Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Zeno Swijtink

How to teach kids to bike?

We're struggling to have our kids (boy 13y/0, girl 10y/o) to master the bike. They're slim but not athletic, somewhat geeky, a little overcautious. We're planning to visit France this summer and would like them to bike by then.

What is your experience with training wheels?

What are good places in Sebastopol to practice?

Any tricks for kids that are overcautious?

What are other questions we should ask?

Any clubs that introduce kids to safe biking in a fun way?
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    MsTerry

Re: How to teach kids to bike?

Tour de France?
    or Tour de Force?

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Zeno Swijtink: View Post
    We're struggling to have our kids (boy 13y/0, girl 10y/o) to master the bike. They're slim but not athletic, somewhat geeky, a little overcautious. We're planning to visit France this summer and would like them to bike by then.

3. TopTop #3
    Burrowowl

Training wheels are great, but there's no substitute for peer pressure when it comes to motivating young people.

4. TopTop #4
    Zeno Swijtink

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Burrowowl: View Post
    Training wheels are great, but there's no substitute for peer pressure when it comes to motivating young people.
    Thanks. You make a good point.

Cf How skills and habits spread in social networks by contagion and imitation:

https://www.edge.org/documents/archive/edge238.html

5. TopTop #5
    shellebelle

I'm not sure if this was a serious post or one of your people experiments

But I'll answer seriously

You could just ask them if they want to and at 10 and 13 they can make a decision. It will take them a short time to master it if they want to. And, yes, friends help would make it easier since I can't imagine you chasing a bike but I'd watch and laugh at you though!!!!

On the other hand - you haven't done this as a parent well thats a sad statement on you as a parent. Here you are all talking green and not equipping your kids to be anything but car dependent.

And then you admit they are not athletic; geeze; spend some time give them some life skills! I am not athletic either but I can do all the games from biking to hiking to baseball - not because I wanted to play them but because these are skills for life we all should have. Nothing teaches team like sports.

And the experiences! How many experiences must you have missed! Then you talk about shhh on those great little known spots - well if you aren't athletic then HOW WOULD YOU KNOW? And if you do know why didn't you take your kids!

Thanks. You make a good point.

Cf How skills and habits spread in social networks by contagion and imitation:

https://www.edge.org/documents/archive/edge238.html

6. TopTop #6
    MsTerry

I agree,
    here is someone from Holland, where everything is flat, going to take his kids to France, where everything is rolling, for a bike trip?!?
    Is this a quiz in geography or human traits?

Quote Posted in reply to the post by shellebelle: View Post

7. TopTop #7
    Hazelwood

Hi Zeno,

Get 'em out on the Joe Rodota/West County Trail. Bring your own bike, run or walk along with them too. Make it fun and interesting. Bring a game or challenge into it. Ask some questions along the way to draw they're attention into their surroundings. In the beginning, one needs to get good at starting up and stopping a bike anyway. What are their interests and how can they be woven into the outing?

Try not to make it about riding bikes, or even about them. If you're out there exploring with them along, they'll get involved and once their sense of wonder is engaged you won't be able to keep up with them.

Make it fun. Maybe imitate a bird song.
    I wonder who it is? Does it have any wing bars? What color is its beak? Is it bigger than a robin?
    How many different oaks can I find?
    How many different different leaves can I collect?
    How many different kinds of birds can I count?
    Which way am I heading (N/S/E/W)?
    Where is the sun when I start? Where is it when I finish?
    How many needles are in that pine needle cluster?
    How many petals on those yellow flowers?
    What colors were on that butterfly?
    Which direction is the wind coming from?
    When you get back, draw a map of where you've been. Show where the pine tree, oaks and yellow flowers were as well as the location of the sun.

Make it authentic for you and them. In the end, becoming proficient at riding a bike will be a mere side effect and any resulting orientation and awareness skills will suit them well on their adventures in France.

The West County/Rodota trails are paved, away from traffic and are in manageable intervals. Start with the one between Graton and Occidental Rd. It's straight, flat and not too long. Then, as the kids skills increase, increase the challenge. Maybe when they get more confident, they'll be up for some 'off roading' in the back of Ragle Park?

Have fun!
    Laura

8. TopTop #8
    Zeno Swijtink

I show myself a bit vulnerable and see what I get!

BTW you make some unwarranted inferences here and turn my posting into a people experiment anyhow. You're really the old fashioned girl you pretend to be!

But I'll answer seriously

You could just ask them if they want to and at 10 and 13 they can make a decision. It will take them a short time to master it if they want to. And, yes, friends help would make it easier since I can't imagine you chasing a bike but I'd watch and laugh at you though!!!!

On the other hand - you haven't done this as a parent well thats a sad statement on you as a parent. Here you are all talking green and not equipping your kids to be anything but car dependent.

And then you admit they are not athletic; geeze; spend some time give them some life skills! I am not athletic either but I can do all the games from biking to hiking to baseball - not because I wanted to play them but because these are skills for life we all should have. Nothing teaches team like sports.

And the experiences! How many experiences must you have missed! Then you talk about shhh on those great little known spots - well if you aren't athletic then HOW WOULD YOU KNOW? And if you do know why didn't you take your kids!

9. TopTop #9
    shellebelle

1. Okay the fact we think/thought/consider you that way should tell you something about how you present yourself. The fact we asked in itself tells you a lot about how you are perceived!

If you don't like it then fix the perception. Or admit much of what you post is to gage reactions and have something to talk about in your class.

Ummmmmmm If I really "am" - then how am I "pretending"?

And umm - old fashioned - interesting perception. I never thought myself to be old fashioned but ya know its not a bad handle. I can deal.

3. Zeno go ride a bike! Stop talking green and start walking/biking/hiking! Talk don't change the earth - walks do!

You're really the old fashioned girl you pretend to be!

10. TopTop #10
    Zeno Swijtink

1. Okay the fact we think/thought/consider you that way should tell you something about how you present yourself. The fact we asked in itself tells you a lot about how you are perceived!

If you don't like it then fix the perception. Or admit much of what you post is to gage reactions and have something to talk about in your class.
    Okay, I'll let the kids out of the bag. These wonderful kids were recently acquired, new to me, but not new to the world.

You presupposed too much when you went off on your tirade, without warrant really since what do you know about me? Or I about you for that matter. I love your wacco bio though, you really know how to sell things.

11. TopTop #11
    Zeno Swijtink

3. Zeno go ride a bike! Stop talking green and start walking/biking/hiking! Talk don't change the earth - walks do!
    I must admit that I was somewhat of a nerd in Gymnasium. Although I rode the bike and even had joined a bird watching club with which I rode through the wide open polder land of my childhood I much preferred to sit home and read Ivan Goncharov or Ivan Turgenev.

12. TopTop #12
    shellebelle

Okay, I'll let the kids out of the bag. These wonderful kids were recently acquired, new to me, but not new to the world.

You presupposed too much when you went off on your tirade, without warrant really since what do you know about me? Or I about you for that matter.
    LOL True! So where and how did you acquire them? Or dare I ask?

I love your wacco bio though, you really know how to sell things.
    Thank you.

13. TopTop #13
    shellebelle

Well green and life requires action! So its not too late get your move on!

There are fabulous birds here and if you stop and listen they tell quite the story! There is so much to experience here that the senses can in some cases be overwhelmed. And should you add the magical side of life to your experience there is even more to enjoy! Though not everyone believes but thats okay it means it is that much more special for those who do!

I must admit that I was somewhat of a nerd in Gymnasium. Although I rode the bike and even had joined a bird watching club with which I rode through the wide open polder land of my childhood I much preferred to sit home and read Ivan Goncharov or Ivan Turgenev.

14. TopTop #14
    Vet-To-Pet

Personally, I think that if they don't know how to ride AT ALL, then even the Joe Rodota Trail might be too much "traffic" (with other bicyclists, walkers, dogs, skaters, etc). I'd start out taking them to a parking lot, after hours at some large business (now that it's staying light later into the evening) or school. Let them get their balance & confidence in a space that's wide open & doesn't have too many things that would get in their way. Be sure they wear helmets & maybe even knee/elbow/wrist pads. It's pretty easy to learn, but they might take a spill or two before getting the whole balance thing. I wouldn't use training wheels with kids that old---they'd feel like idiots. Be prepared to run alongside them as they start to pedal, and let go when they feel they're ready to try it alone. That's how my seven year old friend taught me to ride a "two wheeler" when I was seven. I don't recall it being difficult at all. Good luck.
    Smiles,
    Vet to Pet

I show myself a bit vulnerable and see what I get!

BTW you make some unwarranted inferences here and turn my posting into a people experiment anyhow. You're really the old fashioned girl you pretend to be!

15. TopTop #15
    Sybil de Ville

Suggest as a first step toward a warm relationship with your newly acquired (?) kids, possibly leading to fun times together doing things that you all love, that you not refer to them as 'geeky' in public, in print.

16. TopTop #16
    nicofrog

Lord;
    people on this thing will use ANYTHING to try to start a debate!
    I guess some people who have nothing to do but sit and peck do just that, and the only adrenaline available is to make wisecracks about someones honest question.An characterize them judgmentally.
    Oh well
    I AM A CYCLIST, Id like to answer this post, if I may
    from the perspective of someone who has trained cycling
    I am available to do this for 25.00 an hour and when you look at the cost of a broken head, thats cheap.

they suck,especially for older kids,if bears and monkeys can do it , so can a four year old. They should be called never learning wheels.

Ragle Park

they are the same as any one else, just more honest the trick is you be "overcautious "to.Do you wear a helmet? you do now.
    Helmet, gloves and yes for the first few days knee,elbow,WRIST guards.
    they are great to have around for scate-boarding,skating,etc halloween costumes. If the kids have a problem with other kids making fun of them
    tell them to tell their friends that they are training as EXTREME skaters or cyclists etc. whats FUN about total padding, is that you can fall and not get hurt! like being a super hero.
    You are a hero for buying them
    Yes Trips for Kids in Marin county,with Marilyn Riley Fabulous group
    also check with "citybikes" in Santa Rosa, perhaps they know of a class

Bicycle Riding is in a way more dangerous than a lot of sports, it puts you in a flying condition with feet off the ground and usually head forward, commonly wrists are broken and heads bashed when people are untrained.
    I think it's crazy for people to assume that family members should automatically be certified bike trainers.
    As an example, I will ask this question of the knowledgeable contributers to this post. What is the most important consideration to a cyclist when traveling down hill?.If you are not too busy criticizing people for being human, perhaps you could answer that?
    Good luck Zeno, and be careful, it pays
    Nicofrog 707 684 0341
    P. S. don't get me wrong, bike riding is EASY and they should be up and at it in a session or two and with my tips, "accident that breaks you " free for life, like I have been.

17. TopTop #17
    AnnaLisaW

Good advice for the most part. Kids naturally want to do what they see adults doing. The most important thing to remember when you are teaching kids to ride is that no matter what you say, they will remember what you do. So ride carefully and have fun.
    I have taught at least seven kids to ride in the days before pads and helmets. I recommend holding the first lessons on close trimmed grass. It is harder to control the bike there and they learn how to fall without serious injury so they are better prepared for the unexpected when they are on asphalt. (I learned on concrete...I don't recommend it.) Scrapes and bruises are part of life, carry a first aid kit. If the kids are naturally cautious, you won't need it. If they are anything like mine, don't leave home without it!

Oh, and when riding downhill, the most important thing is to maintain your ability to stop quickly and safely.
    Blessings, AnnaLisa

18. TopTop #18
    AnnaLisaW

The Sonoma County Bike Coalition is a currently having an online discussion on bicycle safety.

If you bike at all and especially if you have children who are biking, I strongly recomment joining. At the very least, visit the website.

https://bikesonoma.org/index.html

19. TopTop #19
    hugogee

Uhm i taught my kid in a couple of days. What i did was take a towel and twisted it into a rope. I placed the towel around my childs waist and twisted it. kinda like a twist-tie. i then had him pedal while i ran next to him. Before he hit the ground or the bike i was able to hoist him with the towel. cheers and best of luck. :D

20. TopTop #20
    Ocean

I saw the coolest thing at a party a little while back: it was a child's bicycle with NO TRAINING WHEELS, and NO Crank/Chain/Sprockets. Just free wheeling and a handbrake. The bike was very low to the ground and the kids riding it were like little hot rods! (4, 5 year olds...)

It was an easy method for them to learn balance because they could use their feet at any time, yet they could coast for days just by picking their feet up! They never relied on training wheels - their feet served that purpose!

I asked their parents on the results, and they were very satisfied. I was very impressed with the concept and design. Very cool looking too ;)
    ~O

21. TopTop #21
    Zeno Swijtink

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Sybil de Ville: View Post
    Suggest as a first step toward a warm relationship with your newly acquired (?) kids, possibly leading to fun times together doing things that you all love, that you not refer to them as 'geeky' in public, in print.
    Actually, "geeky" is a batch of honor for us. We are people with an eccentric devotion to particular interests.

22. TopTop #22
    Zeno Swijtink

Well green and life requires action! So its not too late get your move on!

There are fabulous birds here and if you stop and listen they tell quite the story! There is so much to experience here that the senses can in some cases be overwhelmed. And should you add the magical side of life to your experience there is even more to enjoy! Though not everyone believes but thats okay it means it is that much more special for those who do!
    Absolutely. Please join me for another "Walk With A Poet" for Coastwalk I've organized.

May 24, 2008 Walk with a Poet From Russian Gulch to Poets' Pinnacle, 2pm
    (Meet at the Coastwalk office in Sebastopol, 825 Gravenstein Highway North at 1:00 pm or at the Russian Gulch parking lot area at 2:00 pm).

This leisurely three-hour coastal walk starts at Russian Gulch and, after following the beach, hugs the grassy bluff towards Poets' Pinnacle, a rocky promontory so named at a similar walk in 2002. Bring a snack, water, binoculars and good walking shoes. Dress in layers. Contact hike leader Zeno Swijtink at [email protected] to RSVP or if you have any questions.

The walk will be interspersed with readings from her work by poet Elizabeth Herron and practices on sensing and subtle body movements led by Jack Petranker, of the Center for Creative Inquiry.

Acclaimed poet Elizabeth Herron's essays have appeared in Parabola, Orion, ReVision and EarthSpirit. She is the author of five books of poetry, and a collection of short fiction. Her collaboration with sculptor Bruce Johnson led to the writing of The Poet's House, a book length poem.

Jack Petranker founded the Center for Creative Inquiry (CCI) to explore alternate forms of knowledge and inquiry and their potential to bring about essential change. The walk is integrated into Mind in Nature, a CCI weekend retreat held at the spectacular Ratna Ling Retreat Center, about a 20 minute drive northeast of Russian Gulch. Coastwalkers who would like to participate in Mind in Nature are eligible for a 10% discount. For inquiries about the retreat contact Kathleen Daly (707) 935-8268

Directions: To reach the Russian Gulch parking follow Highway 1 north from Jenner for less then two miles. The Parking area is on the ocean side of the road in the dip of the gulch.

23. TopTop #23
    shellebelle

I looked at that but it doesn't appear to be very kid oriented. PLUS it says POISON OAK INFESTED - YIKES but it was good too see the honest so I wasn't surprised. Nothing like bringing a 6 year old who hand swipes all the grass into a POISON OAK infested area.

Absolutely. Please join me for another "Walk With A Poet" for Coastwalk I've organized.

May 24, 2008 Walk with a Poet From Russian Gulch to Poets' Pinnacle, 2pm
    (Meet at the Coastwalk office in Sebastopol, 825 Gravenstein Highway North at 1:00 pm or at the Russian Gulch parking lot area at 2:00 pm).

This leisurely three-hour coastal walk starts at Russian Gulch and, after following the beach, hugs the grassy bluff towards Poets' Pinnacle, a rocky promontory so named at a similar walk in 2002. Bring a snack, water, binoculars and good walking shoes. Dress in layers. Contact hike leader Zeno Swijtink at [email protected] to RSVP or if you have any questions.

The walk will be interspersed with readings from her work by poet Elizabeth Herron and practices on sensing and subtle body movements led by Jack Petranker, of the Center for Creative Inquiry.

Acclaimed poet Elizabeth Herron's essays have appeared in Parabola, Orion, ReVision and EarthSpirit. She is the author of five books of poetry, and a collection of short fiction. Her collaboration with sculptor Bruce Johnson led to the writing of The Poet's House, a book length poem.

Jack Petranker founded the Center for Creative Inquiry (CCI) to explore alternate forms of knowledge and inquiry and their potential to bring about essential change. The walk is integrated into Mind in Nature, a CCI weekend retreat held at the spectacular Ratna Ling Retreat Center, about a 20 minute drive northeast of Russian Gulch. Coastwalkers who would like to participate in Mind in Nature are eligible for a 10% discount. For inquiries about the retreat contact Kathleen Daly (707) 935-8268

Directions: To reach the Russian Gulch parking follow Highway 1 north from Jenner for less then two miles. The Parking area is on the ocean side of the road in the dip of the gulch.

24. TopTop #24
    Zeno Swijtink

I looked at that but it doesn't appear to be very kid oriented. PLUS it says POISON OAK INFESTED - YIKES but it was good too see the honest so I wasn't surprised. Nothing like bringing a 6 year old who hand swipes all the grass into a POISON OAK infested area.
    I changed the route, which is reflected in the description I posted here, so we avoid the poison oak completely.

This is not a kid's walk. As you said, "Well green and life requires action! So its not too late get your move on!"

25. TopTop #25
    shellebelle

Again good to note "not for kids". Is there an age recommendation? I notice some of their hikes mention ages but not all.

My weekends are typically 6 year old oriented. He did the Salt Point Walk fairly well though but a bit long. I think he's better at about 4*5 miles versus 6.

I changed the route, which is reflected in the description I posted here, so we avoid the poison oak completely.

This is not a kid's walk. As you said, "Well green and life requires action! So its not too late get your move on!"

26. TopTop #26
    Zeno Swijtink

Again good to note "not for kids". Is there an age recommendation? I notice some of their hikes mention ages but not all.

My weekends are typically 6 year old oriented. He did the Salt Point Walk fairly well though but a bit long. I think he's better at about 4*5 miles versus 6.
    No age limitation, but must have interest in poetry and Tibetan Buddhist movement meditation.

Sturdy kid you have there! I heard that Salt Point was very windy.

27. TopTop #27
    shellebelle

Yeh he is. He holds his own. Kept up mostly with Gregory. Impressed us. Wind wasn't bad but it did get chilly. It is a bit more than an easy walk I would place it as a mild hike versus a walk. I'd do it again. I think though we will do it slow and break it in two. Though I took 600 pictures I missed another 600!

Yeh I think Dave won't be interested in Tibetan Buddhist movement meditation, he likes poetry though but not about Tibet, LOL!

No age limitation, but must have interest in poetry and Tibetan Buddhist movement meditation.

Sturdy kid you have there! I heard that Salt Point was very windy.

28. TopTop #28
    NudeTea

As an answer in general, not only about teaching kids how to bike but most other things that come up in life, I would say talk to the folks who are specialists. In other words, go to a bicycle shop and ask them what classes they offer. If the kids you've acquired, Zeno, have emotional walls they need to conquer regarding bikes or anything, put them in the hands of someone who is familiar with the sport and adept at teaching it to kids. They learn best in groups with others and from an instructor who can make them laugh.

29. TopTop #29
    Sybil de Ville

Well the point is, that you can teach kids who understand you respect them. I taught two kids to ride bikes...one still does and one hated it. That's all. I learned you can't expect your kids to mirror you in every way, and that is part of the joy you will experience in knowing them as grownups later. Relax.

Actually, "geeky" is a batch of honor for us. We are people with an eccentric devotion to particular interests.

30. TopTop #30
    gracey

I still remember when I was a kid and eager to learn how to bike. I never use training wheels, I just hop in and position the bike in a slight slope and do a free wheel trying to balance the bike and eventually I got the hang of it.

I was 8 back then.