Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    C Tut

Canning help for a newbee?

I just canned some apple sauce for the first time. I thought I got all the bubbles out, but now that they're processed I can see some small bubbles on the sides of the jars. They were processed correctly and sealed perfectly. Do I need to start over, or will they be ok? Any tips greatly appreciated, thanks!
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2

Re: Canning help for a newbee?

Don't worry about the 'small bubbles'. They are normal. You will see them in the jars of sauce from the store too. You did fine!
    Canning sauce is hot hard work, but next winter, you will be loving it and have a huge smile on your lips : )))
    One tip for your next batch, in case you haven't heard it before, is to use a bit of fresh cider (instead of water) to cook down your apple chunks with. It really makes the sauce taste GREAT : ))) I usually buy my cider fresh/frozen at Andy's.
    I use a 'Victorio Strainer' to get a super smooth consistency and get all of the seeds and other little bits out of the sauce just before canning.
    My favorite apples to use are the late season Rome Beauty, but any will do.
    Enjoy!

Quote Posted in reply to the post by C Tut: View Post
    I just canned some apple sauce for the first time. I thought I got all the bubbles out, but now that they're processed I can see some small bubbles on the sides of the jars. They were processed correctly and sealed perfectly. Do I need to start over, or will they be ok? Any tips greatly appreciated, thanks!

3. TopTop #3
    Sara S
    Auntie Wacco

Re: Canning help for a newbee?

A recipe a few years ago in the P.D.( for Gravensteins, but I'm sure any apples would be good with it) used Port wine instead of water, and the results are terrific; the taste is rich, and so is the color. I also like to make blackberry applesauce, with as much seedless blackberry juice as you want to add, and sugar to taste. This also looks beautiful.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by tomcat: View Post
    Don't worry about the 'small bubbles'. They are normal. You will see them in the jars of sauce from the store too. You did fine!
    Canning sauce is hot hard work, but next winter, you will be loving it and have a huge smile on your lips : )))
    One tip for your next batch, in case you haven't heard it before, is to use a bit of fresh cider (instead of water) to cook down your apple chunks with. It really makes the sauce taste GREAT : ))) I usually buy my cider fresh/frozen at Andy's.
    I use a 'Victorio Strainer' to get a super smooth consistency and get all of the seeds and other little bits out of the sauce just before canning.
    My favorite apples to use are the late season Rome Beauty, but any will do.
    Enjoy!