Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    MarinCountyLady

Pet Shop In Bodega Bay?

Hi Folks

Hello everyone! I am a new member to the list. I love Bodega bay, and am hoping to move to the area soon. (I was going to buy a house or land to build, but now I will probably rent until I can save some more pennies and can get what I REALLY want!) The locals I have met have been very friendly...

I'm considering the idea of opening a pet shop at Bodega Bay. It would have pet supplies (food, etc.) but also events for dog people, such as educational seminars, fun events, etc.

Obviously I'd have a small local clientele and would have to advertise to pull in people from surrounding areas for the events.

There is a shop for rent in the same center as the Seeweed Cafe. I have just spoken with the manager by phone, but do not know yet if they will want a pet shop there, or if I even want that area. What do you think of this location?

And what are your thoughts on a pet shop in Bodega Bay?

Thanks!

- Cynthia
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    shellebelle

Re: Pet Shop In Bodega Bay?

I used to work at the Inn so hopefully I can give you some feedback.

That center is fabulous, very busy. Depending on the time and day parking can be at a premium.

Seaweed is incredible, Ted who runs the Inn is great and the sisters who run the fishing store really nice! Names are slipping my mind right now but just wonderful people.

There does not appear to be a lot of pet services in the area so overall I think that many visiting would appreciate you.

I would think many of your clients wold be visitors to the area who need a little something. So I would encourage advertising to the local hotels and campgrounds that allow pets.

Because the roads are tough unless you have a niche the average person would not run out from Sebastopol to Bodega Bay for their pets. Yet a good advertising program and you could possibly pull in from the area North of Bodega Bay since they would have to run into Guerneville I would think for their pet needs.

Hope that helps!

Quote Posted in reply to the post by MarinCountyLady: View Post
    Hi Folks

Hello everyone! I am a new member to the list. I love Bodega bay, and am hoping to move to the area soon. (I was going to buy a house or land to build, but now I will probably rent until I can save some more pennies and can get what I REALLY want!) The locals I have met have been very friendly...

I'm considering the idea of opening a pet shop at Bodega Bay. It would have pet supplies (food, etc.) but also events for dog people, such as educational seminars, fun events, etc.

Obviously I'd have a small local clientele and would have to advertise to pull in people from surrounding areas for the events.

There is a shop for rent in the same center as the Seeweed Cafe. I have just spoken with the manager by phone, but do not know yet if they will want a pet shop there, or if I even want that area. What do you think of this location?

And what are your thoughts on a pet shop in Bodega Bay?

Thanks!

- Cynthia

3. TopTop #3
    gypsey

Re: Pet Shop In Bodega Bay?

To the other helpful replies I would add the following: Bodega Bay also attracts day trippers, many with their pets who are heading out to the beaches or hiking. It is very important that you invest in attractive signage that can be seen from the road and also consider some welcoming display ads in our area newspapers--it takes 28 unconscious impressions for the brain to "connect" to a conscious one. No one drives down the road and says I saw that ad, let's stop in there, but the message has been planted. Better yet try to prepare a press release when you open and get interviewed with a photo. That will help readers to remember you. Show your neighbors that you want to be a good neighbor and business partner, as well. That will promote word of mouth advertising. Last but not least when considering inventory think "beach and hike". This could be doggie water bottles and first aid kits, beach-appropriate toys, leashes or other safety equipment, small cans and packages of food for doggie campers. You have enthusiasm and sincerity--let me know when you open and I'll drop in the next time I take Maxwell to the beach!