Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Braggi

What the Hel is Obama doing?

Has anyone noticed that the "change we need" is a return to the Clinton era, or even worse, to the GHW Bush era? All of the appointments to the Obama cabinet and all of his advisors are old school warmongers and dirty money people. What is he thinking? Where is the new blood? Where is the change we were promised?

Is anyone else outraged and disappointed by who he is surrounding himself with?

Our winner appears to be creating a losing cabinet.

I'm disappointed, but not shocked. Our politics are pretty screwed up. I guess we can look forward to another four years of global wars.

-Jeff
    Last edited by Braggi; 11-20-2008 at 04:15 PM.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    Franklin Johnson

Re: What the Hel is Obama doing?

I'm surprised that you're surprised. Did you really believe that things were going to change that much? The left/progressive/liberal/whatever community learns its historical lessons the hard way.

Now that we finally got our first African-American president, we can finally begin to learn that being from that minority racial group does not necessarily translate into the kinds of major reforms that we need, such as a 2nd New Deal, etc.

Starting way back in the primaries when Obama was pulling his first upsets over Clinton, it was obvious that people thought that Barak was going to be a great president SIMPLY because of the color of his skin. How foolish! NOW, we are finally going to learn this basic lesson.

Forward thinking Americans allowed themselves to be seduced by the romantic picture of a black man reaching the highest public office in the country and that if this was possible then anything is, in turn, giving themselves hope as well. The word 'Hope' was not chosen by the Obama campaign by accident.

Fidel Castro stated recently that Obama as president was not going to make the U.S. a less belligerent nation. Castro expects Obama to keep doing business as usual when it comes to foreign policy. Brace yourselves because our beloved, progressive African-American president is going to blow up cities and kill children all over the world. Gotta hand it to the Marxists when it comes to interpreting reality. They don't fall for the religious crap like we do here. Americans are a deeply christian/idealist (idealist in the Marxist sense) people and believing in fantasies, holy spirits and holy ghosts (just like children believe in Santa Clause) are a strong propensity and weakness we Americans have.

Franklin

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Braggi: View Post
    Has anyone noticed that the "change we need" is a return to the Clinton era, or even worse, to the GHW Bush era? All of the appointments to the Obama cabinet and all of his advisors are old school warmongers and dirty money people. What is he thinking? Where is the new blood? Where is the change we were promised?

I'm disappointed, but not shocked. Our politics are pretty screwed up. I guess we can look forward to another four years of global wars.

-Jeff

3. TopTop #3
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

I still giving Barack the benefit of the doubt. There are two parts to making a change:

1) Setting a course and providing leadership
    2) Making it happen

Barack's job is item number one. He appears to be exceptionally good at it and his heart seems like its in the right place (or as right as possible).

His team is in charge of item 2. They need to be experienced (which Barack is a bit short on).

Bringing real change is going to be difficult for congress, Washington in general and the rest of the country. Barack needs experienced capable people who are loyal to him and his agenda.

And let's be realistic about how far and how fast he can and will change things. It's not going to be nirvana overnight, or ever. Supertankers just don't have that tight of a turning radius. But I don't have any doubt that he is going turn it as fast as possible/feasible and that can be maintained and embraced.

Barack and the country can't afford OJT and newbie fumbles at this point.

He seems exceptionally clear headed and focused and continues to embrace the themes of his campaign. My faith remains undiminished.

4. TopTop #4
    zenekar

Re: What the Hell is Obama doing?

If you were expecting something else, I understand your disappointment.

The ruling elite are clever, knowing that US citizens are naive and easily deceived into believing that electing a "leader" selected for the election by the elite, is democracy. Most likely, Wacco folks know that the media is owned and sponsored by the same corporations disguised as individuals and vice-versa, that control the wealth of this nation.

Any candidate who seriously opposes the elite's corporate sponsored candidates is shut out, i.e. Ralph Nader, Cynthia McKinney. If Nader and McKinney had been ALLOWED to address the real issues with equal media attention to the corporate candidates, it would be clearly apparent who is really representing the people's interests over the interest of the ruling class.

Obama is not alone in making choices for the Cabinet. The ruling class is there with him, to make sure that their wealth will be secure by positioning people in the Cabinet who will execute their appointment according to the needs of the elite.

Yes, we've been bamboozled again and will continue to be until people wake-up to the reality of US politricks. Government of, by and for the people will occur when we, the people, stop being spectators and decide it's time to act.

Attila
    ---

-Jeff

5. TopTop #5
    Photoguy

We can only hope the "change" brings us back to a point as good as the Clinton era(could have been). Clinton was prevented from doing quite a few things because he had a Republican congress, and he couldn't stay out of trouble. Obama will not have the discipline problem and he has a Democratic congress. You bet that will mean change. You didn't think he would bring in the guy from his local food co-op to run the Department of Agriculture, a bicycle shop owner to run D.O.T. or a peace activist to run Homeland Security? However, yes he still represents the top 1-2% of the population and his job is preserving their wealth. Far too many Americans are far too ignorant to actually take charge of our "democracy". Obama running the U.S. during the coming great depression will mean the FEMA camps will be filled voluntarily instead of at gunpoint and we will end up with some form of health care. There are good monarchs and bad ones, I think Obama might end up being a much better monarch than any republican alternative.
    Last edited by Photoguy; 11-20-2008 at 12:23 PM.

6. TopTop #6
    zenekar

Nice dream, Photoguy. Here is a reality check:
    https://www.huffingtonpost.com/news/obama-cabinet

These are power-brokers not of our local co-op variety. Remember, Clinton is responsible for NAFTA, welfare deform, bombing of Yugoslavia and Iraq -- causing half-million children deaths with the embargo of Iraq, etc. There is an unstated US imperialist policy by the ruling elite regardless of who sits in the White(man's)house.

Attila
    ---

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Photoguy: View Post
    We can only hope the "change" brings us back to a point as good as the Clinton era(could have been). Clinton was prevented from doing quite a few things because he had a Republican congress, and he couldn't stay out of trouble. Obama will not have the discipline problem and he has a Democratic congress. You bet that will mean change. You didn't think he would bring in the guy from his local food co-op to run the Department of Agriculture, a bicycle shop owner to run D.O.T. or a peace activist to run Homeland Security? However, yes he still represents the top 1-2% of the population and his job is preserving their wealth. Far too many Americans are far too ignorant to actually take charge of our "democracy". Obama running the U.S. during the coming great depression will mean the FEMA camps will be filled voluntarily instead of at gunpoint and we will end up with some form of health care. There are good monarchs and bad ones, I think Obama might end up being a much better monarch than any republican alternative.

7. TopTop #7
    Photoguy

Like I said his job is to protect the wealth of the top 1% or 2% of the population. He is the other side of that same coin, I just suspect he will be more competent and possibly less fascist in his stewardship.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by zenekar: View Post
    Nice dream, Photoguy. Here is a reality check:
    https://www.huffingtonpost.com/news/obama-cabinet

These are power-brokers not of our local co-op variety. Remember, Clinton is responsible for NAFTA, welfare deform, bombing of Yugoslavia and Iraq -- causing half-million children deaths with the embargo of Iraq, etc. There is an unstated US imperialist policy by the ruling elite regardless of who sits in the White(man's)house.

Attila
    ---

8. TopTop #8
    Braggi

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Franklin Johnson: View Post
    I'm surprised that you're surprised. Did you really believe that things were going to change that much? The left/progressive/liberal/whatever community learns its historical lessons the hard way. ...
    I'm not surprised at all. Disappointed, but not surprised. It's exactly what I expected. I just want to be sure I'm not the only one noticing.

This is an area where Obama could be slipping in a little "change" almost on the sly, if he was careful. Fact is, he's not giving us the "change we need" or even the change we expect. There is a chance he can give all these nice folks the kind of direction that looks like change to us and let's continue to hope for that. But, for instance, I'd like Obama to let Iraq know that their discussions over us leaving in 2011 aren't even necessary because we'll be gone before then. Pipe dreams, I know. Think I'll light up again ...

I realize he's waiting until inauguration day to start implementing real change of any kind, OTOH, bringing in some new blood over all these retreads from Clinton days would be showing us he really does intend to carry through on his mandate.

Think "he" reads my posts here on Waccobb.net?

-Jeff

9. TopTop #9
    mykil
    A Really Cute Guy

This is why I refuse to VOTE!!!!!

10. TopTop #10
    zenekar

Voting for a president who is pre-selected by the ruling elite does seem futile. But, it is important to participate in local elections and vote for candidates who best represent your values and the needs of the community. It is a democratic process where your vote does count and you need to take responsibility for your sake and for the sake of the community. If for no other reason, consider all the women you can flirt with at the poles. :)

Attila
    ---

Quote Posted in reply to the post by mykil: View Post
    This is why I refuse to VOTE!!!!!

11. TopTop #11
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

While I agree with you about flirting with women at the poles (at least from before I became a permanent absentee voter a decade ago), I disagree with the idea of a pre-selected president. Obama, in particular, was far from pre-selected. You could make the case that Hillary was pre-selected, but she didn't get selected, did she?

McCain may well have been pre-selected by the Republicans, but surely the McCain v Obama race was not. Although a case could be made that McCain "threw" the election, like a prize fighter taking a dive, based on his dismal compaign.

There has been much to be cynical about for a long time, Atilla, but now is the time to put that aside, and once again have Hope, if you can remember how.

Voting for a president who is pre-selected by the ruling elite does seem futile. But, it is important to participate in local elections and vote for candidates who best represent your values and the needs of the community. It is a democratic process where your vote does count and you need to take responsibility for your sake and for the sake of the community. If for no other reason, consider all the women you can flirt with at the poles. :)

Attila
    ---

12. TopTop #12
    mykil
    A Really Cute Guy

Hmmm I really really really tried to bring myself to vote one day a few years back. I went to register, got all my Q’s and P’s in order and when the day came it to vote I went down to the voting poles and just sat there in thought. I probably had a really stupid look on my face, cause I alwayz do, but I could not do it! It went against everything I stand for! Voting for the less of two evils WHO in their right mind needs this! How could I sleep at night knowing I have voted for the less of two evils? It just will not work for me EVER! Maybe if they change the way things are done in the future and at least try to make things better. I said it before, we have tried this way fro a couple of hundred years and it is not working, we need to try something else! A shared presidency maybe? One demo One republican ya there we go! Hell I don’t even care anymore that is how bad it is! Obama will be tainted by the time he leaves office and probably will not be able to look in the mirror! I hope I am wrong but… Please don't get me wrong, I am glad at least most still have a strong stomach , just not me!

13. TopTop #13
    babaruss

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Barry: View Post
    I still giving Barack the benefit of the doubt. There are two parts to making a change:

1) Setting a course and providing leadership
    2) Making it happen

Barack's job is item number one. He appears to be exceptionally good at it and his heart seems like its in the right place (or as right as possible).

His team is in charge of item 2. They need to be experienced (which Barack is a bit short on).

Bringing real change is going to be difficult for congress, Washington in general and the rest of the country. Barack needs experienced capable people who are loyal to him and his agenda.

And let's be realistic about how far and how fast he can and will change things. It's not going to be nirvana overnight, or ever. Supertankers just don't have that tight of a turning radius. But I don't have any doubt that he is going turn it as fast as possible/feasible and that can be maintained and embraced.

Barack and the country can't afford OJT and newbie fumbles at this point.

He seems exceptionally clear headed and focused and continues to embrace the themes of his campaign. My faith remains undiminished.

I believe Obama is doing things right.

I'm always disappointed at the venom so many people spew out because their morning wishes have not come true by the time the sun sets.

I've lived way too long, and fought for one hell of a lot of very unpopular causes.

In that process I learned the one thing that many young people can't grasp.
    Change...if it is to meaningful at all, does not come about as a result of a vote. The vote is only a tiny fragment of a long and arduous process...a very time consuming, and infinitely frustrating process (especially for the 'I deserve it now, and want it now' crowd.

We don't 'deserve' a damned thing. It is by trial and error that we as a people have arrived at the place we are at now.
    The constitution however abused it has been in recent years, did not just happen. Most of the things we 'rights' hold dear today were a culmination of years of heartbreaking struggle, and painstaking negotiation.

If you never grew up poor, with out the luxury of welfare, food stamps,have ...or lived with predudice, violence, and similar abuses, then you won't understand how far we have come.

The way this country has evolved (just since I was born) has been amazing.

Sure people through out history have done (and still do) ugly things...but really when have they not ?
    It is also true that people do loving, intelligent, and kind things).

Many of the things which people accept as being their 'God given rights' today were not heard of when I was growing up..in my father's time life was even harsher. no need to keep going back in time to make my point.

I've seen what I've seen, and know what I know, everything is steadily moving forward.... albeit frog in the well style...(up a bit back a bit).

I remember when they first started crying to 'give peace a chance'.
    The world as a whole hasn't managed that yet...so maybe that's another clue to the time factor where change is involved.

Obama has at least demonstrated how to be peaceful, calm, and focused (as well as uncommonly courteous) through out this whole tedious election process.
    Witnessing that was more than enough for me put me at ease accept the idea that he is the right choice for the office of President.
    Russ

14. TopTop #14
    metimeesthetics

Hear, hear, Barry.

Franklin and the other bashers,

Give the guy a chance, why don't you? He's not even in office yet, and people who supported him a few short weeks ago are already aiming to throw him under the bus. Talk about fair weather fans!

He is inheriting 30 years of deregulation, greed and self-interest. It is going to be a long, difficult job to climb out of the abyss we find ourselves in, and it will not be accomplished in six months, one year or even (I fear) a single term. His heart and his spirit are in the right place so why don't we, as a nation, suck it up and support him, instead of verbally thrashing him before he is even officially the Prez.

If you are so concerned, quit writing and start protesting. Part of the reason we are all in this mess is that we, as a nation, are too apathetic to actually DO anything that requires more effort than a vote (or an opinion expressed from the safety of our computers, myself included), to force our elected representatives to hear us and take heed of what we, the people, think and want. Write your congressperson, write your mayor, write your state rep, write the speaker of the house, write the president. Or go march.

The war in Vietnam was ended partially on the strengths of the protests. The Civil Rights movement gained momentum because of protests. It amazes me that this generation has few who are willing to put there actions where their mouths, or keypads, are. As my 12th grade government teacher said repeatedly, "You can't b*tch if you do not participate."

15. TopTop #15
    Mrs. Wacco
    Behind every great man...

No, but he (or his worker-bees) might at www.change.gov

He used the power of the Internet to rally folks to make his win happen. Same approach for continuing "the change". Get involved.

You can also apply for a job in the administration at the website.

Think "he" reads my posts here on Waccobb.net?

-Jeff

16. TopTop #16
    Tars

Fact is, he's not giving us the "change we need" or even the change we expect.
    Of course, when you say "we", you really mean "I". You evidently expected that he'd bring in only a bunch of "progressives", or whatever your personal preferences? That's not the change I heard him speaking of. The change I understood that he meant from the beginning, is a change of inclusion, as opposed to the exclusion that's been practiced by both parties for the last couple of decades.

If you missed that inclusion of more voices is what Obama has been talking about, to achieve a change from the hostile political climate lately prevalent in the U.S., you mis-understood one of the most important aspects of the man's philosophy.

The change I expect from Obama's administration is that there will be intelligent inclusionary discourse among as many political perspectives as possible, so as to come as close to consensus as possible.

We don't need "change" that only involves excluding opinions from people we don't agree with. We don't need "change" that is nothing more than namecalling at political personages whom we might personally not like. That's what we've had since 1993 at least. See where that went?

The Carter administration exercised the "change" that a lot of liberals/progressives demanded in peopling the administration. As a result, not much positive was accomplished for four years.

Personally, I'm happy with the choices Obama has evidenced so far. I feel more conifidence in decisions made after hearing/debating as many viewpoints as possible, not just the "progressive" opinions.

Keep up the good work Barack!

Don't have conniptions just yet, OK? Give the guy a chance.
    Last edited by Tars; 11-21-2008 at 09:04 AM.

17. TopTop #17
    zenekar

When people lead, leaders will follow. That is my point. When we are complacent we GIVE the ruling elite more power. Obama appears to be an intelligent, caring human being. But having hope that a leader/saviour -- be it Obama, Jesus, God, or whatever outside entity will take responsibility while we sit by, is how we enable the elite to manipulate us into allowing our sons and daughters to kill and die in wars/invasions/occupations that create more wealth for the grossly wealthy.

Candidates of the duopoly, like Obama, McCain, etc., are vetted by the power-borkers before we know of them as candidates. Those, like Nader, McKinney, even Kucinich, who speak common sense, are ignored by the media so that people won't hear how they reason and challenge the status quo.

History reveals that it has always been people's movements, not kings or Presidents, that create change. We must engage in "politics" -- meaning our awareness and everyday conscious actions. Change will occur when citizens have the will and make the effort to create a just and equitable system. We can see evidence of it in democratic movements in nations of South America.

Voting in local elections -- protecting our commons -- is an important process in creating democracy from the bottom up.

Attila
    ---

Quote Posted in reply to the post by metimeesthetics: View Post
    Hear, hear, Barry.

Franklin and the other bashers,

Give the guy a chance, why don't you? He's not even in office yet, and people who supported him a few short weeks ago are already aiming to throw him under the bus. Talk about fair weather fans!

He is inheriting 30 years of deregulation, greed and self-interest. It is going to be a long, difficult job to climb out of the abyss we find ourselves in, and it will not be accomplished in six months, one year or even (I fear) a single term. His heart and his spirit are in the right place so why don't we, as a nation, suck it up and support him, instead of verbally thrashing him before he is even officially the Prez.

If you are so concerned, quit writing and start protesting. Part of the reason we are all in this mess is that we, as a nation, are too apathetic to actually DO anything that requires more effort than a vote (or an opinion expressed from the safety of our computers, myself included), to force our elected representatives to hear us and take heed of what we, the people, think and want. Write your congressperson, write your mayor, write your state rep, write the speaker of the house, write the president. Or go march.

The war in Vietnam was ended partially on the strengths of the protests. The Civil Rights movement gained momentum because of protests. It amazes me that this generation has few who are willing to put there actions where their mouths, or keypads, are. As my 12th grade government teacher said repeatedly, "You can't b*tch if you do not participate."

18. TopTop #18
    Braggi

Quote Posted in reply to the post by babaruss: View Post
    I believe Obama is doing things right. ...
    Obama has at least demonstrated how to be peaceful, calm, and focused (as well as uncommonly courteous) through out this whole tedious election process.
    Witnessing that was more than enough for me put me at ease accept the idea that he is the right choice for the office of President.
    Yup. Agreed. That gives me hope, but his choices of war and Military Industrial Political Complex supporting underlings gives me pause. Obama has the ability to lead and inspire in a way no president has perhaps since JFK. He can lead his underlings away from the reptilian past or he can watch as they run him.

We'll see.

-Jeff

19. TopTop #19
    Braggi

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Tars: View Post
    Of course, when you say "we", you really mean "I". You evidently expected that he'd bring in only a bunch of "progressives", or whatever your personal preferences? ...
    No, I speak with the authority of a great "we." We the people who were promised a quick way out of Iraq. It doesn't look like that's going to happen based on who he's surrounding himself with. I'm disappointed.

He was elected based on his promise. Let's see if he comes through.

-Jeff

20. TopTop #20
    Braggi

... Candidates of the duopoly, like Obama, McCain, etc., are vetted by the power-borkers before we know of them as candidates. Those, like Nader, McKinney, even Kucinich, who speak common sense, are ignored by the media so that people won't hear how they reason and challenge the status quo. ...
    Sorry, but this is just bull. Obama may have been "vetted" but as has been mentioned, Hillary was the choice of the elite. Obama was truly "the people's candidate."

And remember Perot? He got a ton of media exposure, far more than he deserved. The nation is just plain tired of Nader. Everyone knows his shrill voice and those who know a bit about psychology know he's just a narcissist who's out to inflate his own ego. He deserves to be a loser. I think McKinney would make a fine president and I wish her voice was better known. Perhaps that will happen in the years to come.

This is the age of personal publication. If you want these people to be better known, make it so.

-Jeff

21. TopTop #21
    babaruss

Voting in local elections -- protecting our commons -- is an important process in creating democracy from the bottom up.

Attila
    ---[/quote]

Meanwhile getting involved at all levels of need is grass roots is all about right ?

Working with the 'enemy' instead of battling with them makes a hell of a lot of sense too. That's where Obama really got my attention ! Inclusive not seperate and apart.

Guess this is a good enough place to paste this article:
    Russ

What Next for Obama's Network?

By E. J. Dionne Jr.
    Friday, November 21, 2008; A23

While the nation's capital obsesses over Barack Obama's next Cabinet pick, the president-elect's lieutenants are engaged with what may be a more important long-term issue: What will become of Obama's vast grass-roots network?
    Electoral campaigns, like circus tents, quickly disappear after the show is over. But Obama is our first community-organizer president, and he sees the way he got elected as being almost as crucial as the fact that he won. Because of the emphasis he put on organizing, barackobama.com might fairly be seen as the most successful high-tech startup of the past two years.
    Over and over, Obama has spoken of change coming from "the bottom up," and the organization he built down to the precinct and neighborhood level could be an agent of that change. But how?
    The discussion among Obama's lieutenants focuses on several alternatives. In one view, the Obama apparatus could be integrated into the Democratic Party and be run through the Democratic National Committee. Many of Obama's top aides, including campaign manager David Plouffe, are veterans of traditional Democratic politics.
    Turning the Obama network into a vast national party organization could give Democrats durable advantages that the party has not enjoyed since the New Deal era, when Franklin Roosevelt built an alliance between local political machines and a growing labor movement.
    But Plouffe himself has been much affected by the new way of campaigning he oversaw. His regular video reports to the troops turned him into something of a hero to the Obama faithful.
    Moreover, Steve Hildebrand, Obama's deputy campaign manager, has argued that members of the network include many who are averse to traditional party politics: young people with weak party loyalties, independents and even some Republicans. He has been suggesting at Democratic gatherings that the Obama apparatus might instead constitute itself as an independent political organization -- friendly and parallel to the Democratic Party but a separate entity nonetheless. Obama supporters are also discussing how local networks could integrate into their communities through various forms of service work and activism. Obama's Web site is raising money for the victims of the Southern California fires.
    The importance of cultivating the network and keeping it intact was underscored by an online survey that Plouffe sent to supporters on Tuesday. The survey explicitly asked: "How would you like to see this organization move forward in the months and years ahead?"
    Offering a clue as to what Obama insiders are thinking, the survey asked supporters to rank four objectives: helping the new administration "pass legislation through grass-roots efforts"; helping elect state and local candidates "who share the same vision for our country"; training others in the organizing techniques perfected by the campaign; and "working on local issues that impact our communities."
    Notably absent from that list was the word "Democrat."
    Yet there is only so much distance that Obama either can or wants to keep from his party. He is, in important ways, a loyal Chicago organization Democrat. Plouffe is currently using the Obama fundraising network to help the Democratic National Committee erase its deficit.
    Obama supporters have been moving into Georgia to help Democrat Jim Martin in his Dec. 2 runoff election against incumbent Republican Sen. Saxby Chambliss. Yet Obama himself has yet to make clear how forcefully he'll intervene in a state that he lost. A Martin victory would signal the depth of the nation's desire for change, but a new president-elect with soaring popularity may not want to subject himself to such an early test on not-entirely-hospitable terrain.
    One Democratic strategist said that parts of the Obama organization are still mistrustful of the national committee, seeing it as a redoubt for Hillary and Bill Clinton loyalists. But this view is waning, since Obama, as the party's undisputed leader, will inevitably take over the party apparatus, and he is making peace with the Clintons, notably by suggesting he may want Sen. Clinton as his secretary of state.
    The urgency of the organizational discussion signals that Obama's lieutenants see the 2008 campaign as having fundamentally altered the contours of American politics.
    Democrats believe (and many Republicans fear) that Obama allowed his party and its allies to take an enormous leap forward in both technological sophistication and grass-roots activism. Preserving those gains and building on them is a priority for a man who sees organizing not only as instrumental but also as a way of transforming democracy itself.

22. TopTop #22
    Dixon

Outraged, sure. Disappointed, nope, because I expected it. All the signs have been there all along, as I tried to tell the starry-eyed liberals all around me.

Quote Our winner appears to be creating a losing cabinet.
    "Our" winner? I didn't vote for him; I voted Green.

Quote I'm disappointed, but not shocked. Our politics are pretty screwed up. I guess we can look forward to another four years of global wars.
    Yeah. The question is: Will you let the Dems sucker you into supporting their lesser-of-two-evils corporate warmonger (whoever it may be) again 4 years from now? Did they fool you 4 years ago? And 4 years before that? And...and...and...?

--Dixon

23. TopTop #23
    babaruss

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Dixon: View Post
    Outraged, sure. Disappointed, nope, because I expected it. All the signs have been there all along, as I tried to tell the starry-eyed liberals all around me.

"Our" winner? I didn't vote for him; I voted Green.

Yeah. The question is: Will you let the Dems sucker you into supporting their lesser-of-two-evils corporate warmonger (whoever it may be) again 4 years from now? Did they fool you 4 years ago? And 4 years before that? And...and...and...?

--Dixon
    Progress gentlemen...not perfection... that is the way life unfolds.
    "Here a little there a little".. as that old fart Isaiah once said.
    Russ

24. TopTop #24
    Dixon

[quote=Braggi;75495]
    Quote Obama was truly "the people's candidate."
    Well, out of the ones that the ruling class owners of all our major media allowed to become front-runners, anyway. A "kinder and gentler" figurehead for the corrupt empire, the better to keep us pacified. And yes, he is a little better than the Repubs; that's how the game works.

Quote The nation is just plain tired of Nader. Everyone knows his shrill voice...
    I'm so tired of Nader-bashing. He's an amazingly dedicated guy who has, through his steadfast opposition to the depredations of the corporate oligarchy over many years, created more progressive change than almost anyone.

Quote ...and those who know a bit about psychology know he's just a narcissist who's out to inflate his own ego.
    I have a BA in Psychology and MA in Counseling, Jeff, and I don't see it that way at all. For many years he had thousands if not millions of people begging him to run for President, and he refused election after election, saying that the Democrats would handle the problems. Only after the Democrats consistently proved that they were part of the problem rather than the solution did he throw his hat into the ring. If he were narcissistic he would have done so 20 years earlier instead of deferring to the Dems.

Quote I think McKinney would make a fine president and I wish her voice was better known. Perhaps that will happen in the years to come.
    Well, that will probably only happen if people do what I did and actually vote for her.

Regards;

Dixon

25. TopTop #25
    Dixon

Oooops--I forgot to recommend the documentary on Nader, "An Unreasonable Man", for a realistic look at him, as opposed to the shrill Nader-bashing we hear so much. Remember, when people with progressive values attack one another, the grease-dripping jowls of the ruling elite jiggle with delighted laughter.

Dixon

I'm so tired of Nader-bashing. He's an amazingly dedicated guy who has, through his steadfast opposition to the depredations of the corporate oligarchy over many years, created more progressive change than almost anyone.
    ...For many years he had thousands if not millions of people begging him to run for President, and he refused election after election, saying that the Democrats would handle the problems. Only after the Democrats consistently proved that they were part of the problem rather than the solution did he throw his hat into the ring. If he were narcissistic he would have done so 20 years earlier instead of deferring to the Dems.

26. TopTop #26
    babaruss

Oooops--I forgot to recommend the documentary on Nader, "An Unreasonable Man", for a realistic look at him, as opposed to the shrill Nader-bashing we hear so much. Remember, when people with progressive values attack one another, the grease-dripping jowls of the ruling elite jiggle with delighted laughter.

Dixon
    Wow fantastic imagery there Dixon.
    Keep it up and I might just become frightened (rather than become enlightened).
    Demonizing the enemy is what we do when we go to war.
    Gooks, slope, chinks, japs. krauts, towel heads,... hey what's to like about people like that ?
    As long as those with whom we disagree are demonized, there will be no hope of reaching them, let alone persuading them to rethink their ways of being.
    Russ

27. TopTop #27
    Dixon

Wow fantastic imagery there Dixon.
    Keep it up and I might just become frightened (rather than become enlightened).
    The two aren't mutually exclusive. When we wake up from consensus trance and become enlightened about how corrupt and brutal the "system" is, a certain amount of appropriate fear, especially if it motivates us to constructive action, is an enlightened response. If you think that "negative" emotions such as fear are to be entirely avoided (more accurately, repressed), I urge you to meditate a little more deeply re: how the One manifests through both light and darkness.

Quote Demonizing the enemy is what we do when we go to war.
    Here's a news flash, Russ: You're at war whether you like it or not, because the global ruling class is conducting class war on even the most peaceful of us daily. As far as demonizing the enemy goes, I don't think that's what I'm doing. Is it demonizing to use accurate descriptions (and accurate metaphors) based on people's actual behavior (as opposed to their race, nationality or whatever)?

Quote Gooks, slope, chinks, japs. krauts, towel heads,... hey what's to like about people like that?
    These racist stereotypes, often used to justify wars of aggression, are quite different from my unflattering characterization of the ruling class, which was based not on race, but on their brutal, corrupt and greedy practices which are fucking us all over and destroying the planet for short-term profit. If you're implying that my characterization of the ruling class is on a par with such racist stereotypes, well that's both inaccurate and insulting. It seems like a passive-aggressive swipe at me, Russ, which belies your apparent self-image as a peaceful, enlightened, non-judgmental kinda guy, LOL!

Quote As long as those with whom we disagree...
    It's not about mere disagreement; it's about astounding depths of corruption, brutality and planet-rape on a business-as-usual basis.

Quote ...are demonized...
    Not demonization, just accurate description of something that happens to be very, very ugly.

Quote ...there will be no hope of reaching them, let alone persuading them to rethink their ways of being.
    Good luck reaching them, Russ. Let me know how it turns out.

Blessings;

Dixon

28. TopTop #28
    phooph

As long as those with whom we disagree are demonized, there will be no hope of reaching them, let alone persuading them to rethink their ways of being.
    Russ
    Good luck in persuading them. Here's what you are up against.

29. TopTop #29
    theindependenteye

>>Yeah. The question is: Will you let the Dems sucker you into supporting their lesser-of-two-evils corporate warmonger (whoever it may be) again 4 years from now?

Yes, very likely I will. As Russ argues, most productive change is incremental, as maddening as that is. The kind of change that would truly satisfy you or Attila (or me, for that matter) would be revolution, and the only revolution that'll ever take place in this country will be one we really won't like, because I suspect the other guys have more guns than we do.

You seem to suggest that the only ones feeling relatively heartened by Obama's election are naive teenagers in a hot tub, and if we truly knew the score we'd either be donning sackclosh and ashes or, if we were enlightened enough to vote for McKinney or Nader, we could join you in chortling, "See, it's already November 23 and the world is still a vile shithole!"

I've been fulminating at the follies of humanity in general and this country in particular since 1955, at the age of 15, so I feel a little miffed at johnny-come-latelies who castigate me for not being miserable right now. Come to our reading at Coffee Catz tomorrow and we’ll make sure to include some really depressing stuff.

My own sense is that Barack Obama is a very good Chicago politician, who will play the system ruthlessly to make small gains. That means assembling a team who knows how the game is played -- not people who'll take six months to find where the restrooms are. It's hard to imagine assembling any *effective* administration without inclusion of a large percentage of individuals with blood on their hands or shit on their lapels.

I would be very surprised if significant changes don't happen in foreign policy, environment, labor law, and health care. The war, I don't know; civil liberties, I don't know, though I think the extremities will be withdrawn. I think it'll be less likely that the Supreme Court will be lobotomized. I think in the long run more of us will be benefit from the change than not.

Will humanity in general be better off? I don't know. At this point I'm more interested in anything that will make people's lives a bit better, in whatever way. This guy got 52% of the vote, not 95% of the vote, and he'd be insane to assume he had a mandate for a New Age utopia, with Kucinich as Secretary of Peace giving yoga instruction to four-star generals. (It's fun to imagine, though.)

I agree that money buys big armies and rules the world. But it doesn't follow, for me, that there's an over-arching, coherently mind-melded ruling elite for whom all politicians are mere errand-boys. I see it as a vast, shifting field of forces -- like the feudal push-pull between the king, the nobility, the church, and the free cities, or the constant rejuggling of alliances in Europe from the Renaissance to the late 20th Century, the weak playing the strong against the strong to find some wiggle room. A politician may indeed be in the pocket of one vested interest, but it's also possible, if the person's damned good at it, to manipulate forces. You can surely sail against the wind, as Nader, Paul, etc., do, and be admired for grit, but you'll never get out of Bodega Bay.

Compromise -- huge compromise -- is the essence of parliamentary democracy. If you don't like it, then start the revolution, but you're more likely to wind up with a Hitler than with the Dalai Lama.

That's my take on it anyway. Nothing personal, it's just my day off.

Peace & joy--
    Conrad

30. TopTop #30
    toddwquigley

Obama is doing what he has always done, I guess you all didn't look at his history which is to tell people what they want to hear, and then do the exact opposite. The citizens of Illinois are still waiting for the tax breaks (they got tax increases instead) and all the other things he promised 10 years ago in order to get elected to the State Senate.

Obama is the most controlled puppet we have ever had, do you actually think he makes any of the decisions? He sold his soul years ago, and has been nothing but a carefully groomed puppet ever since. He says what they tell him to say, and he does what they tell him to do, and that's all he does.

The only difference between Bush and Obama is that Obama is black, and calls himself a Democrat, and Bush is white and calls himself a Republican. They are both controlled by the exact same people, with the exact same agenda. They are two sides of the same coin: Opposite on the outside, but the same on the inside.

OK, there is one difference, Bush's family is one of the small group of financial elite that actually calls the shots, so he has insider knowledge of what's really going on, while Obama is not that high up the ladder, and is left in the dark until they tell him what to say.

You people expected anything different? Hilarious!!!

You fell prey to the carefully manipulated polarization of politics that ensures that a centrist never actually gets into a position of power (Of course if a centrist accidentally does become President, they get removed, just like Lincoln, McKinley and JFK)

As long as you keep on being distracted by silly things like gay marriage, social medicine and abortion, as they endlessly bounce back and forth to no final decision to keep you distracted so that you don't think about the big picture, and as long as you stay polarized to the hard to the left or right, you are just a closed minded pawn, and part of the problem, not the solution.

Johnson-Nixon-Ford-Carter-Reagan-Bush-Clinton-Bush-Obama: "40 years of the exact same thing".

Get ready for OBush's third term, you begged for it.