Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    alice faye

looking for volunteer work outdoors

My name is Alice. I moved to Sebastopol from Montana just 3 months ago and I am looking for volunteer work. I have always worked with the land and I feel deprived when I am not!! This is a necessity for me! I want to help environmental studies/groups. I am looking to get my hands dirty and learn more about this planet. Since I know very little about the sea I am extremely curious. Even if it is beach clean up once a week or shoveling--- i don't know :) Anyone schooled in nature here need someone to do grunt work? Open to suggestions. Fairly strong for a girl. 50lbs okay infrequently. I'm motivated, curious, and passionate about doing my part to help this planet.

e-mail me-
    [email protected]
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    erinsheff

Re: looking for volunteer work outdoors

Alice:

Do I have the opportunities for you!

Luther Burbank Experiment Farm in Sebastopol. Luther (1849-1927) was the most famous gardener on the planet. Through breeding and crossbreeding ordinary plants from farm and garden until they were tastier and more productive than ever before, he is credited with the introduction of more than 800 new varieties. Our humble Idaho potato was his discovery, and the Santa Rosa Plum and Shasta Daisy his creations. Volunteers are needed to keep the Farm in shape - all kinds of jobs are available if you show you how you can get your hands dirty on Wednesdays, 9 AM to noon. The fruit trees are in bloom now! The Farm is above Burbank Heights housing on Bodega Ave. just west of central Sebastopol. Follow the signs up the hill. You can take a self-guided tour with a map you'll find in the mailbox. Google Gold Ridge Luther Burbank's Experiment Farm .

To satisfy your desire to help the planet through environmental studies/groups, the Laguna de Santa Rosa Foundation is a gold mine, and right in your back yard. Google Laguna de Santa Rosa
    Click on Education if you'd like to transmit your love of nature to kids, and call Christine right away to see if it's not too late to join the training to become a Docent. You'll also find many opportunities to work in the field doing restoration of a precious and beautiful natural area.
    Feel free to email me back with your phone number if you'd like to chat.
    Welcome aboard!
    Erin

Quote Posted in reply to the post by alice faye: View Post
    My name is Alice. I moved to Sebastopol from Montana just 3 months ago and I am looking for volunteer work. I have always worked with the land and I feel deprived when I am not!! This is a necessity for me! I want to help environmental studies/groups. I am looking to get my hands dirty and learn more about this planet. Since I know very little about the sea I am extremely curious. Even if it is beach clean up once a week or shoveling--- i don't know :) Anyone schooled in nature here need someone to do grunt work? Open to suggestions. Fairly strong for a girl. 50lbs okay infrequently. I'm motivated, curious, and passionate about doing my part to help this planet.

e-mail me-
    [email protected]

3. TopTop #3
    abg73

Re: looking for volunteer work outdoors

Hi Alice,
    I am an AmeriCorps member working at Guerneville Elementary School. We just were awarded a small grant to re vamp our small library garden space and I am looking for community help. Our project will involve our after school students in weeding, building new planter boxes, painting and repairing fences, and planting flowers and other plants. It is a small project, maybe smaller than you are looking for, but it is an important one to fostering a sense of community and pride in our school. If you would like to be involved, we would love to have your help!

Contact me:
    Annabele Grace
    Americorps California Promise Fellow
    Volunteer Program Coordinator
    Guerneville After School Program
    14630 Armstrong Woods Rd.
    Guerneville, CA 95446

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has." - Margaret Mead