Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1

Is Your Favorite Store About To Dissapear?

Downtown Sebastopol has lots of storefronts.
    Have you noticed that some businesses have vanished?
    Did you know that some are barely hanging on?
    This is a tough time for many local businesses.
    They NEED your support if they are to survive.

| Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    Jack95472

Re: Is Your Favorite Store About To Dissapear?

Our progressive and green family has lived in Sebastopol for more than 30 years. We giggle at the notions of newcomers who keep trying to change us into their versions of where they came from, and we have never bowed down to your petulant demands or silly observations. (You will go away as fast as you arrived because you don't have the agrarian soul to make it here.) "Real Sebastopol" has tended to look askance at the "thou-shalts" of the politically correct, of the genderiffic, and the newbies who don't mind spending $5 for a peach at the Hole of Whole Foolishness. You respect tradition? We oldtimers have always joked that if there were a nuclear attack, the newish Sebastopol stores would be totally useless because they tend to be full of nothing but candles, snake oil, at best, greeting cards with astrological motifs that will not cure your cancer, score your a spouse, or reduce your fat. In the synergy of business and personal needs, stores have come and gone for more than half a century in downtown Sebastopol. The commercial vacancy rate now is worse because of the terrible traffic caused by the one-way streets invented by the Republican hawk who formerly ran the Sebastopol stationery store next door to what is now the Main Street Theater. That warmonger wanted one-way traffic to drum up business. To do so, he made sure that our unique train down Main Street was removed. If you haven't been here for awhile, or if you haven't studied the traditions of Sebastopol narratives, don't be superficial in lamenting "favorite" (frivolous) stores disappearing. You don't realize the damage done to Sebastopol by the so-called and ironic Farmer's Market that ties up traffic back to Llano Road and creates terrible greenhouse gases with 1000s of cars idling. You don't even know about the historic and serious Pease Pharmacy and the downtown movie theater that were both destroyed for Safeway's gain, and yet Safeway, ironically, is the best bargain in Sebastopol. You may deny that, but your wallet won't. You may not like any of this, but so what? In five minutes or five months or five years, those of you pushing and shoving and elbowing your way through Sebastopol will all go onto somewhere else--if you even remember having been here.

3. TopTop #3
    Zeno Swijtink

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Jack95472: View Post
    Our progressive and green family has lived in Sebastopol for more than 30 years.
    Jack,

Why do you ornament your family with being "progressive" or "green"?

These words were brought here by the people you try to ridicule.

4. TopTop #4
    theindependenteye

Jack—

Sounds as if you have a lot of stake & pride in Sebastopol, but from your post it's hard to figure out what you're so pissed off about. Various things happend at various times, and you don't like stores that sell candles — that's about what I get from what you're saying.

We moved here from the East ten years ago and definitely don't have the "ararian" soul you speak of — I grew up among "agrarians" in the Midwest and left that behind long ago. So we're probably not the kind of people you'd like to come within ten miles of.

Nevertheless, you sound as if there's a lot both in your memory and on your mind, and I hope this isn't just a one-off diatribe but that you can speak more about specific things. And withhold the impulse to stereotype too rigidly. Most of the people I know aaround here, even those who buy candles, are a pretty individualistic and diverse bunch.

Peace & joy, or however the agrarians would have it--
    Conrad

5. TopTop #5
    Tars

I do try to support Sebastopol downtown businesses. But most of them I just can't afford. I feel like they are geared more to the San Francisco economy than Sonoma County's.

About the only one I can afford to shop in is the used book store. I've done a bunch of holiday/birthday/family event shopping on Main Street, but usually end up purchasing online, or at a big box. I saw a new book that looked real interesting to me - they wanted $100 - couldn't afford it. Went on Amazon, and bought the book, including shipping, for $40.

My most-recent example - I shopped a downtown jewelry store, which wanted to sell me a plastic necklace for my wife, for $200. An established shop, selling primarily women's clothing, wanted over $300 for a linen jacket. I ended up buying a nice (not fancy)dress for my mate, at the ridiculous price of $180. But I won't bother shopping for clothing here again.

I have a friend who had a shop on Main Street for years. He just moved his business to Healdsburg. He says that gimmicky clothing stores, plastic gimmick shops, and over-priced little restaurants opened all around him, and the type of clientele they attract isn't interested in his offerings.

Sad fact is, downtown Sebastopol is morphing into a clone of Carmel, and is increasingly geared towards SF tourists.

6. TopTop #6
    Dram

Because of how life has been lived and the style of community today besides the varying flourishes, money is more important than neighbors. You might wish to argue it otherwise but it is so and so goes the neighborhood meaning the stores that align themselves to acquiring this money. In other times of earlier days there were many forms of currency to spend and many stores looking for those other currencies, but today's fast food world and fast people do not live the life to develop those currencies so what else do they have to spend? So agin I say look to your undeveloped currencies and maybe then your stores will too.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Tars: View Post
    I do try to support Sebastopol downtown businesses. But most of them I just can't afford. I feel like they are geared more to the San Francisco economy than Sonoma County's.

About the only one I can afford to shop in is the used book store. I've done a bunch of holiday/birthday/family event shopping on Main Street, but usually end up purchasing online, or at a big box. I saw a new book that looked real interesting to me - they wanted $100 - couldn't afford it. Went on Amazon, and bought the book, including shipping, for $40.

My most-recent example - I shopped a downtown jewelry store, which wanted to sell me a plastic necklace for my wife, for $200. An established shop, selling primarily women's clothing, wanted over $300 for a linen jacket. I ended up buying a nice (not fancy)dress for my mate, at the ridiculous price of $180. But I won't bother shopping for clothing here again.

I have a friend who had a shop on Main Street for years. He just moved his business to Healdsburg. He says that gimmicky clothing stores, plastic gimmick shops, and over-priced little restaurants opened all around him, and the type of clientele they attract isn't interested in his offerings.

Sad fact is, downtown Sebastopol is morphing into a clone of Carmel, and is increasingly geared towards SF tourists.
    Last edited by Dram; 09-08-2009 at 09:43 AM. Reason: punctuation

7. TopTop #7

DRAM, It sounds almost like you have something very interesting to say here, but I can't quite put my finger on it. Perhaps you could expand on your post just a bit to help me understand exactly what your idea of undeveloped currencies is.
    Do you mean barter? Do you mean some type of local currency?
    I use barter with my neighbors for veggies and fruit, but how would that work with a store that must buy manufactured goods to sell to us?

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Dram: View Post
    Because of how life has been lived and the style of community today besides the varying flourishes, money is more important than neighbors. You might wish to argue it otherwise but it is so and so goes the neighborhood meaning the stores that align themselves to acquiring this money. In other times of earlier days there were many forms of currency to spend and many stores looking for those other currencies, but today's fast food world and fast people do not live the life to develop those currencies so what else do they have to spend? So agin I say look to your undeveloped currencies and maybe then your stores will too.

8. TopTop #8

Well, you are right Tars. Sebastopol has some expensive shops. There are some shops though that sell goods that you would have a very hard time finding online.
    Mostly my post was to folks who have favorite shops downtown that they would not want to see vanish. It was a reminder that we can shop local for lots of things and need not go far away to purchase them.
    The more we shop online or in the big box stores, the more small shops will close due to lack of business.
    I guess that's progress, but I'm sad to see it go that way. I like to go into a store where I can see and feel the goods I am thinking of buying and while I'm there, I may see something else that I need.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Tars: View Post

9. TopTop #9

Hi Jack,

I THINK I understand where you're coming from. I've been living in Sonoma County for 30 years myself and I remember the train running down the downtown tracks and I miss it.

My first job in town was working at a local apple cannery.

Yes, most folks must drive into town to shop at the local farmers market, but what would you have them do? If they don't come, the market will die.

You don't need to be politically correct or a newbie to support your favorite stores in Sebastopol.

I miss the way it used to be also, but now, it is what it is.

Support what we like... the rest may just fade away.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Jack95472: View Post
    Our progressive and green family has lived in Sebastopol for more than 30 years. We giggle at the notions of newcomers who keep trying to change us into their versions of where they came from, and we have never bowed down to your petulant demands or silly observations. (You will go away as fast as you arrived because you don't have the agrarian soul to make it here.) "Real Sebastopol" has tended to look askance at the "thou-shalts" of the politically correct, of the genderiffic, and the newbies who don't mind spending $5 for a peach at the Hole of Whole Foolishness. You respect tradition? We oldtimers have always joked that if there were a nuclear attack, the newish Sebastopol stores would be totally useless because they tend to be full of nothing but candles, snake oil, at best, greeting cards with astrological motifs that will not cure your cancer, score your a spouse, or reduce your fat. In the synergy of business and personal needs, stores have come and gone for more than half a century in downtown Sebastopol. The commercial vacancy rate now is worse because of the terrible traffic caused by the one-way streets invented by the Republican hawk who formerly ran the Sebastopol stationery store next door to what is now the Main Street Theater. That warmonger wanted one-way traffic to drum up business. To do so, he made sure that our unique train down Main Street was removed. If you haven't been here for awhile, or if you haven't studied the traditions of Sebastopol narratives, don't be superficial in lamenting "favorite" (frivolous) stores disappearing. You don't realize the damage done to Sebastopol by the so-called and ironic Farmer's Market that ties up traffic back to Llano Road and creates terrible greenhouse gases with 1000s of cars idling. You don't even know about the historic and serious Pease Pharmacy and the downtown movie theater that were both destroyed for Safeway's gain, and yet Safeway, ironically, is the best bargain in Sebastopol. You may deny that, but your wallet won't. You may not like any of this, but so what? In five minutes or five months or five years, those of you pushing and shoving and elbowing your way through Sebastopol will all go onto somewhere else--if you even remember having been here.

10. TopTop #10
    Dram

Undiscovered Currency.

A few posts ago I made comment on dermistid beetles and road kill to no great applause,

a few days ago it was announced that the County would no longer be picking up dead animals from the road kill.

Do you think they are going to lower your taxes now for providing less service?

So instead of promoting a transcendence from taking money out your pocket in taxes to provide for the things government does instead of its citizens we now will have more dead animals in the roadway, I wonder what increased bio-hazards might now be blowing in the wind?

but to make it more simple to see.

lets do the math.

How much money does it take to live a good life?

That brings the question of " what is a good life? "
    and in that what currency would there need be to conduct a life

Here is a case of undiscovered currency.

looking through the same eyes of the world at a homeless person equals=

one liability, one drain on community resources. a black hole need need need.

looking at it through my eyes

An open Circle

11. TopTop #11
    Tars

Quote Posted in reply to the post by tomcat: View Post
    The more we shop online or in the big box stores, the more small shops will close due to lack of business.
    I guess that's progress, but I'm sad to see it go that way. I like to go into a store where I can see and feel the goods I am thinking of buying and while I'm there, I may see something else that I need.
    I still browse the shops in downtown Sebastopol frequently. There really isn't much offered there anymore in the way of practical items though - no hardware store, appliances, etc. - mostly artsy/luxury/gift items. The book stores, music store, art store, and herb shop, are about all that's left there of traditional downtown-style stores.

Downtown may be a victim, not so much of box stores, as mostly they don't offer the same kinds of items. Anymore, they mainly provide impulse-purchase items, at a high mark-up. These days, especially after the GOP rape of the middle class (I'll save that for a different thread) most of us don't have the disposable income to support much impulse shopping. Unfortunately for the downtown merchants, they have to compete against Amazon, eBay, and craigslist, and specialized websites, selling all the same stuff, with a much smaller markup. The advent of PayPal, which let's anyone with email accept credit card payments has had a major impact as well.

It's not just downtown either. I mainly satisfy my "hands-on" shopping experience at the local flea market. When I first started shopping there a few decades ago, there were numerous small vendors with stalls, selling similar impulse items to those currently offered by downtown shops. Now, those small vendors have pretty much disappeared, and the flea market is a shadow of its former self. I'm thinking that many of those members have taken their little entrepenurial enterprises and opened eBay "stores".

I mentioned a retailer friend of mine who recently moved from downtown Sebastopol, to Healdsburg. He will have a retail storefront there, hopefully with a more-consistent disposable-income-spending SF clientele. But he's also setting up a catalog-style website, with the ubiquitous "shopping cart", and credit card facility.

Quote I miss the way it used to be also, but now, it is what it is.
    Amen brother.

12. TopTop #12

I have to weigh about downtown Sebastopol. It is still primarily locally owned businesses. Dressers, for example, is owned by a woman who started the business in Cotati in something like 1972 or 1973. For a while she operated both locations but eventually closed the Cotati location. Now her daughter manages the store. I have been shopping at her shop since maybe 1975 and there is a continuity that I really appreciate and enjoy. Sure, a lot of the prices are high but look elsewhere for similar quality and it's no different. It is one of the finest women's clothing stores in Sonoma County and always has been.

Global Village is also locally owned and they carry Magdalena, a brand of women's clothing that is very hard to find but that I love. Happy me.

Artisana is locally owned as well. Some of their prices are high and some are low; quality is always good and the selection is interesting and thoughtful.

There are great used clothing stores in the two main blocks of downtown. The two locations of Copperfield's are welcome, too.

As far as national chains, Whole Foods included, go, I find them easy to ignore and always have. How do you boycott a place where you don't shop anyway? I find them pretentious and irrelevant.

And when it comes to the farmers market, what a treasure! Get rid of it and the traffic will be just as bad, as more visitors come for wineries and the coast. They may also stop at the farmers market but it is not the primary draw.

Downtown Healdsburg changed over night from a downtown dominated by local businesses to a downtown dominated by national brands and tourists. Sebastopol has changed, yes, but nowhere near to the degree that Healdsburg has.

For perspective, I have lived here for the last 21 years and also lived here in the late 1970s. I remember the train. I remember the two-way traffic (it was way worse than traffic is now). I remember the theater and the drug stores and the stationers. I remember West of the Laguna, Uncle Sam's, Truffles and Sapphire Mynx. Do I miss them? Yes. Do I hate Sebastopol as it is now? No.

One more thing. I just have to ask, what is genderiffic? I have no idea what this means.

13. TopTop #13

Yes!, see, now that's what I'm talking about!

There are LOTS of places that we all love to visit and shop that are local, not just in the one or two block Downtown. We have so much available to us right there, LOCAL. We have books, music, art, herbs, clothing, imports, farmers market, hardware, restaurants... What else do you like?

The point is, if you like the stores, shop there as often as you can and tell your friends.

These stores are locally owned and hire local workers.

Any more favorites???

Quote Posted in reply to the post by oliviathunderkitty: View Post
    I have to weigh about downtown Sebastopol. It is still primarily locally owned businesses. Dressers, for example, is owned by a woman who started the business in Cotati in something like 1972 or 1973. For a while she operated both locations but eventually closed the Cotati location. Now her daughter manages the store. I have been shopping at her shop since maybe 1975 and there is a continuity that I really appreciate and enjoy. Sure, a lot of the prices are high but look elsewhere for similar quality and it's no different. It is one of the finest women's clothing stores in Sonoma County and always has been.

Global Village is also locally owned and they carry Magdalena, a brand of women's clothing that is very hard to find but that I love. Happy me.

Artisana is locally owned as well. Some of their prices are high and some are low; quality is always good and the selection is interesting and thoughtful.

There are great used clothing stores in the two main blocks of downtown. The two locations of Copperfield's are welcome, too.

As far as national chains, Whole Foods included, go, I find them easy to ignore and always have. How do you boycott a place where you don't shop anyway? I find them pretentious and irrelevant.

And when it comes to the farmers market, what a treasure! Get rid of it and the traffic will be just as bad, as more visitors come for wineries and the coast. They may also stop at the farmers market but it is not the primary draw.

Downtown Healdsburg changed over night from a downtown dominated by local businesses to a downtown dominated by national brands and tourists. Sebastopol has changed, yes, but nowhere near to the degree that Healdsburg has.

For perspective, I have lived here for the last 21 years and also lived here in the late 1970s. I remember the train. I remember the two-way traffic (it was way worse than traffic is now). I remember the theater and the drug stores and the stationers. I remember West of the Laguna, Uncle Sam's, Truffles and Sapphire Mynx. Do I miss them? Yes. Do I hate Sebastopol as it is now? No.

One more thing. I just have to ask, what is genderiffic? I have no idea what this means.

14. TopTop #14
    eadgbe

Although the original writer decries the conservatives and their effect on Sebastopol, there is nothing more conservative than the fear of change. It is inevitable that things we love will change; people die; people move; people have dreams and try to bring them to life, all without your permission. Most of the stores, galleries, and restaurants in Sebastopol are locally owned. Ok, not all. Life. Just real life. I think it is more important to look at who is doing what, and what they are doing, than to where they are from or how long they have been here. Unless you are planning to close the borders (where? at Llano road? at Mill Station?) you might want to investigate what is here and who brought it. The Record store is local, Silk Moon is local, People's is local, and the list goes on. These places hire locals. Silk Moon supports locals and also helps support real people, real artisans, in SE Asia; not generic "artisans," but actual specific people. The economy is tough; look for what you can afford, while realizing that some people want the best they can afford, others want the cheapest they can find. No judgement here; just an observation. As new stores open, find out who owns them; find out what they offer; find out if they are trying to do some good, both here and elsewhere. You can decry the corporation while shopping at the biggest corporate outlet, or you can buy what you need, what you want, where you feel like it. You can even make a conscious decision to purchase from people who are trying to make a difference, both here and elsewhere. SEbastopol is home to artists who are trying to make a living; support them if you think they are good. You are not obligated to buy anything, anywhere. Self-righteous indignation isn't going to make Sebastopol a better place to live. Think globally, buy locally, buy what you like, buy what you need. Keep the borders open to new ideas and new people.

Yes!, see, now that's what I'm talking about!

There are LOTS of places that we all love to visit and shop that are local, not just in the one or two block Downtown. We have so much available to us right there, LOCAL. We have books, music, art, herbs, clothing, imports, farmers market, hardware, restaurants... What else do you like?

The point is, if you like the stores, shop there as often as you can and tell your friends.

These stores are locally owned and hire local workers.

Any more favorites???

15. TopTop #15

Any more favorites???
    Many. The video store next to Whole Foods; Box Office, right? Infusions for my favorite teas. Silk Moon for the tiny woven insects and such made by a woman who works, I think, under a banyan tree in Thailand; the owner finds her a couple of times a year, places an order, stays in a nearby hotel and then picks the order up a few days later. Great gifts, very inexpensive. Rosemary's Garden for the body care product line Solum & Herbe. Susan, the woman behind Solum & Herbe, got her start in Sebastopol and sold her products at our farmers market. A number of years ago the family moved to Port Townsend because it was a good place for her husband's bad allergies.

Upstairs in the Basso building, in the south west corner, for Mexican print oil cloth.

Fircrest Market, Andy's Market, Pacific/Fiesta Market.

Starbucks, non. Hardcore, My Friend Joe, Coffee Catz and all the other local coffee places, si.

Screaming Mimi's!

Perfect Nails, best nail saloon around. And a few doors up, a shop with discounted CDs, DVDs, ink cartridges, paper, etc. Both are in the little shopping center where McDonalds is (never been there, not this one, not any).

I just went to Main Street Deli for the first time; it is next to the post office. What a treasure! Delicious Middle Eastern food (I had lamb schwarma in lavash; they nailed it), run graciously by a very nice family, felt very comfortable sitting at the big family-style table inside. Inexpensive. Can't wait to return.

When you really start to think specifically, you realize we have an abundance of wonderful places in Sebastopol.

16. TopTop #16
    lynn

Well, I really appreciate Jack's rant here...

He's got some good points...

Boy, I hate it when people say 'change happens' in a complete dispassionate way...Yeah, change happens, but some changes really do suck (because people don't care, or have much vision and creativity) - Esp. about the Train bein' ripped out...Boy, what a bummer!...(I didn't know about that!)...

And that's one reason why we should better learn from history - to not repeat the stupid, sucky decisions!...Oh, well...

And I'm tired of all the 'gentrification', 'yuppi-fied' stuff that has gone on in Sonoma Co. too...Some of it's fine and dandy...

But, 'Wine Country' has gotten so ridiculous...

Yep, I thought it was 'cooler' here in the 70's too...Not so p.c., and freakin' snooty...(And was a lot more fun, runnin' around nekkid under the full moon, in the springs...before that dam!)...

{..."To do so, he made sure that our unique train down Main Street was removed. If you haven't been here for awhile, or if you haven't studied the traditions of Sebastopol narratives, don't be superficial in lamenting "favorite" (frivolous) stores disappearing."...}

17. TopTop #17
    Sister Sunset

We work hard to NOT spend out of Sebastopol and many, many times get happy results.

I needed a tool badly and thought I just could not afford to buy it locally. I sighed heavily thinking that there was no way I could stand by local store owners this time. Just on what I thought was a whim, I went to Sebastopol Hardware for something else ... wouldn't you know it, the item I needed was on sale ... I ended up spending LESS than I planned on, was greeted at the cash register in a friendly way, did not have to drive out of town and came home very, very happy.

We are relative newcomers to this are, we love it and hope to see Sebastopol prosper without losing it's original character.

Zelda