Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Dark Shadows

Opposite of a Love Potion

I have a great idea for an invention-the antidote to love. People spend money and time trying to find love potions and aphrodisiacs, why not try to change your own mind about someone who may not be right for you. There must be an herb or substance that makes you feel unattracted to someone. Why suffer? Just drink a tea or smoke an herb to get that certain someone off your mind. I don't mean something that will make you hate another person, that's easy enough to do without help. Just something that will make you feel like you can take it or leave it.

There has to be something that will do the trick.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    Braggi

Re: Opposite of a Love Potion

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Dark Shadows: View Post
    ... There has to be something that will do the trick.
    In the words of the great Leonard Cohen:

There ain't no cure,
    There ain't no cure,
    There ain't no cure, for love.

-Jeff
    PS. Sure coulda' used it a few times.

3. TopTop #3
    MsTerry

try smoking a lot of pot

I have a great idea for an invention-the antidote to love. People spend money and time trying to find love potions and aphrodisiacs, why not try to change your own mind about someone who may not be right for you. There must be an herb or substance that makes you feel unattracted to someone. Why suffer? Just drink a tea or smoke an herb to get that certain someone off your mind. I don't mean something that will make you hate another person, that's easy enough to do without help. Just something that will make you feel like you can take it or leave it.

There has to be something that will do the trick.

4. TopTop #4
    Dark Shadows

That would make me paranoid, and it also has a tendency to make "the act" seem more appealing.

I found these things in my research:

Chaste Berry This seems okay, but there's no study saying that it actually works. Monks used to use it. My source didn't mention it's affect on females.
    Geranium Can't stand the scent of a geranium, I see them everywhere, but the smell makes me sick
    Origanum Oil - Doesn't sound very appealing-might have a strange scent
    Bob Dylan’s song [FONT='Arial','sans-serif']'Love Sick,'" yeah, I agree[/FONT]
    [FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']Sweet Marjoram [/FONT]Essential Oil - But I don't want to have an offending scent
    [FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']Mashua, an edible tuber grown in the Andes - I'm looking into growing this potato-like plant that is supposed to have an interesting peppery flavor that dissipates when cooked. Does anyone know where I can get these tubers so I can plant them? [/FONT]

Quote Posted in reply to the post by MsTerry: View Post
    try smoking a lot of pot

5. TopTop #5
    mykil
    A Really Cute Guy

This is a great IDEA!! I would buy whatever it is in a heartbeat!! You all know how easily I am taken in! LOL!!! You do know that people in love have the same brain waves going on as serial killers? That is why we are all friggin going nuts. Maybe just a mild easy does it kinda potion so as you can look around and see the rest of the world why you are coming down off the love drug? Don’t wanna bring them down to swiftly them would be one hell of a lot of dead spouses lying about eh?

6. TopTop #6
    MsTerry

OK, if you want to go that route, try wearing garlic around your neck and munching on breadfruit.
    Works every time for me

That would make me paranoid, and it also has a tendency to make "the act" seem more appealing.

I found these things in my research:

Chaste Berry This seems okay, but there's no study saying that it actually works. Monks used to use it. My source didn't mention it's affect on females.
    Geranium Can't stand the scent of a geranium, I see them everywhere, but the smell makes me sick
    Origanum Oil - Doesn't sound very appealing-might have a strange scent
    Bob Dylan’s song [FONT='Arial','sans-serif']'Love Sick,'" yeah, I agree[/font]
    [FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']Sweet Marjoram [/font]Essential Oil - But I don't want to have an offending scent
    [FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']Mashua, an edible tuber grown in the Andes - I'm looking into growing this potato-like plant that is supposed to have an interesting peppery flavor that dissipates when cooked. Does anyone know where I can get these tubers so I can plant them? [/font]

7. TopTop #7
    decterlove

Already on the market. They are called Skunk Panties and they are just a cheap pair of men's or women's underpants with a synthetic skunk tail sewn into the 100% cotton fabric. They come with a little bottle of skunk oderant and you just squeeze a few drops of the rank oil onto the panties and sniff them whenever you are tempted by the opposite sex again. Works best if you have a specific member in mind. Could buy same sex panties too if that's the issue.

Only problem is that the oderant is synthetic so people that are highly sensitive to perfumes might get a toxic reaction to it. I was hoping they would come out with a real skunk natural, organic glandular but apparently no one really wants a skunk farm in their backyard...you know the ole' NIMBY syndrome.

Anyway....check em out....they really work! I think they sell 'em at Walmart now but you may need to get a prescription for them.

I used em for this crush I had for Sarah Palin!

Last edited by decterlove; 09-02-2008 at 10:54 PM.

8. TopTop #8
    Sylph

Rub some geranium oil on the object of your affection.

Seriously, I guess time and eventually a new love is the key.

The scientists are busy working on the problem. Just one part of a article on Love Sickness... also some stuff about low seritonin and similarity of lovesickness to OCD:
    "researchers traced novelty-seeking to a particular polymorphism in the gene that encodes the D4 dopamine receptor. Some of the gene's inheritors may seek thrills in love, Akiskal says. But he thinks the "great romantics" are people suffering from cyclothymia, a bipolar disorder somewhat like manic-depression, that brings alternating periods of intense excitement and gloom.
    According to Akiskal's research, people with cyclothymia fall in love during happy times, often indiscriminately. This undiscerning pursuit of love creates much mixing of genes in the sex that follows. However, Akiskal says, the euphoria inevitably fades, as severe melancholy sets in"
    https://www.fortunecity.com/emachine.../lovesick.html

9. TopTop #9
    MsTerry

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Sylph: View Post
    Rub some geranium oil on the object of your affection.

l
    Sylph, please control your self!
    This is not the censored category.

10. TopTop #10
    Dixon

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Sylph: View Post
    ...But he thinks the "great romantics" are people suffering from cyclothymia, a bipolar disorder...that brings alternating periods of intense excitement and gloom.
    According to Akiskal's research, people with cyclothymia fall in love during happy times, often indiscriminately...However, Akiskal says, the euphoria inevitably fades, as severe melancholy sets in"
    I'm not up-to-date on the research, but twenty-some years ago I read an article which seemed to make sense. It said that when we first fall in love, during the really sexy and romantic honeymoon phase, our brain produces large amounts of phenyl ethyl amine (PEA), which is chemically similar to amphetamine, thus producing a euphoric "speed high". If the relationship breaks up during that phase, the result is like coming down off speed (i.e., depression).

If the relationship lasts long enough to get past the honeymoon phase into a more long-term, settled-down kind of phase, the brain produces less PEA and more endorphins, which are like opiates (morphine, heroin, etc.), yielding a mellow "high". If the relationship breaks up during that phase, the resulting emotional distress is supposedly like coming down (up?) off opiates.

The article proposed the term "hysteroid dysphorics" for those whose brains do a poor job of self-regulating levels of PEA and/or endorphins, so that they flip out if their relationships break up, as they need the extra chemical boost of love to cause their brains to make enough PEA or endorphins to keep them on an even keel. That seemed true when I worked in the mental hospital and saw so many who tried to kill themselves when their relationship broke up.

I guess that's all a little off-topic; sorry. Re: an anti-love potion--I'm not seeking one of those, but an antidote for heartbreak would be nice. My 2 big relationships broke up in 2000 and 2004, and I've felt like one of the "walking wounded" ever since. I'll always love both Lee and Sandra, and I wouldn't want to forget them, or forget our love, in order to feel better, like some people do. Where's the potion that will allow me to remember them fondly without the pain?

Dixon

11. TopTop #11
    Dark Shadows

I think time is the only thing that will heal wounds, but leave those feelings of love intact.

It would also help to develop your own interests and also eat lots of Mashua and listen to Bobby Dylan's stupid song.

I tried to get to the California Indian Museum to check out their native plants today, but got way-layed. I was hoping that someone from that organization would be able to help me find Mashua (anaphrodesiac, potato-like tuber) starters. I am fascinated by medicinal plants and this one seems like it might actually taste good and be hardy enough to survive our frosty winters.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Dixon: View Post
    I'm not up-to-date on the research, but twenty-some years ago I read an article which seemed to make sense. It said that when we first fall in love, during the really sexy and romantic honeymoon phase, our brain produces large amounts of phenyl ethyl amine (PEA), which is chemically similar to amphetamine, thus producing a euphoric "speed high". If the relationship breaks up during that phase, the result is like coming down off speed (i.e., depression).

If the relationship lasts long enough to get past the honeymoon phase into a more long-term, settled-down kind of phase, the brain produces less PEA and more endorphins, which are like opiates (morphine, heroin, etc.), yielding a mellow "high". If the relationship breaks up during that phase, the resulting emotional distress is supposedly like coming down (up?) off opiates.

The article proposed the term "hysteroid dysphorics" for those whose brains do a poor job of self-regulating levels of PEA and/or endorphins, so that they flip out if their relationships break up, as they need the extra chemical boost of love to cause their brains to make enough PEA or endorphins to keep them on an even keel. That seemed true when I worked in the mental hospital and saw so many who tried to kill themselves when their relationship broke up.

I guess that's all a little off-topic; sorry. Re: an anti-love potion--I'm not seeking one of those, but an antidote for heartbreak would be nice. My 2 big relationships broke up in 2000 and 2004, and I've felt like one of the "walking wounded" ever since. I'll always love both Lee and Sandra, and I wouldn't want to forget them, or forget our love, in order to feel better, like some people do. Where's the potion that will allow me to remember them fondly without the pain?

Dixon

12. TopTop #12
    Braggi

I think time is the only thing that will heal wounds, but leave those feelings of love intact. ...
    Good sex with a new partner or partners is probably the best treatment. At least spend that healing time having fun.

-Jeff