Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

Thread: unwanted ants
  • Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Deborah Thayer

unwanted ants

I've had good results with grants ant stakes in and outside the house where they are coming in. Read the instructions for results. Also effective, usually, is mint in tea bags or fresh at their entry points. Most any really fragrant herb such as lavender or cayenne cut them off at the pass. I've even sprayed the lavender hydrosol on the counters and this makes them back away. When in the food, sit the container in the bright sunlight and they will vacate the premises. Putting the animal food in a bowl sitting in say a [larger] pie tin with water in it creates a moat to keep them from getting in. Hope these strategies work as well for you.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    Lenny

Re: unwanted ants

I keep reading about "Bounce" and all those other rags that are put into dryers. Don't know, but I keep reading.....
    Myself, boric acid, sugar water. But I see that was already posted.

3. TopTop #3
    llovejoy

Re: unwanted ants

Get Rid of Ants: Put small piles of cornmeal where you see ants. They eat it, take it "home," can't digest it so it kills them. It may take a week or so, especially if it rains, but it works & you don't have the worry about pets or small children being harmed!
    Note: I have not tested this yet, just thought I'd pass it along in case it works.
    I have had some success with the use of peppermint oil where they enter the house... seems to get rid of them for a week or two depending on how fresh the oil is. Eventually though, they climb over the dead carcasses of their comrades and raid whatever it is their mission calls them to get. Makes the house smell like Santa just came to visit and left a pile of candy canes... which can be annoying if it's raining for days or cold out and you don't get to air the place out because of it. I still prefer that to having creepy crawlies in the home... and don't bother to buy the chrysanthemum b.s. sprays... it's a hoax to think that will do anything to dissuade ants.
    liz