Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Hummingbear

Another View of Anti-Depressants

https://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c.../EDENVAHR9.DTL

Psychotropic drugs and shootings
    Don Harte
    Tuesday, March 4, 2008

The recent shooting at Northern Illinois University is the latest in a long line of tragedies brought about by the failure of legally prescribed psychotropic drugs. Virtually every one of these public massacres was done by people taking these drugs, mostly "selective serotonin re-uptake inhibitors," like Prozac, Zoloft and Wellbutrin.

The fact that the shooter at Northern Illinois University was "off his meds" is of no consequence.

For the most part, these people want to get off their meds because it makes them feel like zombies. No one wants to feel like that. So, unless all these patients are put in lockdown wards (I am definitely not advocating this), they will tend to go "off their meds." Of course, the two Columbine shooters were fully on their meds.

It is one thing for a particular drug or other medical procedure to be ineffective, or even dangerous, to individual patients. But it's something else altogether when a whole class of drugs has the potential to put a mentally unstable person on a path toward a killing spree.

These drugs, the huge pharmaceutical corporations that manufacture and promote them, the doctors who prescribe them, and the government agencies that support the questionable research and are supposed to provide a "watchdog" function for the public, are all guilty of creating a public health menace.

Look up any of these drugs in reference books, and you will find under "adverse effects" and, sometimes under "warnings: "anxiety, agitation, panic attacks, insomnia, irritability, hostility, aggressiveness, impulsivity... hypomania, and mania, have been reported in adult and pediatric patients being treated with antidepressants."

Recently, "Black Box Warnings," the most serious sort of warning short of pulling a drug, have been added to many of these drugs, citing suicide risk to juveniles and young adults.

Is anyone cured of depression from these "anti-depressants?" No. The administration of all modern psychotropic drugs is based upon the big pharma-sponsored myth of "biochemical imbalance." If this is correct, then why isn't the "biochemistry" of psychiatric patients checked before prescribing, and during treatment?

There are discovered, to date, more than 80 neurotransmitters, all interdependent. Most of these drugs alter the effect or the available supply of one, sometimes two, occasionally three neurotransmitters. What the cascade effect upon all the other neurotransmitters is, no one knows.

So, what else can we do?

A hundred years ago, D. D. D. Palmer, the discoverer of chiropractic, wrote: "Chiropractors correct abnormalities of the intellect, as well as the body." From the early to the mid-20th century, there were chiropractic sanitoriums. One of these, in Davenport, Iowa, was the Forest Park Sanitorium. North Dakota judge A. W. Ponath (in a time when judges regularly committed, and un-committed, mental patients) noted that at the North Dakota state mental hospital, the "cure and discharge rate" ranged from 18 percent to 27 percent, compared with 65 percent at Forest Park.

During 26 years of practice, I have seen dozens of people on various psychotropic medications. While chiropractic adjustments took pressure off their nervous systems (of which, obviously, the brain is a part), and their bodies got well, so did their minds. And ... no one got shot.

Dr. Don Harte is a wellness chiropractor in Marin County, in practice for 26 years, and an activist within the profession. His e-mail is [email protected].

This article appeared on page B - 7 of the San Francisco Chronicle 3/4/2008
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    decterlove

Re: Another View of Anti-Depressants

Yikes, I never thought about that factor. I just figured that people who needed drugs that bad wouldn't be that cognizant of the "zombie" factor.

I am extremely sensitive to all pharmaceuticals....I do take aspirin and tylenol occasionally but tried a tylenol pm a few years back, and felt just totally numb and dull-witted the next day. It was so distinct and uncomfortable I would never take one again. But not everyone is as sensitive as some are to various agents.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Hummingbear: View Post
    https://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c.../EDENVAHR9.DTL

For the most part, these people want to get off their meds because it makes them feel like zombies. No one wants to feel like that. So, unless all these patients are put in lockdown wards (I am definitely not advocating this), they will tend to go "off their meds." Of course, the two Columbine shooters were fully on their meds.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email