Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Sebastopol City Councilman resigns!

Article published - May 9, 2008
    Sebastopol council to discuss Pierce replacement

By ROBERT DIGITALE
    THE PRESS DEMOCRAT

https://www1.pressdemocrat.com/artic...NEWS/129139625

The Sebastopol City Council will hold a special meeting Tuesday to consider filling the vacancy caused by this week’s resignation of council member Sam Pierce.

The council may immediately appoint a new member to fill or keep the seat vacant until the November election. Pierce’s term ends this year.

Mayor Craig Litwin indicated he is leaning toward appointment.

“I hope that we can find someone to fill the position so that we can keep working hard in completing Sebastopol’s business.”

Litwin maintained it takes five members to do the work that comes before the council’s various committees.

The special meeting will be 5:30 p.m. at the Sebastopol Youth Annex.

Pierce, a councilman for more than three years, resigned Thursday, two days after a raucous meeting at which he raised questions about the conduct of Councilwoman Linda Kelley.

Pierce unsuccessfully sought to get his colleagues to conduct an inquiry surrounding Kelly’s conduct during her trial this spring on charges of vandalizing a truck belonging to a friend of Pierce. He said Kelley’s attorney had suggested that the police department and he had somehow conspired against Kelley in the matter.

After his attempt failed, Pierce left the meeting as members of the crowd booed and a dozen speakers took to the podium to criticize him.
    © www.pressdemo.com
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    Lenny

Re: Sebastopol City Councilman resigns!

I think he went back to his science job utilizing clear thinking and rational thought processing. I hope he recalls how after serving the public for so long!

3. TopTop #3
    PeriodThree

Sebastopol City Councilman resigns!

I am bothered by the recent dust up. During her court case Linda Kelley's attorney apparently made statements alleging a conspiracy between Sam Pierce and the Sebastopol police to falsely charge Kelley with vandalism.

Making charges like this would be against the Sebastopol Council code of conduct. Pierce attempted to have the council investigate the incident, but no other council member would second his motion.

Larry Robinson was not present, but the other two council members refused to second Pierce's motion. Since a motion requires a second, the council members were rather explicitly issuing a vote of confidence in Kelley by their failure to investigate the issue.

I am disgusted with Kelley's actions in this, and her drunk driving, but I am nearly as disgusted with our other council members and with Kelley's supporters.

I would like to specifically call out for criticisms Patricia Dines, Magik, and Helen Shane for their comments at the meeting. Shane gets special 'you are ignorant' points for her quote that Pierce's actions were 'unconstitutional.'

I am disgusted with Kelley, and think that drunk driving and vandalizing cars are pretty disgusting in a council member.

for her quote in the paper "

4. TopTop #4
    Zen Ben

Dear Citizens of the People's Republic of Sebastopol:

I hope that there is some soul-searching that follows in the wake of this fiasco. You must know that the Right-Wing is highly amused by the meltdown of the "Green" Sebastopol city council. They take it as proof that we are not competent to govern. In their view, we are not mature enough to be entrusted with real world power, so we should leave that up to the adults (i.e. the conservatives).

I am particularly troubled by the reports from members of the Sebastopol council that the environment has become so toxic that they no longer want to participate. There are members of our team on the Left who have been infected with the Fox News/Bill O'Reilly/Karl Rove eliminationist political discourse. They believe that their one issue is so important that the rules of civil discourse no longer apply, and that those who take a different approach to a complex issue can be demonized and de-humanized. That kind of attitude poisons the soil in which civic identity is formed. I would like to see some dialog on what West County folks think constitutes a healthy political culture.

Zen Ben the Elder

5. TopTop #5
    shellebelle

I appreciated Sam, he seemed really nice and caring. Returned emails and conversed. Larry Robinson does as well.

I can't say that for any of the other members.

Sad too that Linda Kelley who at this point is a huge liability for the city remains in office.
    https://www1.pressdemocrat.com/artic...NEWS/801020325

I'm not used to places where driving drunk is considered "okay" by their employers especially when that employer is a city and in some respect the 8500 residents! Sad sad place to be in - What a bad lesson for the Sebastopol youth!

I am sorely disappointed in the Sebastopol City Counsel.
    Last edited by shellebelle; 05-10-2008 at 06:01 PM.

6. TopTop #6
    Zeno Swijtink

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Lenny: View Post
    I think he went back to his science job utilizing clear thinking and rational thought processing. I hope he recalls how after serving the public for so long!
    Of course Sam Pierce never left his engineering job. Typically, council members in small towns like Sebastopol serve the public while holding a full time job.

The job is becoming increasingly complicated, with the constant barrage of new Federal and State mandates and regulations.

In the 2007/8 Sebastopol budget only $20,100 was budgeted for Mayor and 4 City Council members, and 2 Video Recording Operators.

The lion share I think is going to the Video Recording Operators, and the City Council members receive very little I believe, certainly not the kind of money that supports a family.
    Last edited by Zeno Swijtink; 05-10-2008 at 07:29 PM.

7. TopTop #7
    Zeno Swijtink

Quote Posted in reply to the post by PeriodThree: View Post
    I am bothered by the recent dust up. During her court case Linda Kelley's attorney apparently made statements alleging a conspiracy between Sam Pierce and the Sebastopol police to falsely charge Kelley with vandalism.

Making charges like this would be against the Sebastopol Council code of conduct. Pierce attempted to have the council investigate the incident, but no other council member would second his motion.
    Rich,

What is Sebastopol's Code of Conduct for City Council members?

Unless it is very clear that Kelley, thru actions of her attorney, violated this Code I understand very well the reluctance of the other Council members to second the motion. Sanctioning Kelley in any way, esp. when done based on a non-council issue involving another Council member, means disenfranchising that part of the constituency that Kelley represents, in favor of Sam Pierce's. It would have turned a possibly completely private matter into something of public consequence.

Voters will decide about the political fate of Linda Kelley.

I agree with you that the conduct of some of the speakers who spoke against Pierce and stabbed him in the back is contemptible. One may disagree with his judgment in this case - he must have known there was no second for his motion and could have resigned without bringing it forward - he is an honorable man and has worked hard on several important issues for the city.

It is time for some wise women and men to convene a conference to return to more civil discourse in town.

8. TopTop #8
    PeriodThree

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Zeno Swijtink: View Post
    Rich,

Unless it is very clear that Kelley, thru actions of her attorney, violated this Code I understand very well the reluctance of the other Council members to second the motion. Sanctioning Kelley in any way, esp. when done based on a non-council issue involving another Council member, means disenfranchising that part of the constituency that Kelley represents, in favor of Sam Pierce's. It would have turned a possibly completely private matter into something of public consequence.
    Zeon, your argument reflects a view of civic society which is at odds with my own.

Kelley engaged in conduct which was at _absolute best_ questionable. ie. Drunk driving, possibly keying the car of the friend of another council member, and (apparently, and this is key) having her attorney assert, in court, that another council member had engaged in a criminal conspiracy with the police.

Those are not 'non council' issues, and they are certainly not 'completely private.'

An investigation is _not_ a sanction - so basically, zeno, I have to take huge issue with your point. Not investigating a person who appears to be a simple criminal drunk who either slandered her fellow council member, or allowed him to be slandered, is wrong.

If Kelley's attorney even hinted that Pierce and the police conspired to bring false charges than Kelley is a terribly nasty and awful person.

I think that Kelley did this - but I might be wrong.

If she did it, than I literally cannot express my feelings about her without dropping into extreme anger and profanity.

And here is the thing: I honestly believe that Kelley did everything which she is charged with doing, but because the other council members wouldn't second I can't know.

Because of the weakness of Craig Litwin (my 'favorite' weak asshole council member), and Sarah, we can't know what really happened.

Thanks Craig! You cretin.

Let us be serious: what is proper about this hideous person, Kelley, who has managed to turn being a drunken criminal scum into some sort of victim hood?

Patricia Dines and Kelley and this whole crew are, well, it is hard to not simply state: simple trash.

The very public (and admitted to) charge of drunk driving is not private. Kelley is a drunken criminal who should be out on her ass, but hey, that is completely private.

Rich,

Voters will decide about the political fate of Linda Kelley.

I agree with you that the conduct of some of the speakers who spoke against Pierce and stabbed him in the back is contemptible. One may disagree with his judgment in this case - he must have known there was no second for his motion and could have resigned without bringing it forward - he is an honorable man and has worked hard on several important issues for the city.

It is time for some wise women and men to convene a conference to return to more civil discourse in town.
    Kelley simply needs to be off of the council.

9. TopTop #9
    shellebelle

I was going to end with this but I think it belongs first.

Quote I think that the City of Sebastopol, not as a government but as a community, have taken a huge risk and liability by allowing Linda Kelley to remain in office. The citizens have endorsed a person who apparently has on several occasions "loss"control of her person and caused another damage/harm in the course of the event and has at least one DUI.
    I hope that the citizens review and assess the risk and liability of continuing their relationship with Linda Kelley with a discerning eye before it costs them financially.

That said -

I thought this was a good question but I was surprised the answer was not online. I did find other interesting things though.

Code of Ethics:
    I am sure there are a set especially after the 2005 Grand Jury Recommendation (see response #2)

https://www.sonomasuperiorcourt.com/...stopol2005.pdf

I wonder where they are.

Also the https://www.ci.sebastopol.ca.us/pdfs...esHandbook.pdf barely touches on alcohol and driving/violence while intoxicated. And has not been updated apparently since 2004 - YIKES!

10. TopTop #10
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Rich,

This is another disrespectful post. You are welcome to disagree with people but you are not welcome engage in name-calling and other forms of disrespect here.

Barry

Zeon, your argument reflects a view of civic society which is at odds with my own.

Kelley engaged in conduct which was at _absolute best_ questionable. ie. Drunk driving, possibly keying the car of the friend of another council member, and (apparently, and this is key) having her attorney assert, in court, that another council member had engaged in a criminal conspiracy with the police.

Those are not 'non council' issues, and they are certainly not 'completely private.'

An investigation is _not_ a sanction - so basically, zeno, I have to take huge issue with your point. Not investigating a person who appears to be a simple criminal drunk who either slandered her fellow council member, or allowed him to be slandered, is wrong.

If Kelley's attorney even hinted that Pierce and the police conspired to bring false charges than Kelley is a terribly nasty and awful person.

I think that Kelley did this - but I might be wrong.

If she did it, than I literally cannot express my feelings about her without dropping into extreme anger and profanity.

And here is the thing: I honestly believe that Kelley did everything which she is charged with doing, but because the other council members wouldn't second I can't know.

Because of the weakness of Craig Litwin (my 'favorite' weak asshole council member), and Sarah, we can't know what really happened.

Thanks Craig! You cretin.

Let us be serious: what is proper about this hideous person, Kelley, who has managed to turn being a drunken criminal scum into some sort of victim hood?

Patricia Dines and Kelley and this whole crew are, well, it is hard to not simply state: simple trash.

The very public (and admitted to) charge of drunk driving is not private. Kelley is a drunken criminal who should be out on her ass, but hey, that is completely private.

Kelley simply needs to be off of the council.

11. TopTop #11
    shellebelle

I disagree Barry name calling has been brought to your attention by me on several posts and you found it "creative" and took no action.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Barry: View Post
    Rich,

This is another disrespectful post. You are welcome to disagree with people but you are not welcome engage in name-calling and other forms of disrespect here.

Barry

12. TopTop #12
    Zeno Swijtink

Zeon [sic!], your argument reflects a view of civic society which is at odds with my own.

(..) An investigation is _not_ a sanction - so basically, zeno, I have to take huge issue with your point. Not investigating a person who appears to be a simple criminal drunk who either slandered her fellow council member, or allowed him to be slandered, is wrong.
    Rich, you are writing your diatribes without any knowledge of the City's Code of Conduct for City Council members.

The Council is not a court of law, cannot and should not try Kelley again. Only to the extent that the Code of Conduct addresses the charge made by Sam Pierce which had to do with alledged "suggestive" remarks made by Kelley's lawyer, can it act.

We need to text of Sebastopol's Code of Conduct for City Council members to discuss that.

Your foul language make you part of the problem of uncivil behavior that eats at people's ability to participate in civic affairs.
    Last edited by Zeno Swijtink; 05-11-2008 at 08:50 AM.

13. TopTop #13
    PeriodThree

Zeno,

In your original post, which was emailed to me, you wrote ' Shame on you!'

You then appear to have reconsidered, and removed that from the public record.

Perhaps I deserve shame, and perhaps not, but it bothers me that it appears that you silently changed the post in order to throw an insult at me and then remove it from public view.

Rich, you are writing your diatribes without any knowledge of the City's Code of Conduct for City Council members.
    I am confused how my knowledge or lack of knowledge of this code of conduct changes anything. Pierce wanted an investigation, but no one backed him up, and then they allowed public insults of Pierce.

That is all contemptible of the Council and the usual suspects in the audience like Shanes, and Dines, and Magik. (The usual suspects who are always out there doing things which in my view damage my town).

The Council is not a court of law, cannot and should not try Kelley again. Only to the extent that the Code of Conduct addresses the charge made by Sam Pierce which had to do with alledged "suggestive" remarks made by Kelley's lawyer, can it act.
    The council was not 'trying' Kelley, they were asked to investigate her behavior. That investigation is not a trial. But it seems that
    we are going to have to agree to disagree on your views versus my views of the power of the Council. I disagree with your interpretation of the law which covers Council investigations.

Your foul language make you part of the problem of uncivil behavior that eats at people's ability to participate in civic affairs.
    [/quote]

(This is another section that you changed from the original)

You mean my belief that Craig Litwin is a cretinous asshole makes me part of the problem of uncivil behavior?

I can accept your views. My views are that Craig Litwin's behavior makes him a major part of the campaign against reason which appears to be the goal of an active segment of our community. Shanes, and Dines, and Magik, etc, are all part of that campaign.

14. TopTop #14
    Lenny

The lion share I think is going to the Video Recording Operators, and the City Council members receive very little I believe, certainly not the kind of money that supports a family.
    It appears to me that may be said of honesty, integrity, and appropriate values as well.

15. TopTop #15
    Lenny

Quote Posted in reply to the post by shellebelle: View Post
    I was going to end with this but I think it belongs first.
    I hope that the citizens review and assess the risk and liability of continuing their relationship with Linda Kelley with a discerning eye before it costs them financially.
    That said -

I thought this was a good question but I was surprised the answer was not online. I did find other interesting things though.

Code of Ethics:
    I am sure there are a set especially after the 2005 Grand Jury Recommendation (see response #2)

https://www.sonomasuperiorcourt.com/...stopol2005.pdf

I wonder where they are.
    Well, Shellbelle, you are up for being my new hero!
    Thanks for that post on Page 3, which was dated August 2005, and THE MAYOR of our town claiming to have it done by August '06. I couldn't find it on the town website!
    Of course, as you may know, there really is no grand jury unless folks, like the ones here, join up! And then it's only for a year, so that one in 2005 is no longer around! But applications will be taken:
    https://www.sonomasuperiorcourt.com/...p?v=gjury_info

And, of course, THIS incident is subject to their perusal, if ANYBODY sends them a complaint about it. I guarantee if they receive one, it WILL BE considered. Be clear, as it may be worth more than

16. TopTop #16
    Zeno Swijtink

I am confused how my knowledge or lack of knowledge of this code of conduct changes anything. Pierce wanted an investigation, but no one backed him up, and then they allowed public insults of Pierce.
    As I indicated earlier I am as upset as the next person by public insults thrown at Pierce, but I am not clear what the chair of the meeting could have done to prevent these insults, and stayed with the rules for public commentary of the council.

You may not care about the details and wording of the Code of Conduct but the City Council is bound by it, and I am happy we have a City Council that cares.

You can based your actions just on your private sense of right and wrong, but if you are ever going to be on the City Council I hope you can see beyond that.

17. TopTop #17
    shellebelle

Zeno,

I have some thoughts and I think I am seeing your post differently but I still want to respond to it here.

1st - You are right we don't have the written ethics in our hands. The fact it is not in our hands is an issue. It should be public knowledge. Available for constiuents to review on whim. Much like the ethic a "Realtor" are bound to can be found online we should be able to be equally informed about our elected officials "pledge" to us!

2nd - The fact that after two rather major events both with financial repercussions - one at the "City of Sebastopol's" expense! - that Linda Kelley remains in office without being "investigated" is unbelievable and ludicrous!

And just to put things in perspective for others here is an article outlining both cases which I feel is fairly balanced showing both sides equally.

https://www1.pressdemocrat.com/artic...&template=kart

As I indicated earlier I am as upset as the next person by public insults thrown at Pierce, but I am not clear what the chair of the meeting could have done to prevent these insults, and stayed with the rules for public commentary of the council.

You may not care about the details and wording of the Code of Conduct but the City Council is bound by it, and I am happy we have a City Council that cares.

You can based your actions just on your private sense of right and wrong, but if you are ever going to be on the City Council I hope you can see beyond that.

18. TopTop #18
    PeriodThree

The details and wording of the Code of Conduct would matter if they had conducted the investigation. Since the motion failed to get a second the question of whether or not Kelley has violated the Code of Conduct doesn't seem to be relevant.

I am confused at the order of things - apparently there was the motion, it failed to get a second, Pierce left the meeting, and _then_ public comment on the motion occurred. This seems backwards somehow - like, why is there public comment on a motion which will not be voted on? But presumably this made sense at the time.

But here is the thing, quoting from the press democrat "Pierce and Kelley looked one another in the eye as he said he would withdraw his motion for the conduct evaluation if Kelley would "firmly deny any suggestion of a conspiracy."

Kelley, however, remained silent."

I can not see an alternate explanation here other than either Kelley does believe there is a conspiracy, or Kelley was too obstinate to give Pierce that reassurance.

Then Pierce left, and people threw crap at him.

Classy supporters Kelley has.

19. TopTop #19
    Zeno Swijtink

The details and wording of the Code of Conduct would matter if they had conducted the investigation. Since the motion failed to get a second the question of whether or not Kelley has violated the Code of Conduct doesn't seem to be relevant.
    One other possibility is that the fact that the motion did not get a second meant that the other members of the City Council saw that Pierce's allegation, even if true, had not the merit it takes to open an investigation in the light of criteria set out in the Code of Conduct.

This makes knowing the Code of Conduct important for anyone who wants to judge the city council.
    Last edited by Zeno Swijtink; 05-11-2008 at 02:53 PM. Reason: Yes, I edited it. To correct an error of grammar.

20. TopTop #20
    shellebelle

Thank you but there is more to this for me.

Everyone makes a mistake. We all do. Linda Kelley though seems to have been making several really egregious decisions and seems to be in a pattern of loss of control.

When it has already been noted (by the Grand Jury and really common sense, and probably an attorney somewhere) that preventative steps (To me a code of ethics is much like an employee handbook - it's an agreement of how one will act while "on the job" which when you are an elected official you are "on the job"all the time!) the creation of the code was needed. In fact the Grand Jury asked that "Council Members" be "trained"on it Sorry Larry here you were wrong - training on ethics is apparently necessary!

Linda Kelley who was listed on the City letterhead at the time of the response to the Grand Jury. She was a in a smaller position yet I am sure she was well aware of and potentially participated in the definement of the "Council Code of Ethics" and would in essence "know" them inside an out.

She admitted she drove drunk! She paid a fine in the vandalism case that though they claim it is not restitution the sum equaled exactly what the victim claimed he was owed. She plea bargained down in essence both criminal acts! PLEA BARGAIN - Now, I know, to most that is not an admission of guilt but in my world if you need to "plea bargain down" at the intelligence and education level Linda Kelley is at then I have to admit I see her as guilty - okay the 9-3 vote against her helped push me over the edge! She did not plea bargain down with some small town DA representing her and do so due to unreasonable pressures or in ability to understand why and what she was plea bargaining for.

Quote https://www1.pressdemocrat.com/artic...&template=kart
    Kelley, 54, a two-term council member, will be required to pay fines for the so-called "wet-reckless" charge but will not serve time in jail or be required to perform community service.

She will be on informal probation for two years and could face stiffer penalties if she is charged with a DUI in the future, Judge Dana Simonds warned her.

After a three-day trial last month in the vandalism case, a jury deadlocked; their final vote was 9-3 for conviction of Kelley.
    I see a pattern developing that is a concern.

I see that this person represents the City in ways I am appalled by and has spent City funds to defend herself. And feels she is due that defense (see the article for her comments that convey this) . I see a deficit in the City which she speaks on in the little video survey and I sit and wonder - Why is she still in office? How much of that deficit is due to having to defend her and to a greater insurance premium. Since she now has a history and thus is going to be covered at a greater rate.

HOW MUCH HAS LINDA KELLEY COST THE CITY OF SEBASTOPOL? Certainly she cost them in the WiFi arena, potentially now in the North east Plan and then there is the legal defense, insurance etc.

Yes we should submit this to the Grand Jury but also to the Press Democrat and the Sonoma West Times and News. This should not be swept under the rug any further than it has been.

Sam should be applauded for taking the risk and taking a stand - THANK YOU SAM!

PS. I've never met Sam and I may not like him in person once I do but these events show - Sam wasn't in it for the power but for making a difference. Again - Thank you Sam!

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Lenny: View Post
    Well, Shellbelle, you are up for being my new hero!
    Thanks for that post on Page 3, which was dated August 2005, and THE MAYOR of our town claiming to have it done by August '06. I couldn't find it on the town website!
    Of course, as you may know, there really is no grand jury unless folks, like the ones here, join up! And then it's only for a year, so that one in 2005 is no longer around! But applications will be taken:
    https://www.sonomasuperiorcourt.com/...p?v=gjury_info

And, of course, THIS incident is subject to their perusal, if ANYBODY sends them a complaint about it. I guarantee if they receive one, it WILL BE considered. Be clear, as it may be worth more than

21. TopTop #21
    shellebelle

I agree - she could have just admitted her mistake. She could have owned up to her indiscretion but she had to be "right" even if it meant lieing and being wrong.

9-3 the jury voted against her - ONLY 3 people believed her! She plea bargained to avoid an other trial and to "save the city from paying for it" hellooooo! This woman appears to be a manipulator and just harmful to the community in general.

I am confused at the order of things - apparently there was the motion, it failed to get a second, Pierce left the meeting, and _then_ public comment on the motion occurred. This seems backwards somehow - like, why is there public comment on a motion which will not be voted on? But presumably this made sense at the time.

But here is the thing, quoting from the press democrat "Pierce and Kelley looked one another in the eye as he said he would withdraw his motion for the conduct evaluation if Kelley would "firmly deny any suggestion of a conspiracy."

Kelley, however, remained silent."

I can not see an alternate explanation here other than either Kelley does believe there is a conspiracy, or Kelley was too obstinate to give Pierce that reassurance.

Then Pierce left, and people threw crap at him.

Classy supporters Kelley has.

22. TopTop #22
    shellebelle

Or that they knew that enough strong opposition wasn't in place and that going against Kelley would strengthen the opposition to the north east Plan!

That those who are really evaluating the ability of Sebastopol to remove blight and increase revenue (shrinking potentially that massive deficit - which of course her trial impacted) were not likely to believe they had to be present for the meetings since this was a "no brainer". But the North East Plan is not a"no brainer"and Kelley appears to be very much in opposition same as she was with WiFi.

Kelley could be the greatest negative impact Sebastopol has ever had financially.

One other possibility is that the fact that the motion did not get a second meant that the other members of the City Council saw that Pierce's allegation, even if true, had not the merit it takes to open an investigation in the light of criteria set out in the Code of Conduct.

This makes knowing the Code of Conduct important for anyone who wants to judge the city council.

23. TopTop #23
    Zeno Swijtink

Zeno,

I have some thoughts and I think I am seeing your post differently but I still want to respond to it here.

1st - You are right we don't have the written ethics in our hands. The fact it is not in our hands is an issue. It should be public knowledge. Available for constiuents to review on whim. Much like the ethic a "Realtor" are bound to can be found online we should be able to be equally informed about our elected officials "pledge" to us!

2nd - The fact that after two rather major events both with financial repercussions - one at the "City of Sebastopol's" expense! - that Linda Kelley remains in office without being "investigated" is unbelievable and ludicrous!

And just to put things in perspective for others here is an article outlining both cases which I feel is fairly balanced showing both sides equally.

https://www1.pressdemocrat.com/artic...&template=kart
    I agree with you that the Code of Conduct should be easily accessible on the City website. Since none of us was able to find it, it seems unlikely to be there, and it certainly is not easily accessible. The PD also fell short, one would expect the paper to have a byline explaining the Code.

Your second point I don't understand. Are you talking about the wi-fi discussions and the NE Area Plan?

If so, I think you confuse your legitimate (even though you live in Rohnert Park) political opinions with the rules of the political process we all need to be able to be part of, independent of our specific political opinions.

Linda Kelley is not an employee of the town. She represents her constituency on the Council. Asking for her investigation because she has positions that in your opinion could cost the town money shows a warped view of the political process I think.

24. TopTop #24
    Zeno Swijtink

Thank you but there is more to this for me.

I see that this person represents the City in ways I am appalled by and has spent City funds to defend herself. And feels she is due that defense (see the article for her comments that convey this).
    Linda Kelley did not use City funds for her defense. You misread the article.

25. TopTop #25
    Zeno Swijtink

9-3 the jury voted against her - ONLY 3 people believed her! She plea bargained to avoid an other trial and to "save the city from paying for it" hellooooo! This woman appears to be a manipulator and just harmful to the community in general.
    This comment makes you sound like one of the women knitting at the foot of the guillotine. Replacing the American system of justice for the Rule of the Mob.

26. TopTop #26
    shellebelle

So then Zeno here was what I read. WHat did I misread?

Quote Kelley on Tuesday described the vandalism case as a "fabrication" and said the $500 payment was intended to save taxpayers from the cost of another trial.

Linda Kelley did not use City funds for her defense. You misread the article.

27. TopTop #27
    shellebelle

When I spoke of cost the main one is
    Quote Kelley on Tuesday described the vandalism case as a "fabrication" and said the $500 payment was intended to save taxpayers from the cost of another trial.
    and
    Quote "In an effort to resolve the alleged vandalism case from last August and not waste taxpayers' resources on a possible retrial, I have agreed to pay a $500 witness fee that reimburses Mr. Zinsley for his lost work and expenses for coming to court," Kelley said in a written statement.
    The second would be that she potentially will "relapse" in some way and cost us more $$$$ as a community than just trial charges.

Quote Also I do not live in Rohnert Park but it was the best choice. I live in the county property between Sebastopol and Rohnert Park which lists me with a Santa Rosa address. My desire to school my child and move to Sebastopol creates for me a need to be invested in the City.

I agree with you that the Code of Conduct should be easily accessible on the City website. Since none of us was able to find it, it seems unlikely to be there, and it certainly is not easily accessible. The PD also fell short, one would expect the paper to have a byline explaining the Code.

Your second point I don't understand. Are you talking about the wi-fi discussions and the NE Area Plan?

If so, I think you confuse your legitimate (even though you live in Rohnert Park) political opinions with the rules of the political process we all need to be able to be part of, independent of our specific political opinions.

Linda Kelley is not an employee of the town. She represents her constituency on the Council. Asking for her investigation because she has positions that in your opinion could cost the town money shows a warped view of the political process I think.

28. TopTop #28
    shellebelle

LOL Or those of us who have common sense.

This comment makes you sound like one of the women knitting at the foot of the guillotine. Replacing the American system of justice for the Rule of the Mob.

29. TopTop #29
    Zeno Swijtink

So then Zeno here was what I read. [Kelley on Tuesday described the vandalism case as a "fabrication" and said the $500 payment was intended to save taxpayers from the cost of another trial.] WHat did I misread?
    The costs of any trial (building, scribes, judges, prosecutors etc.) is paid for out of State Funds, so by the tax payers of the State of California. [Some part of this (local county prosecutor??) may come from County coffers, I am not sure.] It does not affect the City of Sebastopol's budget.

People have to pay for their own defense, unless they cannot do that in which case they are assigned a court appointed defender. Kelley paid for her own defense.
    Last edited by Zeno Swijtink; 05-11-2008 at 03:57 PM. Reason: Added further clarification

30. TopTop #30
    shellebelle

Oh OKAY - (Saracasm) State Funds makes it better?

I am not convinced that the costs coming from other coffers makes it any better. I do understand your point and you are right.

The costs of any trial (building, scribes, judges, prosecutors etc.) is paid for out of State Funds, so by the tax payers of the State of California. [Some part of this (local county prosecutor??) may come from County coffers, I am not sure.] It does not affect the City of Sebastopol's budget.

People have to pay for their own defense, unless they cannot do that in which case they are assigned a court appointed defender.