Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Barbara Moulton

Rainwater Harvesting--Any one got experience doing it??

I'm studying rainwater harvesting and its feasibility in Sonoma County. I'd like to communicate with anyone who is actually doing it. Thanks,
    Barbara
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    Braggi

Re: Rainwater Harvesting--Any one got experience doing it??

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Barbara Moulton: View Post
    I'm studying rainwater harvesting and its feasibility in Sonoma County. ...
    All you need is a collection surface such as a metal roof on your house, and then the bigger problem, somewhere to put it. A pond makes the most sense, assuming you have the land to give up to it and a way to make the soil less permeable. Big water tanks are good if you can afford them but they hold a limited amount of water and then you might have to pump the water to get it where it's needed which can cost more than buying water from a municipal source. Still, having a couple thousand gallons of extra water can give you a good start on the irrigation season if your needs aren't great.

What do you have in mind?

-Jeff

3. TopTop #3
    Philip Tymon

We have a 1/2 day course in rainwater harvesting at the Occidental Arts & Ecology Center. Please see our website: www.oaec.org for more info.

I'm studying rainwater harvesting and its feasibility in Sonoma County. I'd like to communicate with anyone who is actually doing it. Thanks,
    Barbara

4. TopTop #4
    glenclem

The Sonoma County Library has several goods books on water catchment, also check out the book "Rain Gardens" by Dunnett and Clayden

Barbara

5. TopTop #5
    Moon

Re: Rainwater Harvesting

I'm living in an apartment now, but i hope to be able to harvest rainwater when
    i have my own place. The main thing i know i need to find out is whether the rats
    here carry leptospirosis. If so, the water will have to have everything down to the
    size of a bacterium filtered out. The people i've known who harvested rainwater
    used plastic swimming pools with permeable covers to keep out leaves.

Barbara

6. TopTop #6
    nicofrog

This is a good time of year to think about rain water harvest. Its like a train full of gold roaring past at 100 miles an hour! How can we get some of that?

Will our tactics cause a mudslide down stream? How is gray-water related??

I'm working on some nice systems now, and watching results as the "train" goes by! The attached pic is a simple system for a sink in a barn that is used sporadically,utilizing a "bio filter",and pond to mulch basin principle, with an earth bag garden bed for disbursement.

We are very lucky in California to be getting an approximation of "normal" weather we can be trend setters in how not to waste it, or sit around and hope the "water board" will do it for us.

I want by their offices last summer and was mind blown at what a mine field their landscape was around the building!Sad statement of the level on consciousness we are dealing with.

A triple barrel on each corner of each large building,and multiple mulch-beds could not only increase the water available at a property, but significantly improve the water table for downstream neighbors, and your local creek system.Actually, the mulching alone saves more water than the expensive plumbing.

How's it going in your watershed?
    Nico

Barbara
    Last edited by Barry; 01-18-2010 at 11:19 AM.

7. TopTop #7
    kit-kit

Your request reminded me of a cryptic post I'd seen on Craigslist. Here is that post, no phone number to call, the anonymous email address will expire as soon as the original poster deletes his adv. Good luck!

Free Water, Anyone? (santa rosa)

Date: 2010-01-14, 2:34PM PST
    Reply to: [email protected]

My rainwater harvesting system is way too successful. I have about 5,000 gallons I would be happy to share. You could have as much or as little as you can haul. Please leave a phone #. I would like to get this done before the next storm.
    Pick up in Santa Rosa. Hose will reach the curb.

The biggest problem with R.H. is storage. Perhaps a swimming pool company could construct an in-ground pool (best of both worlds, storage out-of-sight and large capacity!)

Barbara

8. TopTop #8
    farmfresh

There are some rainwater harvesting contractors in Occidental; check them out at aprainwaterharvesting.com

Barbara

9. TopTop #9
    feltonius

Barbara
    yah, rainwater harvesting isn't as hard as it sounds. I got a book at Harmony that had everything I really needed to know in it (basically, how to plumb the drain and different master/slave-series multi-tank options). In my case, I put the tank in the way of the gutter downspout. Gutter goes to tank, has new downspout.

I only have one tank now, but a book I borrowed from my parents (rainwater collection for dummies, ok so there were 2 books) had a neat table in it that says with the roof size I'm using 60x24 and 30 inches of rainfall I could harvest 24K gallons, so someday I hope to have more tanks.

Here's a pic, just ignore the foreground.
    Last edited by feltonius; 01-18-2010 at 10:06 PM.

10. TopTop #10

We are local design consultants and rain harvesting/graywater reuse equipment suppliers in West County -- AP Rainwater Harvesting & Graywater Gardens @ www.aprainwaterharvesting.com -- we can even harvest water from the air in your kitchen... ask us how...

The most important thing is to filter the water so the rain you save is as clean as it can be going into the tank... We've experimented with downspout filters and diverters and know how to tailor the right one for the right end use...Vector control and sealing the system using anti-siphon overflow valves is also important... But don't forget -- the water in the tank still needs to breathe as it's vital to the health of the stored water...

When it comes to graywater -- once again filtration keeps your environment healthier... it's only legal at this time to reuse graywater for sub-surface irrigation and we have some specialized equipment that is designed for graywater to make sure you get the job done right.

So, yes, like it or not, water is the issue of our generation and we are on the rainwater/graywater/atmospheric water path -- and we invite you all to jump in... the water's fine.

Kym Trippsmith
    AP Rainwater Harvesting & Graywater Gardens
    707-874-9460 (office)
    707- 874-9459 (fax)
    [email protected]
    www.aprainwaterharvesting.com
    www.feistyfemales.netwww.kows.fm Feisty Females Radio show Fridays 11am to 1pm

11. TopTop #11
    RussianRiverRattina

Is that a tiger on your lawn, or are you just glad to see me?

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Mamazon: View Post
    We are local design consultants and rain harvesting/graywater reuse equipment suppliers in West County -- AP Rainwater Harvesting & Graywater Gardens @ www.aprainwaterharvesting.com -- we can even harvest water from the air in your kitchen... ask us how......
    Last edited by Barry; 01-18-2010 at 10:41 PM.

12. TopTop #12
    Dynamique

Indeed! We're trying to find a medium-size storage tank (500 to 1000 gallons) that is NOT made of plastic and is NOT ugly, and I hear responses like "what's wrong with plastic?" and "metal is too expensive/unavailable."

If someone local could figure out how to make a metal and/or wood tank that looks good enough to be in the front yard, they'd be on to something. Reproductions of the old-fashioned railroad water tanks would likely be a hot seller in this area.

The little plastic tank for $100 at local home improvement centers is not exactly a good deal. Surely with all the talent in this area, there is a better alternative to be had.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by kit-kit: View Post
    The biggest problem with R.H. is storage. Perhaps a swimming pool company could construct an in-ground pool (best of both worlds, storage out-of-sight and large capacity!)

13. TopTop #13
    alanora

Just wondering, how is your water collection from the air process different than the dehumidifier I empty often? Thanks Mindy

....we can even harvest water from the air in your kitchen... ask us how...
    Last edited by Barry; 01-19-2010 at 10:17 AM.

14. TopTop #14
    csell

I actively want to rainwater harvest, but have found the storage to be prohibitively expensive. Most tanks end up costing roughly $1/gal.--and you can buy "brand new" bottled water for that price anywhere, and far cheaper from your hose. I was told by a local well-and-tank vendor that rainwater harvesting isn't feasible in areas like ours where there are no "refills" during 6 months of the year. Alternate opinions appreciated.

--Carolyn
    Last edited by Barry; 01-19-2010 at 10:49 AM.

15. TopTop #15
    lisahenry

Quote Posted in reply to the post by farmfresh: View Post
    There are some rainwater harvesting contractors in Occidental; check them out at aprainwaterharvesting.com
    Daniel Gibbs is a contractor who does rainwater harvesting in a very beautiful way. 707-291-4237 https://www.danielrgibbs.com/

16. TopTop #16
    alanora

How to you get water from the air? How does it differ from the water that ends up in my dehumidifier? Thanks I just got your e-mail ad and my understanding is that the water is very filtered and sterilized...seems that I could figure out how to clean that water and use it, or continue to pour it on plants inside in addition to down the drain. Thanks, Mindy

We are local design consultants and rain harvesting/graywater reuse equipment suppliers in West County -- AP Rainwater Harvesting & Graywater Gardens @ www.aprainwaterharvesting.com -- we can even harvest water from the air in your kitchen... ask us how...

The most important thing is to filter the water so the rain you save is as clean as it can be going into the tank... We've experimented with downspout filters and diverters and know how to tailor the right one for the right end use...Vector control and sealing the system using anti-siphon overflow valves is also important... But don't forget -- the water in the tank still needs to breathe as it's vital to the health of the stored water...

When it comes to graywater -- once again filtration keeps your environment healthier... it's only legal at this time to reuse graywater for sub-surface irrigation and we have some specialized equipment that is designed for graywater to make sure you get the job done right.

So, yes, like it or not, water is the issue of our generation and we are on the rainwater/graywater/atmospheric water path -- and we invite you all to jump in... the water's fine.

Kym Trippsmith
    AP Rainwater Harvesting & Graywater Gardens
    707-874-9460 (office)
    707- 874-9459 (fax)
    [email protected]
    www.aprainwaterharvesting.com
    www.feistyfemales.netwww.kows.fm Feisty Females Radio show Fridays 11am to 1pm
    Last edited by alanora; 01-20-2010 at 06:11 PM.

17. TopTop #17
    Kupuna

Generally speaking, there are different options to consider, specially these days with the air pollution, acid rain, and many other men-made toxic substances increasing at alarming speed,

Personally as an Organic, Sustainable Village Coordinator I have experience on different rain water catchment systems,

Since different people ask questions for different reasons;

Why do you ask ?

If anyone is resquesting advice on different Holistic, Organic, Sustainable Principles, I am offering monthly workshops as a community service free of charges, for more details feel free to get in touch,

Cordially, Kupuna,

18. TopTop #18
    Kupuna

Generally speaking, there are different options to consider, specially these days with the air pollution, acid rain, and many other men-made toxic substances increasing at alarming speed,

Personally as an Organic, Sustainable Village Coordinator I have experience on different rain water catchment systems,

Since different people ask questions for different reasons;

Why do you ask ?

If anyone is resquesting advice on different Holistic, Organic, Sustainable Principles, I am offering monthly workshops as a community service free of charges, for more details feel free to get in touch,

Cordially, Kupuna,