Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    KCB

question - Sonoma tide charts

I want to thank everyone who offered their advice about tide pooling beaches in Sonoma. I now have a great list and plan to visit every beach at some point in the near future.

I printed the Bodega Bay tide chart for next week. My question is... Do I need to add or subtract a few minutes based on whether the beach is north or south of Bodega Bay? If so, is there some rule of thumb for estimating low tide?

Thanks for your help. kcb
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    RichT

Re: question - Sonoma tide charts

Quote Posted in reply to the post by KCB: View Post
    I want to thank everyone who offered their advice about tide pooling beaches in Sonoma. I now have a great list and plan to visit every beach at some point in the near future.

I printed the Bodega Bay tide chart for next week. My question is... Do I need to add or subtract a few minutes based on whether the beach is north or south of Bodega Bay? If so, is there some rule of thumb for estimating low tide?

online tide calculators work pretty well

try this one
    https://www.tidesonline.com/state.php?state=California
    scroll down, pick bodega harbor entrance
    the next page will highlight bodega harbor and list the difference in minutes to SF tides and show the tides for the entire month

3. TopTop #3
    terriann

Your energy and enthusiasm for tide pools is wonderful to see. I know you'll have a great time exploring. By the way, in my experience, tides are best one half hour before and one half hour after the lowest time.

--T'iann

Quote Posted in reply to the post by KCB: View Post

4. TopTop #4
    tezor

The coast we live with is wonderful, exciting, and potentially dangerous. I don't know if you are aware of "Sleeper waves", but at any time a wave 2+ times higher or more than the average wave of any given set, can come rolling in and wash the beach clean. It is best to never turn your back on the Pacific on the Sonoma coast beaches! We lose people every year, enjoy to ocean, but give it due respect please. Best wishes on tidepooling. Just my , Peace, Bob