Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    mommypants13

Noise Complaints

I live on Hutchins road in Sebastopol where I live in an apartment where I share a wall and driveway with my neighbor

The problem is that besides the fact that he smokes meth which I haven't said anything about although, I have reason to believe it may be one source of the problem it is that he starts blasting his music at about 10pm every night, and continues playing it until about 3am sometimes earlier.. Lots of times he is banging his hammer or sawing with his drill, adding to his 'garage' in the back, or loading and unloading stuff into his truck for hours

Although I have asked him repeatedly to stop, he continues to do this every night

So my question is about the noise ordinance, does it apply to music, because I only saw construction sounds when I looked it up. What about these types of construction sounds? If it does apply to music or power tools at all hours of the night. Does anyone know where I can find a copy of it so that I can slip it in his or his landlord's mailbox with a note about how I would like to avoid filing a noise complaint if he would like to avoid receiving one.

Any advice or help would be appreciated as I have a year old daughter who has been working on sleeping through the night and the funky after-hours jam sessions are in my opinion best left for Harmony Festivals.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    Varda

Re: Noise Complaints

Hi,

I would tape some of that noise and go to your landlord first, as it is his responsibility to provide you with habitable living quarters! let him go after that noise maker and his landlord! at least I would try it first!

Good luck!

Varda

Quote Posted in reply to the post by mommypants13: View Post
    I live on Hutchins road in Sebastopol where I live in an apartment where I share a wall and driveway with my neighbor

The problem is that besides the fact that he smokes meth which I haven't said anything about although, I have reason to believe it may be one source of the problem it is that he starts blasting his music at about 10pm every night, and continues playing it until about 3am sometimes earlier.. Lots of times he is banging his hammer or sawing with his drill, adding to his 'garage' in the back, or loading and unloading stuff into his truck for hours

Although I have asked him repeatedly to stop, he continues to do this every night

So my question is about the noise ordinance, does it apply to music, because I only saw construction sounds when I looked it up. What about these types of construction sounds? If it does apply to music or power tools at all hours of the night. Does anyone know where I can find a copy of it so that I can slip it in his or his landlord's mailbox with a note about how I would like to avoid filing a noise complaint if he would like to avoid receiving one.

Any advice or help would be appreciated as I have a year old daughter who has been working on sleeping through the night and the funky after-hours jam sessions are in my opinion best left for Harmony Festivals.

3. TopTop #3
    Roland Jacopetti

Hi. I have a neighbor kind of like that - I won't go into details. I live outside the Santa Rosa city limits so, when the noise becomes unreasonable, I call the Sheriff's office. If you live within the Sebastopol city limits, I suggest you call the Sebastopol police when the disturbance becomes unbearable. In my experience, things really calm way down for quite a while before I, or someone else on the block, has to do it again. If he has an on-premises meth lab, you might give him another chance, and tell him that you intend to bring in the law if he won't quit. Don't do that, though, if you have any feeling that it will put you in danger. I don't feel completely right about making this suggestion, and I hope someone else has a better idea. Good luck.

4. Gratitude expressed by:

5. TopTop #4
    kpage9

You can sue the landlord in small claims court for "nuisance", for $7,500.00. You might add that to the note (as something you'd like to avoid).

kp

The problem is that besides the fact that he smokes meth which I haven't said anything about although, I have reason to believe it may be one source of the problem it is that he starts blasting his music at about 10pm every night, and continues playing it until about 3am sometimes earlier.. Lots of times he is banging his hammer or sawing with his drill, adding to his 'garage' in the back, or loading and unloading stuff into his truck for hoursIt

6. TopTop #5
    photolite

If you have somebody immediately next door smoking meth, your biggest problem may not be noise.