Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Dark Shadows

Cultural Insensitivity

I invited a man who used to be my friend to come over for dinner on Easter Sunday, which is a sacred holiday for my grandfather's tribe, the Pascua Yacqui (my grandma was Kickapoo, so I am only 1/4 Yacqui and 1/4 Kickapoo Indian) - I am 1/2 Indian or a half breed as Cher would have said. My father was European.

The man who was my friend reached up on top of the hutch in my dining room and grabbed at a willow and obsiddian arrow that I had sitting up there. The arrow was blessed by a shamen of the El Paso/Eagle Peak Kickapoo tribe. The arrow fell to the floor (which was dirty) and the obsiddian arrow head broke away from the shaft. I have yet been able to repair it because it was made by a man in Nevada who I cannot find, though I have searched everywhere for him (411 Information, Itelius, the Internet, etc.). I suspect he is not computer literate as a flintsman would have little need to communicate via email and the Internet. I am very upset because I don't want to repair the arrow myself using man-made materials like Super Glue which may ruin the arrow's ability to glide in a straight line when shot from a bow.

This man I believe is oafish and does not understand that this is not the way to treat an artifact that is obviously sacred to me and my tribe. I am upset beyond words and want to express to him the error of his ways. Is there anyone out there that agrees the man owes me an apology? I told him that he is not allowed to touch my arrows or my bows, nor any of my artifacts, especially cultural ones again because they have been blessed and no one but me and other people from our tribe and religion should touch them. What else can I say or do? He has since been in my house, only once and I told him then that he broke my arrow and I didn't want him touching any of my things. He laughed at me. I can't help feeling angry.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    LenInSebastopol

Re: Cultural Insensitivity

Such oafs roam the land doing all manners of ills and not know it. Consider him told that he has broken not only an object of great worth but something he cannot touch. Return to the place that it was blessed to see if there is one with whom you may discuss the matter and take the arrow with you. Dismiss the oaf, sweat the whole thing out after your consult other Human Beings and be done with it.
    By the way, what you call 'half-breed' many others call 'high bred'. Took me years to shake that straight and lose; pray you need not suffer that any longer.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Dark Shadows: View Post
    I invited a man who used to be my friend to come over for dinner on Easter Sunday, which is a sacred holiday for my grandfather's tribe, the Pascua Yacqui (my grandma was Kickapoo, so I am only 1/4 Yacqui and 1/4 Kickapoo Indian) - I am 1/2 Indian or a half breed as Cher would have said. My father was European.

The man who was my friend reached up on top of the hutch in my dining room and grabbed at a willow and obsiddian arrow that I had sitting up there. The arrow was blessed by a shamen of the El Paso/Eagle Peak Kickapoo tribe. The arrow fell to the floor (which was dirty) and the obsiddian arrow head broke away from the shaft. I have yet been able to repair it because it was made by a man in Nevada who I cannot find, though I have searched everywhere for him (411 Information, Itelius, the Internet, etc.). I suspect he is not computer literate as a flintsman would have little need to communicate via email and the Internet. I am very upset because I don't want to repair the arrow myself using man-made materials like Super Glue which may ruin the arrow's ability to glide in a straight line when shot from a bow.

This man I believe is oafish and does not understand that this is not the way to treat an artifact that is obviously sacred to me and my tribe. I am upset beyond words and want to express to him the error of his ways. Is there anyone out there that agrees the man owes me an apology? I told him that he is not allowed to touch my arrows or my bows, nor any of my artifacts, especially cultural ones again because they have been blessed and no one but me and other people from our tribe and religion should touch them. What else can I say or do? He has since been in my house, only once and I told him then that he broke my arrow and I didn't want him touching any of my things. He laughed at me. I can't help feeling angry.
    Last edited by Barry; 05-01-2010 at 06:45 PM.

3. TopTop #3
    ChristineL

If he does not understand, does not apologize and would laugh about violating your sacred traditions he does not deserve your friendship and should never be invited into your house again.

For myself, I don't mind people not sharing my belief system, but I require they respect it as I always respect theirs.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Dark Shadows: View Post

4. TopTop #4
    zkoolman

Having traveled all over the world and lived amoung many different cultures, I understand, as much as an outsider can, your feelings.
    One of the problems here is that USA is a young country and as such, does not have a cultural history of sufficient length to have it's own deep rooted and multi-generational spirituality. And since to date it has been more a war culture then anything, I doubt that it will develop such any time soon. That coupled with the prevailing instant self gratification make for a recipe for complete disregard for the spirituality and respect for anything outside of one's own little world.
    If you truely hold/held him as a friend, I would take the time to sit him down and attempt to have a talk with him and explain what is going on with you and how his actions have so deeply affected you. Otherwise, do not have him back to your home again.......

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Christine: View Post
    If he does not understand, does not apologize and would laugh about violating your sacred traditions he does not deserve your friendship and should never be invited into your house again.

For myself, I don't mind people not sharing my belief system, but I require they respect it as I always respect theirs.

5. TopTop #5
    LenInSebastopol

I thought of you again. He laughed due to fear. He could not hold what he had done and had to release it. You too need to release it but in a real manner and not one of an oafish fool. When next he comes to the door, simply open it, tell the truth and close the door. But you really need to find The People to sweat it out or at least work out what needs to be done. THIS is not the place.

6. TopTop #6
    Nancylynna

If these items are so deeply spiritual to you, wouldn't it be wise to keep them in a more protected location? Out of harms way? Safe from oafs, disrespectful "friends", and genuine human err?

7. TopTop #7
    LenInSebastopol

Interesting notion, if something is special do you wish to hide it or allow all to bask in its radiance and appreciated. I guess he didn't know he had such a "friend" who didn't give a darn about things; maybe the fellow has nothing he holds in a special way, or maybe it's a car and if anyone smashes it......I think I will go lay down.