Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    mamaglee

Group Forming in Forest Knolls for healthy ways to deal with removal/delay of Smart Meters

https://nosmartmeters.buurd.com

I joined the SmartWarriorMarin group when I read an article by Josh Hart and contacted him about opting out of smart meters. At that time my husband and I were looking for a new home. Someone in this group suggested buying a home in Fairfax because they had a "moratorium", city council support, a delay list and fewer installations than other places. We have a few friends, relatives, and my MD in the area, so we found an eco-green realtor and began our search 2 months ago.

We bought a house in Forest Knolls last Wednesday. Since the sellers are renting back from us for a few weeks, we asked if they would put themselves on the delay list and put up a No Smart Meter sign we purchased from Valeri. They complied. Our eco-green realtor assured us not to worry because smart meters weren't coming to West Marin yet. She said that the people here were pro-active and wouldn't let it happen.

Today we went to the property. When we pulled up, the Wellington truck was at our driveway. I was dumbfounded. I told the installer that we're on the delay list. He acknowledged that he saw our sign and was not going to remove our old meter and replace it with a smart meter. He did, however, go up and down the street (which dead ends into a big redwood forest and is surrounded on both sides by forest and open space), and replaced everyone else's meters with a smart meter.

My "clean, new, EMF-free-home" bubble burst when I saw all those new meters installed across the road and on either side of us. In addition, I was surprised not to see any other NO Smart Meter Signs in Forest Knolls. I was hoping that once we moved there we could become more active in the campaign against the installation. Some neighbors, and even our sellers, were not aware that there's a delay list, and not even aware of the issues with the meters.

I'm grateful that we were able to get our sign up in time, and I bet our eco-green West Marin realtor (vacationing in the tropics at the moment) will be shocked to hear about this. She's very into environmental activism and community support, and an active resident of a neighboring community. She might find a smart meter on her property when she returns from vacation...YIKES! I'm disappointed that the pristine neighborhood that existed yesterday, is less pristine today. But also concerned about the lack of knowledge of many people who live so near to Fairfax and other cities who have been so vocal in this campaign. Why doesn't PG&E/Wellington post a schedule so we can apprise citizens of the issues. Dumb idea, I know.

Onward Smart Warriors. . . what now?

Marcia
    Last edited by Barry; 12-02-2010 at 01:50 PM.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by 2 members: