Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Dixon

Obama's Use of Complete Sentences Alienates Americans, Smacks of Elitism

In the first two weeks since the election, President-elect Barack Obama has broken with a tradition established over the past eight years through his controversial use of complete sentences, political observers say.
    Millions of Americans who watched Mr. Obama's appearance on CBS's 60 Minutes on Sunday witnessed the president-elect's unorthodox verbal tick, which had Mr. Obama employing grammatically correct sentences virtually every time he opened his mouth.
    But Mr. Obama's decision to use complete sentences in his public pronouncements carries with it certain risks, since after the last eight years many Americans may find his odd speaking style jarring.
    According to presidential historian Davis Logsdon of the University of Minnesota, some Americans might find it "alienating" to have a president who speaks English as if it were his first language.
    "Every time Obama opens his mouth, his subjects and verbs are in agreement," says Mr. Logsdon. "If he keeps it up, he is running the risk of sounding like an elitist."
    The historian said that if Mr. Obama insists on using complete sentences in his speeches, the public may find itself saying, "Okay, subject, predicate, subject predicate -- we get it, stop showing off."
    The president-elect's stubborn insistence on using complete sentences has already attracted a rebuke from one of his harshest critics, Gov. Sarah Palin of Alaska.
    "Talking with complete sentences there and also too talking in a way that ordinary Americans like Joe the Plumber and Tito the Builder can't really do there, I think needing to do that isn't tapping into what Americans are needing also," she said.

Andy Borowitz is a comedian and writer whose work appears in The New Yorker and The New York Times, and at his award-winning humor site, BorowitzReport.com.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    MsTerry

Re: Obama's Use of Complete Sentences Alienates Americans, Smacks of Elitism

What I found disturbing is how his speech is devoid of emotion.
    In his victory speech he thanked his wife, family and children.
    But it sounded like a lawyer presenting a motion.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Dixon: View Post

In the first two weeks since the election, President-elect Barack Obama has broken with a tradition established over the past eight years through his controversial use of complete sentences, political observers say.
    Millions of Americans who watched Mr. Obama's appearance on CBS's 60 Minutes on Sunday witnessed the president-elect's unorthodox verbal tick, which had Mr. Obama employing grammatically correct sentences virtually every time he opened his mouth.
    But Mr. Obama's decision to use complete sentences in his public pronouncements carries with it certain risks, since after the last eight years many Americans may find his odd speaking style jarring.
    According to presidential historian Davis Logsdon of the University of Minnesota, some Americans might find it "alienating" to have a president who speaks English as if it were his first language.
    "Every time Obama opens his mouth, his subjects and verbs are in agreement," says Mr. Logsdon. "If he keeps it up, he is running the risk of sounding like an elitist."
    The historian said that if Mr. Obama insists on using complete sentences in his speeches, the public may find itself saying, "Okay, subject, predicate, subject predicate -- we get it, stop showing off."
    The president-elect's stubborn insistence on using complete sentences has already attracted a rebuke from one of his harshest critics, Gov. Sarah Palin of Alaska.
    "Talking with complete sentences there and also too talking in a way that ordinary Americans like Joe the Plumber and Tito the Builder can't really do there, I think needing to do that isn't tapping into what Americans are needing also," she said.

Andy Borowitz is a comedian and writer whose work appears in The New Yorker and The New York Times, and at his award-winning humor site, BorowitzReport.com.

3. TopTop #3
    decterlove

Hate Complet Sents!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Dixon: View Post

4. TopTop #4
    Dixon

Quote Posted in reply to the post by decterlove: View Post
    Hate Complet Sents!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Believe you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. TopTop #5
    Lorrie

Please.
    I think it is very refreshing.
    In schools this is the kind of talk being taught and not used.
    I think a lot of Americans can learn a thing or too.

I love the english language and all that entails.
    Nouns
    Verbs
    Pronouns
    Adjectives
    Subjects

6. TopTop #6
    Dixon

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Lorrie: View Post
    Please.
    Lorrie, you did know that the article's meant as a joke, right?

7. TopTop #7
    lynn

Similar to this, I read this the other day...

"Obama held his first news conference as president-elect. Reporters were confused
    because he didn't make up any words and
    everything he said made sense."
    -- Jimmy Kimmel

Yeah!...The world may be crashing, but my goodness...We are at least going to have a prez. that doesn't butcher the English language!

Yipppeeee!....
    ---------------------------------------

If ya' didn't check out the story of Obama and his half-brother at 'The Onion'...check it out!

One of my favorites 'on Obama' so far...

https://www.theonion.com/content/new...y_half_brother

8. TopTop #8
    podfish

I'm disturbed that you find that disturbing. He strikes me as an incredibly humane and caring person - he's reserved, he clearly wants to be in control of himself, but I don't find him at all distant or mechanical. I'm sick of the folksy Bush/Palin pseudo-approachability and shallow emotional appeal. Obama seems to be one whose feelings run deep.
    'Course I find big drooling bouncy Saint Bernards annoying and prefer cats too...

Quote Posted in reply to the post by MsTerry: View Post
    What I found disturbing is how his speech is devoid of emotion.
    In his victory speech he thanked his wife, family and children.
    But it sounded like a lawyer presenting a motion.

9. TopTop #9
    MsTerry

In his acceptance speech, his wife and children were not at his side as is customary with elections. That is some CHANGE.
    Do women have to know their place again? How many women has picked for his staff?
    If my husband is elected POTUS, I'd like to see some warmth when he refers to me.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by podfish: View Post
    I'm disturbed that you find that disturbing. He strikes me as an incredibly humane and caring person - he's reserved, he clearly wants to be in control of himself, but I don't find him at all distant or mechanical. I'm sick of the folksy Bush/Palin pseudo-approachability and shallow emotional appeal. Obama seems to be one whose feelings run deep.
    'Course I find big drooling bouncy Saint Bernards annoying and prefer cats too...