Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Looksgood

Orphan responses

As a Digest recipient, I see distressingly often posts that say something like "That was a wonderful post and I agree with it completely" with no clue whatever (other than the subject line) which post is being praised. It would be very helpful if people would either quote (briefly) from the post being responded to, or provide a link to it.

Patrick
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    shellebelle

Re: Orphan responses

Good note! What happens is that the digest is from 6pm to 6pm so if the original post is in one day and the new post in another you would see one of them but not both of them, if they are in the same day you would see them both and so on.

If you click on the you can straight to the post and read the whole thing.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Looksgood: View Post
    As a Digest recipient, I see distressingly often posts that say something like "That was a wonderful post and I agree with it completely" with no clue whatever (other than the subject line) which post is being praised. It would be very helpful if people would either quote (briefly) from the post being responded to, or provide a link to it.

Patrick

3. TopTop #3
    Looksgood

Yes, I realize that I can go to the thread, but even that does not always help; by the time someone responds to a particular post in a busy thread, there may well be intervening posts, and there is no way to tell which one they are referring to. Maybe this should be added to the general posting guide. (Is there a general posting guide?)

Patrick

Quote Posted in reply to the post by shellebelle: View Post
    Good note! What happens is that the digest is from 6pm to 6pm so if the original post is in one day and the new post in another you would see one of them but not both of them, if they are in the same day you would see them both and so on.

If you click on the you can straight to the post and read the whole thing.

4. TopTop #4
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Looksgood: View Post
    Is there a general posting guide?
    Not yet, but I plan to post one, particularly addressing the whole area of quoting.