Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

Thread: Tree Butchers
  • Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Waccomole

Tree Butchers

That's an extreme description but so is the County's approach to the pruning of trees on Laguna Road. I spoke with Rob Silva at 565 7280 and had a cordial but not fully satisfying talk. I could not get a firm answer on the guidelines for clearance. I asked if was the intent to prevent any limb for projecting over the roadway. He did not answer that but remarked that the limbs must be taken all the way back to the main trunk.
    Here's my issue..I like a canopy of foliage overhanging the road...I like driving through a tunnel of greenery. I understand that clearances for tall vehicles are necessary and that sight lines must be maintained. But the County is pruning limbs as high as 30 feet..if their bucket would go higher, they would prune higher. It's unnecessary an is ruining the character of these West County by ways.
    I went out onto the scene to take a few pictures. The sawyer in the bucket came down and walked across the road to talk to me. We established the extent of the pruning on the tree he was working on and I stated that I had no complaint about it. When I returned later, I found that a considerable amount of pruning beyond the previously indicated height had been done. I don't like being fooled.
    What do you think...feel free to call Mr Silva and his boss (misplaced his name and number but you can get it from Rob). I'll be calling Mike Reilly's office in the morning and you can too. Henry Crigler Cuneo Ct off Laguna Road
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    Sara S
    Auntie Wacco

Re: Tree Butchers

Interesting; I can't find the original post which you seem to be answering (BARRY!! HELP!!) [this was posted as a new thread - I don't know what post it is referring to - B] but out here in Cazadero, where Davy Tree cuts the top off trees that are under powerlines, they don't ever seem to cut enough off to last more than one season. I told a young fellow who had worked for them that I assumed it was a job-security ploy, so that they'd have to keep coming back to cut off the same tree tops, but he said that the owners would complain if the entire tree were cut down. I doubt that this is the reason, but haven't actually talked to any Davy Tree person myself. I mean, the county and/or PG&E certainly have some sort of maintenance easement.

For a landowner to insist on this top-cutting seems fairly dumb, except in the rare case where the tree provides some screening for something (almost none of these trees are in front of a house), and to just cut the tops off is not only ineffective for fire-protection, since they grow right back, but pretty much ruins the tree.

Sara

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Waccomole: View Post
    That's an extreme description but so is the County's approach to the pruning of trees on Laguna Road. I spoke with Rob Silva at 565 7280 and had a cordial but not fully satisfying talk. I could not get a firm answer on the guidelines for clearance. I asked if was the intent to prevent any limb for projecting over the roadway. He did not answer that but remarked that the limbs must be taken all the way back to the main trunk.
    Here's my issue..I like a canopy of foliage overhanging the road...I like driving through a tunnel of greenery. I understand that clearances for tall vehicles are necessary and that sight lines must be maintained. But the County is pruning limbs as high as 30 feet..if their bucket would go higher, they would prune higher. It's unnecessary an is ruining the character of these West County by ways.
    I went out onto the scene to take a few pictures. The sawyer in the bucket came down and walked across the road to talk to me. We established the extent of the pruning on the tree he was working on and I stated that I had no complaint about it. When I returned later, I found that a considerable amount of pruning beyond the previously indicated height had been done. I don't like being fooled.
    What do you think...feel free to call Mr Silva and his boss (misplaced his name and number but you can get it from Rob). I'll be calling Mike Reilly's office in the morning and you can too. Henry Crigler Cuneo Ct off Laguna Road
    Last edited by Barry; 03-04-2008 at 10:51 AM.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email