Some time ago someone posted here that they had a european DVD and coulnd't play it. It might have even been on the old yahoo Wacco as I can't find the post. I tried to help the guy out, but decks that play those are rather expensive.

A couple days ago I was in a conversation and it came up that Target had a cheap player that even played some computer formats. I bought one and played with it. It not only did that, but it was soon playing a Japanese DVD that I had bought, but had never got to watch.

Anyway I hope this is of Local Interest, becuase the local Target in SR has 10 or so on the shelf for $35. It's the TruTech model. The model number is something like 320 or 330, but it's the only $35 model at Target. It's a tiny little thing and it's now plugged in where a fancy JVC model was.

Original message that I posted oddly:

This player plays some computer formats, I'm not sure wich yet, but it plays some of them. I think XVID. It also plays mp3s.

It gets worse or better. I just played a Japanese Region 2 DVD on it. I think I'll go back and get another one for the bedroom. Perhaps even a spare. Note that players that do this sort of thing typically sell for $150.

Here's the hack (special instructions) which makes it play any region. Oh, it also plays PAL and NTSC on both PAL and NTSC TVs. In short it will play just about any DVD.

Hack:
Switch player on and make sure there is no disc in the tray. CLose tray and press menu,1,9.

A menu should appear with the region option at about the third line from the bottom. use the arrow keys and select 0 when done hit OK .

REGION FREE