Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    justme

On a different note...Frank Zappa 25 years ago

This is a two part interview with Frank Zappa on Larry King from 1985..... No matter how you view his music, he is a very intelligent, outspoken, upfront and genuine person in what he feels...

Here is the link form YouTube to Part One

and the link from Part Two

He brings to mind some points that, after 25 years, are still highly relevant.....

Enjoy!!!!
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    Tars

Re: On a different note...Frank Zappa 25 years ago

I came across an album by him, in of all places, Brigham City, Utah, in about '65 or '66. "Freak Out" - It was in the bargain bin at the drugstore, 'cause it was too weird-looking or something. I listened once and was hooked...or freaked, you might say. His electric guitar mastery was truly awesome...In a time of fantastically good guitarists.

Last edited by Tars; 12-06-2009 at 09:01 PM.

3. TopTop #3
    justme

That was the first of his albums I ever bought... Wow and in Utah then...My favorite was Joe's Garage although they all were excellent but different from one another...

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Tars: View Post
    I came across an album by him, in of all places, Brigham City, Utah, in about '65 or '66. "Freak Out" - It was in the bargain bin at the drugstore, 'cause it was too weird-looking or something. I listened once and was hooked...or freaked, you might say. His electric guitar mastery was truly awesome...In a time of fantastically good guitarists.

4. TopTop #4

I bought 'we're only in it for the money' when I was in high school and could only play it when my parents were not at home... they couldn't stand it! I LOVED it : ))
    Thanks for the links!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gLD...eature=related
    Last edited by tomcat; 12-07-2009 at 02:04 PM. Reason: addition

5. TopTop #5
    jbox

Remember Billy the Mountain with the superhero Studebaker Hawk off "Just Another Band from LA"? Unbelievable live performance with Flo and Eddie for 26 minutes. How does Zappa and company do it? Ranks right up there with Tommy and Sgt Pepper, at least for Zappafreaks..........

6. TopTop #6
    podfish

Dweezil's doing a fabulous job of keeping the music alive. I've seen ZPZ (ZappaPlaysZappa) several times, and he's covered songs from the full range of Frank's career, especially the musically challenging ones. He's well worth seeing when he comes around - and he's touring pretty much constantly.
    Also, ProjectObject, a band from New York, is supposed to come back to this coast next spring or summer, with some members of Frank's bands. A few years ago they played in Santa Rosa with Napolean Murphy Brock and Ray White. They did a good job too.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by jbox: View Post
    Remember Billy the Mountain with the superhero Studebaker Hawk off "Just Another Band from LA"? Unbelievable live performance with Flo and Eddie for 26 minutes. How does Zappa and company do it? Ranks right up there with Tommy and Sgt Pepper, at least for Zappafreaks..........

7. TopTop #7
    justme

Great link! Thanks for sharing it.... I don't agree that Ron Paul is the ONLY choice, but he does have some good points to be considered. I would love to have been able to hear Frank Zappa and Noam Chomsky having a discussion!!!

Thanks again!

Quote Posted in reply to the post by tomcat: View Post
    I bought 'we're only in it for the money' when I was in high school and could only play it when my parents were not at home... they couldn't stand it! I LOVED it : ))
    Thanks for the links!

YouTube - Ron Paul and Frank Zappa on the Danger of American Fascism

8. TopTop #8
    justme

Thanks for the info!!!! I'll check them out!!!

Quote Posted in reply to the post by podfish: View Post
    Dweezil's doing a fabulous job of keeping the music alive. I've seen ZPZ (ZappaPlaysZappa) several times, and he's covered songs from the full range of Frank's career, especially the musically challenging ones. He's well worth seeing when he comes around - and he's touring pretty much constantly.
    Also, ProjectObject, a band from New York, is supposed to come back to this coast next spring or summer, with some members of Frank's bands. A few years ago they played in Santa Rosa with Napolean Murphy Brock and Ray White. They did a good job too.

9. TopTop #9
    justme

Just watched a You Tube vid of Zappa on his show...This is classic Zappa. Letterman say that he heard that Zappa was going to do a release of a compilation of all his albums. He asked Frank how many albums he has released. Frank says 35. Letterman ask if it will be released as a package or sold in parts. Frank says....You'll be able to get it in 7 boxes of 5 albums each!!!! Letterman didn't even get it!!!!

I laughed my ass off!!! Classic Zappa gotya!!!!!

10. TopTop #10
    justme

Ok...One more and I am done...This You Tube vid has an outstanding guitar rif by Frank...Enjoy his style!!! Here

Not too bad for a little skinny Italian dude that was once laughed off as a temporary fad!!!! LMFAO!!!!!!

11. TopTop #11
    podfish

Last time I saw ZPZ, someone in the crowd shouted out for that song. Dweezil said he's not emotionally ready to play it yet... quite a piece of music! Too many people only know Frank by "Yellow Snow".
    [quote=justme;102982]Ok...One more and I am done...This You Tube vid has an outstanding guitar rif by Frank...Enjoy his style!!! Here

12. TopTop #12
    justme

Great segue from the Central Scrutinizer! This was a real upsetting set for many..... Very Good!

YouTube - Frank Zappa - Catholic Girls + Crew Slut