Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Leafstorm

Let Them Eat . . .

I recently read some encouraging news about the monarch butterfly: Mexican President Calderon plans to curb logging and protect millions of monarch butterflies that migrate to the mountains of central Mexico each winter. He’s going to pour $4.6 million into the Monarch Butterfly Biosphere Reserve – 124,000 acres of trees and mountains that are the winter nesting ground for the monarch butterfly. Kudos a usted, Señor Presidente.

But the monarch is not out of the woods, so to speak. Here in the U.S. we are currently experiencing a shortage of corn for livestock feed and human consumption. President Bush’s initiative to address this problem could lead to the total extinction of the famous orange-and-black butterfly.

The problem stems from Bush’s support of ethanol production, (i.e., industrial corn production), as well as billions of dollars in government subsidies. With corn trading on the market at twice the price it did two years ago, many people are feeling the pinch: ranchers in need of corn feed, and, even more so, human food makers in need of corn and corn products. (Grab ten items at random from your pantry and see how many contain corn or high fructose corn syrup.)

To make matters worse, the White House got hold of a study authored by the Office of Experimental Nutritional Sources, which operates under the Center for Nutrition Policy and Promotion – the fed folks that gave us the new and improved MyPyramid Food Guidance System. The paper, which probably would never have seen the light of day had it not made it into the hands of an aid to Vice President Cheney, is entitled “Let Them Eat Bugs: Entomophagy and the Shortage of Consumption Corn”.

The paper notes that insects in general, and the monarch butterfly in particular, have a higher food conversion efficiency than more traditional meats, and that they are also a very good source of essential amino acids. Processed monarch larvae yields a “versatile, non-crystallizing syrup,” and fermented adult monarch mash produces “a whiskey that can compete with the best from Bourbon County.”

So there’s syrup to sweeten the breakfast cereal, but what about the cereal itself? No problem. Deep fried monarch wings make a “tasty, nutritious – and colorful! – bowl of flakes.” Tired of beef, pork, and poultry? The monarch larva is a delicacy; its taste has been described as “resembling pickled tofu, frog legs, and pemmican.”

What about livestock consumption? Apparently butterfly-fed cows are quite happy. Ecstatic, even. Videos taken of beef cattle being fed live monarchs show them running and jumping gleefully to catch the little fluttery morsels. The White House, citing these reports – they showed the cow jumping video at a press conference – is advocating a policy of total ethanolization and entomophagization. “Corn for fuel tanks, butterfies for food” is their slogan.

The problem is apparent: attempts to domesticate the monarch butterfly, and to thereby control the population, breeding, harvesting, safety, and quality of the food – have not been successful. It’s extremely hard to herd a flock of monarch butterflies, though some progress has been made using Australian swallows. And try to attach an ear tag to a monarch, or burn a brand onto its butt? You’re wasting your time. (But not, fortunately, the product: crispy blackened butterflies can be crushed and used as a seasoning.)

I think it’s obvious that before the American public will buy into this exotic food proposal we need to see President Bush and Vice President Cheney sitting down to watch a football game, while noshing on some savory buffalo butterfly wings, some artichoke and monarch larvae dip, and bowls of black bean and butterfly chili.

Last edited by Leafstorm; 05-16-2008 at 08:10 AM. Reason: spelling
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    enigmaha

Re: Let Them Eat . . .

Thanks for sharing this bit of news, Leafstorm.
    Food for thought, indeed, but it sure doesn't settle well. Butterfly butchery. Humans will have stooped to a new low!

Fortunately, one thing that might prevent this nightmare from becoming a reality is the presence of the cardenolides toxin that monarchs derive from eating milkweed. It's toxic to most vertebrates — a couple of bird species and at least one species of mouse seem to be immune to the effects—but people, at least, and I assume cattle, too, would soon be gonners if they consumed too much of it.

Another factor that might inhibit the mass exploitation of monarchs is the very crop that they're intended to replace, though it has it's own downside for the monarchs. Genetically modified corn, which was developed to deter the European corn borer has genes from the bacterium bacillus thuringiensis (Bt). This Bt-modified corn makes pollen that contains an endotoxin which is fatal to monarch larvae. Millions of acres of these hybrids have been planted and the cornfields often have milkweed growing nearby. When the corn pollen is dispersed by the wind, it also settles on the leaves of the milkweed. The monarch caterpillars who innocently munch on milkweed dusted with GMO corn pollen soon die. The toxin destroys their gut wall.

Cornell University has been conducting on-going research pertaining to the peril that monarchs face from GMOs.

The FDA still claims GMOs are harmless to people but people who aren't in bed with Agribiz are inclined to disagree.

Best solution? Support organic farmers and go vegetarian. Just resist the urge for that next insect snack!

And bring back the electric car.

PS. I've visited the overwintering grounds of the monarchs in Mexico. Being there, surrounded by literally millions of these fluttering wonders, was an exquisite experience. The fact that their habitat was being rapidly decimated by logging activities, both legal and illegal, has been great cause for concern. It's encouraging news that greater protection is now being afforded them, at least in Mexico.

PPS. Corn is one of the most important food staples for people in Mexico. The poorer folks, particularly, depend on corn tortillas as their mainstay. It's their protein source along with beans. Because so much corn is now being grown specifically for ethanol production, the price of corn for food in Mexico has increased dramatically. The poor people, who were already struggling to maintain their meager lifestyle, are now hard-pressed to even be able to afford corn flour.
    And no, I don't think we should suggest they switch to monarch larvae.

3. TopTop #3
    Leafstorm

Hi enigmaha,

Thanks for the interesting information. And here's an interesting coincidence: Do you know who is leading the research at Cornell on the effects of Bt corn on the monarch butterfly? My younger brother, John Losey: https://www.entomology.cornell.edu/Faculty_Staff/Losey/Losey.html

In 1999 Monsanto offered him a research grant if he would not publish his paper "Transgenic pollen harms monarch larvae" in Nature - one of the first studies to present evidence of adverse effects of GMOs. He turned down the money and published the paper. We got to see him on the evening news. I can't claim any credits by association as his older brother - probably the only thing I taught him was how to win at Monopoly and poker. Needless to say, I'm pretty damn proud of him.

It will be interesting to see if the current global food crisis makes Bush back off his support for ethanol. And, yes, it's very encouraging to see Mexico taking measures to preserve the monarch habitat.

My brother gave me some input while I was writing "Let Them Eat . . .". I've already submitted it to The Onion as a satire news spot but they didn't want it. So I thought I'd share it with you all. Thanks for the additional information about the monarch, etc.

Leafstorm

Quote Posted in reply to the post by enigmaha: View Post
    Thanks for sharing this bit of news, Leafstorm.
    Food for thought, indeed, but it sure doesn't settle well. Butterfly butchery. Humans will have stooped to a new low!

Fortunately, one thing that might prevent this nightmare from becoming a reality is the presence of the cardenolides toxin that monarchs derive from eating milkweed. It's toxic to most vertebrates — a couple of bird species and at least one species of mouse seem to be immune to the effects—but people, at least, and I assume cattle, too, would soon be gonners if they consumed too much of it.

Another factor that might inhibit the mass exploitation of monarchs is the very crop that they're intended to replace, though it has it's own downside for the monarchs. Genetically modified corn, which was developed to deter the European corn borer has genes from the bacterium bacillus thuringiensis (Bt). This Bt-modified corn makes pollen that contains an endotoxin which is fatal to monarch larvae. Millions of acres of these hybrids have been planted and the cornfields often have milkweed growing nearby. When the corn pollen is dispersed by the wind, it also settles on the leaves of the milkweed. The monarch caterpillars who innocently munch on milkweed dusted with GMO corn pollen soon die. The toxin destroys their gut wall.

Cornell University has been conducting on-going research pertaining to the peril that monarchs face from GMOs.

The FDA still claims GMOs are harmless to people but people who aren't in bed with Agribiz are inclined to disagree.

Best solution? Support organic farmers and go vegetarian. Just resist the urge for that next insect snack!

And bring back the electric car.

PS. I've visited the overwintering grounds of the monarchs in Mexico. Being there, surrounded by literally millions of these fluttering wonders, was an exquisite experience. The fact that their habitat was being rapidly decimated by logging activities, both legal and illegal, has been great cause for concern. It's encouraging news that greater protection is now being afforded them, at least in Mexico.

PPS. Corn is one of the most important food staples for people in Mexico. The poorer folks, particularly, depend on corn tortillas as their mainstay. It's their protein source along with beans. Because so much corn is now being grown specifically for ethanol production, the price of corn for food in Mexico has increased dramatically. The poor people, who were already struggling to maintain their meager lifestyle, are now hard-pressed to even be able to afford corn flour.
    And no, I don't think we should suggest they switch to monarch larvae.

4. TopTop #4
    flygal

Great Article!! I know all about the negative effects of GMOs and would love to stop Monsanto for so many reasons..... https://coolearthtopics.blogspot.com

Some of these same reasons are why I am also so against the spraying for the Light Brown Apple Moth. They will spray us first and find out all of the negative effects after it is too late! Find out More.....https://www.californiaprogressreport..._spraying.html

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Leafstorm: View Post
    Hi enigmaha,

Thanks for the interesting information. And here's an interesting coincidence: Do you know who is leading the research at Cornell on the effects of Bt corn on the monarch butterfly? My younger brother, John Losey: https://www.entomology.cornell.edu/Faculty_Staff/Losey/Losey.html

In 1999 Monsanto offered him a research grant if he would not publish his paper "Transgenic pollen harms monarch larvae" in Nature - one of the first studies to present evidence of adverse effects of GMOs. He turned down the money and published the paper. We got to see him on the evening news. I can't claim any credits by association as his older brother - probably the only thing I taught him was how to win at Monopoly and poker. Needless to say, I'm pretty damn proud of him.

It will be interesting to see if the current global food crisis makes Bush back off his support for ethanol. And, yes, it's very encouraging to see Mexico taking measures to preserve the monarch habitat.

My brother gave me some input while I was writing "Let Them Eat . . .". I've already submitted it to The Onion as a satire news spot but they didn't want it. So I thought I'd share it with you all. Thanks for the additional information about the monarch, etc.

Leafstorm

5. TopTop #5
    Leafstorm

Hi flygal,

Thanks for the email and the web site links. I read some of your Cool Earth Topics blog, and I’ll read more when I have more time, but I'm trying to learn Mandarin and this afternoon I need to study.

I usually post stories and prose poems on Wacco – you can read some if you’d like – by Leafstorm in the Poetry and Prose section. But I’m interested in food issues, too, and in the ways that humans live with/in the natural world, and the psychological/mythological underpinings. There's the exploitative way and the sustainable/nurturing way of realting to nature, which I think mirrors how people treat other people, and themselves.

Leafstorm

Quote Posted in reply to the post by flygal: View Post
    Great Article!! I know all about the negative effects of GMOs and would love to stop Monsanto for so many reasons..... https://coolearthtopics.blogspot.com

Some of these same reasons are why I am also so against the spraying for the Light Brown Apple Moth. They will spray us first and find out all of the negative effects after it is too late! Find out More.....https://www.californiaprogressreport..._spraying.html