Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

Thread: Composting
  • Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    helenscott08

Composting

I am interested in finding out more about composting of yard trimmings, grass, bushes, trees.

I once had a compost box in which we put all the bush, tree and grass cuttings into. We added here and there fruit rinds, and sometimes other vegetables. It did not take very long for this to turn into very rich soil to put back into the land.

But if one wants to compost without the addition of any foods, can it be done and if so, how long would it take to decompose.

I am thinking if the MHP where I live could do something like that, it would (1) save the park money, and (2) benefit the residents who could buy the soil at less cost than retail.

But before I suggest it I want to get all the facts.

Thanks for your input.

helen scott
    [email protected]
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Re: Composting

Food is essential for composting. But the question is: food for who? People aren't going to be eating your compost pile, but microbes, fungi and worms will be! So you need food for them! Basically, all you need is a rough balance between "browns" (dried leaves, wood chips, etc.) "greens" (Grass, etc) something like 25:1. Having things in small pieces, moist and occaisionally stirred (not shaken ) also help.

There's lots of good info on the web about composting including this Compost Guide.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email