Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Barry Chertov

How to Disable your Caps Lock Key!

(I know this isn't local but I just had to share this with you guys!)

After trying everything including prying the key off my keyboard and suffing paper under it, I have finally found a way to disable the CAPS LOCK key! If the key also drives you crazy:pullshair when you hit it accidentally, here's a way you can safely disable it.

Go to this website and choose which option you want (Disable it or treat it as a Shift key). Download the small .reg file, open it, and reboot and never be bugged by it again! I have used this for a week now and it works great and causes no other problems.

If this makes your day like it did mine, be sure to paypal the guy a few bucks from his home page!
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    redheifer

Re: How to Disable your Caps Lock Key!

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Barry Chertov:
    (I know this isn't local but I just had to share this with you guys!)

After trying everything including prying the key off my keyboard and suffing paper under it, I have finally found a way to disable the CAPS LOCK key! If the key also drives you crazy:pullshair when you hit it accidentally, here's a way you can safely disable it.

Go to this website and choose which option you want (Disable it or treat it as a Shift key). Download the small .reg file, open it, and reboot and never be bugged by it again! I have used this for a week now and it works great and causes no other problems.

If this makes your day like it did mine, be sure to paypal the guy a few bucks from his home page!
    If you're going to try this, I would strongly advise that you first backup your registry and/or set a restore point. I tried it with the result that I got ONLY capital characters and could no longer access some programs. Uninstalling the program further added the incapability of
    turning off the system by normal shutdown. I had to restore to this morning's restore point. BEWARE!
    Last edited by Barry; 01-03-2006 at 09:53 PM.

3. TopTop #3
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Re: How to Disable your Caps Lock Key!

Quote Posted in reply to the post by redheifer:
    If you're going to try this, I would strongly advise that you first backup your registry
    I'm sorry to hear it didn't work for your Redheifer. Bummer! But your advice, of course, is essential! Backup First!

(BTW, this work-around is only for Window 2000, Windows XP and Windows 2003)

Here's how you backup your registry (that is what is changed by this utility):
    - From the Start Menu, Choose "Run..."
    - In the Open box, type "Regedit" and click OK
    - From the File Menu, Choose "Export..."
    - At the bottom of the "Export Registry File" dialog choose the "All" radio button.
    - Then pick where the file should go (perhaps on your desktop) and give it a name and click Save.

This will backup your entire registry. It can be a big file 50+ MB) so you may want to delete it when you have successfully disabled your caps lock key. Or you may want to keep it - it's always good to have a backup around.

If you need to restore Restore the registry. double click on the the file you just created. Good Luck! Again, it worked just fine for me!