Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Barrie
    Supporting member

Happy outcome for rescued cat

Last week a woman named Sandy asked for referals for vet care for a stray cat with an abscess or tumor on her neck. We communicated about it, she said the cat was known in the neighborhood and has had 3 litters of kittens while living on her own. She is tame, clearly an abandoned pet, not a feral cat.

The cat had a tumor which the vet removed. The cat, now named Sweetie, is getting along with Sandy's two cats and seems to be very happy to be living indoors and getting some help. The vet bill was over $500, so Sandy who is a senior on limited income, could use some help herself. Two of us involved have sent her checks, if you would like to support someone doing the right thing for a desperate animal, send a check to;
    Sandy Murphey
    532 Lacrosse Ct. S
    Rohnert Park CA 94952

Thanks, Barrie
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    Shandi

Re: Happy outcome for rescued cat

I'm so grateful that Barrie has offered to help, and has already told other people about this wonderful little kitty who's opened my heart, and emptied my wallet, to the tune of $520.

They removed a very large tumor with many "tentacles". We don't know if she has something that may have spread to the rest of her body. I'm unable and unwilling to spend upwards of thousands of dollars if this little girl has some incurable illness. I mainly wanted to do something to give her some comfort. I had no idea it would be so costly.

The other part of the story is that she's a 6 toed cat, and one of her nails had curled around and grown into her pad. The vet couldn't even address that because of the extensive surgery for the tumor. She has a 5" scar
    across her chest. She really looks as though she's had a masectomy.
    They also shaved her leg and paw so they could see the extent of the nail growth.

Yet, she's acting happy as usual, and beheaded a mouse before he was able to get in my kitchen. I had seen her do that before the surgery, but never expected her to continue her vigilance while under the influence of pain meds and anti-biotics. The vet said she might be a bit dis-oriented.

As I told Barrie, the first night after her surgery, I had confined her in a room, so she'd be protected from any other cats prowling around at night.
    I could hear her meowing as I went to bed. She clearly didn't want to be in there. But I wanted her to be safe.

In the morning, I opened the back door, and she was waiting there for me!
    No one let her out, and yet she had somehow escaped from the room!!
    It's a mystery; no one let her out. Is she a magical cat that goes through walls? We may never know. I'm tempted to put her in there again to see what happens.

The hardest part has been giving her the meds. She squirms so much even with a towel wrapped around her, I'm concerned she'll open the stitches.
    I feel frustrated about this, but there's no one to help me with this.

I was calling her "Six toes" for awhile because I didn't want to get attached. But I feel that she deserves a more fitting name, and have decided that it must be "SWEETIE" because she is so sweet and loving.
    She really seems to just want to love and be loved; it's much more important to her than food.

The other cats seem to tolerate her, but I don't keep her in the house because it's too risky for her. She actually prefers to be outside, although at times she's slipped in for a bite of the other cats food, for a little variety.

I will take some pictures of her as soon as I can. She's really a beautiful long haired feline, but I'm not sure of her mix.

If anyone wants to help me out with this horrific vet bill, please send your donations to Sandy Murphey at 532 Lacrosse Ct. S. Rohnert Park, 94928.
    I think there was a mistake in the zip code in Barrie's post. I may have spaced out and given it to her wrong. This whole event has left me a bit numb in the brain!

Thanks so much for taking the time to read my story about Sweetie. I so hope she can be healthy once again. I'm willing to have her be my little pal, which she seems to want so much! It's really funny how some cats choose who they want to be with. This is the second time I've had a cat choose to be with me, even though I tried to chase her away for a long time before I surrendered to her loving spell.

When you see her, you'll know why I opened the door to my heart.

Sandy
    707 665-0547

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Barrie: View Post
    Last week a woman named Sandy asked for referals for vet care for a stray cat with an abscess or tumor on her neck. We communicated about it, she said the cat was known in the neighborhood and has had 3 litters of kittens while living on her own. She is tame, clearly an abandoned pet, not a feral cat.

The cat had a tumor which the vet removed. The cat, now named Sweetie, is getting along with Sandy's two cats and seems to be very happy to be living indoors and getting some help. The vet bill was over $500, so Sandy who is a senior on limited income, could use some help herself. Two of us involved have sent her checks, if you would like to support someone doing the right thing for a desperate animal, send a check to;
    Sandy Murphey
    532 Lacrosse Ct. S
    Rohnert Park CA 94928

Thanks, Barrie

3. TopTop #3
    ChristineL

If you're giving her pills, try pill pockets. They work really well with my cats.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Shandi: View Post
    I'm so grateful that Barrie has offered to help, and has already told other people about this wonderful little kitty who's opened my heart, and emptied my wallet, to the tune of $520.

Last edited by Barry; 09-03-2009 at 09:54 AM.

4. TopTop #4
    Shandi

I want to thank Barrie and Donna for their donations to help with this vet bill. My heart overflows with gratitude that they would help me with the care of this beautiful little kitty who had been neglected and abused, who chose me to get her tumor out, and remove a toe nail that had curled around and was embedded in her pad.

The stitches came out yesterday, and she's healed beautifully. She was so calm, and even purred on the vet's table. It's as if she knew we all wanted to help her.

I'm going to try to post a picture of her. If it's too large, I'll have to reduce it, and try again later.

Thanks to all who's heart was opened by "Sweetie"

Sandy

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Barrie: View Post

Sandy Murphey
    532 Lacrosse Ct. S
    Rohnert Park CA 94952

Thanks, Barrie

5. TopTop #5
    jesswolfe

Beautiful kitty! I am so glad she has a home now.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Shandi: View Post
    I want to thank Barrie and Donna for their donations to help with this vet bill. My heart overflows with gratitude that they would help me with the care of this beautiful little kitty who had been neglected and abused, who chose me to get her tumor out, and remove a toe nail that had curled around and was embedded in her pad.

The stitches came out yesterday, and she's healed beautifully. She was so calm, and even purred on the vet's table. It's as if she knew we all wanted to help her.

I'm going to try to post a picture of her. If it's too large, I'll have to reduce it, and try again later.

Thanks to all who's heart was opened by "Sweetie"

Sandy