Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

Thread: Yosemite Advice
  • Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    mckindly

Yosemite Advice

Anyone ever stayed in a "Heated Tent Cabin" in Yosemite in November?

Is it really heated?

Is there electricity in the tent cabin?

Type of lamps are there?

Maybe if you'd just email me I could ask you these and more.

Thanks
    Macy
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Re: Yosemite Advice

Quote Posted in reply to the post by mckindly: View Post

Is it really heated?

Type of lamps are there?

Thanks
    Macy
    I did years ago. As I remember it has a small woodburning stove and 1 electric light. You could bring a socket adapter to plug something else in.

3. TopTop #3
    anathstryx

Quote Posted in reply to the post by mckindly: View Post

Is it really heated?

Type of lamps are there?

Thanks
    Macy
    Hi Macy,

Take a look at this link: https://www.yosemitepark.com/Accommo...ngDetails.aspx

Scroll down on the page and it has all the info on Tent Cabins and Heated Tent Cabins. I've stayed in Yosemite several times but never in one of the tent cabins but it has been my experience that the accomodations are as advertised. The operative word is "rustic". It's a glorified tent. I would take a good sleeping bag, long underwear, and a lantern...and a copy of something written by John Muir.

"I must return to the mountains-to Yosemite. I am told that the winter storms there will not be easily borne, but I am bewitched, enchanted, and tomorrow I must start for the great temple to listen to the winter songs and sermons preached and sung only there"-John Muir to Mrs. Ezra Carr, Nov. 15, 1869

Hope you have a wonderful time!
    Anathstryx

4. Gratitude expressed by:

5. TopTop #4
    Sarah Dole

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Barry: View Post
    I did years ago. As I remember it has a small woodburning stove and 1 electric light. You could bring a socket adapter to plug something else in.
    We stayed in one of these tent cabins September 2009. The heat is propane. There is electric light but no outlets as I remember. You can call Camp Curry in Yosemite and get all the details. They are very helpful. We were there late in the summer. It had been cold so they had turned on the heat. When we arrived the weather was hot and we were very toasty in the tent cabin.

6. TopTop #5
    davidn

We have stayed in the valley several times in winter and have had great times. The tent cabins are great in teh summer. However I would recommend that you try the regular cabins in Curry Village because they are a lot warmer and have a bathroom with hot shower. Very rustic and plenty warm for about the same price. Also we usually bring a small hotplate and our own food and do minimal cooking in the bathroom as there isn't much in the way of food vendors open in the winter. Hope this helps.

7. TopTop #6
    massage maven

Quote Posted in reply to the post by davidn: View Post
    We have stayed in the valley several times in winter and have had great times. The tent cabins are great in teh summer. However I would recommend that you try the regular cabins in Curry Village because they are a lot warmer and have a bathroom with hot shower. Very rustic and plenty warm for about the same price. Also we usually bring a small hotplate and our own food and do minimal cooking in the bathroom as there isn't much in the way of food vendors open in the winter. Hope this helps.

I agree. The cabins served my son and I well for our holiday getaways when I was a struggling single mom. With a hot plate and a toaster oven you can make just about anything. I would always splurge for the Sunday brunch at the Ahwahnee. Also, great cross country skiing. Enjoy!

8. TopTop #7
    BancheroTreeService

I cleaned those cabins in the summer after I graduated from high school....good memories.

The heated cabins are pretty rustic, but they will keep you warm. A step up are the cabins with bathrooms, they have walls, insulation and you don't need to go outside to use the rest rooms. You can also check out the Yosemite Lodge, I think the prices are still reasonable if you haggle with them and avoid weekends.

I second Massage Mavon, The Ahwahnee hotel has a great Sunday brunch that doesn't break the bank...or just hang out in the lounge drinking hot coco.

9. TopTop #8
    Keith of all trades

Here is an opposite viewpoint.

We stayed in a Curry Village tent cabin several years ago. What a nightmare! You will see how it feels to live in a refugee camp. The tents are about 6 feet apart and you will hear everything going on and around the tents all night. The heater worked but only in the top half of the space. So the cots were cold and the upper half was roasting. I will never stay in one of these again. Yosemite valley is extremely beautiful, but be prepared for *lots and lots* of people. Do not expect a trip to the valley to be your get-away-from-it-all getaway.

Sorry to be a wet blanket on this one, but I thought this perspective should be out there.

Keith