Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    hearthstone

The Universal Model of Sustainable Earth: The Seed Design.

The Universal Model of Sustainable Earth:
    The Seed Design.

(online: https://www.modelearth.org/seed.html )

We have to know what kind of world we want to live in. The challenge is to come up with a goal, an ideal model that would appeal to all, so that we stop fighting over our differences--a no longer supportable practice.

I think that as long as we can all agree that a sustainable life style is what we all want, there might just be such a model that would accommodate all of us on one planet:

Imagine an Earth where humans exist in communities situated amidst wild, by humans unregulated nature where all the other species that we share this planet with live untroubled by humans.

These communities could exist at what-so-ever complexity of sustainability, as long as they would be transparently and demonstrably sustainable, so that they would not adversely affect the existence of other human communities and other life on Earth.

Please--also see "The Ideal Sustainable Earth Model: Proposal" - www.modelearth.org/ideal.html ; (foot)note in "The Ideal Sustainable Earth Model: Proposal" suggests a way of "evolving" more complex sustainable designs from simple ones.

I have suspicion that this "universal" model is not an unknown idea, however I cannot remember where I saw it--it could well have been a sci-fi book;
    I would appreciate pointing out to me where else this idea might exist!

Thank you, Hearthstone.
    Last edited by hearthstone; 07-12-2010 at 01:11 PM. Reason: removing my email address
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    "Mad" Miles

Re: The Universal Model of Sustainable Earth: The Seed Design.

Hearthstone,

Are you familiar with Arcosanti and the designs and ideas of Paolo Soleri?

3. TopTop #3
    hearthstone

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Mad Miles: View Post
    Hearthstone,

Are you familiar with Arcosanti and the designs and ideas of Paolo Soleri?
    I am--what is your point?
    Thanks, Hearthstone.

4. TopTop #4
    "Mad" Miles

Quote Posted in reply to the post by hearthstone: View Post
    I am--what is your point?
    Thanks, Hearthstone.
    You asked, "I have suspicion that this "universal" model is not an unknown idea, however I cannot remember where I saw it--it could well have been a sci-fi book; I would appreciate pointing out to me where else this idea might exist!"

It is my understanding, based on the advocacy of my friend in Chicago, Bob Rudner, that the work of Paolo Soleri was/is such a universal model of an ecologically sustainable architecture, and plan for future communities.

So I linked information for him and his community in case you hadn't heard about it.

I leave it to you, and anyone else reading this, to evaluate the plausibility/validity of his ideas.

5. TopTop #5
    hearthstone

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Mad Miles: View Post
    ...It is my understanding, ...that the work of Paolo Soleri was/is such a universal model of an ecologically sustainable architecture, and plan for future communities. ...
    The "universal model of sustainable Earth" - ( www.modelearth.org/seed.html ) accommodates all and any types of sustainable living, providing that those are demonstrably, provably sustainable.

If Soleri's Arcosanti is demonstrably, provably sustainable, than it would fit in the model, along with any and all other sustainable life-styles.

It might be difficult in some cases to exhaustibly demonstrate sustainability, but I think that could be done in models, or by "evolving" a complex sustainable life-styles from a very simple, obviously sustainable one (e.g.--"hunter-gatherer", pastoralist, horticulturalist ...) step-by-step to the desired level of complexity, at each step making sure that the design remains truly sustainable.

Thanks, Hearthstone - www.ModelEarth.Org .
    Last edited by "Mad" Miles; 07-13-2010 at 01:10 PM. Reason: Reduce quoted text volume from previous post

6. TopTop #6
    Zeno Swijtink

Quote Posted in reply to the post by hearthstone: View Post

It might be difficult in some cases to exhaustibly demonstrate sustainability, but I think that could be done in models, or by "evolving" a complex sustainable life-styles from a very simple, obviously sustainable one (e.g.--"hunter-gatherer", pastoralist, horticulturalist ...) step-by-step to the desired level of complexity, at each step making sure that the design remains truly sustainable.
    I don't agree that you can look at individual life-styles and say that they are sustainable, or unsustainable. Sustainability is a matter of the whole system.

Just think about 6, 831,236,507 hunter-gatherers!!

7. TopTop #7
    hearthstone

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Zeno Swijtink: View Post
    I don't agree that you can look at individual life-styles and say that they are sustainable, or unsustainable. Sustainability is a matter of the whole system.

I think that the model would be viable *if*

1) it is understood that there would be a zero population growth

and

2) any lifestyle in the model would be *transparently*, demonstrably, provably sustainable.

Then the whole system would also be sustainable.

Thanks, Hearthstone.
    Last edited by hearthstone; 07-15-2010 at 03:49 AM. Reason: syntax

8. TopTop #8
    hearthstone

I am thinking that the basic number of humans in the model should be at a level (with a plenty of a safety margin) at which the system would support humans living the simplest possible sustainable life-style.
    Then, if people living at a higher level of complexity sustainable life-style would choose to live more simply, there never would be a danger of overpopulating the system (this, if living at a higher complexity level of sustainable life-style would also mean needing less area to produce needed food and other life necessities).

Thanks, Hearthstone.
    Last edited by hearthstone; 07-14-2010 at 02:13 AM. Reason: syntax

9. TopTop #9
    hearthstone

I updated the draft--it's online as

Universal Platform
    for
    Developing Sustainable Earth Vision Co-operatively.

https://www.modelearth.org/seed.html

From this it should be clearer that it would not be all the people at their present population level who'd have to start living as hunter-gatherers;

Although--if we do not do anything, who knows how many will be lucky to have this option.

This "universal platform" would model the entire system, and the logic might suggest that if all components of the system are sustainable, then the whole system would be sustainable also.

Thanks, Hearthstone.