Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Bill Roventini, RIP

I served on the Sebastopol Planning Commission during the time Bill was on the council.

It was very difficult to predict how he would come down on an issue, conservative/pro-growth one day and environmentally aware another day, often with a logic that was known only to him.

And it's true, he was always gracious and very dedicated.

While I often found myself on opposite sides of issues from Bill (though not always), I must say I'll miss him. He was quite the character.

Barry

Bill Roventini

https://www.pressdemocrat.com/articl...p=all&tc=pgall

By BRETT WILKISON
    THE PRESS DEMOCRAT

Published: Monday, June 28, 2010 at 6:27 p.m.
    Last Modified: Monday, June 28, 2010 at 6:27 p.m.

Bill Roventini, a former Sebastopol mayor and five-term city councilman who was known as an advocate for the business community and a defender of the city's drinking water supply, died Sunday in Santa Rosa of kidney failure. He was 70.

Roventini had suffered through a long series of health problems and had been undergoing kidney dialysis for two years, according to relatives.

Roventini was a barber and co-owner, with his mother Virginia, of the family's delicatessen on South Main Street in Sebastopol. He was first elected to city council in 1982 and served three years as mayor, in 1983, 1995 and 1999.

His first year in office, Roventini distinguished himself as a strong supporter of Sebastopol's then-proposed Redwood Marketplace. Some downtown business people were concerned the development would draw money away from the city's center. But Roventini thought the city as a whole would benefit, a stance that one former colleague said has proved accurate.

“Time has shown that it was very good for the tax base of this community,” said current Sebastopol city councilman Larry Robinson, whose first term overlapped with Roventini's last term.

As Sebastopol politics grew more liberal over the years, Roventini, a Republican, often was in the minority on city council decisions.

But even then, he was always a courteous, civil leader, colleagues said.

“He was a man of integrity,” said former Sebastopol city councilman Richard Johnson. “He approached issues in a balanced way. After a meeting, even if we had disagreed, we'd all be friends at the end of the night. In today's world that's getting harder to find.”

Roventini's chief role over two decades in public service was serving as watchdog of the city's underground drinking water supply.

In the mid-1990s, Roventini threatened to sue the city of Santa Rosa over its proposal to inject billions of gallons of treated waste water into underground aquifers. Santa Rosa later joined other area cities in pumping waste water to The Geysers.

Later, Roventini led the push on a city ban of the gasoline additive known as MTBE, which was shown to leak from underground tanks into groundwater. He also was a strong supporter of the city's Laguna de Santa Rosa Wetland Preserve.

“Bill was a fierce advocate for Sebastopol,” said city attorney Larry McLaughlin. “People could talk to him, and he would take up their cause. He was very passionate about his job.”

Born in San Francisco and raised in Santa Rosa and Sebastopol, Roventini graduated from Analy High School, where he was a catcher on the baseball team, a drum major and a student body president.

He married Joanne Kawa in 1962 and had two daughters. The couple divorced in 1995. Barbara Garzoli, of Sebastopol, was Roventini's long-time companion.

An avid golfer and private pilot, Roventini also was an accomplished accordion player. He was known to give impromptu performances in the back of his barbershop on South Main Street. He also performed at the Cotati Accordion Festival in the early 1990s.

Jennifer Jensen, one of Roventini's daughters, said her father drew great joy from his public service, and especially from speaking at events honoring veterans and others who had served Sebastopol over the years.

“He was very proud of this town,” she said. “He truly enjoyed making an impact in someone's life.”

In addition to daughter Jennifer and companion Barbara Garzoli, Roventini is survived by his mother Virginia Roventini, daughter Janelle Hunter and seven grandchildren.

A public memorial service is being planned.
    Last edited by Barry; 06-28-2010 at 10:29 PM.

| Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by:

3. TopTop #2
    Kathleen Shaffer

Bill Roventini

I met Bill at his barber shop when I was campaigning for City Council in '08. I was there to talk politics, but also to invite him to sing at a Senior Center event. He surprized me by turning on music, picking up a mic and singing some 50's hits. Great voice, and he did perform at the Senior Center twice and put on a great show for all. We kept in touch, had some coffee, and became email pals. He was funny, thoughtful and helpful. I am very sorry he lost his fight, and he will be missed.

Kathleen Shaffer
    City Council

4. TopTop #3
    Shazam

Re: Bill Roventini

I remember Bill Roventini from back at least 30 years ago. I used to work in town and occasionally dropped by the deli that he and his mother ran next to the barber shop. I was so struck by his larger-than-life presence, his graciousness, and his very positive attitude. I wish I had known he sang---that would have completed the picture! A very nice man.

Shazam

===============

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Kathleen Shaffer: View Post
    I met Bill at his barber shop when I was campaigning for City Council in '08. I was there to talk politics, but also to invite him to sing at a Senior Center event. He surprized me by turning on music, picking up a mic and singing some 50's hits. Great voice, and he did perform at the Senior Center twice and put on a great show for all. We kept in touch, had some coffee, and became email pals. He was funny, thoughtful and helpful. I am very sorry he lost his fight, and he will be missed.

Kathleen Shaffer
    City Council

5. Gratitude expressed by: