Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    rachanna

seeking suggestions for strong, non-toxic, flea treatment for a dog

my dog, Buster, has been suffering with SEVERE skin itchies for a VERY long time. we know he has a serious flea allergy, but assumed the problem was caused by something else, since he is on Advantage. a few weeks ago, we switched him to a top quality raw meat and bones diet supplied by a local company, and are hoping the transition will benefit him. a few days ago, during another night of all night scratching, I found a few fleas on him. even though he was only 3 1/2 weeks into his last Advantage treatment, iI gave him another hit of the stuff. he is not any better, and i recently heard for the first time, that some people have found local fleas resistant to Advantage. this seems likely, given the fleas I found on Buster. he appears to be allergic to the other harsh flea treatment, Frontline.

I am now TOTALLY through with using poison on my dog. I was against it from the beginning, but relented because he suffered so much with even a single flea bite. so now, I feel I must seek a really strong, powerful, natural flea treatment that local fleas are not resistant to. I welcome any suggestions, recommendations, empathy or encouragement. Thanks Waccos.

julie
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    hvnagdx

Re: seeking suggestions for strong, non-toxic, flea treatment for a dog

Unfortunately for any topical flea treatment (Advantage/Frontline/etc.) to work the flea must first bite Buster, which perpetuates his problem. IMHO, you need to take care of the flea problem in your home so that Buster has less fleas available to bite him. If you don't get rid of fleas at the source no topical flea treatment will ever stand a chance of working.

You must do your entire premises inside and out and in relatively short order. If you take days to do it the fleas will re-infest your home and yard. It may take several treatments to accomplish.

I haven't had a flea infestation for years and years. A long time ago, the most effective interior flea treatment I used was one made by Raid called the Fumigator. It was not a canned "flea bomb" but one that you dropped in water and it produced a vapor. We have successfully used the Raid Fumigator on a black widow infestation in our crawl space under our house. Outside will also need to be treated. I'd check with a local nursery and see what they have available.

Good luck, it is a lot of work but can be done.

3. TopTop #3

I use Cedarcide Cedarcide integrated pest management systems natural pest control products on all my cats and the horses too. It is a concentrated oil of cedar that is emulsified. It really does the trick. So much toxic stuff is put into fly spray for horses and flea treatments for cats and dogs. Imagine spraying yourself with pesticides!
    For the cats that hate spray - I soak their collars in it and dip the brush in the solution too.

Kate Sullivan
    SAFER
    Sonoma Action For Equine Rescue
    SAFER Horse
    707-824-9543

Quote Posted in reply to the post by julie: View Post
    my dog, Buster, has been suffering with SEVERE skin itchies for a VERY long time. we know he has a serious flea allergy, but assumed the problem was caused by something else, since he is on Advantage. a few weeks ago, we switched him to a top quality raw meat and bones diet supplied by a local company, and are hoping the transition will benefit him. a few days ago, during another night of all night scratching, I found a few fleas on him. even though he was only 3 1/2 weeks into his last Advantage treatment, iI gave him another hit of the stuff. he is not any better, and i recently heard for the first time, that some people have found local fleas resistant to Advantage. this seems likely, given the fleas I found on Buster. he appears to be allergic to the other harsh flea treatment, Frontline.

I am now TOTALLY through with using poison on my dog. I was against it from the beginning, but relented because he suffered so much with even a single flea bite. so now, I feel I must seek a really strong, powerful, natural flea treatment that local fleas are not resistant to. I welcome any suggestions, recommendations, empathy or encouragement. Thanks Waccos.

julie

4. TopTop #4
    santoshimatajaya
    Supporting Member

My experience with fleas on my cat was to follow instructions from a past large animal veterinarian who has been practicing and teaching macrobiotics for thirty years. It worked for us. His presmise is that if an animal has fleas, it is out of balance, if brought into balance fleas will not be attracted to the animal. This is achieved by putting the animal on a diet of vegetables, greens, grain and a little seaweed. Also giving a sliver of umeboshi plum once a day for ten days. raw meat is also mixed in with the food, but only a small amount. for more info, contact Yamah at 824-8797.

5. TopTop #5
    jitterbug

We used to have a dog that was very sensitive to all sorts of chemicals. What worked for him when he had fleas was dousing him with Avon's product, Skin So Soft. Then, we'd comb it through his very short hair with a narrow comb. It worked. At first it's a nice fresh scent, but I remember getting really sick of the smell.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by julie: View Post

julie