Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    wang

Mandatory Voting

I just heard from an Aussie friend of mine yesterday that voting in the land down under is mandatory otherwise you are fined, heavily.

After seeing the voter apathy prevalent in certain parts of our country - to be fair, I won't specify which parts-I'm beginning to think it's a good idea, though it flys in the face of the very principles of what this nation stands for, freedom and liberty. Voter turnout is so poor in some parts (less than 30%), one wonders if people even know what the elections are about.

I'm almost positive that if voting was mandatory we wouldn't see a lot of the problems we have today. Now I'm really opening this up to some strong opinions, but I think it's a subject worth discussing.

Another thing, if you don't vote-don't complain. And don't tell me that my vote doesn't matter, because I think it does, at least I hope it does.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Re: Mandatory Voting

I would support mandatory voting, but an easier place to start is to make it easier. So for instance it could be over a two day period, including a weekend day, or have a strictly mail in election, that already happens in some states.

I am very concerned about voter fraud. I know it the Democrats that have worked hard to remove all obstacles to voting, but I am aghast that I don't have to show any ID when voting. Given the Republicans predilection for dirty tricks, this doesn't seem wise.

3. TopTop #3
    wang

You can file your taxes online, why can't you vote that way too? I think the reason for the time restriction is because of campaigning and debating, etc. If we voted online, they could give us a several days to vote. I'm not sure if that would be opening up the net to more sabotage, but I think it makes sense. I'm not sure how it works in Australia, but I'm seeing my friend tonight and I'll ask.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Barry: View Post
    I would support mandatory voting, but an easier place to start is to make it easier. So for instance it could be over a two day period, including a weekend day, or have a strictly mail in election, that already happens in some states.

I am very concerned about voter fraud. I know it the Democrats that have worked hard to remove all obstacles to voting, but I am aghast that I don't have to show any ID when voting. Given the Republicans predilection for dirty tricks, this doesn't seem wise.

4. TopTop #4
    wang

Apparently in Australia they try to make it easy for people to vote. Elections are held on the weekends and absentee ballots are common. Also, I read the Wikipedia article on compulsary voting that said mobile voting units go out to retirement homes and hospitals so that senior citizens and the infirm are able to vote. There are also quite a number of other nations where voting is mandatory.

The arguments for compulsory voting include:

it prevents interference with access to the vote, in a similar way that the secret ballot is designed to prevent interference with the votes actually cast

Compelling voters to the polls for an election mitigates the impact that external factors may have on an individual's capacity to vote such as the weather, transport, or restrictive employers.

it will make people think about the tough issues more. This in turn might make governments less squeamish to bring up tough and possibly unpopular issues that need to be addressed

it makes it more difficult for special interest groups to vote themselves into power. Under a non-compulsory voting system, if fewer people vote then it is easier for smaller sectional interests and lobby groups to control the outcome of the political process.

Arguments against compulsory voting include:

voting is not a civic duty, but rather a civil right. While citizens may exercise their civil rights (free speech, marriage, etc.) they are not compelled to. Compulsory voting can be seen as infringing a basic freedom of the citizen. Some consider the fining of recalcitrant voters to be more oppressive still.

compulsory voting may infringe other rights. For example, most Jehovah's Witnesses believe that they should not participate in political events. Forcing them to vote explicitly denies them their freedom of religious practice.

A little history:

Athenian democracy held that it was every citizen's duty to participate in decision making. Attendance at the assembly was voluntary. But Aristophanes's comedy Acharnians 17-22, in the 5th century BC, shows public slaves herding citizens from the agora into the assembly meeting place (pnyx) with a red-stained rope. Those with red on their clothes were fined.