Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    "Mad" Miles

TNR Font Missing?!

Barry, and his minions...

I was just typing up my MOM's latest when I realized that I could not access the Times New Roman font. Mep, Mep, Meeeeep! (anybody know that movie reference?)

I'm a traditionalist when it comes to my use of the graphic arts. The Times font has been my preferred one for years. I know it reeks of fat liberal centrists in smoke filled rooms in the basement of Tammany Hall, but I like it anyway.

How come I can't get to it? The drop down box just won't let me, and it did as recently as yesterday.

By the by, I still have to re-register a few times a day when I go to the site. My logon sticks at first, then it goes away and requires a re-log. And yes, my cookies are just fine on every other site that I regularly use. It's only on waccobby that I'm having this problem.

I've noticed the slow loading as well. Yesterday, late morning, I gave up doing my final check before leaving for lunch, movie, shopping. (What a hard life I lead!? Not!)

Cheahs,

"Mad" Miles

P.S. Yup, just tried to make everything TNR, and had to resort to Garamond, which is OK but just not the same. I need my TNR!!! Wha, wha, wha, Mep, Mep, Meeeep!
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Re: TNR Font Missing?!

Hi Miles,

Time New Roman seems to be working just fine for me (this is in TNR). I am using Firefox 3 on a mac. Anybody else having trouble with fonts?

Don't know about the re-register either, nor have I seen new registrations from you. Do you mean re-login instead? And again, I haven't heard or seen any other problems with that. I haven't changed the system recently except for finally fixing the email problem. And the speed for me seems generally ok.

Sorry I can't be of more help. Anybody else having problems? Or not?

Barry

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Mad Miles: View Post
    Barry, and his minions...

I was just typing up my MOM's latest when I realized that I could not access the Times New Roman font. Mep, Mep, Meeeeep! (anybody know that movie reference?)

I'm a traditionalist when it comes to my use of the graphic arts. The Times font has been my preferred one for years. I know it reeks of fat liberal centrists in smoke filled rooms in the basement of Tammany Hall, but I like it anyway.

How come I can't get to it? The drop down box just won't let me, and it did as recently as yesterday.

By the by, I still have to re-register a few times a day when I go to the site. My logon sticks at first, then it goes away and requires a re-log. And yes, my cookies are just fine on every other site that I regularly use. It's only on waccobby that I'm having this problem.

I've noticed the slow loading as well. Yesterday, late morning, I gave up doing my final check before leaving for lunch, movie, shopping. (What a hard life I lead!? Not!)

Cheahs,

"Mad" Miles

P.S. Yup, just tried to make everything TNR, and had to resort to Garamond, which is OK but just not the same. I need my TNR!!! Wha, wha, wha, Mep, Mep, Meeeep!

3. TopTop #3
    "Mad" Miles

Barry,

Thanks for checking. Yeah, I meant "re-login".

The font inaccess is still happening, I just checked. The box opens, stops half way through "impact" and the scroll bar ends there as well. So it won't scroll down further to the rest of the fonts, TNR included.

I did just "upgrade" to Internet Explorer 8 yesterday. Perhaps that's where the problem lays.

You haters of Gates STFU! I use Microsoft because; it's what I can afford, IE came with my Dell, it does the job I want [usually], I have buttloads of McAfee anti-virus [which causes speed problems when "updates" are automatically down-loading, but that's a whole nother discussion], I don't want to pay a lot for extra software from Apple, and I want to get whatever software I decide I need, when I need it, so talk to someone who cares!!!??? Cause I don't.

Ahh..., gotta keep my "Mad" rep up, in spite of my occasional dissembling...

Miles aka "M"M

P.S. And now, for something almost, but not quite, completely different...

I haven't yet mentioned another little glitch that came up recently.

When I use the "Mark All Read" option, and thank you again for bringing it back, it really does enhance my scrolling pleasure (yeah, I get it too...Hah!) while on the board, all of the posts, except threads initiated or most recently responded to by me , debold.

It's a minor thing, I know. It cropped up several days ago, so it predates my IE to level 8 update yesterday. I can live with it, but it wasn't happening until recently, and it's a splinter in my smooth board scrolling. (Sic.)

As previously stated, I use the bold/unbold indicator to let me know which posts I've opened, or decided not to read, and which posts are new and unchecked by .... yo.

"M"M
    Last edited by "Mad" Miles; 07-02-2009 at 11:52 AM.

4. TopTop #4
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

The font inaccess is still happening, I just checked. The box opens, stops half way through "impact" and the scroll bar ends there as well. So it won't scroll down further to the rest of the fonts, TNR included.

I did just "upgrade" to Internet Explorer 8 yesterday. Perhaps that's where the problem lays.
    I now see the same problem with IE 8 and Windows XP. What was that about " it does the job I want [usually]" ? I suspect they will push out an update to fix that and create other problems sometime soon! I am not seeing a problem with the auto-login in IE 8, however.

5. TopTop #5
    Tars

You haters of Gates STFU! I use Microsoft because; it's what I can afford, IE came with my Dell, it does the job I want [usually], I have buttloads of McAfee anti-virus [which causes speed problems when "updates" are automatically down-loading, but that's a whole nother discussion], I don't want to pay a lot for extra software from Apple, and I want to get whatever software I decide I need, when I need it, so talk to someone who cares!!!??? Cause I don't.
    OK, OK, I'm consciously (in more ways than one) not allowing my fingers to type out an Internet Explorer rant. You just go ahead and use IE8, MM! Er...do I understand your post correctly? You use a Dell computer, but you have a Mac operating system, under which you are using Microsoft's IE8? No, wait, you said you use McAfee? So that means you're using the Windows OS... Confusing.

You're probably not interested then, to see a list of FREE! programs, super easy to install, that would speed up your browsing, and give you cool new features/control, AND remove the McAFee bloat (and the IE bloat as well)? And did I mention they're free?

I set my updates and system scan to happen at 2-5am, when I'm (usually) asleep. You should be able to configure that in your preferred programs, usually under "options", or sometimes "tools", or "help". You are FREE! to Keep your valuable browsing time unabated by updates!

ps. I'm and Arial or sans-serif freak, myself... I've found footless fonts to be easier for more people to read at any fontsize. Just my personal font bias. Hey, it's not Wacco anyway, is it, if someone's not contradicting you?

6. TopTop #6
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

A new version of FireFox (3.5) has been recently released, for both Windows and Mac. It does not have the font problem that IE 8 has and is Free!

You can download it here: Mozilla | Firefox web browser & Thunderbird email client