Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Article: Patrick Slayter answers to WaccoBB Sebastopol City Council Questionnaire

Please tell us a little about your background and why you want to run for the Sebastopol City Council.

Sebastopol needs positive leadership that acknowledges the responsibility of respecting our past while planning well for the future. Council members are responsible for making decisions that are in the best long term interest of the entire community, not special interest groups or those who are most vocal. As a Council Member I will seek participation from all viewpoints within the community, strive to protect and enhance community facilities and services, support a strong business community, work to enhance our downtown and ensure that development is in harmony with the character of Sebastopol. I firmly believe it is time to embrace the attitude that government is "us", not some unresponsive "them".

When and why did you move to Sonoma County?

I moved to Sebastopol in 1997, buying a house downtown with my then-future wife.

How have you have been involved in the Sebastopol community?

Sebastopol Planning Commission, 2007 - present

Sebastopol Business Outreach Committee, 2009 - present
    Sebastopol Business Incubator, founding board member, 2009 - present
    Bike-Walk Sebastopol, founding member
    Sonoma County Humane Society, volunteer
    Rebuilding Together Sebastopol. volunteer
    Habitat for Humanity, volunteer
    Sonoma County Bicycle Coalition, member
    Business Owner, Patrick Slayter Architect

What experience and values do you bring to the table?

My education, training and experience as an Architect have given me a wide range of skills; from establishing successful interpersonal professional relationships to navigating regulatory statutes, from understanding complex land use issues to knowing the value of good advice. As a sitting Planning Commissioner and a member of Sebastopol’s Business Outreach Committee I have expanded my knowledge of local issues and learned a great deal about how local government operates.

As a small business owner I understand that running a successful business takes creativity, efficiency, a strong work ethic and an awareness to stay within your means. I know how to listen, analyze differing opinions and apply a common sense approach to the decision making process.

It is important for me to lead an environmentally sensitive life; to get around town I ride my bike or walk (with my dog), my office is at home (no commuting), gardening (both for food and delight), and in my professional life I help homeowners make ecologically appropriate decisions.

What important decisions of the Sebastopol City Council from the last 4 years, including the Northeast Plan, do you particularly agree or disagree with?

I agreed with the decision to stop work on the NEAP, but worry that this issue will continue to be used divisively.

I agreed with the council’s decision to not pass a moratorium on SmartMeters; this would have likely led to a legal dispute the city does not have the resources to take on.

I did not agree with the council’s decision to not put a taxation program in place should proposition 19 pass.

Would you vote to spend $20,000 for a study of the feasibility of eliminating one or more city parking lots?

No, this would be a waste of our city funds. Downtown businesses need to be supported and eliminating parking would be moving the wrong direction. If the city-owned lots should be redeveloped is a different question; if there is no net loss of parking for the downtown area (and any new use meets its own parking requirement) I would consider the redevelopment of a parking lot.

Would you support a free wi-fi system for Downtown Sebastopol at no cost to the city?

Yes.

How would you support our local economy?

I have been involved from the beginning with the creation of the Sebastopol Business Incubator which will foster and assist new businesses in our area. The incubator will provide training, mentorship and facilities for local entrepreneurs, leading to greater local economic vitality.

Green, sustainable technologies are an area of extreme growth and Sebastopol is perfectly positioned to take advantage of this expanding field. Mentoring and fostering new businesses in green technology will add jobs in the manufacturing, management and service segments, as well as assisting in the creation of a sustainable regional economy. It is vital to change the regional perception that Sebastopol is not business-friendly; providing a modern, sustainable business climate to attract green technology will attract pioneers in emerging businesses.

Sebastopol is an ideal vacation destination; the city offers lodging, restaurants, a thriving downtown with many unique and high quality local goods offered, and close proximity to many leisure and recreational activities. In partnership with the Sebastopol Chamber of Commerce and the Sonoma County Tourism Bureau the increased promotion of Sebastopol as a destination would bring clean industry and jobs, the potential of increased property values, and long-term economic vitality as visitors promote the city as a destination to their friends and families.

What do you see as the most pressing current problems in Sebastopol, and what would you do about them?

1. Daily Quality of Life Issues

Traffic, public safety, noise and the maintenance and improvement of public facilities and infrastructure are all extremely important on a daily basis to everyone who lives in Sebastopol. It is important for the City Council to focus on local issues that impact the greatest number of residents. If our streets are not well maintained, if a Police Officer is not available when one is needed or if it takes 15 minutes to drive through town one’s quality of life suffers. It is important to have an eye on issues beyond the city limits, but the focus of the City Council must be on local issues.

2. Economic Vitality

Increasing economic activity in the retail, service and manufacturing sectors is essential. Locally owned businesses of all types are a great strength of our community which provide local jobs, sales tax revenue, and a draw to visitors. An increase in economic activity brings the direct benefit of additional revenues in order to support our Police and Fire Departments, resurface city streets, provides funds to improve public parks, the aesthetics of our downtown and construct stand-alone pedestrian and bicycle paths.

3. Housing

There is a standing need for low to moderate income housing which can be addressed in a number of ways; the promotion of second dwelling units which are constructed with private funds by those who can best afford it, increased density in the urban core, actively seeking a partner in the construction of an assisted living facility and the continued promotion of self-help and cohousing opportunities.

What is your vision of Sebastopol in 2030? And what's the most pressing long term issue?

I would like to see Sebastopol in 2030 be much the same as it is today, with a high quality of life, responsive representation, a stable budget and a vital downtown. It would be great to have a significant reduction in traffic and greater opportunities for folks to easily get around safely and quickly on bikes and on foot.

What does "sustainability" mean to you?

Self-sufficiency, now and into the future.

What will you do to preserve, protect and enhance the environment?

Promote responsible building, continue as a bicycling and walking advocate and work towards local jobs so residents do not need to drive out of town for employment.

Do you feel you have any inadequacies as a potential Council member? How would you address them?

My greatest shortcoming is also my greatest strength: I am not an ideologue and I am not politically connected to any group.

Who has endorsed you?

Among many other local citizens and business owners the following:

Larry Robinson
    Kathleen Shaffer
    Katherine Austin
    Christine Culver
    North Coast Citizens for a Better Economy
    NorthBay Association of Realtors
    Sonoma County Alliance

Do you think it is appropriate for the city to take official stands on national issues, and if so, what stands would you like to see taken?

It is important to keep an eye on national issues but no, the office of City Council is a local position and the focus must be on local issues

Do you support CA Proposition 19 to legalize marijuana? And if it passes, what taxes or regulations would you want to see applied?

It would be my duty as an elected official to respect all state laws, including this one should it be approved by the voters of California. My individual stand on this issue is a private matter.
    Last edited by Barry; 10-22-2010 at 12:07 AM.

| Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email