Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #31
    Reportanddeport

Re: I need info about Santa Rosa...

You're very welcome. Santa Rosa is a wonderful place to live. It's a very safe and friendly community, just like everyone here told you. ENJOY.

https://www.mercurynews.com/ci_87168...ce=most_viewed
    SANTA ROSA - A boy in his mid-teens learned Wednesday afternoon that it is not a good idea to try to rob a former U.S. Marine at knifepoint, even if the former Marine is 84 years old, police said today. Santa Rosa police Sgt. Steve Bair said that's what happened around 2 p.m. in the 1600 block of Fourth Street. The elderly man was walking with a grocery bag in each arm when the boy approached him with a large knife, Bair said.
    The boy said, "Old man, give me your wallet or I'll cut you," Bair said. The man told the boy he was a former Marine who fought in three wars and had been threatened with knives and bayonets, Bair said.
    The man then put his bags on the ground and told the boy that if he stepped closer he would be sorry. When the boy stepped closer, the man kicked him in the groin, knocking him to the sidewalk, Bair said. The ex-Marine picked up his grocery bags and walked home, leaving the boy doubled over, Bair said.
    The man reported the attempted robbery to police 45 minutes later.
    Bair said the teen is described only as 15 or 16 years old. Anyone with information is asked to call the Police Department.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #32
    thewholetruth

From what I've seen, gang activity seems to reach almost every area of Santa Rosa now. The only places that still seem safe are Fountaingrove and Bennett Valley, but just the area of Bennett Valley that lies between Bethards Drive and Sonoma Ave. I suspect the rental market in Sebastopol will change over the next year, if you have time to wait a bit.

My daughter goes to Spring Creek School and we absolutlely love it. I'm sure we'll start home schooling at some point, perhaps middle school or high school when the little gang bangers show up, but for now, Spring Creek is an awesome school!

Quote Posted in reply to the post by ebbnflow: View Post
    Hello out there WaccoBB community, I was hoping I could get some advice. OK, so the rental market in Sebastopol sucks to infinity power. This is my second attempt to live there, but alas, it does not seem meant to be…Anyway, I need to expand my search or we will be living in the minivan pretty soon here. I am considering looking in Santa Rosa but I don’t know much about it... I was hoping some of you out there could give me the lowdown on the area. Good parts, bad parts, especially cool parts, especially un-cool parts…etc…I am a single mom with three school age kids, so a safe neighborhood and good schools are my priorities. Were living in West Marin right now so I want to get my bearings before I go driving up to look at anything...Any input would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks!
    ~Heidi*

3. TopTop #33
    nicofrog

I feel sorry for you,
    I was raised in Mexico, this state belonged to Mexico before we took it from them by force, I live in the middle of the safest neighborhood in Santa Rosa cause no one lives here BUT Mexicans, if it wasn't for "illegal aliens" you would be one of those" filthy scary homeless people"(wow you're afraid of HOMELESS PEOPLE!! Sad) vegetables(including animal feed) would be about 10.00 a pound minimum, you obviously have NO CLUE where you live or who's wet back you are riding on while you deride people.
    So enjoy your high horse an worry about gangs,I'll go for tacos at the taco trucks at 11:30 PM ,best food around best prices and definitely the nicest people,I suggest you learn Spanish, because when the water comes up, and everyone's in food lines, It'll be Mexican hands feeding the helpless
    yuppies who have no idea where the food is grown, stored distributed etc.
    You can't even get a job as a restaurant manager these days if you don't speak Spanish.
    If you don't like the way things work here ,I hope you can go grow a big farm that will feed you and heal your hate.
    Nico

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Reportanddeport: View Post
    Santa Rosa is NOT worth living in. It is infested with illegal aliens and strange, filthy, scary, homeless people roaming the streets. And the rents are ridiculosly expensive. And Santa Rosa is infested with gangs too. And Sonoma County has the highest "Death By Law Enforcement" rate in the state. Definitely avoid ROSELAND, where most people are illegal aliens and the gangs run wild. But take a drive through it and see the few houses of scared Americans with American flags nailed to their walls. And see the gang graffiti all over town. See the filthy anchor babies playing in the street as their parents ignore them. If you send your kids to school in Santa Rosa, they may or may not be taught in English. Get ready for a massive illegal alien demonstration on May 1. Last year, there were 10,000 illegal aliens marching in the streets. Sonoma County has the largest population of illegal aliens in Northern California. Don't expect to meet decent people or make friends in Santa Rosa, because most people are cold and uncaring.

4. TopTop #34
    AnnaLisaW

Way to go Nico! I was raised in New York, first generation American. My German grandparents made sure our parents learned English as soon as possible. The attitude was, if you are going to make a home in a new country, you had better learn the language. So, when I moved to California, I started learning Spanish.
    I live in a predominantly Mexican neighborhood and feel perfectly safe simply because the native Californians (Mexicans) are polite, community oriented people who treat me the way they want to be treated. I have never felt disrespected or threatened by anyone in my neighborhood despite my very pale skin and atrocious Spanish.
    Blessings, AnnaLisa

Quote Posted in reply to the post by nicofrog: View Post
    I feel sorry for you,
    I was raised in Mexico, this state belonged to Mexico before we took it from them by force, I live in the middle of the safest neighborhood in Santa Rosa cause no one lives here BUT Mexicans, if it wasn't for "illegal aliens" you would be one of those" filthy scary homeless people"(wow you're afraid of HOMELESS PEOPLE!! Sad) vegetables(including animal feed) would be about 10.00 a pound minimum, you obviously have NO CLUE where you live or who's wet back you are riding on while you deride people.
    So enjoy your high horse an worry about gangs,I'll go for tacos at the taco trucks at 11:30 PM ,best food around best prices and definitely the nicest people,I suggest you learn Spanish, because when the water comes up, and everyone's in food lines, It'll be Mexican hands feeding the helpless
    You can't even get a job as a restaurant manager these days if you don't speak Spanish.
    If you don't like the way things work here ,I hope you can go grow a big farm that will feed you and heal your hate.
    Nico

5. TopTop #35
    thewholetruth

Nico, many people feel like that person described. I minister, feed, clothe and house those "filthy scary homeless people" and they aren't scary to me. The truth is that even Mexicans have to worry if they live in a gang infested neighborhood, and they DO worry. You can pretend you feel safe, but when guns are going off in your neighborhood and children are being hit by random fire, I know you don't feel any safer than the rest of us would if we lived in your neighborhood. I've never heard a gun go off in my neighborhood, and most of us are asleep at 11:30pm, nor do I speak Spanish, nor do I NEED to. I was born and raised in America, where English is the national language. My wife is half Mexican, my daughters are a quarter Mexican, and we love our Mexican heritage, but we're Americans, through and through. BTW, I manage a restaurant, as well. No speak Spanish, brother. It's not required. And I will continue to keep my family as far away from gang infested neighborhoods as I possibly can, and when I can't, when the gangs move into my neighborhood, I'll move. The problem in America now is that people like you keep yourself separate from Americans, rather than considering yourself an American. Your parents and grandparents, I'm guessing, were proud to be Americans.

I feel sorry for you,
    Nico

6. TopTop #36
    Reportanddeport

There's nothing to feel sorry about. "WE" took California from Mexico? Maybe YOU did, but I was BORN here. And I'm not apologizing for being an American. Enjoy your neighborhood. If you're happy there, then I'm happy for you. It sounds like you live in a neighborhood without diversity. I guess diversity is not acceptable in Santa Rosa.

I'm not interested in glorifying illegal aliens. If illegal aliens weren't here to do the work, then Americans would HAVE to do it, and that would be a very good thing. I'm not interested in breaking the law to have cheap veggies. That would be like robbing one guy so I could pay another.

Actually, I don't ride on ANYONE'S back. But I did get a visa for my immigrant wife, and it took 2 1/2 years to get her in the country.

It doesn't take a "high horse" to be disgusted with gangs. It just takes COMMON SENSE. ANY person with common sense would be disgusted with gangs. Gangs REALLY ARE a bad thing.

Actually, I DO know a little Spanish. But NO WATER is going to be coming up. I believe in Jesus, but NOT Al Gore.

You eat at taco trucks, I eat at some regular, Mexican restaurants. So what.
    It's very convenient for people to hate someone who doesn't like illegal immigration, but it's a big mistake to lump the spouse and sponsor of an immigrant in with the racists that way. You might get some suckers to go along with you, but THINKING and SEEING people can see a distinction between a law-abiding person and a sick, evil racist.

Accusing people of "hate" is such a copout. It saves you from dealing with the reality that illegal aliens are law breakers.

I feel sorry for you,
    Nico

7. TopTop #37
    karenclark

Ebbnflow - I just wanted to say how happy I am for you! I remember how heart-wrenching it was for me to find a place when I was newly divorced and moving "back home" from Washington state. The housing market here was such a shock and finding good schools is so important. I wish you and your little family all the best!

8. TopTop #38
    shellebelle

I have to say I find your story interesting, annoying and inaccurate in spots!

My perception is based on the following:

One of my lovers is here on a work visa and was raised in Mexico City. We have had many conversations about "illegals" from Mexico and deportation etc. Obviously the thought of losing him was an emotional discussion.

Now to deal with each of my points independently.

First off we didn't take the land; we bought it! Okay so if you didn't like the sale we can negotiate for Mexico to buy it back! I would guess it would take many trillions to do so. Oh wait we are owed money already from mexico and usually have more borrowing ending so I guess buying back the land won't happen.

Not to say we were nice about it. But we were fair about it.

The Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo (Tratado de Guadalupe Hidalgo in Spanish) is the peace treaty, largely dictated by the United States[1][2] to the interimmilitarily occupied Mexico, that ended the Mexican-American War (1846–1848). The treaty provided for the Mexican Cession, in which Mexico ceded 1.36 million km² (525,000 square miles) (55%[3] of its pre-war territory) to the United States in exchange for US$15 million (equivalent to $313 million in 2006 dollars) and the ensured safety of pre-existing property rights of Mexican citizens in the transferred territories, the latter of which the United States in a significant number of cases failed to honor.[4][5][6] The United States also agreed to take over $3.25 million ($68 million in 2006 dollars) in debts Mexico owed to American citizens.

Since the treaty we have supported and loaned millions on an on going basis to Mexico. We have been fair and kind neighbors and in my view better to the Mexican nationals than their own government.

Now back to my lover and our conversations:

I learned he will never be deported he has skills that make him always welcome here; as do his friends and family. whew! Okay so one of my sample questions was: if your sister wants to come over and live can she? the answer: Yes. Your mom? Yes. Your Brother - he's here but Yes. So your best friend in high school? Yes. Okay so why the immigration issue? Answer: I don't know but I would guess it has to do with skills and education.

I learned that he is as frustrated by the illegals as we are and about Spanish being spoken in our American schools - where his American born to an American (aka white) woman - children attend.

I learned that he doesn't worry about gangs but he also doesn't live where they are and his children are not left to their own devices.

He speaks 4 languages including Spanish fluently and is able to take key pieces of information and translate them not only into Spanish, but Portuguese, Italian and yes English! He translates things to his workers and from his workers to their superiors. I also learned many have chosen to not learn English and despite their work skills are not promotable.

In the end my feeling is yes we need to increase our work visas so we can get more workers across legally to work the orchards and other agriculture.

BUT after several chances for amnesty - no, the US doesn't need to offer another one - if an illegal cared about their children being legal while they are illegal then they would have taken the amnesty years ago for them and their children. They appear to not really cherish their children or their family. Many choose to not get an education, many choose to not get amnesty for their kids who often don't know they are illegal. Its sad, these are personal choices and the resulting problems are theirs to deal with. I am sad for the kids but not for the parents. They suddenly have money for attorneys after deportation but not before to get amnesty - I'm not sure how that can be.

I feel sorry for you,
    Nico

9. TopTop #39
    "Mad" Miles

Shellebelle,

I think you would be hard-pressed to find a large number of Mexicans who think the Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo was a "fair" deal. It was the conclusion of a war of imperial aggression, initiated without legitimate provocation by the U.S.

The actual reported provocation was one of another fake attacks, ala the Tonkin Gulf incident and the blowing up of the Maine in Havana Harbor. (And 911 as far as Iraqi culpability for the attacks on the Twin Towers and Pentagon were concerned.)

As for the economic disparities between the U.S. and Mexico, and within each country, I hardly think the problems in Mexico can be laid solely at the door of the Mexican government. NAFTA may be a contributing factor, or so I've heard. The history of neo-colonialism might have something to do with it. A culture/economy of latifundias and hidalgo class overlords might also.

If hiring non-documented workers was not so profitable for the business owners who do so, don't you think the problem might disappear? At the least it would be of a different magnitude of concern.

Ultimately the cause of illegal immigration comes down to the much vaunted system we operate under, Capitalism. The labor market seeks the level set by supply and demand, just like every other market.

You got some issue with Smith's "invisible hand"? I suggest taking it up with Milton Friedman... Oops, no go, he died in the last year or so. But they've got plenty of followers willing to take up the cause.

This topic was addressed in much repetitive detail, by various commentators from different sides, on this board several months to a year ago. Not much has changed since.

Oh, except for the couple of new Libertarian Rightist, uh... Feces Disturbers that showed up recently.

Ahh, internet debate, so productive and condusive to "Progress"....

"Mad" Miles

10. TopTop #40
    shellebelle

I see your points, some valid, don't totally agree or disagree but creates some good thought.

Mostly I think its sad (particularly for the children) that so many come without really wanting to commit to the country they plan to make their children's home.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Mad Miles: View Post
    Shellebelle,

Ahh, internet debate, so productive and condusive to "Progress"....

"Mad" Miles

11. TopTop #41
    decterlove

Wow! Nicely articulated, Shellebelle!

I weigh in somewhere in the middle of debate myself. While I have the greatest respect for Mexican people and have lived among them for much of the last 20 years, there has to be balance and there has to be limits and boundaries as well. I think we owe a great dealas a nation karmically due to our historic agricultural dependence on cheap labor but we don't owe it all and we owe our own citizens a decent chance at the dream they were born into.

Our politicians seem to be completely paralyzed on this issue though. I think one simple solution would simply be to dispose of the laws that grants citizenship automatically to anyone born on American soil. That seems obviously obsolete. Watch and wait.

12. TopTop #42
    Reportanddeport

Capitolism is nothing but Freedom of the Market. It works well for those with drive and ambition, but propserity never comes to those who who choose not to work, whether it's a Capitolist or Communist system.

The real ENEMIES of Capitolism seem to be those who want to exploit the self-made losers of Capitolism. Losers don't produce much, and they tend to hate those who are productive, but that's because jealousy and blaming others for your problems is easier than taking responsibility for your own life.

So the Communists see a pathway to political power, by PRETENDING to represent the losers, while they use the votes of the losers to get power.

So Communism is ultimately about exploiting the politically naive.

Communism will always be an impossible dream, because though it seems to be fair at first look, you will learn that fairness won't be your decision to make in a Communist system. Fairness will be decided for you by your party bosses. And so the Communist system relies on police and military forces to enforce the fairness and correctness that someone else decided for you. And in acting like the government can make everything fair, you realize how unfair the government is to YOU.
    So educated people reject Communism, though parasitic minds still promote it as a viable alternative.
    Yes, Mexico got a bad deal with the U.S.-Mexican War. But since the deal was made and everyone who made it is dead now, and over one hundred years have passed, it's simply NOT going to be re-negotiated. But there will always be people who point to past injustices to defend the injustices they commit and there will always be those who try to promote themselves by convincing illegal aliens that America is evil and that Communism is the answer to all the world's problems.

And there will always be be people who think that the more hate you spew, the more just and fair you are.

13. TopTop #43
    Zeno Swijtink

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Reportanddeport: View Post
    Capitolism is nothing but Freedom of the Market. It works well for those with drive and ambition, but propserity never comes to those who who choose not to work, whether it's a Capitolist or Communist system.
    Is Capitolism a misspelling of "Capitalism?"

Or it it the Doctrine that Washington, D.C. is the only true Capitol of the world, that it's economic system is the only true economic system, and that Communism is the only barely imaginable, but completely discredited, alternative?

14. TopTop #44
    Becky

wow I missed a lot in the past two weeks.

Heidi: Congrats on finding a place. We moved to Santa Rosa from LA and it was hard coming into a neighborhood i knew nothing about. It looks like you got some awesome advice. Best of luck to you and your family.

15. TopTop #45
    danmonte

I am happy to hear that Heidi’s original request for help with getting settled into Santa Rosa has worked out for her.

I moved to Santa Rosa mostly because I vacationed on the Russian River most of my childhood, and fell in love with the county. Vacationing on the River is a family tradition going back some ninety years that continues today with my extended family. I have found Santa Rosa to be a very welcoming community, intellectually stimulating, and a source of new friendships. I arrived in a later stage of my life than Heidi. I will be 60 this year, my youngest child is nearly complete with college, and I am recently divorced. I need this town.

Like much of America this recent stage in my life started with the election of GWB. I made plans to give up my construction micro business and become a teacher, a life long dream. Teaching did not work out for me. I gave it three years. Teaching was a life altering decision, something that is not uncommon. Ever since the Reagan became governor California and the country at large has been systematically dismantling the public educational system. More on this much later.

As a young man and college graduate I moved to my birthplace, San Francisco. I find the community of Santa Rosa to be very similar to that of San Francisco of the 70’s and early 80’s. Many Santa Rosans are deeply engaged in this community not for personal gain but for the betterment of the City, Sonoma County and our country. This thread has gone from what I took as a simple request to a wider discussion on our society as a whole. Much more on this much later. For now I will sign off with a brief report back from the Democratic Convention in San Jose. I was reluctant to go this year, Impeachment only happened in Santa Rosa, but I have found that despite itself this party is responding to the fact that many more very progressive folks are engaging the party to support working folks and social and human rights here and around the world.

16. TopTop #46
    Peace Seeker

Dear friends,

Some questions I'm wondering, after reading this thread:

1. What would the various people listed below conclude about Sonoma County living, and Sonoma County people, if they read this thread?

2. Would anyone who posted have said different things, or put things they did say differently, if they were telling the various people listed below how things are in Sonoma County?

• A Central American plantation worker, wondering if they would feel welcome living in our community
    • A Mexican father without documents, who hasn't seen his children back home for 3 years, because to support them he stays here and works 14 hour days in Sonoma Co. fields, yards and vineyards, and sleeps in an unfinished garage in Roseland to save rent money, so he can send as much home as possible
    • A 10 year old African American girl in West Oakland, whose parents both work full time, and are still poor enough to qualify for food stamps, and too poor to live here
    • A Pomo wise woman/basket weaver/visionary living along what's now Santa Rosa Creek in 1600 -- dreaming about us.
    (Black Elk told of a legendary Sioux seer who reported a dream about the coming pale people in large boats, and the misery and destruction we would bring upon his people and the continent -- and who then took to his bed and died of a broken heart.)
    • Desmond Tutu
    • Jesus
    (if you can handle that without freaking)
    • David Duke
    • Rush Limbaugh
    • Martin Luther King
    3. How many of us would the various people listed above see as having self-satisfied or self-righteous misconceptions regarding people less fortunate than ourselves?
    3a. Would they see us as racially prejudiced?

3b. Would they be correct?
    4. How many potential bases for backlash manipulation would David Duke or Rush Limbaugh see in this thread?

4a. Could someone (probably not Duke or Limbaugh, but maybe a self-declared "centrist realist") exploit that backlash potential successfully? How?

5. Is it self-righteous for me to ask these questions?
    5a. Is the accusation that I'm self-rigtheous a defensive reaction to avoid a disturbing query?
    5b. Could both be true?
    David Hoffman

==========================

Quote Posted in reply to the post by ebbnflow: View Post
    Hello out there WaccoBB community, I was hoping I could get some advice. OK, so the rental market in Sebastopol sucks to infinity power. This is my second attempt to live there, but alas, it does not seem meant to be…Anyway, I need to expand my search or we will be living in the minivan pretty soon here. I am considering looking in Santa Rosa but I don’t know much about it... I was hoping some of you out there could give me the lowdown on the area. Good parts, bad parts, especially cool parts, especially un-cool parts…etc…I am a single mom with three school age kids, so a safe neighborhood and good schools are my priorities. Were living in West Marin right now so I want to get my bearings before I go driving up to look at anything...Any input would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks!
    ~Heidi*

17. TopTop #47
    dinero

I hope you find following link useful for comparing schools across Sonoma County, at any grade, whether public or private:
    https://www.publicschoolreview.com/c...CA/county/6097