Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    helenscott08

Local Recycling Groups

I am trying to encourage my neighbors to recycle. It would be really helpful to me if I can get a list of all recycling groups in Sonoma County. Hopefully, they will be current recycling groups. Some seem to have disappeared.

Please also show if possible, a separate list of active groups where you can also post about recycling, giving or wanting.

Thanks.

hs:)
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    Portia
    Supporting Member

Re: Local Recycling Groups

Glad you asked. One of my favorite subjects...

Did you know that the award winning Sonoma County Recycling Guide is in the middle of the yellow pages under "Re" and on the web at https://www.recyclenow.org/? Be sure to check out Sonomax - our very own materials exchange that has be in operation since 1993 or 1994.

Garbage Reincarnation (GRI) is still in existence and continues to operate Recycle Town at Central Landfill and possibly a few of the transfer stations. www.garbage.org.

I believe GRI still holds the annual Scrapture Art Show each summer. If you have never attended I encourage you to do so; fantastic art made out of reuseables. Very inspiring. I will post the info to this list when I find out.

Bay Area Creative Reuse in Santa Rosa has been in a hiatus due to the ED being ill but I expect it will evolve and reopen.

Habitat for Humanity in Santa Rosa is in the process of opening a ReStore; visit their web site for more info: www.sonomacountyhabitat.org.

Zero Waste Sonoma County, a Car-Lite and Community Bikes sibling, is working with the Sonoma County Local Task Force on Solid Waste and Bay Area Zero Waste Communities. Visit the LITE Initiatives website for more info. www.car-lite.org

Feel free to ask me any questions about waste reduction and recycling in Sonoma County. I am also available to strategize with anyone who wants to motivate their family, friends and/or neighbors.

I am not tracking the recycling web sites but I imagine others can tell us about the successors to Freecycle Sonoma County.

Portia, the Green Mentor
    Executive Director of Car-Lite, Community Bikes, Green Mentor and Zero Waste Sonoma County
    and
    Vice Chair of the Sonoma County Local Task Force on Solid Waste.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by sassydog:
    I am trying to encourage my neighbors to recycle. It would be really helpful to me if I can get a list of all recycling groups in Sonoma County. Hopefully, they will be current recycling groups. Some seem to have disappeared.

Please also show if possible, a separate list of active groups where you can also post about recycling, giving or wanting.

Thanks.

3. TopTop #3
    saysni

Maybe you could go around and ask if people have useful things they are throwing away and then call Salvation Army, Hospice Thrift, Mission Thrift, or Goodwill and one of them might send a truck out to pick the things up. If you know the time they are coming to pick up you can tell your neighbors when to set the things outside for pickup. As an alternative i'll come by and get them and take them to the flea market and recycle them that way. What doesn't sell i'll drop off at Recycletown at the dump on Meacham Rd. or drop off at Hospice Thrift, my preference of "recyclers", local and worthy.
    Hope that helps.
    -Stuart

Thanks.

4. TopTop #4
    inanadancing

www.sonomax.com or maybe .org is a fantastic resource as well. Local folks, mostly businesses, post extra materials here. They are often looking to get rid of extra wood, packing materials, used business furniture etc, and frequently free of charge. Some will even deliver it for you. This is a great place to post your extras and look at others extras! I got some great free wood to build planter boxes with.

Thanks.

Last edited by inanadancing; 03-26-2006 at 01:41 PM. Reason: misspelled word

5. TopTop #5
    Fredd

Helen,

Thanks for your interest in getting your friends and neighbors to recycle!
    The main local Recycle board can be found at

https://groups.yahoo.com/group/Recycle-SonomaCounty/

It is a local Sonoma County group that is both active and couteous. We look forward to you and others joining us.

The other suggestions here are valid as well.

Thanks for spreading the good word.

Fredd
    Last edited by Barry; 03-27-2006 at 12:07 AM.