Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Shepherd

Vote for Sebastopol Mayor Sarah Gurney for City Council

I appreciate walking around our small town and seeing so many colorful signs advocating various candidates for city council. It is great to have choices. Sebastopol residents certainly have a good record of voting and thus demonstrate our responsibility as citizens.

Many different things qualify a candidate for public office. I want to focus on the importance of maintaining some continuity, which can help provide institutional memory and stability. This is especially important in our time of growing uncertainly and instability. Of the six candidates running for three seats, only one offers that continuity — Sarah Gurney.

There are numerous other good reasons for voting for Sarah. She has represented Sebastopol well within its city limits and beyond. She has served not only as a council member but as mayor. The council and its decisions influence not only those living within the city but many others in the Sebastopol countryside and in West County.

Sarah has been a wonderful mayor and council member. She brings patience, and wisdom to her good work on our behalf.

Sarah is an excellent communicator and gets things done. She reaches out to people. Sarah has been a voice of reason and unity during her service to Sebastopol and has strengthened the connection between electeds and citizens.

I enjoy seeing Sarah and her teacher husband Dan — both of whom are very people-oriented — cycling around town and leading community walks.

Her experiences as a mother, attorney, and mediator also serve us well. Please keep Sarah in office by your support and vote so she can continue her good work.

I do not mean to suggest that other candidates would not make good city council members. For example, I think that Michael Kyes and Maureen Shea — both new to running for elected office — would be likely to be good council members.

We could benefit by leaving behind the disunity and lack of cooperation that has existed in certain years on the council.

Different points of view are helpful, but when this results in a lack of respect and civility and an unwillingness to work together for the common good, it is counter-productive.

I am glad that Guy Wilson and Kathleen Shaffer will be continuing as council members. They both clearly represent important constituencies in Sebastopol. May whichever three new council members the majority elect join with these two remaining dedicated servants to move Sebastopol forward into an unknown future.

Shepherd Bliss, Sebastopol
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by 4 members: