Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1

Smart Meter Urgent Update Fairfax and West Marin--Flyer For Neighbors

Download this as a word doc here

URGENT UPDATE:
    According to word from the Fairfax Town Council, PG&E/Wellington is possibly going to begin installing 'Smart Meters' in Fairfax Friday (8/19/2011) or on Monday in 2 days (8/22/2011), despite the Fairfax moratorium on their installation.

Reports from other towns are that, PG&E/Wellington is cutting locks homeowners placed on their meters to replace the meters anyway. Thus placing yourself/your vehicles between installers and your meters/your neighbor's meters may be necessary. Lock your gates. Block your meters with your car or another heavy object, while still allowing meter readers to do their job (or post a card with the numbers at the front of your property). Despite this, it is important to take all available actions 1, 2, and 3 here to take all available measures to build a credible legal case to win a future legal battle as a town, if that becomes necessary. You have property rights, privacy rights, and health and safety rights, all which would be violated unless you stand up for them. A renter home alone in a big apartment complex DOES have the right to stop smart meter installation for the whole complex.

Do not cave in to false threats. It’s illegal to turn off your power. We are working for free opt-out. The Town Council says the law is most definitely on our side. PG&E is violating the law in at least 7 different ways.

Because Smart Meters “talk” to each other in a far reaching range of electro-magnetic frequencies, it’s important that everyone in the neighborhood not have them. They emit far more radiation than cell phone and wireless internet. Radiation from one house can make neighbor’s kids get leukemia. Please do your part to keep everyone safe. The WHO just released data that non-ionizing microwave radiation is a Class 2 carcinogen in the same category as DDT, lead, and chloroform. It is common for strong healthy people to report bad headaches, nausea, ringing in the ears, inability to sleep and hyperactivity as soon as Smart meters are installed. The elderly are getting sudden heart attacks. Pets and children are even more susceptible. You can get a better idea of the distance radiation emits from a single meter in this informative YouTube video “The Dark Side of Smart Meters” https://youtu.be/FLeCTaSG2-U

Besides this Smart Meters intrude on your privacy, decrease property values, give unreliable billing, and are not UL certified (they ARE bursting into flames--want one on your gas meter)? Meter installers are NOT licensed electricians, they are temp workers.

ACTION STEPS TO TAKE NOW:

1) CALL the 24/7 PG&E delay list 1(877) 743-7378- mention that what you really want is to opt-out. Do not let them lull you into complacency with talk about how the CPUC is going to make it optional. Until it’s law, they are currently installing new electric and gas meters. NEW RENTER? PG&E installs before you move in- call for delay when you put your $$ down! If utilities are included in the rent, provide this info to your landlord. Request this for your rental agreement.

2) Call Wellington (the primary ‘Smart’Meter installers) M-F 8am-8pm Sat 9-5pm, at 1-866-671-1001 –tell them you do not accept the installation of a ‘Smart’Meter. Get a confirmation #, confirming that Wellington will send back the work order for installation to PG&E., indicating you declined to accept the installation. Tell them to call you if they receive a new order for your home.

3) Please make ‘DO NOT INSTALL SMART METER’ signs and place on both your electric and gas meters. Place in a ziplock bag and tape to your meters. Do not block the numbers from being read. This is will stop miscommunication from steps 1 and 2. Later, buy stickers from https://www.refusesmartmeter.com/ because they take 10 days to arrive. Yes, a sign won’t necessarily stop them, but you do need to say NO to establish a legal precedent. Take a photo of the date on a newspaper with your sign in the background for evidence. The Delay list is said to be a joke, but please call it and the Wellington number for the same reason.

Here is a suggested sign for your meters:

DO NOT INSTALL SMART METERS!!
    YOU ARE TRESPASSING!! LEAVE NOW!! INSTALLATION OF SMART METERS IS IN VIOLATION OF FAIRFAX’S TOWN ORDINANCE AND MY WISHES.
    I am the ratepayer responsible for utility services at _______________. I herewith authorize any neighbor or ANYONE, including you, dear installer, to act on my behalf, representing my interests in declining installation of any "Smart Meter" or similar surveillance and activity monitoring device, or devices, at the above address.
    //your signature//

4) Form a Neighborhood Watch and keep your eyes out for installers. Set up a telephone tree. They don't wear uniforms and they just drive white, blue, or gray vehicles with another company's name on it (probably Wellington). Nothing says PGE on it so you would not know. They park away from your house, do not knock on your door, and work quickly. They could easily complete the install right under your nose. You might mistake them for your neighbor’s gardener. One woman reports, “If it hadn’t been for my dog barking, I never would have known he was there.”

part 2 below
    Last edited by ubaru; 08-21-2011 at 08:37 PM.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2

Re: Smart Meter Urgent Update Fairfax and West Marin--Flyer For Neighbors

part 2

5) Get a copy of this flyer to give to a circle of your neighbors 3 houses wide. Go to www.waccobb.net and do a search for Smart Meter Urgent Update Fairfax and West Marin--Flyer For Neighbors Please also see How to Prevent Smart Meter Action Steps Flyer--Updated

This flyer and updates will be posting there. You may download this as a Word document here SmartMeterUrgentUpdatePublic.doc Please distribute widely. Look out for each other especially when your neighbor’s on vacation.

We are organizing neighborhood volunteers to head off installations. Call the Fairfax Police at 456-5330 or the Fairfax Town Hall at 453-1584 or (add your names and phone numbers) The Police may have their hands full if the installers come in fleets like they did in Santa Cruz. Meanwhile if you see a truck in the neighborhood, grab your cell phone, get in your vehicle, and park in their truck, blocking it, (you can also use your body) while you call the Police, or us for reinforcements. Do not let them do that installation. If they continue playing dirty tricks like they have been, our only recourse it to physically defend our meters and our neighbor’s meters.

(Edit this paragraph with your info as desired)

I am (add your name) @ (your address) (your phone number) andI have distributed 27 copies of this flyer to the circle of neighbors around me covering (add street addresses). I have also distributed it via email to everyone I know in Fairfax, the San Geronimo Valley, Marin (and beyond). Please pay it forward.

Please email me @ (add your email address) and let me know when you’ve completed steps 1,2,and 3, and if you need any help. Please put “I’m your neighbor at your address” in the subject line. Please indicate if you want to be blind copied or open copied. Include your phone number(s) if you want to be part of a telephone tree to alert neighbors of an unmarked Wellington van/truck in the neighborhood. The following documents can be obtained by emailing me: Medical waiver letter, the letter to email to the CPUC below (flooding them with letters gets their attention) Timely Updates,.Resources, A map of the addresses of the residences that have been informed and have completed action steps 1,2, and 3. And these flyers in the form of Word docs to email and print for your neighbors. If you feel like it, please send me a few bucks via PayPal or to (add your name and address) as I’ve put many days work into this, I’ll continue to work to protect our neighborhood, and I’ve spent about $150 to date for stickers and printing costs. (And I’m just a renter ;-)

If you have smart meters already installed, please let me know so we know who needs EMF protection. (There are devices one can obtain but it’s far better to not have Smart Meters). You can buy an analog electric meter at your hardware store, hire an electrician to switch it out, and keep his name private. Similarly, use a plumber for the gas meter. Mail Smart Meters back to PG$E return receipt along with a complaint letter (listing your symptoms or how it’s negatively affected you and your neighbors), medical waiver letter, etc. and a bill for changing them out.

If you don't have a smart meter yet and you don't want one you can do something about it by downloading and submitting this file:
    https://refusesmartmeter.com/Small%20Steps%20To%20Avoid%20Big%20Injuries.pdf

If you have a smart meter and you don't want one you can do something about by downloading and submitting this file:
    https://refusesmartmeter.com/A%20Small%20Claim%20With%20Big%20Consequences.pdf

Please send this pre-written letter to the CPUC
    https://emfsafetynetwork.org/?p=1588 (flooding them with letters gets their attention)
    The CPUC said they weren't many complaints so let them hear from you! It really only takes a small group of committed people to overthrow a big monopoly with a bad idea.

THE SOLAR OPTON: If you have solar, they can't install a smart meter (but they can install one on your gas, unless have propane, so please guard your gas meter). Let PG&E know if you're intending to install a solar system ASAP, (PG&E is looking to have all smart meters installed by February, also people on the delay list). See if your neighbors are interested in installing solar panels too. It’s possible to lease a $0 down solar system from Sungevity which can result in a monthly payment similar to your current bill, cheaper, or even make you money if you are in tiers 2,3, or 4 on your electric bill. You must be a homeowner or perhaps your landlord can find out more from:
    Michael Peterson Solar Consultant Sungevity
    (w) 510.496.5561
    (m) 510.295.5008
    [email protected] If you tell him the referral code of MPETERSON when you request a quote before the end of August 2011 you will get a rebate of $1000 and a free iPad. Beginning September 2011 you will get a $500 rebate and a free iPad.

A BIG THANK YOU TO EVERYONE!! TOGETHER WE CAN PRESERVE OUR RIGHT TO ENJOY OUR PROPERTY WITHOUT NUISANCE!

(Your name, phone, email)

Download this as a word doc here
    SmartMeterUrgentUpdatePublic.doc
    Last edited by ubaru; 08-20-2011 at 09:46 PM.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

3. Gratitude expressed by: