Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Heidi H.

fishing advice for newbie?

ive been fishing a number of times w/ no luck so far. whats goin on? ive been using squid cut in half w/ pyramid weights on the surf or off of rocks usually late afternoon to dusk, both high and low tide. are there any fish out there? ive been all over the bodega area.
    thanks!!
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    Sonomamark

Re: fishing advice for newbie?

This is an announcement board, and you know it, Dian. Please save your polemics for a discussion area.

Mark
    Quote Posted in reply to the post by tacitus:
    yadda yadda yadda

Also hear that the mouth of a fish is filled with exquisite nerve endings. Consider going vegan for the health of the planet and your own self. If that's way too radical, how about some restoration work with local groups?

Best,
    Dian
    Last edited by Barry; 03-19-2006 at 12:59 PM.

3. TopTop #3
    taiwanbl

After living in Taiwan for 6 years I also came to realize the importance of the vanishing fish. Most of the fish are farmed on that island. Our local I Kuan Tao group routinely bought and returned live fish to the rivers as well as releasing flocks of birds from the roof of our temple. My Taiwanese wife mourned the loss of fish in the rivers when only 30 years earlier she remembered as a child scooping them up from streams around her village.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by tacitus:
    Fishing stocks globally are vanishing. Up in Canada, they're blaming the seals for the failure of the cod fishery and killing them by the hundreds of thousands.

Our local salmon fleet's not going out, only recreational anglers. I remember when salmon way up north weren't coming back. Everyone was exercised over it. The native Americans said to stop fishing for a number of years and let the fish come back naturally. Possibly that's what's going on.

Also hear that the mouth of a fish is filled with exquisite nerve endings. Consider going vegan for the health of the planet and your own self. If that's way too radical, how about some restoration work with local groups?

Best,
    Dian
    Last edited by Barry; 03-19-2006 at 12:57 PM.

4. TopTop #4
    Karen

Perhaps you have confused this site with WaccoYahoo, Mark. Here we enjoy Free Speech. Barry will move this to Talk when he thinks it's appropriate. No worries.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Sonomamark:
    This is an announcement board, and you know it, Dian. Please save your polemics for a discussion area.

Mark

5. TopTop #5
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Hi Mark, Dian, Karen, et al (and everybody),

This is not an announcement only board. Public replies and comments are welcome to any post. What I do ask, though, is that you be respectful of each other, even if you disagree, and that you use your discretion as to whether a response should be public or private. (See the Posting Guidelines)

If a post (such as one requesting information) receives a number of public replies that are on-topic, I will probably leave it in its original category. But if evolves into a discussion, as this thread may, I will move it to WaccoTalk where its free to continue, possibly leaving a copy on General Community available for further on-topic replies. Once a thread is in WaccoTalk, it will be subject to each user's subscription to WaccoTalk.

You are also able to unsubscribe from an individual thread, while leaving your subscription to the category in place. See this help topic for more info.

I am still finding my way with how and when to do this, and different situations may call for different handling. I welcome your feedback/advice about how this site is moderated either privately or in the Moderation Discussion category (a subcategory of the Feedback category).

Barry
    Last edited by Barry; 03-20-2006 at 08:21 AM.

6. TopTop #6
    watermarko

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Heidi H.:
    ive been fishing a number of times w/ no luck so far. whats goin on? ive been using squid cut in half w/ pyramid weights on the surf or off of rocks usually late afternoon to dusk, both high and low tide. are there any fish out there? ive been all over the bodega area.
    thanks!!
    short answer: "california pier fishing" second edition.

7. TopTop #7
    mykil
    A Really Cute Guy

I'll take you fishing Heidi!!!!

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Heidi H.:
    thanks!!