PLEASE take note! If you are no longer driving and have let your license expire, and same with your passport, or this is true for a family member, please be sure to obtain an Identity Card from DMV! I cannot stress how important this is!

I am a Notary Public. I often travel to notarize documents for seniors or their relatives, often estate plannning documents. Sometimes, the individual signing is in a special facility. I have to be able to document their identity, and they often have none because their license has long since expired, and no one thought they would need that any longer. Without proper proof of identity, they have to round up witnesses who can testify that this is indeed the person they claim to be. That cannot be someone also signing the document or a party to it. Nursing homes do not allow any of their staff to witness documents. It's a real problem!

PLEASE, plan ahead and get the person to DMV to obtain a legal State ID with photo BEFORE they become bedridden or in a 'home'. Just because they are elderly does not necessarily mean they no longer need ID! It has to be current, not an expired license or passport.

This is something we fail to consider during all the other matters that take place when handling the business affairs of an older person. Of course, it's true for all of us. One client, far younger, had let her license expire, and she did not have witnesses, so I could not notarize her documents for her.

I hope this alert will prompt people to plan ahead. Someday, it might come in handy. Best wishes! Judith Neeley, All Sonoma Notary 887-8696