Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    JuliaB

The Science of Spirituality

The Science Of Spirituality

Is This Your Brain On God?

More than half of adult Americans report they have had a spiritual experience that changed their lives. Now, scientists from universities like Harvard, Pennsylvania and Johns Hopkins are using new technologies to analyze the brains of people who claim they have touched the spiritual -- from Christians who speak in tongues to Buddhist monks to people who claim to have had near-death experiences. Hear what they have discovered in this controversial field, as the science of spirituality continues to evolve.

NPR: Is This Your Brain On God?
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    SandBar

Re: The Science of Spirituality

Thanks so much for posting this. I was listening to NPR's show late last night on the drive home excited about the topic. Alas, when I got home my radio didn't pick up NPR and it was too late to search for it online. I had wanted to check out the whole week on this topic.

Not that we need science to make us spiritual but that the two worlds are having a conversation is positive.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by JuliaB: View Post
    The Science Of Spirituality

Is This Your Brain On God?

More than half of adult Americans report they have had a spiritual experience that changed their lives. Now, scientists from universities like Harvard, Pennsylvania and Johns Hopkins are using new technologies to analyze the brains of people who claim they have touched the spiritual -- from Christians who speak in tongues to Buddhist monks to people who claim to have had near-death experiences. Hear what they have discovered in this controversial field, as the science of spirituality continues to evolve.

NPR: Is This Your Brain On God?

3. TopTop #3
    nurturetruth
    Co-observing

Awesome!

thanks, JuliaB!

4. TopTop #4

i dont understand why people are so quick to explain the seemingly unexplainable with theories like spirituality or god. that doesnt seem like a logical approach to dealing with life. im sorry to be a skeptic, but could we please further this conversation. thank you.

5. TopTop #5
    JuliaB

ok, someguy--let's furthur the conversation then! What does spirituality mean to you? I think its fine to be a skeptic, but also important to have an open mind--perhaps its walking a delicate balance (that most of us tend to one side or the other).
    I would love to hear how and why you feel the way you do.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by someguy: View Post
    i dont understand why people are so quick to explain the seemingly unexplainable with theories like spirituality or god. that doesnt seem like a logical approach to dealing with life. im sorry to be a skeptic, but could we please further this conversation. thank you.

6. TopTop #6

Quote Posted in reply to the post by JuliaB: View Post
    ok, someguy--let's furthur the conversation then! What does spirituality mean to you? I think its fine to be a skeptic, but also important to have an open mind--perhaps its walking a delicate balance (that most of us tend to one side or the other).
    I would love to hear how and why you feel the way you do.
    Well, spirituality, along with all other ideaologies are based on human thought. Which is always limited to the persons own memory. So if thought is limited and these ideaologies are limited, then why would any person with a logical mind limit themselves by believing in an idea. I dont see the point.

7. TopTop #7
    magenta

someguy said "So if thought is limited and these ideaologies are limited, then why would any person with a logical mind limit themselves by believing in an idea. I dont see the point."

I do not profess to have the answers to this, and am interested in the link between science and spirit.
    In response to someguy's mention of 'logic'. why is it that things must be logical? isn't that limiting, or am I getting caught up in linguistics here? what if took a more creative/irrational approach to understanding spirit, while continuing to be fascinated by the idea that it may be explained through science/logic? did I just contradict myself?

Quote Posted in reply to the post by someguy: View Post
    i dont understand why people are so quick to explain the seemingly unexplainable with theories like spirituality or god.
    As far as 'attempting to explain the unexplainable', isn't that some people's way of thinking/understanding. aren't people naturally inclined to define, judge and interpret, even if not in the best or healthiest of ways. Isn't that part of being a conscious human?