Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Braggi

Homeopathy Kills

[Note: This post may upset some people. It damn sure upset me. If you are easily upset by pediatric medical stories that do not end well, then you might want to skip reading this. The title alone may be all you need to know.]

Homeopathy is the antiscientific belief that infinitely diluted medicine in water can cure various ailments. It’s perhaps the most ridiculous of all "alternative" medicines, since it clearly cannot work, does not work, and has been tested repeatedly and shown to be useless. [Click link to read article]

Homeopathy kills | Bad Astronomy | Discover Magazine
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

3. TopTop #2
    sharingwisdom

Re: Homeopathy Kills

It's always sad when a child dies. I sense that there is more to the story that hasn't been told.

If Homeopathic medicine is a pseudo-science, why then, during the 1918 pandemic, W.A. Dewey, M.D. gathered data from homeopathic physicians treating flu patients around the US. They reported very low mortality rates among their patients, while flu patients treated by conventional physicians faced mortality rates of around 30 percent. Homeopathic physicians in Philadelphia, for example, reported a mortality rate of just over one percent for the more than 26,000 flu patients they treated during the pandemic. https://www.odemagazine.com/doc/30/fighting_the_flu/

Homeopathy is supported in France, Germany, England, Scotland, India, Canada, Mexico and many other countries. There is 200 years of testimonies of people who have been helped by homeopathy.

In German medical schools, the number of homeopathic courses offered has increased in recent years.

The Queen of England and the Royal Family have always used homeopathy. In fact, the Prince of Wales coined the term “complementary medicine.” Homeopathy in England is protected by an act of Parliament and they are privileged to have Homeopathic Hospitals. When Dr. Davey, the Queen’s physician, told Stephen Malthouse, MD, a doctor who felt that orthodox medicine wasn't complete, of the potential for homeopathy, he investigated it and became a Homeopathic doctor himself.
    https://www.alive.com/1376a4a2.php?subject_bread_cramb=227

"According to recent surveys in France, an astounding 40% of the
    French public have used homeopathic medicines, and 39% of French
    physicians have prescribed them. At least six French medical schools
    offer courses leading to a degree in homeopathy, and homeopathy is
    taught in all pharmacy schools and in four veterinary schools."
    https://www.homeopathic.com/articles/intro/international_h.php

In 1994, while in Nepal, Dr. Malthouse collaborated with Dr. Jennifer Jacobs in a double-blind placebo-controlled study that treated acute childhood diarrhea with homeopathy. Her first landmark study on childhood diarrhea was published in the mainstream medical journal Pediatrics and caused quite a stir in the scientific community. Childhood diarrhea is the number one killer of children in the world today, and their trial reiterated that homeopathy does indeed speed recovery. This research was published in the peer-reviewed Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine, adding to the rapidly accumulating scientific evidence of homeopathy’s effectiveness.

Personally, I raised my 4 home-birthed children, all grown now, on Homeopathy, Jin Shin Jyutsu, herbs and the best parenting skills I knew how (8 years of parenting courses). I didn't use doctors, besides the M.D. who occasionally suggested homeopathic remedies and chiropractors. Once, when my 5 year old son told me he wanted surgery on a hemotoma (the surgeon even told me to use alternatives to get the swelling down in order to make it easier for him. This surgeon also dreamed not to do the surgery...but my son insisted...got to support those intuitive children).

I watched my children go through chicken pox in less then 3 days due to the alternative practices that I honor and do. I assisted them in healing ear infections, flus, bronchitis, ring worm, broken bones, fevers and so much more that healed quickly. I was basically their medical provider and they turned out physically healthy until their father insisted they get vaccinated during our divorce. Then the allergies and menstral cramping began. Still, they had a good beginning, and their bodies were able to create their own antibodies early on.

I, myself, haven't needed the assistance of a doctor in 30 years and haven't taken alliopathic medication in 25 years. I've witnessed my own bones, which I broke my ankle and little toe, heal instantly.

I'm not saying that my lifestyle is for everyone. But it's my right to do with my life and my body in the ways that I know work best for me and my family. Life is about choices and decisions. I can only imagine the pain of this child's parents in wanting to do the best for their child only to see her die. I'm not here to judge their decision but to have compassion for the whole situation. Appearance of a situation isn't always the Highest Truth.

Doctors are human, not authority Gods (I honor them for what they have and can do for humanity in their limited capacity). But how many millions of children and adults are killed by alliopathy and the pharmeceutical companies??

In July of 2000, there was a great article in the Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA) , documenting the tragedy of the traditional medical paradigm. Doctors are the 3rd leading cause of death in the US, causing 225,000 deaths every year.
    Doctors are a major cause of death in the United States

The known deadly side effects of prescription drugs are the fourth leading cause of death in the industrialized world, surpassed only by the number of deaths from heart attacks, cancer and strokes (Journal of the American Medical Association, April 15, 1998).
    https://www.wnho.net/drug_company_corruption.htm

I see Energy Medicine being a primary way to be healthy for many, and it will become more powerful in the future. Being in the holistic, alternative healing business for 30 years, the trend is planetary and growing quickly. It's not only Deepok Chopra or Carolyn Myss now. It is global, and it won't go away because it seems to "threaten" the perceptions of orthodox medicine.

In healing,
    Judy

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Braggi: View Post
    [Note: This post may upset some people. It damn sure upset me. If you are easily upset by pediatric medical stories that do not end well, then you might want to skip reading this. The title alone may be all you need to know.]

Homeopathy is the antiscientific belief that infinitely diluted medicine in water can cure various ailments. It’s perhaps the most ridiculous of all "alternative" medicines, since it clearly cannot work, does not work, and has been tested repeatedly and shown to be useless. [Click link to read article]

Homeopathy kills | Bad Astronomy | Discover Magazine

4. Gratitude expressed by:

5. TopTop #3
    Sylph

Quote It's always sad when a child dies. I sense that there is more to the story that hasn't been told.
    There is more to the story and it only makes the parents seem more neglectful. The father is a homeopath who consulted with his brother who was also a homeopath. The parents consulted but rejected treatments offered by conventional doctors. When the couple was in India, the mother apparently received conventional medical treatment for her gallbladder disease. Recommended medical treatment for the daughter was not followed, and the baby suffered horribly.

Parents guilty of manslaughter over daughter's eczema death
    Quote But even after Gloria died, Thomas Sam adhered to his belief that homeopathy was equally valid to conventional medicine for the treatment of eczema.

He told police: "Conventional medicine would have prolonged her life ... with more misery. It's not going to cure her and that's what I strongly believe."
    People will cling to superstitious beliefs even in the face of the death of their own child.
    The high percentages of people who believe in homeopathy is not a valid argument. Lots of folks don't have the scientific educational background to understand basic physics or physiology.
    Homeopathic remedies harness the power of the patient’s own mind, the placebo effect, so naturally you will see an effect in many cases.
    Homeopathic remedies can be easily studied and they have been, exhaustively:

Confessions of a Quackbuster: Study: Homeopathy Drugs Don't Work
    Quote “Objections to the theory go back to 1846. It was then that British researcher John Forbes said that the idea of a medicine getting stronger the more it is diluted is "an outrage to human reason."

"I do not know what it is about the dilution theory that attracts people to it. I really do not know," Vandenbroucke tells WebMD. "But somehow the appeal has been consistent for 150 years."
    NCAHF Position Paper on Homeopathy
    Quote Homeopathy's principles have been refuted by the basic sciences of chemistry, physics, pharmacology, and pathology. Homeopathy meets the dictionary definitions of a sect and a cult--the characteristics of which prevent advances that would change Hahnemann's original principles. Most homeopathic studies are of poor methodological quality, and are subject to bias. Homeopathic product labels do not provide sufficient information to judge their dosages. Although homeopathic remedies are generally thought to be nontoxic due to their high dilutions, some preparations have proved harmful. The ostensible value of homeopathic products can be more than a placebo effect because some products have contained effective amounts of standard medications or have been adulterated.

6. Gratitude expressed by:

7. TopTop #4
    sharingwisdom

I still have a great deal of compassion for the entire situation. There is more that meets the "eye," and some of the articles presented are from a media perception of black and white angled to disprove anything that doesn't fit into scientific frame of reference. For me, living in the gray zone make things flow smoother and give a wider range of discernment and intuition.

As one of the articles you did present says, "Homeopathy it is worth exploring to see if it can help, regardless of what the naysayers say," Fry says. "It is about treating patients, not about doing studies..." https://quackfiles.blogspot.com/2005/08/study-homeopathy-drugs-dont-work.html

As far as these articles mentioning homeopathy as a placebo, anything can be a placebo. "Modern medicine, which doesn’t always understand this power of the mind over the body, calls it the “placebo effect.” This refers to the cultural and relational factors that make someone who’s sick feel better when a doctor prescribes treatment, regardless of its biological impact. Nowadays, doctors think they know everything about the placebo effect. They were taught that 30 percent of sick people treated with placebos show signs of improvement. Yet after studying the placebo effect, some scientists wonder whether it may be one of the strongest driving forces in medicine. A study published in Clinical Psychology Review in 1993 concludes that several types of placebos are effective in treating illnesses such as stomach ulcers, angina pectoris and herpes 70 percent of the time."

The part of our brains known as the hypothalamus directs the distribution of essential hormones and operates the diffuse network of nerves controlling the function of the internal organs. The most intriguing mechanism is that proposed by pharmacologist Candace Pert, author of Molecules Of Emotion: The Science Behind Mind-Body Medicine. She demonstrated that neuropeptides—molecules that help transmit messages among the brain’s neurons—affect the behavior of nearly all the body’s cells. This means what we refer to as our mind isn’t located just in the brain but throughout the body. It also implies that, driven by the comings and goings of these molecular messengers, the mind constitutes an immense communications network encompassing the functions of the organism.

So what is the placebo effect? Everything we don’t know about the capacity of the brain to heal the body. Therein, undoubtedly, lies the secret of the shamans and other healers. Their rituals, chants and restorative acts address the most archaic parts of the brain, those that regulate our organism and can participate in its healing.

Scientific medicine has lost this knowledge, replacing it with mechanical principles that allow the illness to be cured without speaking to the sufferer’s spirit.
    https://www.odemagazine.com/doc/63/placebo-effect-on-healing/

So whether Homeopathy is deemed scientific, placebo or unscientific, which makes little difference to me because I've use it for years on myself, and it works along with everything else I practice depending on the situation, there is more than meets the "eye." The proof is in the pudding for each individual, and since we are all individuals with changing emotions and environments, not all things will fit for us. But to say that Homeopathy is ineffective and quackery seems similar to what was said about acupuncture many years ago (and for some, still hold that paradigm). Conventional science is not at a place yet (if it ever will be) to understand the complete workings of Universal wisdom.

Alliopathy has been exploring healing alternatives much more in the last thirty years. I applaud their openess to expand their horizons. We are a species in exploration and discovery, and it's an adventure be part of the evolution with choices. I'm glad that I have the freedom to choose and discern what works for me and that there are others who feel the same for themselves.

What is freedom? Freedom is the right to choose: the right to create for oneself the alternatives of choice.” Archibald MacLeish, American poet/critic

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Sylph: View Post
    There is more to the story and it only makes the parents seem more neglectful. The father is a homeopath who consulted with his brother who was also a homeopath. The parents consulted but rejected treatments offered by conventional doctors. When the couple was in India, the mother apparently received conventional medical treatment for her gallbladder disease. Recommended medical treatment for the daughter was not followed, and the baby suffered horribly.

Parents guilty of manslaughter over daughter's eczema death
    People will cling to superstitious beliefs even in the face of the death of their own child.
    The high percentages of people who believe in homeopathy is not a valid argument. Lots of folks don't have the scientific educational background to understand basic physics or physiology.
    Homeopathic remedies harness the power of the patient’s own mind, the placebo effect, so naturally you will see an effect in many cases.
    Homeopathic remedies can be easily studied and they have been, exhaustively:

Confessions of a Quackbuster: Study: Homeopathy Drugs Don't Work
    NCAHF Position Paper on Homeopathy

8. TopTop #5
    Sylph

Quote ...anything can be a placebo. "Modern medicine, which doesn’t always understand this power of the mind over the body, calls it the “placebo effect.” This refers to the cultural and relational factors that make someone who’s sick feel better when a doctor prescribes treatment, regardless of its biological impact. Nowadays, doctors think they know everything about the placebo effect. They were taught that 30 percent of sick people treated with placebos show signs of improvement. Yet after studying the placebo effect, some scientists wonder whether it may be one of the strongest driving forces in medicine. A study published in Clinical Psychology Review in 1993 concludes that several types of placebos are effective in treating illnesses such as stomach ulcers, angina pectoris and herpes 70 percent of the time."
    We are in agreement! Surgery, 'real' medicine and any kind of touch can be a placebo. Doctors are sometimes incorporating homeopathy, even though they understand there is 'nothing' in it, just to give the patient something to believe in. (I have a problem with this...questionable ethically!) Many drugs, like antidepressants, don't have a huge effect, beyond placebo. That is why the huge studies are done...double blind, etc, to tease out the placebo effect.
    At least real medicine or herbs have an active ingredient. Homeopathic remedies are just water. Some of the 'favorable to homeopathic medicine' studies were done by homeopaths. Just like studies with links to Big Pharma, it makes you wonder!

9. Gratitude expressed by:

10. TopTop #6
    sharingwisdom

There is a commonality of some sense of agreement around placebo, but conventional medicine is not "real" medicine to me. It is just a form of medicine that most often masks symptoms of deeper problems and can help relieve those symptoms. That's not good or bad. It works for some and not for others.

And Doctors who incorporporate homeopathy, are not in agreement with you that there is 'nothing' in it so they give it to help patients have hope or believe in something. It was one doctor in one of your articles. That was in interesting thought twist you deduced.

From my perspective and those of many around the world, there is a connection with Spirit, God, Creator, Universe or whatever one might call that Unified Energy of ALL, to facilitate change of health-- conditions between what a person believes and how they are affected as mentioned in my previous thread (about Candance Pert and psychoneuroimmunology). Essence energy infusion is an active ingredient to me, that of Creation energy co-mingled with plant or nature essence. So I surmise, it makes you wonder, but not me.

As you mentioned, some of the studies have been done by homeopaths but then some have done by MD's.

I'll keep using what has worked for over 30 years, and you can do what works for you. And I'm totally fine agreeing to disagree. That's what makes this realm so very entertaining. Thanks for the interesting conversation. I have an Energy healing workshop to get ready to teach tomorrow.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Sylph: View Post
    We are in agreement! Surgery, 'real' medicine and any kind of touch can be a placebo. Doctors are sometimes incorporating homeopathy, even though they understand there is 'nothing' in it, just to give the patient something to believe in. (I have a problem with this...questionable ethically!) Many drugs, like antidepressants, don't have a huge effect, beyond placebo. That is why the huge studies are done...double blind, etc, to tease out the placebo effect.
    At least real medicine or herbs have an active ingredient. Homeopathic remedies are just water. Some of the 'favorable to homeopathic medicine' studies were done by homeopaths. Just like studies with links to Big Pharma, it makes you wonder!

11. Gratitude expressed by: