Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Zeno Swijtink

How should Obama reform health care?

ANNALS OF PUBLIC POLICY
    GETTING THERE FROM HERE
    How should Obama reform health care?
    by Atul Gawande
    The New Yorker
    JANUARY 26, 2009

Annals of Public Policy: Getting There from Here: Reporting & Essays: The New Yorker
    Last edited by Barry; 02-11-2009 at 02:03 PM.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    Tars

Re: How should Obama reform health care?

Nice survey article Zenos. I was particularly interested in the Massachusetts approach:

Quote Massachusetts, where I live and work, recently became the first state to adopt a system of universal health coverage for its residents. It didn’t organize a government takeover of the state’s hospitals or insurance companies, or force people into a new system of state-run clinics. It built on what existed. On July 1, 2007, the state began offering an online choice of four private insurance plans for people without health coverage. The cost is zero for the poor; for the rest, it is limited to no more than about eight per cent of income. The vast majority of families, who had insurance through work, didn’t notice a thing when the program was launched. But those who had no coverage had to enroll in a plan or incur a tax penalty.

The results have been remarkable. After a year, 97.4 per cent of Massachusetts residents had coverage, and the remaining gap continues to close. Despite the requirement that individuals buy insurance and that employers either provide coverage or pay a tax, the program has remained extremely popular. Repeated surveys have found that at least two-thirds of the state’s residents support the reform.
    I'm hoping the 8% of income figure is doable on a national scale. I would think it should be, as the figure I've seen regarding the current, private administration bureaucracy is that it comprises approximately 20% of average costs. Eliminate that bureaucracy, with its wasteful redundancy, and medical costs should drop dramatically.

Then there may be unnecessary redundancy of medical services by hospitals as well. Does every 27-room hospital need high-priced diagnostic equipment, and the payrolls to support them? Or can those services be more efficiently offered by having more centralized centers, so that the equipment is used more efficiently?

Lots of possibilities to reduce costs. My current favorite is to make the system provided to federal employees an option available to those who are willing to pay to enter.

What I strongly disagree with, is any system which puts the financial burden on employers. The net effect of that kind of system is/will be that employers will hire less workers, or classify workers as "sub-contractors". In today's world, I can't see how we'd return to a system where employers are the guarantors of employee health. It's inefficient, and may lead to a large legal bureaucracy for enforcement that would negate any possible economic viability.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email