Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Zorch

Inventors Campground for homeless

A tardy response to your original post but here is a clue to other definitions of spirituality

I sent as a personal reply but it came back so here its as a general post

d-cat I love it, New Hampshire, Washington State, States Sovereignty,

I had to stop reading to comment to you. All this is Glorious, the words are as they should be, but we know the ways that power can assert its sophistication's and in effect nullify by the procedural complexities honed to a fine art... To me power is in people who have nothing better to do than rise to the occasion because they have no other greater duties, where this comes down to where the rubber meets the road is in a new style of living... The pieces are even more available now than when I first began imagining this.

When Government allows a system to be that requires most of all individuals energy be devoted to simply providing a roof over their heads and the food to live with.. then any hope goes to the hope of what happens in court...

as an alternative... considering the abundance of new homeless, those who had been the work horses of the past Economy, slaving away, believing that good work would save the day... yet proved false.

So now imagine the new population of all who require shelter and sustenance and must humble themselves at the soup kitchen line...begging for an inside night...

So I propose our own version of Homeland Security, and FEMA

A style of Campground that would thrill an inventor, and on site cottage industry made for a particular people.

the dollars work out this way...State campgrounds can rent sites at $25 a night for 8 people for two weeks, that's $3 a night for rent, $ 90 a month.

So PG$E is going to be charging us for the research to capture energy from Ocean waves and then charge us for it also in business as usual style, well we here in Sonoma County have our own coasts and campgrounds and inventors and rustic sorts who thrill at making primitive arrangements quite elegant...

along these lines will rise people who's previous schedule left them stranded on a sand bar and enchanted at how little money it really takes to live well when you aren't carrying the load of those whose daily bread come from making laws...

Let me introduce myself d-cat, I'm treecat

Its time for an experiment of an Inventors Campground to provide for the burgeoning numbers of those who have lost their position and now are deperate...and so, lets make up something that's worth believing in...

I have talents

Quote Posted in reply to the post by mykil: View Post
    PIFF* Let he good times begin! Thank you for pointing out my simplicity MzT. I have achieved total accomplishments in knowing I have made my life as simple as one possibly can while enjoying every moment in every sense in this time. I was prepared for your intuitions and have been aware you would chime in at any given moment setting me straight, all the while knowing you would or maybe could not let yourself open up enough to tell us all what spirituality means to you! Can you? Without being your usual self and answering a question with a short question like you alwayz do? Is there more to life than just meditating on a hill, in a monetary, in Tibet? Or, in a Buddhist Temple in the city? No MzT. I will not take your quote as to what my spiritually is without you truly telling me what yours is and where your path lies. I don’t have to!
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    babaruss

Re: Inventors Campground for homeless

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Zorch: View Post
    Its time for an experiment of an Inventors Campground to provide for the burgeoning numbers of those who have lost their position and now are desperate...and so, lets make up something that's worth believing in...I have talents....

Tree-Cat
    What you are suggesting is is a fantastic idea, and is unquestionably needed here.
    I would suggest that you add to your community of 'community creators' someone who can handle yet another type of cat... 'County Bureau-Cats.

Many well thought out and maintained, homeless, camps have been torn down in this county...just as fast as they were located.
    The most recent that I am familiar with was in Guerneville.
    A well meaning person, impressed with the camp, and supportive of creative homeless solutions, decided to tell the local newspaper about it. The county promptly moved in and destroyed it.

Ten or so years back I joined an attempt to create something roughly akin to what you suggest.
    The idea was for homeless people to do volunteer work to aid the frail elderly living on fixed incomes.

Those who volunteered were to be given first pick at jobs called in to a local community homeless service center.
    The service center would provide a warm dry meeting place.
    It would also provide a space for socialization, one where food, clothing, and jobs were provided.
    Thus the homeless were given an opportunity to be of service to other needy members of the community as well as having some of their own needs met

After untold meetings with interested county residents, business people, sheriffs dept. representative, fire dept. rep, the whole thing collapsed.
    Not one wished become involved with this project without an insurance umbrella broad enough to protect board members from being sued should something go awry.

As an aside...today the public toilets in that particular area are locked as they have been for many many years (due to both lack of will, and funds to maintain the toilets) which leaves homeless to use bushes to relieve themselves.

We have an abundance of creative, caring, people in this County.
    Building, locating, and producing, safe home/camp sites, or developing creative ways of sustaining those camps and their inhabitants
    seems to me not to be the problem.

Without the County will for these site/camp/projects to exist.
    Without the appropriate insurance.
    I doubt these projects will ever come about.
    Then again perhaps my level of creativity and trust needs to be elevated.
    Where it comes to ideas such as yours Tree-Cat I welcome being proved wrong.
    Russ
    Last edited by babaruss; 02-07-2009 at 11:42 PM.

3. TopTop #3
    MsTerry

Part of the problem is that the mentally ill have been homeless since the Reagan era. It is hard to maintain a clean site when there are elements that don't care, can't care or won't care.
    Last edited by Barry; 02-12-2009 at 11:02 AM.

4. TopTop #4
    Hot Compost

Quote Posted in reply to the post by MsTerry: View Post
    Part of the problem is that the mentally ill have been homeless since the Reagan era. It is hard to maintain a clean site when there are elements that don't care, can't care or won't care.
    i made a personal choice to "camp out" for about 5 weeks in 2005, and a few times in 2006.

personally i would like to see land allocated for homeless people, analogous to the "40 acres and a mule" that i think was given to some former slaves after the Civil War.

though i'm not homeless, i'd be happy with .4 acres.

if i needed to, i could camp out on the Santa Rosa Junior College campus, because i know places that are hidden away.

i think the basic idea for people who are homeless is to be discreet. i know that's easier said than done, but, as long as encampments are criminalized, and homeless shelters have a policy of rousting people at 6 AM in the morning, and the cops are giving tickets to people who sleep in their cars, then part of being homeless successfully involves treating it as a long camping trip - and finding sleeping places that are safe and hidden away.

i think one good option is for places like churches to "adopt" a homeless person or 2 and give them express written permission to stay on the church premises at night, and to notify the police accordingly.

there's a shelter in the Santa Barbara area that does this and they have dozens of people sleeping in their cars every night, on their premises, hassle-free.

maybe one way to approach it is to sponsor a measure that re-legalizes homelessness in Santa Rosa, telling the police "we refuse to pay your salary as long as you are hassling peaceful civil homeless people".

5. TopTop #5
    MsTerry

HC, Your post is reasonable. your ideas are reasonable, the only problem is that some Homeless are not reasonable, and they ruin it for everybody else.
    I agree, sleeping in your own car should be a right, not a crime.
    Once again, some unreasonable people ruined it for everyone.
    The homeless people that I know, living out of their car, stay to themselves, don't make a mess, and try to be inconspicuous.
    Anything remotely organized will have to be policed by someone, and then comes the liability issue in to place.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Hot Compost: View Post
    i made a personal choice to "camp out" for about 5 weeks in 2005, and a few times in 2006.

personally i would like to see land allocated for homeless people, analogous to the "40 acres and a mule" that i think was given to some former slaves after the Civil War.

if i needed to, i could camp out on the Santa Rosa Junior College campus, because i know places that are hidden away.

i think the basic idea for people who are homeless is to be discreet. i know that's easier said than done, but, as long as encampments are criminalized, and homeless shelters have a policy of rousting people at 6 AM in the morning, and the cops are giving tickets to people who sleep in their cars, then part of being homeless successfully involves treating it as a long camping trip - and finding sleeping places that are safe and hidden away.

i think one good option is for places like churches to "adopt" a homeless person or 2 and give them express written permission to stay on the church premises at night, and to notify the police accordingly.

there's a shelter in the Santa Barbara area that does this and they have dozens of people sleeping in their cars every night, on their premises, hassle-free.

maybe one way to approach it is to sponsor a measure that re-legalizes homelessness in Santa Rosa, telling the police "we refuse to pay your salary as long as you are hassling peaceful civil homeless people".

6. TopTop #6
    Photoguy

This idea, or some form of it is 100% necessary. The problems associated with it are very real in regard to zoning, policing etc. Very soon, lets say within 6 months, the massive depression that is coming at us will be here. Police, fire and city services will no longer exist as we know them. That takes care of the zoning, no police = no enforcement. The real questions will be much more basic, how will the homeless camps of educated formerly middle class people protect themselves? How will resources be shared? How will we eat during the winter months, will FEMA camps be more desirable than alternatives with the health care, food and clothing they will provide? The real difference between the Obama presidency and a republican one is these camps may be optional and will have schools for the education of the new homeless population. This is real, its coming, don't be surprised!

7. TopTop #7
    babaruss

This time I think you may have missed something Ms Terry.
    I was citing camps/sites that were well maintained (albeit illegal) and citing the 'fraidy'-cat mentality re; fear of law suits and financial liability for sponsoring such places.

The fact that R.R. did much to create the mentally ill homeless population
    adrift and lost in our communities is a useless non-point at this point of the discussion.

The issue of mentally ill, homeless people, wandering about dangerously lost, and their need to be incorporated into functioning homeless communities might be a better point of focus.

I've seen an impressive leadership established in some of the homeless camps I have visited over the years.
    'Leadership' was established by the people living there.
    Many of the 'leaders' were Vietnam era vets.
    Camps sizes were kept small and low key.
    Everyone, regardless of how mentally disadvantaged, did something to keep the place clean, and low key.
    All of this leads me to believe such camps can be set up on a similar scale somewhere somehow and that's why I bit on the bait Zorch tossed into this community pond.
    Russ

8. TopTop #8
    MsTerry

I think we agree that the key to success for a homeless-camp is low numbers and low profile,
    I like your proposal for the mentally challenged to have "their need to be incorporated into functioning homeless communities might be a better point of focus." But how realistic is it to see this happen within a structure that is based on I like you/ I like you not?
    ALL the homeless will still need a place to sleep, it would be wise to allow this to manifest legally or illegally.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by babaruss: View Post
    This time I think you may have missed something Ms Terry.
    I was citing camps/sites that were well maintained (albeit illegal) and citing the 'fraidy'-cat mentality re; fear of law suits and financial liability for sponsoring such places.

The fact that R.R. did much to create the mentally ill homeless population
    adrift and lost in our communities is a useless non-point at this point of the discussion.

The issue of mentally ill, homeless people, wandering about dangerously lost, and their need to be incorporated into functioning homeless communities might be a better point of focus.

I've seen an impressive leadership established in some of the homeless camps I have visited over the years.
    'Leadership' was established by the people living there.
    Many of the 'leaders' were Vietnam era vets.
    Camps sizes were kept small and low key.
    Everyone, regardless of how mentally disadvantaged, did something to keep the place clean, and low key.
    All of this leads me to believe such camps can be set up on a similar scale somewhere somehow and that's why I bit on the bait Zorch tossed into this community pond.
    Russ

9. TopTop #9
    babaruss

I think we agree that the key to success for a homeless-camp is low numbers and low profile,
    I like your proposal for the mentally challenged to have "their need to be incorporated into functioning homeless communities might be a better point of focus." But how realistic is it to see this happen within a structure that is based on I like you/ I like you not?
    ALL the homeless will still need a place to sleep, it would be wise to allow this to manifest legally or illegally.

..." I like you/I like you not" if referring to the NIMBY Cats out there, is a major stumbling block, if not a wall (like that one we're building along the border).
    If it is the homeless themselves who are playing the "I like you/I like you not" game, then it's a whole different problem.

The camps/homeless sites I referred to had what seems to me to be a careful balance of mentally ill, alcoholic, and addicted folk in their numbers.

If you think about it ..in many ways we have those kinds of people in our Wacco community. And while granted they are not constantly up close and personal...snoring, farting, and screaming at crickets the whole night long.....we are (for the most part) able to accept them, deal with them, and even teach, or learn from, them.
    Seems do-able..we just need the right balance of activists, and creative folk to bring it all about.
    I think Zorch is onto something.
    Question now is are we 'into' what he's 'onto' ?
    Russ

10. TopTop #10
    Zorch

As to the timing of things coming, unless the city/county managers are imagining FEMA stepping in with the Big Bucks and the Big power, with the amount of brain power and creativity in this county if not anywhere else I'm sure we can come up ( excuse this phrase) with a bigger bang for the buck, or at the least a lot more mileage to it in an experiment of Occam's razor.

I've had this posted for awhile and paraphrased it under " tools "
    at

Sight through the Shadow

"Why do with more what less does better"

Regarding the surprise in receiving comments on the original post here's a very under edited framework that would forward that idea as a novelty in what community might come up with in an intervention to having to have FEMA take a presence

An open Circle

in this document at the above is a reference to Elitism by Velocity as in how to have varying populations of levels of competence/ incompetance talent and want to be talent, it provides a structure for those who are simply holding and those who are advancing and those who can lead and those who still need to learn the ways of being a good crew member as they originate the ideas they would like to captain

Better for us to handle our problems than the Government, as times change and the moneys diminish there will be a higher attention on those who live on the wages of publics money and a higher requirement for what one would imagine a public servant should be be about

..." I like you/I like you not" if referring to the NIMBY Cats out there, is a major stumbling block, if not a wall (like that one we're building along the border).
    If it is the homeless themselves who are playing the "I like you/I like you not" game, then it's a whole different problem.

The camps/homeless sites I referred to had what seems to me to be a careful balance of mentally ill, alcoholic, and addicted folk in their numbers.

If you think about it ..in many ways we have those kinds of people in our Wacco community. And while granted they are not constantly up close and personal...snoring, farting, and screaming at crickets the whole night long.....we are (for the most part) able to accept them, deal with them, and even teach, or learn from, them.
    Seems do-able..we just need the right balance of activists, and creative folk to bring it all about.
    I think Zorch is onto something.
    Question now is are we 'into' what he's 'onto' ?
    Russ

11. TopTop #11
    markwjam

I like George Carlin's idea...use the goddamed GOLF COURSES to solve the homeless problem...where are there bigger stretches of open land ready to be used? how many jobs would there be, for homeless and others, building houses on the fairways (maybe we'll keep the greens for putting, ey?)..
    then, we'll all wear pimpy golf clothing around, smoke our cigars, and be prosperous again...

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Hot Compost: View Post

12. TopTop #12
    babaruss

[quote=Zorch;818 snipped..Better for us to handle our problems than the Government,snipped....[/quote]

I fully agree, but it still comes down to getting local government to allow
    homeless sites to exist.
    Another issue is land. Where do we get land for these kinds of projects.
    I can tell you now that state parks are not going to allow anything like what you are suggesting.
    Maybe leasing an abandoned military base, something along those lines might work.
    There hasn't been a whole lot of movement over the years towards alternative solutions to homelessness.
    Everything I've ready thus far which claims to be an alternative is an 'alternative to being homeless' and is all about using public coffers for those kind of projects.
    'Sustainable' that overworked work of today...doesn't enter into the public coffer solutions.
    I'm somewhat surprised at the minimal amount of ideas being offered in response to your post.
    Maybe such ideas have already been bandied about earlier on Wacco and the thread was worn bare.
    Russ

13. TopTop #13
    mykil
    A Really Cute Guy

I fear homeless folk are more rebel than anything else. I can totally see justification in allowing for a few forties along the freeway where they like to hang anywayz. Although they would prefer the forty in the beer isle! I have seen what innovation and motivation these folks can engineer. They have full on walls and water and cooking and everything one would need under freeway off ramps. They can totally move a camp within hours and I have seen them do it. I think it is way more of doing what they want along with a deep rooted mental hatred for government and telling these people they can only stay on this forty will not work, telling them that the land is free and no one lives there but they can’t use it would be more along the lines of OK we have out new home. Getting into the minds is an important factor this goes without saying!

14. TopTop #14
    babaruss

Mykil..I'm thinking that your understanding of homeless people consists of stereotypes, assumptions, and negative first hand observations.
    Homeless people are increasing in number daily. Whole families are living in cars, shelters, couch surfing, in tents in the bushes ....ah you know what I'm talking about.
    Not everyone out there is a rebel with deep seated fear of government.
    Granted there is a lot of alcohol and drug abuse among the die hard homeless population, but saying that ' they prefer the forty in the beer isle' was a needless..gratuitous contribution to discussion like this one.
    Besides now that land is being seen as more valuable that human life...we can conclude that no time soon is there going to be a return to the 'forty acres and a mule'.
    There are going to be all manner of people who will prefer to go their own way. We can't reach the whole of the homeless population, but we can make an effort to reduce the misery of those inclined to take full advantage of any hand offering to lift them up and out of homelessness.
    Russ

I fear homeless folk are more rebel than anything else. I can totally see justification in allowing for a few forties along the freeway where they like to hang anywayz. Although they would prefer the forty in the beer isle! I have seen what innovation and motivation these folks can engineer. They have full on walls and water and cooking and everything one would need under freeway off ramps. They can totally move a camp within hours and I have seen them do it. I think it is way more of doing what they want along with a deep rooted mental hatred for government and telling these people they can only stay on this forty will not work, telling them that the land is free and no one lives there but they can’t use it would be more along the lines of OK we have out new home. Getting into the minds is an important factor this goes without saying!

15. TopTop #15
    mykil
    A Really Cute Guy

Oh Russ I understand all too well what is about to happen, and if being homeless can get any easier I am all for it. Now let us talk about Segregation, we have welfare for the mommies and children and most do have a place to lay there head. Granted there area few that do not, no family or too vein to accept handout from the government, or poor judgment on there part about how to spend government issue funds, Sad but this goes without saying!

A few years back a friend of mine told me about all the hungry children in the U.S. I asked her what she was talking about, a true little radical woman that was out to save the world, she told me about all the hungry children in our country and she was out to fix this. I told her her war was over and she flipped her lid on me, screaming and yelling and … Now I was one of those children, I could have died pretty easily if it wasn’t for free cheese let me tell you something right now! I can tell you right now that war is over, if you want food we have it. There is free food everywhere and free food give alwayz at ever corner. The world is a different story, I told her to move on to different countries or atleast in a different direction if she wanted to help more. I am not sure she got it but…

The point is we have come along wayz, the people’s voice was heard and things were looking up! If you know someone that is changing ht e world you might want to ask them what they are doing and listen to them! If their job is done and no longer a necessity you may ask them to move in a different direction and give them a push. Some really need this and will appreciate this later on down the line!

As far as the forty idea I think it is great with the accepting that if we do not segregate as you so pointed out that I am not aware of it can only lead to disaster!!! WE do not put woman and children that lost their home because of misfortune on a farm side by side with a bunch of drunks and drug addicts! What is your plan for this?

16. TopTop #16
    babaruss

Mykil you are preaching to the choir this time.
    There is still Aid to Family's With Dependent Children (AFDC), and also General Assistance (GA) in most states. The amounts given are never enough...and in many case not enough to rate rent, utilities etc.
    Granted it's a better deal if you have kids (AFDC) and the shits if you are single (GA) but even that beats a poke with a sharp stick.

I totally agree with you as far as food is concerned...at least in California.
    And please no 'but it's not healthy food' comments from the peanut gallery as that would be a whole different thread. Food is food if you are starving.
    Anyone who can't feed themselves in this State is either completely disabled, isolated, or dumber than a box of rocks !

I too remember the welfare cheese.....also learned early on which bakeries were sympathetic to the working poor back during those times.
    We used to go to The feed store in Sebastopol during that period of my life to buy bulk seed..oats, wheat, barley etc. (all meant for animal consumption) took it home and ground it into flour or meal. Also bought medication meant for veterinarian purposes, guaged amount based on kid size and managed to reduce doctor bills that way.
    Times have changed, that sort of thing is dificult, and actually too expensive to do now.

Times are infinitely better for the poor now..providing they sit on their egos, learn to wait in lines, fill out inordinate amounts of needless paperwork, and accept help from places like church pantries.
    Vanity is one commodity I think I'm lacking. My empty belly, and that of my little family of recovering people here at the cabin trump any such foolishness.

That 40 acre and a mule idea is never going to happen.
    The possibility of a sustainable communal arrangement would only work for certain people.
    Granted drunks, addicts, and mentally ill, cannot possible be a large part of any arrangement which involves women children, and frail elderly.
    However a community which can integrate a percentage of these souls could manage, and be all the better for it.

The biggest problem today with those 'affordable' places which are available to drunks, addicts, and the mentally ill (yep I'm dragging in those 'housed' people too) is that there is no real management, or leadership.
    I've visited way too many of these facilities, read their wonderful literature, and watched to see if any of what they advertised was actually happening, and it wasn't.
    There is nothing for these people to do during the day but wander the streets, glue themselves to the tube, or sleep day and night, so it's only a matter of time before they end up back out on the streets permanently, or in the bushes with bottle and or bag of dope with them.

A farm, ranch, or maybe cottage industry is needed to occupy minds, teach work ethic, and all those other things which improve ones sense of self worth.
    There can be all manner of such operations...St. Anthony's Farm is a prime example of putting hard core street people to work.
    Among other things it has an organic dairy complete with methane digester which supplys their power.
    Unfortunately that place is sustained by outside resources, and now that that source is going dry St Anthony's Farm is shutting it's doors.
    I mention that place because I've met several people who went for the drug culture South of Market in S.F....(walking zombies really) to becoming functional, hard working, teachable human beings.

Guess it's more a matter of find which slot to put who in (should another such place come into being).
    I'm sure I could write more Mykil but I'll be kind since in this instance we seem to be in agreement.
    Russ

Oh Russ I understand all too well what is about to happen, and if being homeless can get any easier I am all for it. Now let us talk about Segregation, we have welfare for the mommies and children and most do have a place to lay there head. Granted there area few that do not, no family or too vein to accept handout from the government, or poor judgment on there part about how to spend government issue funds, Sad but this goes without saying !

A few years back a friend of mine told me about all the hungry children in the U.S. I asked her what she was talking about, a true little radical woman that was out to save the world, she told me about all the hungry children in our country and she was out to fix this. I told her her war was over and she flipped her lid on me, screaming and yelling and … Now I was one of those children, I could have died pretty easily if it wasn’t for free cheese let me tell you something right now! I can tell you right now that war is over, if you want food we have it. There is free food everywhere and free food give alwayz at ever corner. The world is a different story, I told her to move on to different countries or atleast in a different direction if she wanted to help more. I am not sure she got it but…

The point is we have come along wayz, the people’s voice was heard and things were looking up! If you know someone that is changing ht e world you might want to ask them what they are doing and listen to them! If their job is done and no longer a necessity you may ask them to move in a different direction and give them a push. Some really need this and will appreciate this later on down the line!

As far as the forty idea I think it is great with the accepting that if we do not segregate as you so pointed out that I am not aware of it can only lead to disaster!!! WE do not put woman and children that lost their home because of misfortune on a farm side by side with a bunch of drunks and drug addicts! What is your plan for this?

17. TopTop #17
    d-cat

I fully agree, but it still comes down to getting local government to allow
    homeless sites to exist.
    Another issue is land. Where do we get land for these kinds of projects.
    I can tell you now that state parks are not going to allow anything like what you are suggesting.
    Whoever on the local government level that would be against a community-oriented good deed like this should be exposed, petitioned against, or voted out. I think that is where our power lies.

If it's at all possible, gardening space might be considered. Not only would that provide food, but also a focus and a purpose for the members of the unintentional community. Self-sustainability of the campground could be a key to its survival.

Here are some videos of tent cites popping up:
    YouTube - tent city

18. TopTop #18
    Zorch

A call to Arms as if Cupid was made God

This Friday and Saturday have a strange relationship.

Friday the Thirteenth meets Valentines Day at 11:59:59 pm

When two myths meet its time for all mythfits to take notice

So I among them bring this to the general community

in wonder of How Dull care might be abolished

An Open Circle
    of Syncopated Orbits

“…People are suffering, and what we have been doing has clearly not been working. So we can either take risks that are inherent in any new idea or just go on pounding our heads against old familiar—and ineffective—walls.”
    Arianna Huffington
    Santa Rosa Press Democrat
    March 14, 2001

Many of the homeless today have houses, jobs, social standing, yet know that should the power rest in their hands no one would be without, till then those people themselves are homeless. Home to the aware being extends beyond the perimeter of the walls they live within and only by desensitizing, which becomes as difficult a habit to break as smoking, can some sort of peace be found by those who view themselves insignificant in such a vast face of need. Imagine the pain of a broken leg, the body numbs for sanity’s sake. Imagine the pain of a wounded soul. How can they be faulted for numbing out? Some look at the world and feel such huge pain for the negligence and the effects of dull care to critical issues.

Proposal

A New Formula

Academy for The Enlightened Response

( A.F.T.E.R )

Focus

Those incompatible with conventional strategies

Purpose

To create a matrix for the application of advances now available in education, technology and psychology, in the form of personalized contracts that will address the nub of need from which all other applications of care expand to revitalize, inspire and utilize the talents and interests of the damaged individuals of our day.
    (as well as those capable of self-captaincy yet needing an alternative environment for the flowering of their hopes)

Actions towards this goal are as follows:

To create a Vocational Academy, boarding facility, campground and or hostel utilizing various forms of housing, dependant on the social, economic capacity of the applicant at onset. These could range from backpack dwelling units, pedal-powered RV styled crafts and dead cars remodeled into micro-habitats to trailers, assembled by the occupant, first nights camping on the bare wheel base as initial start point for vocational project.

1.the campground is the immediately available option
    a.Imagine the effect of catered campsites at state and local parks: 8 people a site equals $2.00 a night lodging, imagine those on site, willing workers, with a transportation shuttle account available for morning and evening transits
    b.2 weeks camping would allow more grace for odd counseling moments to occur…next camp locations carefully extend, a series of refining camps and the campers become organized units, cottage industry on site and fine administration of chores lead confidence in ones place in the circle

A sweat equity format, legitimate corporate base, personal initiative, and stock holding requirements, contracts designed per attention span, Individuals who quit prior to the completion of their agreed upon project would hold a lower rated stock value at payout than those succeeding in their contracts. Rated stock value and personal intention determine ones ability to influence group decisions.

By an ascending or descending rating of stock according to a succession of project completion, incentive to implement and hold to cycles of action would accomplish the task of enhancing self-esteem, confidence in one’s ability to accomplish, as well as the individual’s capital base.

With the orientation to the mobile formula, a lower budget enterprise can prove out a most profitable avenue for integrating the available manpower now available in the homeless population towards community usage. The difference in quality of manpower between one inspired and one simply putting in ones hours would be an easily observable difference.

Motivating and inspiring those now seen as dross can easily be done working within this formula:

1.Provide immediate personal space as described above-
    2.Determine a goal that has immediate interest and access-
    3.Require assistance to other’s projects till one’s project contract could be designed.

A very tasty environment would occur around those captured by these notions. The availability of a personal zone of privacy and personal possession of a quality piece of workmanship would begin from the onset with the agreement to become faithful to a self chosen project.

These projects could be from something so simple as becoming a crew member on a dog cart litter patrol, to experimenting with Wave and tidal micro-hydro plants, recycled material product development, Trade or Craft Guild enrollment, or any project that had convergence with an aspect of neglect, need, or social/ technical innovation.

ACTIONS

Selecting a crew of people from the homeless population, who have no “seeming” goals beyond the reach of a day, active interests or assets and suspicious to the point of paranoia towards anyone with an interest in them that requires any reach of time.

Taking a donated dead vehicle and swarming it to render it a personal zone of privacy as a micro dwelling, while functioning as a shelter from the onset. Individuals, in order to maintain support and holdings, will agree to daily commitment to its development. As resources are required, time exchange through labor pools would have higher value than the dollars and cents received as cash the increase in value of the vehicles as time passes would be viewed as a personal equity holding when project completes. In the course of this, a full suite of shop skills would be encountered introducing the individual to trades of interest leading to economic possibilities for employment unknown before this action. The atmosphere of this project being that any creative activity tending to personal enhancement is the engaging matrix and that unrealistic expectations by authority being the general cause of failure.

Expectations are held to what attention span is available to work with towards integrating the individual into an ascending gradient of successful contract completion. Beginning with projects of a day ascending towards those requiring a greater reach of time and resources, provides a real enhancement of the individual’s stock rating.

Self-captaincy and leadership qualities would be extracted through the process of individual project formation. To captain a crew on one’s project, as well as becoming crew member to others projects

points taken into consideration as to the vehicular mode of dwelling are these:

That it is the lowest dollar approach confronting the fact that some who would wish to dwell with others but because of either economic, mental, emotional, social, or habitual reasons cannot create the relationships to achieve the more acceptable form of housing.

To those too long on the fringe, it is much more acceptable to lose oneself into the mass of “oppression” than to take charge of one’s condition, so

Offering an open-ended ascension for those inclined, it would also be acceptable that those yet to be online would have personal dwelling provisions, but attached to a personal contract a bit more distant from those actively pursuing their future.

You work with what you have to work with and it is time the progressive mind is put to the task of coming up with an educational aspect that takes more into focus than the economic avenue or integrating into the status quo.

So remove the time lag between application and reward and since we live in a system so dependent on credit and the entrepreneurial instinct, that principal applies here on a daily basis. With the successful completion of a day’s contract enhancing one’s credit account to that degree, the next day’s activity may be so directed as to include a greater scope of options, in line with the limits of one’s credit resource of that day

A bicycle works seems a reasonable vocational endeavor in the beginning of this school’s progression, borrowing technology from Zap motor works, making available pedal-powered water crafts as well as tricycle RV’s that could taxi to a property somewhere.

With a possible campground orientation for those with active projects, resources for projects can be earned through whatever one’s ability to commit to daily economic actions. The low cost factor would make manpower available to community usage. The guiding principle being that all people at whatever beginning condition can be utilized for both, their own and others benefit.

Those capable of working normal hours, with the social skills available to maintain co-housing, rather than rent, monies accrued become as sweat equity in real property holdings. Individuals could replace themselves and opt out with capital, or utilize capital as entrepreneurial funding and continue as crewmembers towards a noble goal

Profit considerations as to viability have more to do with limited perceptions of yields, Strange isn’t it nine peoples rent money could buy so much more than what they would have with each alone trying to rent

Imagine a campground with a spiraling perimeter where at the center are those captaining their initiative in grand fashion and those on the fringe functioning on a basic contract, able to view the difference in quality of life and open access based on a refined contract.

It’s at this point the potentials of a Drug weaning program come into perspective, that in the comparison of ones daily life with those gaining in self-captaincy the observation becomes the persuasion to attempt a self-imposed program of diminishing drug usage…

It’s my thought that those whose habits limit their abilities would be far more attracted towards change by being allowed their position to view those whose habits have come under review and the difference between as time passes. This is based on contracts of:

Decisions self-imposed have a longer life than those coerced. People leaving behind bad habits can have a positive effect simply by being available to view.

It’s time solutions were tailor-made, engineered with the aspect of pragmatic formula in consideration of attention span and increments of success, I.e., a person living in a shelter would have a major step up simply by moving into a dead vehicle being remodeled into a mini RV. Such a solution would have a real property asset with a visible enhancement in equity, which would be woven into the basic contract. Skills would be acquired in the process of someone creating a minor domain of personal privacy. Such a possession in terms of monetary output has no comparison in present formulas.

Humans have creative natures. Those who do not, function below their capacity. The path upward lays the awakening initiative. To create any successful formula for integrating lost souls lies in allowing the entire condition one comes with to be self-compared with those making better decisions and this on a much more intimate level than watching someone drive by or the pompous promos of the look at me’s when there’s really not much to look at

I see a campground with a spiraling perimeter. Those at the core welcoming the viewing of their formulas, inviting the outs in, to refine their behavior as project development heats the matrix of interaction, becoming crewmembers until the time they captain their own projects, schooling into a human family as the day passes. Elitism by velocity means that those on the perimeter by the effects of their daily choices can see for themselves the more interesting things being achieved by those refining their actions solely in the needs of a project’s flow during the span of a day.

By amending a basic contract…
    Minimal contracts get camping privileges,
    Refined contracts, daily, amended
    Get access to tools and resources.

With the basic requisite that one must choose an expandable project to participate, I believe the lessons of the workplace, such as being a good crewmember, pruning one’s limiting notions, taking initiative and being respectful of resources is a good enough lesson to begin with.

Imagination is the key to heaven
    Within imagination, the battles are won or lost. How one sees oneself engages creativity to prove it out.

Education enhances capacity.
    Enhanced capacity encounters a finer range of options.
    Associating with those whose range of options is expanding creates surprise

In contrast the cliché

“Familiarity breeds contempt”

Is proven true. This principle is in line with the nature of the creature: that one is only as alive as their curiosity and so should one live in such a way as to no longer provoke curiosity…then what is left?
    An odd allusion can be made to a scriptural reference, that “except ye become as a little child, ye shall not enter into the Kingdom of Heaven” means this to me.

One thing most essential beyond the platitudes of moldability, obedience, innocence, is this

A child has yet to define the nature of reality
    That “reality” could still be anything
    That life is constantly a surprising thing
    The idealistic expectation has yet to be sullied by the “nature of reality”
    That nothing is better than being with loving people and that curiosity is rampant.

19. TopTop #19
    Zorch

Re: A call to Arms as if Cupid was made God

If that was a bit thick to get through

for a smaller population I can speak clearer

those who would know what a pin nailer is

know how easily something can be assembled together

then taken down to do the finish work.

a practice of temporary Immanent Domain

Practiced by a local people

For Immediate Solutions

Immanent Domain temporarily across the Plaza of Sebastopol

where the farm tractors are parked to sell

The corner there

What might Fourth of July Popcorn in the midst of winter

20. TopTop #20
    d-cat

Zorch - I read the above and will re-read and give some thought to it, and hopefully some input. I think the old car idea is great - complete with lockable storage space (a trunk), and a radio! ~ d-cat

In my opinion, Zorch's efforts here, as well as the subject of homelessness, should be of interest to everyone. Whether or not you feel secure in your job and residence, there may be many, many people of our community living in the streets. Hungry, desperate people won't make for good company. Not only would crime (against you?) go up, but from what I've read, people eventually will fight for food and water, or worse. We have a limited window of opportunity to prepare for this. The coming (engineered) economic crash is going to affect us all in a very big way, and it might just be you who needs a safe, warm place to stay.

The Coming Crisis: White Collar Homelessness
    End Homelessness - Change.org: The Coming Crisis: White Collar Homelessness

21. TopTop #21
    Photoguy

D-cat has it exactly right on her response here. Homelessness and crime will directly affect everyone in this community over the next year, regardless of if they are homeless or not. More people living in less space will be required as those with homes let family members and friends move in who have lost their house. Landlords will have to allow tenants to have more people than are on the lease live in their rented houses and if not they should be identified so people can use $$ to express opinions about this. Credit reports are going to be useless very soon. I already have noticed a serious increase in problems in my neighborhood in the 6 months I have lived in my rented house. We have now heard gunshots in the neighborhood more than once in the last month and have even had the SWAT team respond with machine guns to a neighbor across the street. That home is now vacant and in decline. This is an $1800/month home in what we thought was a working class but nice area of Santa Rosa close to Sebastopol. The number of homeless people on the walking path into town has also shot up just in the last month, even in this cold weather. These problems are not abstract, they are real and direct and growing daily. The stimulus package has little in it to stop this soon. California is about to turn off social services while empying the prisons of 40% of their population. Granted anyone in jail over a drug crime not involving theft or violence was in the wrong place anyway.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by d-cat: View Post
    Zorch - I read the above and will re-read and give some thought to it, and hopefully some input. I think the old car idea is great - complete with lockable storage space (a trunk), and a radio! ~ d-cat

In my opinion, Zorch's efforts here, as well as the subject of homelessness, should be of interest to everyone. Whether or not you feel secure in your job and residence, there may be many, many people of our community living in the streets. Hungry, desperate people won't make for good company. Not only would crime (against you?) go up, but from what I've read, people eventually will fight for food and water, or worse. We have a limited window of opportunity to prepare for this. The coming (engineered) economic crash is going to affect us all in a very big way, and it might just be you who needs a safe, warm place to stay.

The Coming Crisis: White Collar Homelessness
    End Homelessness - Change.org: The Coming Crisis: White Collar Homelessness

22. TopTop #22
    Zorch

Role Models

Who is they who without choking could claim themselves to be that in terms of what the needs of today require.

Role Models and role play

The Inventors work kit

The false promises of today could also be seen as the false profits/prophets that have built the world as we have come to know it.

And as in all faulty designs they eventually break down so lets not have any more patchworks to prop up a crippled vision

I think its a call to order for those who would see the virtue of a theatrical modeling of ideas. Industry moves based on a prototype.

and so my idea of the Inventors campground is to accumulate the players who find a life in the process worth living and be available to much more interesting activity that you might also wish to captain.

There are no walls you can build to protect yourself from the coming storm, you can only have the strength of those who have come to admire your position and also claim you as one of their strengths as well

Valentines day in this era means a falling in love with an idea and so of what magnitude would it need be for you to fall in love with a new hope

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Photoguy: View Post
    D-cat has it exactly right on her response here. Homelessness and crime will directly affect everyone in this community over the next year, regardless of if they are homeless or not. More people living in less space will be required as those with homes let family members and friends move in who have lost their house. Landlords will have to allow tenants to have more people than are on the lease live in their rented houses and if not they should be identified so people can use $$ to express opinions about this. Credit reports are going to be useless very soon. I already have noticed a serious increase in problems in my neighborhood in the 6 months I have lived in my rented house. We have now heard gunshots in the neighborhood more than once in the last month and have even had the SWAT team respond with machine guns to a neighbor across the street. That home is now vacant and in decline. This is an $1800/month home in what we thought was a working class but nice area of Santa Rosa close to Sebastopol. The number of homeless people on the walking path into town has also shot up just in the last month, even in this cold weather. These problems are not abstract, they are real and direct and growing daily. The stimulus package has little in it to stop this soon. California is about to turn off social services while empying the prisons of 40% of their population. Granted anyone in jail over a drug crime not involving theft or violence was in the wrong place anyway.

23. TopTop #23
    babaruss

"D-cat has it exactly right on her response here. Homelessness and crime will directly affect everyone in this community over the next year, regardless of if they are homeless or not."

This is a given as we have yet to find ways to take care of the basic needs of all people.

"More people living in less space will be required as those with homes let family members and friends move in who have lost their house."

My household is comprised of people who:

A) Has job, but because of alimony/child support payments cannot afford current rents.
    B) Owns a home but can't afford to live in it, so rents it out to keep mortgage paid. Has no income due to unemployment ins. running out, and no jobs in sight.
    C) Lost home due to sudden drop in income due to cut backs in building industry.
    D) Was living in illegal structure and told to leave. Disabled, single, and with out sufficient income to rent home or apt.

"Landlords will have to allow tenants to have more people than are on the lease live in their rented houses and if not they should be identified so people can use $$ to express opinions about this."

People can express opinions about such people without spending $$
    Landlords are not going to change until their bottom line is threatened. When or if economy slumps further common sense survival plans will kick in as they too have mortgages to pay.
    If it is in their best interests..ie; keeping their property, then they will naturally come around to changing lease structures etc..

"Credit reports are going to be useless very soon. I already have noticed a serious increase in problems in my neighborhood in the 6 months I have lived in my rented house. We have now heard gunshots in the neighborhood more than once in the last month and have even had the SWAT team respond with machine guns to a neighbor across the street."

These things have been going on for years...apparently they are moving now into your neighborhood. I live on a tiny one way road in the country and it is not at all uncommon to see here those things you describe.

"That home is now vacant and in decline. This is an $1800/month home in what we thought was a working class but nice area of Santa Rosa close to Sebastopol."

Vacant homes draw all manner of strange people to them.
    Again maybe your neighborhood is getting an opportunity to see what has been going on elsewhere for years.
    Not a whole lot anyone can do about such things beside remaining vigilant and bitching to authorities. Cops may hate chronic calls, but by law they must respond. Enough responses and maybe the bad guys will leave your area.

"The number of homeless people on the walking path into town has also shot up just in the last month, even in this cold weather. These problems are not abstract, they are real and direct and growing daily."

Yes there are more and more people becoming homeless everyday.
    But also there is less money for gas, less money for buses, the poorest of the poor are the first hit, and they may make up the majority of the people you see on the walking paths.
    Lots of open country along walking path also equals more homeless people camping in the bushes there.

"The stimulus package has little in it to stop this soon. California is about to turn off social services while emptying the prisons of 40% of their population."

Only time will tell what will come of stimulus package.
    California turn programs on and often more often most people turn on their faucets, or light switches.
    Currently I see this threat as a means of hustling more $$ from Washington.
    Likewise they have been playing the 'I'm going to release prisoners game' for as long as I can remember. So far they have yet to act on it, and in my opinion they most probably never will.

"Granted anyone in jail over a drug crime not involving theft or violence was in the wrong place anyway.
    "

Not granted...no way in hell !!
    To me statement that is blind, overly liberal, thinking.
    People who manufacture, sell, or transport drugs like meth, and crack,
    are exactly where they belong (in lieu of a more humane place to put them).
    I've witnessed the worse things imaginable coming from people who make. transport, and use those substances, and damn me if I'll lump those people in with who people charged with (most) marijuana related crimes.

Russ ...feel very opinionated tonight !!
    Last edited by babaruss; 02-15-2009 at 09:33 PM.

24. TopTop #24
    Photoguy

Russ, I must say I agree that Tweakers Suck!!! My overly broad statement was a bit off course as you have pointed out so well. I don't really want to get into the whole legalize or not thing other than to say prison for users is money poorly spent. Crank is a scourge in this world with only devastating effects for users, sellers and everyone nearby.

"

Not granted...no way in hell !!
    To me statement that is blind, overly liberal, thinking.
    People who manufacture, sell, or transport drugs like meth, and crack,
    are exactly where they belong (in lieu of a more humane place to put them).
    I've witnessed the worse things imaginable coming from people who make. transport, and use those substances, and damn me if I'll lump those people in with who people charged with (most) marijuana related crimes.

Russ ...feel very opinionated tonight !!

25. TopTop #25
    babaruss

I too agree prison is not the answer, and pity there are no good programs to re-educate/salvage those souls who are destroying their lives (and the lives of others) with this miserable drug.
    I appreciate your willingness to revamp your 'over broad statement'.
    And ditto..I'm not ready to launch into the whole legalize drugs thing now either.
    Thanks
    Russ

Russ, I must say I agree that Tweakers Suck!!! My overly broad statement was a bit off course as you have pointed out so well. I don't really want to get into the whole legalize or not thing other than to say prison for users is money poorly spent. Crank is a scourge in this world with only devastating effects for users, sellers and everyone nearby.

26. TopTop #26
    Zorch

How did this post get off into these other threads of other things, Isn't Inventors campground for the homeless for all of us?

where else can you prototype a new community with out the massive weight of business as usual ?

27. TopTop #27
    babaruss

[quote=Zorch;82702]How did this post get off into these other threads of other things, Isn't Inventors campground for the homeless for all of us?

How about being a bit more specific about what you're saying here.
    When did you come to the conclusion that 'all of us' is not still part of the plan
    being discussed ?
    Russ

28. TopTop #28
    Zorch

Across from the Sebastopol Plaza is a Tractor sales yard that would capitulate to Immanent Domain if it worked in Nine Days

Between the plaza and the foundry what lower temperatures might be usable like using Jello as casting material for Good Bronze work when wanted

So old growth redwood cut into 3/8" x 1/3" by nine feet had Bronze clips that didn't need nails to become structure

and a little more flair went into caring
    Last edited by Barry; 02-17-2009 at 08:46 AM.

29. TopTop #29
    Zorch

The math was wrong it was 3/4" x 3/8" as to the nine foot Wands weaving into structure
    Last edited by Barry; 02-17-2009 at 08:45 AM.