Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Serendipity

Is Safeway Evil and Are you from Berkeley?

I read the miscellaneous posts sometimes but not a lot. For some reason I read the one about the parent who was buying groceries at Safeway and how her child was going to help w/ the purchase by lending a nickle so the parent didn't have to break a twenty. It was so basic. (The subject is one of ethics if you ask me!) The problem was that the parent was purchasing beer and the child was under 21 (and there's the whole contributing to a delinquency of a minor subject matter). So, there's the conversation on wacco and then there are the responses. And alas, Safeway is officially an evil corporation because of the cashier who would not accept the nickle.

It's kind of funny. As I read some of the perspectives I had to laugh and wonder, "How many of these people are from Berkeley?!!!" (No offense- I am.) I know my parents have given me a fair share of unnecessary paranoia and wow! Yes, Safeway is evil (but is it?)- but really not because a cashier wouldn't take the nickle! I think I could actually hear ranting in some of the threads. Ranting? About what? (I didn't get it.)

I just wanted to write about the funny reception of people; how we can all get involved in a strange conversation and use up so much energy on what?

If you've read this far, there is only one thing I have left to say (completely off subject): next time you want to donate clothes to the thrift store, just remember there are all kinds of women's shelters and homeless shelters and when you're down low like that, even the thrift store is expensive. Who really cares about transactions at Safeway anyway?
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    Tars

Re: Is Safeway Evil and Are you from Berkeley?

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Serendipity: View Post
    I just wanted to write about the funny reception of people; how we can all get involved in a strange conversation and use up so much energy on what?
    Welcome to WaccoBBLand!

3. TopTop #3
    Cheingrand

I worked my way through Cal as a Safeway checker in Berkeley. I didn't know Safeway was so evil until I moved to Sebastopol and became educated to the West Sonoma County view of the world.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Serendipity: View Post
    It's kind of funny. As I read some of the perspectives I had to laugh and wonder, "How many of these people are from Berkeley?!!!" (No offense- I am.) I know my parents have given me a fair share of unnecessary paranoia and wow! Yes, Safeway is evil (but is it?)- but really not because a cashier wouldn't take the nickle! I think I could actually hear ranting in some of the threads. Ranting? About what? (I didn't get it.)

4. TopTop #4
    hales

I got the idea that Safeway was evil a long time ago, perhaps it had to do with farm-workers strikes.. ? Also, it's very depressing to go in most stores and see aisles and aisles of highly processed food, full of saturated fats, refined flour, sugar, and lots of weird chemicals. Of course the positive side is the production of plentiful, "stable" food supplies for the growing masses.. but so much of it is profit-driven and not really fit to live on, while the really good, locally grown, healthy stuff is hardly supported or properly appreciated by many.. or it is just too darn expensive. Never mind that processed food has multiple un-accounted for costs: the huge carbon-footprint need to transport foods from cheaper source-countries, the cost to the environment of "cheap" beef, (growing the feed, cutting down rain forests, transporting it, the huge amounts of methane produced by cows, the inefficiency of vegetable vs. meat protein production..etc., etc.. ), likewise with other forms of mega-agribusiness.. pesticides, chemical fertilizers, transportation, pollution of waterways, all contribute to the degradation of the environment and the creation of an highly abundant, yet, questionably safe food supply.

So now we have rampant obesity, ADD is almost "normal" among children, along with over-prescription of OTC drugs for it and depression, etc.. meanwhile, many of my middle aged peers are having thyroid failure, diabetes, heart-problems, cancer, etc.. When are we going to get down to the very basics and building blocks of life? .. live, enzyme and nutrient-rich foods, cutting out all the poisonous cr*p that has become standard in our homes and schools.. less hormones, preservatives, adulterants, hidden chemicals and "taste enhancers" such as MSG, in all it's hidden forms, refined sweeteners and artificial sweeteners, etc.

Now I am much more cynical; I am pretty sure it's hard for anyone not to be at least a little evil, including me! I think of this when I am filling up my car with gas, for instance. I doubt that Safeway is much more evil than any other large retail corporation that got successful providing some needed service to the masses. (food production and distribution, etc., transportation, housing, medication, whatever.. )

Perhaps the best thing to do is to not waste time and energy being angry, but to allocate as much positive energy to what one loves and as little as possible to those things that one really values and appreciates.. and to find better alternatives to the things that don't work for us..

(Although, yes, of course, we need to express ourselves and we need to try to improve things, for ourselves, family, friends and other people of the world.. not too mention trying to protect this abundant, fertile, yet fragile little planet we are occupying! )

My favorite things to do or support lately are: dance, live music, farmer's markets and local organic farmers, yoga, creating or participating in small fun events with friends, working out at the gym, hiking in nature with a friend or loved one, FREE conversations with REAL FRIENDS over coffee or tea, etc.. ; ) I spend less money on stuff than I used to, and less time grousing and ranting.. (yes, I know, this is a bit of a rant.. I probl'y had too much coffee, this morning! )

Who really has time for hatin'? : )

Love and blessings to all of those who are simply spreading joy and good works among us.. : ) and to those who of us haven't learned how to to that yet... ; ) <3

5. TopTop #5
    "Mad" Miles

Serendipity,

This is a silly discussion thread. If you read the full thread about Safeway, you would know that the "Evil" in question is their scanning of Drivers Licenses, ostensibly to meet some requirement from the ABC but probably also for marketing research purposes, since no other food retailers do the scanning. The nickel from a minor was a late add on, not the main justification for slamming Safeway Corporate.

But a nice summary of why Safeway sucks Hales!

As for the five cent contretemp, I can only wonder that the cashier had been so terrified by the possibility of undercover teenage "volunteers" looking for liquor sale violations for the ABC, that they either properly interpreted the rules, or overinterpreted them to try and save their own ass. Something in this job market, as others have pointed out, that is a paramount concern.

As for Sebastopol being more sensitized to PC issues than Berkeley?

I'm no fan of the Sebasto Woo Woo Vortex, as anyone who reads this board even remotely as closely as I do can attest.

But more reactive than Berkeley?

Girlfriend, Please!!!!???

On to the Rialto debacle, more news has hit public notice.

"Mad" Miles

Last edited by "Mad" Miles; 03-23-2010 at 03:35 PM.

6. TopTop #6
    Valley Oak

(I have edited this post)

Relax. If I were you, I would trust Berkeley wisdom over Sebastopol's any day.

Perhaps the best example as to why is when Sebastopolites foolishly elected the reactionary Sam Crump because he promised smaller government. Any knowledgeable progressive understands that higher taxes, bigger government, and more regulations are very good things. Indeed, they are absolutely necessary, especially in light of cliffhanger events in the US economy in recent years and our new, huge health care legislation.

This essential wisdom has been a part of Berkeley consciousness for many decades. This is a basic truth that escapes the average bourgeois Sebastopolite, who likes to sport a chai latte in one hand and don a green umbrella with a sunflower in the other, while his or her head is in the clouds.

And I agree with Miles and others that this is a silly thread, but I couldn't resist taking a poke at the delusional ego of the "progressive" Sebastopol community.

Edward

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Cheingrand: View Post
    I worked my way through Cal as a Safeway checker in Berkeley. I didn't know Safeway was so evil until I moved to Sebastopol and became educated to the West Sonoma County view of the world.
    Last edited by Valley Oak; 03-23-2010 at 04:03 PM.

7. TopTop #7

Pardon me, but I just need to say
    it's nickel

8. TopTop #8
    LenInSebastopol

Quote Posted in reply to the post by leela8: View Post
    Pardon me, but I just need to say
    it's nickel
    Some might think it's a principle? Or a law? Or just following orders? It sounds like a 'stupid clerk' thing, and that may well be too, but I doubt it.