has been organizing for over a year now and we are incorporated in the midst of a membership drive. We have over 100 members already and have raised over $25K. The vision is to create a retail marketplace, cafe and commercial kitchen that is owned by the community, workers and farmers/producers, and we need help from everyone in the community.

I will happily tell you more here but please visit the website, www.spiralfoods.coop and click to join the e-newsletter. The group has been holding informative and fun community potlucks every month, and the next one is December 18 from 2-6 in Graton, at Bambu Tea House. Check out the invite: https://us4.campaign-archive2.com/?u...&id=9ef182aa97

The co-op's email is [email protected]. I plan on starting a thread soon about this, but for today please help spread the word!

Sabel Regalia [email protected]
    www.spiralfoods.coop

33. Gratitude expressed by 6 members:

34. TopTop #19
    Iolchan

Maybe the Question should be: Is Raytheon out of Touch with the Community?

=OR=

Does Sebastopol Community Harmonize & Resonate with Raytheon Corporation?

35. TopTop #20
    Investigative Reporter

I am excited about the spiral Foods coop and would prefer to shop there than Whole Foods. I hope they have a nice salad bar and sit down area so we can make a destination out of it, and bring our guitars

36. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

37. TopTop #21
    Zeno Swijtink

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Peacetown Jonathan: View Post
    I am excited about the spiral Foods coop and would prefer to shop there than Whole Foods. I hope they have a nice salad bar and sit down area so we can make a destination out of it, and bring our guitars
    I am also excited about the Spiral Foods Coop.

However, I want them to rent a location in Sebastopol (gateway to West County, more traffic!!) and not go for the 1000 members a $300/member strategy in Graton (even the slow $25/quarter option for low income is awkward. That will take 3 years to reach full membership level, too long a timeframe to get traction. That's just 37cents/a day! Just a few cigarettes. Kind of insulting.).

I think they need a 400 members for $25/month till $300 (=one year) to create a bootstrap opportunity for getting a foothold in Sebastopol.

38. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

39. TopTop #22
    friartuck

As a board member of Spiral Foods, I wanted to respond to this post. First and foremost, the traffic in Sebastopol is exactly why we have chosen to focus on Graton for our store and commercial kitchen. Downtown Sebastopol can lovingly be described as having energetic traffic stagnation. A great number West County residents who live west and north of Sebastopol express a diminishing desire to commute into Sebastopol to fight traffic and search for parking. Graton has no grocery store, and is ever more enticing for people who seek a slower, more relaxed food shopping experience. We have also not ruled out Sebastopol for a store. It could be a smaller retail space without a production kitchen that would be stocked from our main facility. If the right situation presented itself, we would even consider locating the main store in Sebastopol, but neither of those options will happen until we complete the member drive phase of organizing this co-op.

On the topic of membership amounts, the numbers we are seeking are based on well researched and successful co-op protocols that come from the numerous co-op advisors we have working with us. We believe that a $25/quarterly payment is a very welcome option for folks who are struggling to make ends meet but really want to be a part of this movement. We have been thanked over and over for allowing people to join even though they can’t afford a full membership. We also see a great number of people still choosing to join with the contribution that they can afford. As a point of reference, the San Clemente Food Co-op has been incorporated for twice the amount time that we have, but is only allowing full membership payments. To date, they have 32 members ($9,600), while Spiral has 140 and has raised over $15,000. In addition, we are not seeking 1000 fully paid members to start development, but 1000 members committed to full payment within 3 years. This will help us to project our member income through the development and startup phases in our business plan. It also is important for our sales projection to say: “If ¼ of our members shop every week and spend X dollars, we will bring in X dollars/year from our members alone.”

Finally, we already DO have traction in the community. We have been organizing for a year and a half now and have only now started to move beyond basic grass roots organizing tactics to really engage and organize the community. Co-op’s typically take between 3-5 years from the first meeting of a steering committee to opening doors for business, and we are ahead of schedule for the phase we are in now.

If anyone out there wants to know more or have their voice heard, please come to our monthly potlucks and become a member and take part in the process. This is our food system and our co-op!!

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Zeno Swijtink: View Post
    I am also excited about the Spiral Foods Coop.

However, I want them to rent a location in Sebastopol (gateway to West County, more traffic!!) and not go for the 1000 members a $300/member strategy in Graton (even the slow $25/quarter option for low income is awkward. That will take 3 years to reach full membership level, too long a timeframe to get traction. That's just 37cents/a day! Just a few cigarettes. Kind of insulting.).

I think they need a 400 members for $25/month till $300 (=one year) to create a bootstrap opportunity for getting a foothold in Sebastopol.

40. Gratitude expressed by 6 members:

41. TopTop #23
    Sabelrose

Zeno thank you for bringing attention to important elements of this venture. Tucker, thanks for your response. Our board and operations team spends a great deal of time carefuly navigating each decision, and we welcome ideas and questions. Co-ops are transparent with numbers and I am happy to share a bit of info from my membership payment spreadsheet. It has not yet been updated to reflect the member drive event yesterday, though glancing over the 30+ forms right now it seems consistent.

Of 94 members, 26 gave a full $300 ($7,500) 21 gave $100 or $150 ($2,650), 27 gave $50 ($1,350), 16 gave $25 ($400) and 4 gave $60 ($240) totalling $12,115, averaging $128/member.

47 members gave $100-300.
    47 members gave $25-60.

To me, those numbers speak to the spectrum of wealth of the folks who have shown support of Spiral Foods thus far.

We welcome all of you to be able to contribute to this community project however you can. Those of you that are abundant with money, please consider giving the full equity investment. Those that are working with a tighter budget, we offer a reasonable installment plan.

In community,
    Sabel Regalia
    Membership and Outreach Coordinator
    Spiral Foods Cooperative Board Member

42. Gratitude expressed by 5 members:

43. TopTop #24
    Zeno Swijtink

Tucker and Sabel, thank you both for your detailed and thoughtful responses. I am supporting this project.

I am on the leadership team of Slow Food Russian River and we are planning a community apple press. This is a possibility for a partnership with the commercial kitchen you are planning.

I wonder whether some further analytical tools may be helpful in making good choices.

Spatial: Mapping the home addresses of your members with dots of various colors representing the level of their $$ commitments. If possible add an arrow of a certain length to each dot, representing the dominant direction and extent of that member's regular travel.

For instance, I live in South Sebastopol, and my arrow points SW towards Santa Rosa and Rohnert Park, where I work. So, although I am supporting this project, the Graton location would probably mean that I will visit the store only for durable staple items, maybe once or twice a month, just as I use Andy's now.

Temporal: Display temporally the commitments members have made thus far, both when they were made, and the total cumulative $$ that has been given or promised into the next three years. This allows you to see trends and extrapolate into the next three years.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Sabelrose: View Post
    Zeno thank you for bringing attention to important elements of this venture. Tucker, thanks for your response. Our board and operations team spends a great deal of time carefuly navigating each decision, and we welcome ideas and questions. Co-ops are transparent with numbers and I am happy to share a bit of info from my membership payment spreadsheet. It has not yet been updated to reflect the member drive event yesterday, though glancing over the 30+ forms right now it seems consistent.

Of 94 members, 26 gave a full $300 ($7,500) 21 gave $100 or $150 ($2,650), 27 gave $50 ($1,350), 16 gave $25 ($400) and 4 gave $60 ($240) totalling $12,115, averaging $128/member.

47 members gave $100-300.
    47 members gave $25-60.

To me, those numbers speak to the spectrum of wealth of the folks who have shown support of Spiral Foods thus far.

We welcome all of you to be able to contribute to this community project however you can. Those of you that are abundant with money, please consider giving the full equity investment. Those that are working with a tighter budget, we offer a reasonable installment plan.

In community,
    Sabel Regalia
    Membership and Outreach Coordinator
    Spiral Foods Cooperative Board Member

44. Gratitude expressed by 2 members: