Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    vganmom

New Santa Rosa flea Market- Sunday March 27- 8am-1pm- Please come and support the new mkt

[FONT=ari
    [/FONT]

Hi- Well it looks like we may have a dry day for the new santa
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    pcvjanova

Re: New Santa Rosa flea Market- Sunday March 27- 8am-1pm- Please come and support the new

what is the location?

3. Gratitude expressed by:

4. TopTop #3
    Sciguy

Re: New Santa Rosa flea Market- Sunday March 27- 8am-1pm- Please come and support the new

Quote Posted in reply to the post by pcvjanova: View Post
    what is the location?
    When I first came to Sebastopol about thirty years ago, there was a thriving flea market south of Bloomfield road south of town. All the tables were full of people paying a small fee to sell their collections of used goods. It was a great, vibrant flea market and I spent many a Saturday roaming the tables. Then it began to change. Maybe it was the booming refinance economy but what I saw as critical was the arrival of the Mexican based tables (no I don't know what country anyone really comes from) that mostly sold new goods. Simultaneously the tables of used goods began to go emptier and emptier until there were only about 20% of what there used to be. I looked over the new goods, and there were the few bargains and some good tropical fruits but it was different. I came away with the impression that there was a conflict between the sale of new goods and old goods. Personally I prefer the old goods, the real flea market, not a Tijuana like setting. I still have tools from those days that I treasure.

I recognize that the sellers of new, cheap goods are legitimate and have a function that an outdoor, low rent setting serves. But it seems to me that if a new flea market is being set up, the conflict (if I'm right) should be acknowledged. If there are going to be new goods vendors, they should be in a special setup across the street from the flea market, not part of it. It should be possible, if desired, to go to the used goods flea market and never have to pass by the new vendors. The refinance economy is long gone and people need to resell goods over and over to get by. Many of those old or used items are excellent and well made. The new, cheap goods are not. Maybe this is the basis for the conflict.

I'm just trying to help out in the design of the flea market space to insure success. I hope this helps. I haven't visited the flea market for years. For a long time now, the place seems somehow sad when I drive by. A new one in Santa Rosa might be just the ticket.

Paul Palmer

5. Gratitude expressed by:

6. TopTop #4
    zenekar

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Sciguy: View Post
    When I first came to Sebastopol about thirty years ago...
    Paul Palmer
    ____

Why is it necessary to segregate areas in the flea market -- new vs used? Anyone can rent a table at the Sebastopol pulga (flea market) and sell whatever one has to sell. I haven't experienced a conflict, or anything sad about it. In the contrary, I see many families there enjoying the browsing and shopping. People go there to buy things they need at a lower cost. It's a thing to do -- go to the market to see what deals you can find, new, used, whatever. Pretty universal -- not only in Tijuana. Also, there is much produce there that people buy. Yes, Mexican families go there as well as Latinos from other countries who live here. The pulga is a good place to rub elbows with people in our community and get a taste of other cultures outside of familiar comfort zones.
    ______
    Last edited by Alex; 03-29-2011 at 05:14 PM. Reason: Shortened quoted text

7. Gratitude expressed by:

8. TopTop #5
    Sabrina

So we still haven't heard, "where is this new flea market?" I'd be interested just to not have to drive out of Santa Rosa to go to a flea market. I already know that there is a monthly flea market at the SR Vets building, wish it were more often. I think there could be room for more than one flea market in Santa Rosa. I haven't been to the flea market in ages (the one in Sebastopol) just because I haven't had the time to drive over there. We used to sell refurbished stuff there back when we could fix up VCR's to make money off them - now they're so cheap to buy those things, it's not worth it to fix 'em up any more. I never experienced the used stuff going away there, just if you get there late afternoon most of the good used stuff is gone, and the vendors with new stuff don't run out because they usually have also purchased permanent storage holders at the flea market where they can pull out more stuff, or they've got the permanent spots (that cost more money to rent too).

Quote Posted in reply to the post by zenekar: View Post
    ____

Why is it necessary to segregate areas in the flea market -- new vs used? Anyone can rent a table at the Sebastopol pulga (flea market) and sell whatever one has to sell. I haven't experienced a conflict, or anything sad about it. In the contrary, I see many families there enjoying the browsing and shopping. People go there to buy things they need at a lower cost. It's a thing to do -- go to the market to see what deals you can find, new, used, whatever. Pretty universal -- not only in Tijuana. Also, there is much produce there that people buy. Yes, Mexican families go there as well as Latinos from other countries who live here. The pulga is a good place to rub elbows with people in our community and get a taste of other cultures outside of familiar comfort zones.
    ______

9. TopTop #6
    fafner

I must be blind, but I still don't know where it is. I don't understand.

10. Gratitude expressed by: