Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    mykil
    A Really Cute Guy

What’s in a prayer?

I have been contemplating in my mind the possibilities that I have been praying to my gods all wrong over the years. I mean who exactly knows what a proper prayer is among us? I, being a recovering Christian, yet still have a strong belief in the power of prayer, am just so put back by the options at hand. “Am I doing it wrong” is the majority of the reflection my mind keeps rolling over and over? If I am doing this little prayer ritual in a wrong light, what might be the right light? Am I doing more harm than good?

This really hit the boiling point in my mentality when I was driving down the road yesterday. I came across a dead skunk in the middle of the road. I laughed a little as the cars in front of me swerved to miss the little remains and I thought to myself I would say a little prayer to send him on his way. The mind being mysterious as one might expect sayz dear lord please take this little fellow back to the earth and recycle him… Hmmmmm recycle? Why would I presume I knew what the hell I was doing? For all I know I just deemed this little sprit to the earth for eternity! I mean the little sucker took the leap and can now run around our earth instead of being rooted right to the little sucker like one of our large oaks that can never seem to roam freely. Why would I want to send him back to the earth?

I have strong feelings on this subject often. About seven or eight years back I stopped saying “god bless you” when someone sneezed, it has sense changed to just plain bless you. [If you don’t know why people say bless you when you sneeze, it is because your heart stops for a moment and you are dead]! Little things thou that have an ever lasting impression on our world are changed daily by the power of prayer. A few years back a friend told me there was a man who cured the criminally insane by the power of prayer. He didn’t even see them. He would look at their charts and pray for their forgiveness. His cure rate was impressive, one hundred percent, just by praying for their forgiveness. I looked into this and tried it myself. IT WORKS! I know a relentless narcissist individual that has alwayz been on the verge. I started praying for his forgiveness, he is now not only a totally functioning human being, but he loves humor. He loves to read and laugh at jokes that one day not so long ago he would not even attempt to comprehend. He went to study the a new found religion, and has completed courses that amaze me, he even has a conversation with me that has meaning. I first noticed the change a year or so ago when he said excuse me. In the twenty years I have known him he has never said excuse me! I almost hit the roof!

I am soooo impressed by the power of prayer that I pray for everyone’s forgiveness now! HA! But what if I am doing something wrong? Like praying for that poor little squirrel? I have often wondered about the power of prayer and its magnificent powers coming directly from thought. Can this power be misused and is it being misused? Can the prayers some are adhering to putting our little planet in jeopardy? Is this why we are in such turmoil at this moment in time? The power of prayer is almighty for sure; I have no reservations on this. But what is a proper prayer to save or enlighten our little planet and the souls entailed and are embedded in our thoughts?

Can anyone tell me their most sacred prayer they say for our planet and the people that lie within? Does anyone besides me pray for our galaxy and our universe and beyond? Or am I the only crazy here? Does anyone here ever pray for god? I used to pray for god every eve, now I am not sure which god to pray for so I leave this space open… Morning mesmerisms by Mykil to you!
    Last edited by Barry; 03-09-2009 at 10:46 AM.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    Sylph

Re: What’s in a prayer?

Don't worry about the poor skunk! His time is over and he will be recycled. Do you really believe you have the power to 'send' a critter or human to the earth or to another plane or whatever? It must be quite a burden of responsibility think your mind is so powerful.
    Do you, Mykil, have the power to transform someone from dysfunctional to sane and happy? If this is true, I have some requests! (I'll email you privately a list of people who need changing)

You may be overestimating your own "power of prayer". I believe prayer is healing and transforming for the person praying.

Please don't worry one little bit about misdirected psychic energy zapping the skunk souls where they don't belong! If there is a skunk heaven, your prayers won't hinder the poor little guy.
    There is no wrong way to pray, is there, unless you are praying for someone else's downfall?

3. TopTop #3
    hales

Hy, Mykil..
    if I see a dead animal on the road, I just say "may the blessings be".. I don't assume I know where that skunk's spirit is or where it should go, but send a wish of blessing and easy transition it's way. If there is a great spirit, or creator, I assume that "IT/He/She knows what it/he/she knows what it is doing.

I generally do a contemplation, more than pray.. for me it's more like taking a shower in the great spirit, (or whatever you like to call it). I assume that It will find it's own way with me. I never really know how things will end up, anyway, so why should I try to tell the great spirit what to do..

If I am trying to manifest something, I do try to get really clear about what I want, then hold that in my imagination, and generate as positive a feeling as possible, a feeling of positive expectation and gratitude. Lately, I'm really sure I know what is the right thing for me, anyway, so then I just ask for insight and awareness.

I also like to say bless you, when someone sneezes, but it's just a good excuse to say it.. I'm not worried about the person's soul flying out.. ; )

I've had a couple of friends who says "bless his/her heart".. about someone, when most people would say, "what a jerk!".. I think it's a great way to avoid the poison of negativity and gossip..

So, to summarize, for me, prayer is more about maintaining a positive relationship with the spirit and sending good, non-directive thoughts towards all beings, rather than telling God or spirit what to do.

may the blessings be!

Scott.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by mykil: View Post
    I have been contemplating in my mind the possibilities that I have been praying to my gods all wrong over the years. I mean who exactly knows what a proper prayer is among us? ...
    Last edited by Barry; 03-12-2009 at 11:11 PM.

4. TopTop #4
    pjpete

Re: What’s in a prayer? RESPONSE

Dude, the power of prayer is the strongest, most reliable approach to your/our salvation, meaning your internal salvation, within yourself, your sole, your inner core, your being. Here is my approach to prayer, which is taken from the most famous prayer in the Bible, the "Lord's Prayer" which asks God for the necessities of life ("our daily bread"), a pure existence ("lead us not into temptation"), protection from danger ("deliver us from from evil"), and a blanket pardon ("forgive us our trespasses"). This should always be the approach to prayer. Prayer should always praise God/Jesus, ask for our needs, admit to our misgivings, ask for forgiveness. This can be applied to any situation, at any time of the day or night, and will help in releasing any pent up negative feelings, is meant to help liberate one's sole. In essence one is asking God for Heaven on Earth when praying in this manner. One realizes this is a bit idealistic, that God would grant such a Heaven on Earth. However, the more important part is the fact prayer is Enlightenment...! Praying for worthiness helps one be on guard so that one's heart is not weighed down with dissipation and drunkenness and the worries of this life, and that day does not catch you unexpectedly, like a trap. "For it will come upon all who live on the face of the whole earth. Be alert at all times, praying that you may be counted worthy to escape all these things that will take place, and to stand before the son of Man." Luke 21:34-36
    I have been contemplating in my mind the possibilities that I have been praying to my gods all wrong over the years. I mean who exactly knows what a proper prayer is among us? ...
    Last edited by Barry; 03-12-2009 at 11:11 PM.

5. TopTop #5
    NudeTea

I myself am a person recovering from many years in church. I am, as a matter of reflex, boycotting any established ritual for a while. If I get the hunch to perform final unction on a skunk on the road, I do it. If not, not. My prayers for anything are pretty rare. My "God" can make His own decisions, salvations, and maneuvers without my guidance just fine. But I do worship, thank, and praise.

6. TopTop #6
    pjpete

Re: Of Course God Can Make His Own Decisions

But you still follow the word by freeing your inner spirt by admitting that you do still "worship, thank, and praise," which are some of the foundations of prayer. Prayer is about the way one's spirit grows inside them. Prayer assures anyone on the path that enlightenment grows naturally....First the truth is planted within you, and then there it grows until the day comes when the harvest, the state of God-consciousness, arrives. Prayer also is a lesson in patience, since the seed praying sows grows slowly and out of sight. Jesus, speaks about the need to believe in him and his teachings, however, he is the light. Therefore, one can also say that the strong foundation that Jesus wants us to build is spirit itself, the light within. Spirit grows spontaneously, in it's own time, through persistence, and patience.
    Quote Posted in reply to the post by NudeTea: View Post
    I myself am a person recovering from many years in church. I am, as a matter of reflex, boycotting any established ritual for a while. If I get the hunch to perform final unction on a skunk on the road, I do it. If not, not. My prayers for anything are pretty rare. My "God" can make His own decisions, salvations, and maneuvers without my guidance just fine. But I do worship, thank, and praise.

7. TopTop #7
    notsomuch

I was enjoying James Brown perform Old Landmark from The Blues Brothers earlier, here's a link for the music:
    YouTube - Blues Brothers Video

Now I know the church history is a sensitive thing for many, been there myself but keep in mind this is a comedy.. You know, I wouldn't mind going to that church though!

Okay seriously, I think it might help to look at it in terms of wisdom and power. It seems clear that's where the concern is coming from, you believe in the power of prayer but don't know about the wisdom of what you're praying for basically, right? But having a formulaic prayer like covering this that and the other thing won't develop wisdom either will it? I mean if I tell you such and such is THE prayer but you don't see it, you'd just have to believe me or not. So short of having the wisdom ourselves then maybe it can be even more general than that, that is to say seek the wisdom rather than particular end results. If it's people or a situation you know great, it'll probably come naturally. But if not, I don't think it's wise to think in terms of "right answers" that you wouldn't necessarily see yourself, but just seek understanding and do your best in each instance.

8. TopTop #8
    MsTerry

Does anyone here ever pray for god?
    I've prayed for many things, but never for God.
    What did you wish for the one who has the whole world in his hand?

9. TopTop #9
    mykil
    A Really Cute Guy

I never want to knock a religion or a belief system someone has in place. I can only use reference to someone else’s expertise and experience when asking such a task as what prayer means to you. I used to preach the word of god, till one day it dawned on me I didn’t believe much or most of the bible anymore! I still don’t, my mind has evolved past the big book onto my own true world with my own true revolutions and experiences of their own. I have no more use for the bible. I am glad it is in place and has such a following, without it I would presume this earth would be a rather fucked up place. If I myself didn’t’ grow scruples at such a young age who knows where I would have wound up. Teaching good is alwayz an extraordinary event.

I think Scott is on the right track, or his friends anyway with the”bless his/her heart” when someone is being obnoxious or being a jerk. I have over the past decade or sooo reside to do allot of the same, love everyone without exception. No matter what the person has done you still have love in your heart for them. This way you can only look upon them with loving eyes. Sometimes this goes without saying is hard but in the long run your love shall succeed and they will be for the better!

AS far as skepticism Sylph; Yes I do believe we have the power to change lives. Just as your thought has prevailed in your own true world, it is the thought in your mind that you see all around you! Your mind makes up you whole world this goes without saying, yes? In short if you tell yourself you feel like a nice lemonade and think this sounds good, then you get up and make yourself one, what is that? That my dear is a really simplified version of prayer! HA! Moving forward, if you want a new car and think about this long and hard and ask your husband to help you get a new car and the two of you go shopping and you drive home in a new car, the power of you mind has won. You have thought this thru, and your mind has made this happen, how is your new car BTW? Above is pretty straight forward, real as real can be, you might even say scientific fact ya? I think you should try and pray for those people you talk of and see for yourself if they change over time, a little experiment of your own.

If you pray for peace, and then this takes hold of your mind and the outcome becomes something like saying “peace” whenever you part company, have you achieved a prayer? Has this prayer taken hold of anything what so ever? Does prayer work? It’s a good start! It does for me because in the last few years I have been really praying for peace, then all of a sudden I start saying “peace” as I am departing company from who ever it might be I have just came into contact with. I try to remember to write “P~E~A~C~E” at the end of each of my posts, promoting peace where I can. A revolution? I think not, just a prayer making its way out into the open. The thought that thought can take so much effect on our world is scary and refreshing at the same time. WE have the power and abilities to make things happen with our minds, with the power of prayer! Plain and simple this works! I have given you a simple version of how it works, while not even indulging into what it can truly do. I am a strong believe in the bee hive theory, the hive is one conscience! WE ARE ONE! Our thoughts make up our whole! This however is not scientifically sound just a theory soooo, on we go…

How do we better ourselves with such a prayer? How can we teach something and make it stick? What would a prayer be that can spread like wildfire and do no harm? This has to be THOUGHT up by the whole and indulged by all in order to turn a world around and make this a better place. Peace has been done to death; although I still think this is our best choice at this moment in time. BTW what did you think prayer was just out of mild curiosity? What should our prayers be and what should we write down on paper in this day and age? What should we start passing around as a refreshing anticipation toward our goals in this lifetime and beyond, what would you ask of others involving disciplines, outlook outreach, happiness, health, love, joy, companionship… if you were to believe in prayer? What would be the ultimate underestimated prayer we could all share with our conscience community, our world, {ill stop at that for now and worry about he universe and beyond a little latter] to make this turn around and make it happen?

When I ask the community for a simple idea for a simple prayer as a beginning the ultimate goal would have to be peace and harmony. But what would our simple prayer be? Where would our being evolve from? Where can we take prayer?

10. TopTop #10
    MsTerry

What’s in Mykil's prayer?

But what would our simple prayer be?
    Of course it is me who has the real dumb and obvious Question again.
    What’s in Mykil's prayer?
    what do you say, think or do when you are praying?
    Are you going to answer my Q this time?
    What did you pray for the one who has the whole world in his hand?

11. TopTop #11
    mykil
    A Really Cute Guy

whats your real name?

12. TopTop #12
    mykil
    A Really Cute Guy

You have soooo much you can teach me, yet you refuse. I shall pray for your forgiveness! Get ready for change!

13. TopTop #13
    Sara S
    Auntie Wacco

Mykil, I love the way you express your sweet spirit!

Probably the most basic prayer in Tibetan Buddhism is that of "refuge," most forms of which have a line like this:

"may I clear away the negativities of all sentient beings."

Or, in a longer form:

"May my practice and my positive actions of body, speech, and mind participate in the cause of awakening of all that lives."

Sara

You have soooo much you can teach me, yet you refuse. I shall pray for your forgiveness! Get ready for change!

14. TopTop #14
    pjpete

Oh geeez.....what is this leading up to.....
    Quote Posted in reply to the post by Sara S: View Post
    Mykil, I love the way you express your sweet spirit!

Probably the most basic prayer in Tibetan Buddhism is that of "refuge," most forms of which have a line like this:

"may I clear away the negativities of all sentient beings."

Or, in a longer form:

"May my practice and my positive actions of body, speech, and mind participate in the cause of awakening of all that lives."

Sara

15. TopTop #15
    MsTerry

You are praying for yourself, not for God.

16. TopTop #16
    NudeTea

Mykil makes a lot of claims in life. To be "grammatically correct" is not one of them.
    ;)

Quote Posted in reply to the post by MsTerry: View Post
    You are praying for yourself, not for God.

17. TopTop #17
    Sara S
    Auntie Wacco

Oops; I meant to post this in response to Mykil's post #9 above, which ended with:

When I ask the community for a simple idea for a simple prayer as a beginning the ultimate goal would have to be peace and harmony. But what would our simple prayer be? Where would our being evolve from? Where can we take prayer?

The other great Tibetan Buddhist practice (also pretty simple) is tong len, (taking and sending) in which I breathe in all the negativities (dark, sooty) of any person or situation; a white light in my heart center changes all this into positive white energy; I then breathe this out to these people. This may or may not alter those negative aspects of the person in question, but it certainly changes my attitude toward them.

Could there be any more profound expression of love than to voluntarily take on another's pain and suffering? For me, of course, it's still just a mental thing, but tradition holds that the great realized masters actually could remove the pain from another person, and would experience it themselves.

Sara

Quote Posted in reply to the post by pjpete: View Post
    Oh geeez.....what is this leading up to.....

18. TopTop #18
    mykil
    A Really Cute Guy

I am thinking we should all do a little experiment and see if we can change one person for the better. IF we all concentrate and pray for MzT. What might be the outcome? What would we pray for her to achieve? Should we just pray for her to come forth and show herself? Hmmm let us come up with a prayer and see if this prayer stuff really works! I am going to start praying right now for her soul, everyone pray!!!!

19. TopTop #19
    shellebelle

But then she wouldn't be a "mystery" would she? And would not that spoil the fun? i find her perfect as she is no improvement necessary.

I am thinking we should all do a little experiment and see if we can change one person for the better. IF we all concentrate and pray for MzT. What might be the outcome? What would we pray for her to achieve? Should we just pray for her to come forth and show herself? Hmmm let us come up with a prayer and see if this prayer stuff really works! I am going to start praying right now for her soul, everyone pray!!!!

20. TopTop #20
    MsTerry

Are you trying to change MsTerry into MsEry?

21. TopTop #21
    hales

I don't think trying to change someone else is the highest use of prayer. Who are we to say what is right for her soul?

Scott..

22. TopTop #22
    mykil
    A Really Cute Guy

Oh Scott, Where is your sense of adventure? WE can change her back when we are done with her. Take her on a ride she will never forget. Pray for warts, err a tail, err how bout bigger breasts??? NO NO NO I got it lets pray for laughter every time she reads the morning forum! HA!

Quote Posted in reply to the post by hales: View Post
    I don't think trying to change someone else is the highest use of prayer. Who are we to say what is right for her soul?

Scott..

23. TopTop #23
    pjpete

Thought for the day

"The LORD is my light and my salvation whom shall I fear? The LORD is the stronghold of my life of whom shall I be afraid?" Psalm 27:1

Are you trying to change MsTerry into MsEry?
    Last edited by Barry; 04-28-2009 at 08:30 AM.

24. TopTop #24
    MsTerry

Well Pete, I think you need to find out if your homosexual tendencies will still let you into heaven or if it is something you need to suppress and fear.
    You could ask Butch, he only charges 99c a minute on the internet.
    ps
    Does Jesus approve of you sending me nasty messages in private?
    That's your thought of the day.....................

whom shall I fear? whom shall I be afraid?"

25. TopTop #25
    mykil
    A Really Cute Guy

Hmmm; do you think god would mind if we started a new religion? Seriously now? I think we should start a new cult and after a few hundred years it might even be accepted as a new religion, you can keep your old faiths, we can just add to these and truly be on our way. I was thinking something along the lines of meeting every full moon in a parking lot around Sebastopol; everyone would be required to bring a bag of pistachios to share. And the great thing about this religion would be everyone gets a chance to be the leader, each and every full moon there shall be a new leader, and the new leader shall rise with the full moon and be all mighty leader of our cult for the entire lunar month, thirty leasers per year, not a bad number unless you are afraid of you know who… Think about it, it is already in the works and I am serious, You Mr. Basso could be leader for a month! Think of all the young minds you could warp and control! Each and every follower in our pride shall evolve to be king! If it gets overwhelmingly large enough we may even have two leaders per month, maybe a king and queen per say, and then three and so on and so forth until everyone gets to be king or queen! Seriously do you think your god would allow for this or is this not an ethical event for you to attend? Oh and we would be praising something other than your god for a change, this has yet not come to me in my dreams and meditated state, although it is close, I am pretty sure though we will be praising a female live body! A high priestess or goddess with a hot little bode… Fictional of course, not to overwhelm your true path in life with your exuberated expectations of your god and your beliefs. WE don’t want your god to get jealous and truly be pissed enough at you to make you go sit in his corner down in the over heated department on the lower levels on the bowels on this ship we are floating about in space for the longer period of time imaginable!

Hmmmm again, just he morning meditations towards a free world, and a free thought pattern not to be confused with the controlling aspect of another place time or even event that took place in another era. WE can have our cake and eat it too if you set your mind at ease and learn to be free, do you think your god needs you nagging at him to forgive your sins everyday imaginable? I love to pray and have a long standing belief in our prayer, I just pray to a higher authority than you do…

If you want to argue, err quote the bible go on up to Mzt’s and DW’s section where they are throwing he quotes around left and right and let them have a piece of your mind while leave me and my new found cult, err religion and my path towards a better day age and prayer alone big boy! Or better yet join my cause and my religion and help up save this world one soul at a time, oh wait that sounds too familiar…

26. TopTop #26
    mykil
    A Really Cute Guy

I wish he sent me hate mail, he only sends me “LETS GET TOGETHER AND DO IT” mail! HA! I am running out of wayz to say I am not BI! LMFAO!!!

Well Pete, I think you need to find out if your homosexual tendencies will still let you into heaven or if it is something you need to suppress and fear.
    You could ask Butch, he only charges 99c a minute on the internet.
    ps
    Does Jesus approve of you sending me nasty messages in private?
    That's your thought of the day.....................

27. TopTop #27
    shellebelle

Weird I told him you were straight too in fact I told him you are the prefect lesbian with a penis.

I hope Barry addresses this. I think this is one area where a major vibrational change on Wacco would be beyond appropriate.

I wish he sent me hate mail, he only sends me “LETS GET TOGETHER AND DO IT” mail! HA! I am running out of wayz to say I am not BI! LMFAO!!!

28. TopTop #28
    shellebelle

Weren't you one who said he feared Satan?

Thought for the day

"The LORD is my light and my salvation whom shall I fear? The LORD is the stronghold of my life of whom shall I be afraid?" Psalm 27:1

29. TopTop #29
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Quote Posted in reply to the post by shellebelle: View Post
    I hope Barry addresses this. I think this is one area where a major vibrational change on Wacco would be beyond appropriate.
    I encourage anybody who receives private email from a wacco member they feel is inappropriate to contact me. I take this very seriously.

30. TopTop #30
    MsTerry

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Barry: View Post
    I encourage anybody who receives private email from a wacco member they feel is inappropriate to contact me. I take this very seriously.
    Except when it is directed at me.
    You feel I deserve it no matter what they say or threaten me with.
    No protection for the hell-bound ones on wacco.