Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Ted Pole

THUMBS UP: Buddies Pizza---THUMBS DOWN bogus delivery charges?

I noticed there isn't a thread where we can rave and rant about local businesses the we like and hate, so, me being a crank and all, I thought I'd start one.

You're welcome.

So, out on my evening constitutional, I walked by Buddies Pizza tonight, thinking about a pizza delivered when I got home. Went in, talked to the nice guy behind the counter, got a to-go menu and went home. Read on the menu that there's free delivery with a $15 minimum order. That's good, so I called up and ordered a three-topping medium ($15.95).

Delivery guy arrives and says "That'll be $21.00". So, I kinda think a minute, and remember reading this website and thinking, "okay, I don't wanna be too big of a dick", so I ask him "Is there a delivery charge?", and he says yeah, and I ask him how much of it he gets, and he says two dollars. So, me not being a dick and all, I give him $25, and realize I will NEVER eat at Buddies Pizza again!

Too bad, too, because the pizza was all right.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by:

3. TopTop #2
    Keith of all trades

Re: THUMBS UP: Buddies Pizza---THUMBS DOWN bogus delivery charges?

**This is not a rant or a rave or an insult or a compliment - Keith**

Are you upset about feeling ripped off over the delivery charge or the overall cost?

We get Buddies Pizza now and again. And the pizza is usually pretty tasty. I've learned (by asking) that they have a 3 mile "free delivery area" which we are just beyond. Perhaps they will tell you a different limit after you give them your address, but who knows?

When we lived in Concord, I could get a better pizza delivered for $18. But hell, everything in Sebastopol costs more than in Concord. (I wish there was a Nation hamburger place nearby! Read: Breakfast for four for less than $20!)

I've talked to the owner of Buddie's pizza several times (he was probably the nice guy you talked to at the store?) and he seems to tell it like it is. If you have a coupon, he'll honor it, but he can't give away his product. And with gas at $4.25 a gallon, it probably costs his driver at least a buck just to deliver our pizza. He also hasn't raised his prices in the four years we've lived here.

Personally, we've gotten in the habit of stocking up on the Safeway Select frozen 4 cheese pizzas which we top with our own toppings. Usually $3.99 or less.

We also make our own dough (which takes two days if you want a nice chewy crust), buy mozzerella and mix our own pizza sauce. Our homemade pizza is also quite tasty, but probably still costs us more than buying a Papa Murphy's take-n-bake.

For us, we are happy to call Buddies when we are tired, its late, and the maid and butler have taken the night off. I also give the driver a $3 or $4 tip. Then we relax and eat. Plus we have the left overs for the next day.

Pizza should be cheap, unless you live in Sebastopol!

Keith
    Keith-of-all-trades
    Handyman Service
    www.westcountyrepair.com

4. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

5. TopTop #3
    Ted Pole

Hi Keith,

I was unpleasantly surprised by the delivery charge when the "to-go menu" the guy handed me said "Free Delivery with $15 minimum order". I don't know if he decided to charge me or if the delivery guy decided to charge me, but I live maybe a little more than a mile from Buddies. Now, I'm no math teacher, but even at $4.50 a gallon, a three mile trip in a car that gets 25 miles per gallon will cost you 60 cents (and I'm being generous). Buddies is rockin' a four dollar "free delivery".

Mombo's is far better pizza, though more expensive, and there's no delivery charge (and they're farther away from me than Buddie's). All I'm saying is buyer beware when you order from Buddies.

Thanks for your ideas on cheap pies.

6. TopTop #4
    loi
    Supporting Member

actually mombo's does have a delivery charge.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Ted Pole: View Post
    Hi Keith,

I was unpleasantly surprised by the delivery charge when the "to-go menu" the guy handed me said "Free Delivery with $15 minimum order". I don't know if he decided to charge me or if the delivery guy decided to charge me, but I live maybe a little more than a mile from Buddies. Now, I'm no math teacher, but even at $4.50 a gallon, a three mile trip in a car that gets 25 miles per gallon will cost you 60 cents (and I'm being generous). Buddies is rockin' a four dollar "free delivery".

Mombo's is far better pizza, though more expensive, and there's no delivery charge (and they're farther away from me than Buddie's). All I'm saying is buyer beware when you order from Buddies.

Thanks for your ideas on cheap pies.

7. Gratitude expressed by: